NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-20-2015, 07:36 PM
Peter Spaeth

Default Junk wax anyone?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...y-Detroit.html

Some amazing pictures here.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:38 PM
pete ullman

cool pics is right...worth millions huh? looks like rich kleins house I'd imagine!!!!
Old 08-20-2015, 07:39 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
cool pics is right...worth millions huh? looks like rich kleins house I'd imagine!!!!
My first thought was Fritsch. Yeah millions may be overstating it just a tad.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-20-2015 at 07:42 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:44 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Lmao 1 million bucks??

Jesh the way i see it you would have to pay to rent a dumpster and pay to toss it all in.
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:48 PM
Dan Bretta

counterfeiters? Why would there be loads of uncut sheets in a Detroit warehouse?
Old 08-20-2015, 08:15 PM
Dave

An old Krukscards warehouse?

If as many people have been in there as they say, if there was anything worth anything, somebody would have backed a moving truck up to that building and removed those cards long ago, especially in Detroit.

Cool pictures though. Take a little piece of that, and that's what my bedroom looked like in the early 80's. Drove my mom nuts.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:16 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
counterfeiters? Why would there be loads of uncut sheets in a Detroit warehouse?

I'd guess they're those Junior Hockey League sets that they overproduced in the early 1990's.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:20 PM
T0dd M@rcum

for it to truly be worth 1 million I think you would need around 25,000 cases.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:28 PM

Default Damn..........

THIS SUCKS! now all my 80's and 90's rare baseball cards are worth crap with this find! THANKS ALOT urban explorers.....you just shot my 401 k
Old 08-21-2015, 06:31 AM
rob.ert int.rieri

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilKing00 View Post
Lmao 1 million bucks??

Jesh the way i see it you would have to pay to rent a dumpster and pay to toss it all in.
Exactly right they actually have negative value.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:48 AM
Robert J. Miller

At least one man, who goes by the name of Slanks, regularly frequents the factory to find cards to sell, claiming it has been his primary source of income

I really feel bad for Slanks on this one. What does he eat with his profit? Dog food?
Old 08-21-2015, 08:02 AM
Anthony Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesfan View Post
At least one man, who goes by the name of Slanks, regularly frequents the factory to find cards to sell, claiming it has been his primary source of income

I really feel bad for Slanks on this one. What does he eat with his profit? Dog food?
Probably goes food shopping at the local Dollar General...
Old 08-21-2015, 08:53 AM

I don't think it does anyone any good to mock the poor guys.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:55 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I don't think it does anyone any good to mock the poor guys.
Agree.

Old 08-21-2015, 10:42 AM
Jeff C.

Someone needs to volunteer and open every single box and look for the Frank Thomas NNOF.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit View Post
Exactly right they actually have negative value.
That's just simply not true. You put that as one lot with hundreds of cases in an auction and it will fetch several thousand dollars.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:11 AM
Ben North

I would love to have all those sealed boxes/cases of cards. That is my favorite era of baseball and I would be as happy as a kid in a candy store sitting and opening pack after pack for months.

If someone wants to bring them to me I would be happy to pay the U-Haul bill.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:17 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I think they make their money selling stories to the Daily Mail. If you have cards you think are worth millions of dollars you don't spread them across warehouse floors and sit on them.

For the record, the Daily Mail is a London tabloid one level above the National Enquirer.

Last edited by drcy; 08-21-2015 at 11:24 AM.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:50 AM

Cool picture even if its all modern...Given the sheer volume it probably wouldn't be worth it to sort through them all...but some slabbed modern stuff can bring in some nice change.

Ricky Y
Old 08-21-2015, 12:31 PM
T0dd M@rcum

There's probably a case of something out of all of that. Looks like mostly 1989 Topps baseball, which is the worst of the worse.
Old 08-21-2015, 02:38 PM
Pa.ul Mat.is.ak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
That's just simply not true. You put that as one lot with hundreds of cases in an auction and it will fetch several thousand dollars.
The question is how much to ship hundreds of cases?

Wait I have an idea - site of the next National!
Old 08-21-2015, 02:53 PM
je.sse @rnot

Too bad they didn't find one of those cases of 52 Topps high series in there. Maybe there are still a couple somewhere that didn't get dumped in the ocean.
Old 08-21-2015, 04:39 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
That might be true but unless you pick them up you will have to pay more in shipping than they are worth and I know I wouldn't rent a truck and drive to Detroit to pick up a bunch of 1987 vendor cases. A vendor case costs over $100 to ship, a 1987 vendor case is not worth 100 you can't sell one of those 1987 vendor boxes for $5.00 i don't believe.

Just looked on ebay an 87 topps case just went for $59.00, http://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-Topps-B...item5422f573d5

Last edited by iwantitiwinit; 08-21-2015 at 04:45 PM.
Old 08-21-2015, 04:53 PM
Peter Spaeth

And at the same time, a card of a guy with a .258 average and 20 home runs at age 23 sells for 15K.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BGS-9-5-KRIS...item1ea1ee4440

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-21-2015 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit View Post
That might be true but unless you pick them up you will have to pay more in shipping than they are worth and I know I wouldn't rent a truck and drive to Detroit to pick up a bunch of 1987 vendor cases. A vendor case costs over $100 to ship, a 1987 vendor case is not worth 100 you can't sell one of those 1987 vendor boxes for $5.00 i don't believe.

Just looked on ebay an 87 topps case just went for $59.00, http://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-Topps-B...item5422f573d5
The auction house I work for sells warehouse lots all the time. There is no shortage of people willing to drive hundreds of miles to pick them up.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:31 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
And at the same time, a card of a guy with a .258 average and 20 home runs at age 23 sells for 15K.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BGS-9-5-KRIS...item1ea1ee4440
I don't think that one sells for 15k. It looks like he has one from 2013 that did last month though. What do you think the odds are that card is even worth 1500 in 10 years?
Old 08-21-2015, 08:38 PM
Peter Spaeth

I don't understand the shiny market but it seems to be driven by two things: manufactured scarcity (although there seem to be innumerable barely distinguishable "scarce" versions of the same rookie card) and speculation on players who have in some cases not even put on a uniform, as if they were lock first-ballot HOFers.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-21-2015 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:37 PM
je.sse @rnot

I don't get it either. Although I wish I was opening bowman products Mike Trout's rookie year. I think a few of his cards still have some potential upside, although not without plenty of risk.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:57 AM
Peter Spaeth

Trout is a great player, but at the same time he strikes out a lot (led the league last year), and his stolen bases have fallen way off from his rookie year, so we will see what happens.

Old 08-22-2015, 08:27 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Trout is a great player, but at the same time he strikes out a lot (led the league last year), and his stolen bases have fallen way off from his rookie year, so we will see what happens.
Mickey Mantle led in strike outs 5 times and Babe Ruth did 4 times (5 if you include his pitching years). Leading in Strike Outs means nothing to HOF voters or even fans for that matter.

Matter of fact Mike Trout hit more Home Runs and had a higher OPS than Mantle in both of their 22year old seasons. I am not saying Trout is for sure a 1st round HOF, it is too early to say. I am only saying you can not base it off Strike Outs or Stolen Bases (which Trout also leads Mantle 16-5 in their 22 year old season).
Old 08-22-2015, 08:35 AM
Peter Spaeth

Mantle never struck out more than 120 or so times. Trout already has a 180 under his belt. That's Adam Dunn territory. Along with two 130s. And 116 this year with a month plus to go. Of course he could nevertheless be an all time great, just pointing out a note of caution. And the falloff in stolen bases from his rookie year -- when of course he was considered one of those rare marvels combining power and speed -- has been quite dramatic. 49 33 16 10.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-22-2015 at 08:37 AM.
Old 08-22-2015, 10:59 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Mantle never struck out more than 120 or so times. Trout already has a 180 under his belt. That's Adam Dunn territory. Along with two 130s. And 116 this year with a month plus to go. Of course he could nevertheless be an all time great, just pointing out a note of caution. And the falloff in stolen bases from his rookie year -- when of course he was considered one of those rare marvels combining power and speed -- has been quite dramatic. 49 33 16 10.
I SO/year have increased over the years. We know Ruth as a great home run hitter, but when he played he was known as the King of Strike Outs. Yet his strike out totals were nothing compared to today's players (Ruth never had more than 100 in a season). Then Mantle came along and there were similar talks about his strike outs. Yet, even though he also lead the league, his strikeouts are minimal to today. My point is that just because he leads the league in SO doesn't really matter, when you look at the full scope of his stats. He led the SO the same year he led in Runs, RBI, and Total Bases... Dunn only led in SO and eventually walks.

SO/AB totals for the people mentioned thus far:

Dunn 35%
Trout 26%
Mantle 21%
Ruth 16%

So the fact is Trout is still closer to Mantle than to Dunn.

I do agree that there is a word of caution and it is too early to say he is a great, but I just think looking at SO only can cause you to miss the bigger picture just as some did with Ruth and Mantle when they played because they focused on SO with their all or nothing swings.
Old 08-22-2015, 03:57 PM
Val Kehl

Andy, seeing the SO stats you posted prompted me to look up Bryce Harper's career-to-date stats. His SO to AB is 24.5% - his SO to PA (which I feel is a more meaningful stat) is 21.1%.
Val
Old 08-22-2015, 05:00 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Andy, seeing the SO stats you posted prompted me to look up Bryce Harper's career-to-date stats. His SO to AB is 24.5% - his SO to PA (which I feel is a more meaningful stat) is 21.1%.
Val
I don't look at it compared to PA when in a discussion because it can make someone look better than they are if they have a lot of passes (like Dunn). Either way, though, Harper is very much a great player in his time.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:26 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
I don't look at it compared to PA when in a discussion because it can make someone look better than they are if they have a lot of passes (like Dunn). Either way, though, Harper is very much a great player in his time.
After a couple of so-so injury plagued years he's really having a breakout season. If you believe the analysts he's learning to lay off pitches which with his talent could be a hell of a combination.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-22-2015 at 05:27 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:58 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

A follow up on the "million dollar find" in which the owner realistically gives the paper scrap value...

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...ions/32246965/

Not sure if giving the address was so smart, the place is going to be torn to pieces by tonight.

Last edited by JustinD; 08-24-2015 at 06:00 AM.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:44 AM

I think with the amount of cards there, $150,000 in sales is possible, but once you factor in the time it would take, shipping and listing costs, you would be very far from $150,000 in profits. If someone just got them free outright and had room to store them, then you could piece them out slowly and make a decent amount(minus your time), but in reality it would be a lot of work. Something good for a retired person to make some extra cash I guess, or just go crazy opening them
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS