NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-18-2015, 09:04 AM
Brian T.

Default Variable buyer's premium

Recently, I have been getting several questions about our variable buyer's premium and how it nets more money for consignors. If 3 people had that question in the past couple of days, more probably do as well.

Regarding the variable buyer's premium (or vig)...

If you are like me, you calculate the total amount you are willing to bid on an item (including the vig). Let's say that someone was willing to spend $15k on a particular lot. With an auction house that had a 20% vig, they would bid $12,500 + 20% = $15,000. The consignor would net $12,500.

With an auction house that has a lower bidding increment such as 15% at that level, the bidder could bid $13,000 + 15% = $14,950 and the consignor would net $13,000. In other words, the consignor gets a larger percentage of the total dollars being spent on the item. (In this example, the consignor nets an additional $500 even with the bidder writing a slightly smaller check.)

In the drop down menu for bidding, we list not only the hammer, but also show the vig for that level and the total amount of the bid. I have personally been told by a bidder that he went to the next bidding increment higher than what he was planning simply because he saw that the vig went down... giving him more bang for the buck at that bidding increment. In other words, the variable vig not only nets a higher percentage for the consignor, but it also has been shown to encourage stronger bidding too.

In addition to our interest free cash advances (where you name the amount), we feel that the variable buyer's premium is a win-win. Hopefully, this provides additional insight into the rationale behind our variable buyer's premium structure (which drops down to as low as 12.5%).

Brian Terjung

(844) 2-BID-2-WIN (844)-224-3294
http://www.BST-auctions.com
Old 08-18-2015, 09:14 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Although I haven't had any beers with Brian and he's clearly not a great guy, I think this auction is run really well and the variable buyers' premium structure is a great idea.

Last edited by calvindog; 08-18-2015 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:20 AM
Dave_Berg

Thanks for the info Brian. I really like the idea of a little lower bidding increments...and a variable buyers premium DOES sound like a win-win
Old 08-18-2015, 09:21 AM

I have found the buyers premium structure in BST to be a transparent way to offer the seller "percents back" without the need to negotiate. What I would consider many auction houses playing "games" is removed with this transparency.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:31 AM
John

Love the transparency of seeing my "true bid" right in the dropdown when I'm bidding with BST - I mentioned this in another thread as well. When's the next auction?
Old 08-18-2015, 11:58 AM
Brian T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezHood View Post
Love the transparency of seeing my "true bid" right in the dropdown when I'm bidding with BST - I mentioned this in another thread as well. When's the next auction?

Our next auction is expected to run from late February to mid-March. Interest free cash advances help to make the wait a little more palatable for consignors.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 08-21-2015, 08:21 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

The incremental vig is an interesting idea.....good luck Brian and team!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjung View Post
Our next auction is expected to run from late February to mid-March. Interest free cash advances help to make the wait a little more palatable for consignors.

Thanks for the feedback!

Tags
bst auctions, variable