NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-13-2013, 01:56 PM
N.ate A.dams

Default Donate Your Space-Consuming Modern Cards to an Elementary School

Hey all:

I remember a thread a little while back that discussed this topic of what to do with all of those cards of Greg Gagne, Tom Henke, Rudy Seanez, and Todd Hollandsworth, or Fat Lever, Shawn Bradley, and Bimbo Coles if we're talking about basketball. I couldn't find the thread, but I mentioned briefly what I did with mine.

Anyway, my brother and I would go to card shops as kids (mid 90s), and amassed many cards of no real monetary value --- as I am sure many of you did as well. They now either make our parents upset, or our wives, as they occupy space in bins or boxes, because we simply can't throw them away. In WI, where I grew up, some of the card shops would have raffles, and many of the prizes included boxes that would hold 750 cards (fun for kids, but I remember really being a kid that paid attention to "Beckett" prices, and noticed that they literally removed every card that was a RC or any type of semi-star). We probably won 20 over the course of a few years.

We also would acquire any cards found by my dad, who at the time owned 13 inner-city properties that he rented out. We got bins full of them. I'm now in my 4th year of teaching (music) at an inner-city school which happens to be one of, if not the toughest elementary school in the county,and I brought all of those cards to school a couple years back and still have a few thousand here (I probably had 8 or 9 thousand baseball/basketball/football cards that I brought from home).

The kids love them, and it has helped to completely turn around some of the students' behavior. It's a behavior incentive program I use for certain kids in my class, as well as how they behave in their normal classroom. Entire classes will also frequently get them if they had an especially good day in my classroom. I'm rather tough though, which you have to be here, so if any kid asks me for one, I say no. The idea is always having to earn it, never getting what they ask for or want. The students absolutely love it, from K-5. They ask all the time. I'd like to be able to give them to various classroom teachers, and have done so, but I run out quickly when I start doing that. I'd like to have more to give away.

If you are interested in donating cards (nothing of any value), the only thing required would be to ship them to me in any type of box, and they do NOT need to be neatly arranged. They can be stacked, piled, unwrapped, and condition does not matter at all. The only reason why there would be a need to organize them would be to include as many as possible in one shipment. School closes June 6th down here, so they would need to be shipped before that so that I can bring them to school and not have them sitting at my house!

If you're at all interested, contact me at with the header of "WRES Sports Card Donation" along with your name:

the.cards.of.our.pastime@gmail.com

P.S. If you donate cards, I will take a picture of them at their home within my classroom to offer some finality to your donation. I want to make sure you know they went to their destined place!

Last edited by npa589; 05-13-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:12 PM
Brad

Great idea. Email sent.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:50 PM
N.ate A.dams

Awesome! Thank you Brad!
Old 05-13-2013, 03:09 PM
N.ate A.dams

Here are some reasons to donate:

1. It literally serves as a huge incentive for many students to make better choices while at school --- if only for the reason that they realize there is a teacher willing to show enough interest to reward them when they actually DO do something right. Many of the most challenging kids are ones that only hear about what they do wrong, so much so, that that is what becomes their identity.

2. Their excitement level when they get to pick out a card is unreal, just like when we would go with our Dads, brothers, or whomever to open up a pack, or go home and sift through the cards we already had. By the way, in my boxes, I also had a ton of empty packs from who knows how many mid 90s sets (mostly baseball and basketball). I put like 5 cards in an empty pack for certain students that are in the program if they had a "good day". If a kid is in the program, all they have to do, when not in my class, is show me their Behavior plan and that they had a "Smiley face" for that day, and out comes 2 or 3 cards.

3. These kids are growing up in a generation where collecting cards isn't as widespread, and many of them keep all the cards I've given them, and begin to organize and put them in groups. (Sound familiar you guys?). I've given some old 9-pocket pages I had to some kids as well so that they can organize them. In 15 years, who knows, some of them may be on Net54 talking with us. Many of the kids love sports, especially the ones that receive the most cards for "good days".

4. I figure I have given cards to over 600 different kids in 2+ years of doing this. It's not the cards as much as it is the attention, mentoring, and interest shown, but I know they have helped as a vehicle to bring kids from level 1s to level 3s. "Do your homework, read at home, get your behavior/learning plan signed by your teacher, and you get a card."

Last edited by npa589; 05-13-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:16 PM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

What do you do for girls in your classes? Do they enjoy them as much, or do you have different incentives for them?

I was going to make up a box for a neighbor who's a teacher (loved the idea, obviously), but I didn't want to just be making up something for half of her class...
Old 05-13-2013, 03:32 PM
N.ate A.dams

Depends on the age for girls in the school, typically. 4th and 5th grade girls don't care as much, but K-3 (especially K-2) are ecstatic that they were given a reward. The situations for many of these kids is far below ideal (a completely different topic), so anything that they receive (or anything they earn, which is what I stress) is like a small treasure. A very high percentage of the behavioral challenges, however, are with the boys --- which is what prompted me to bring in cards in the first place. All the kids I "mentor" are boys, and even though I'm the music teacher, I played baseball and basketball extensively through high-school --- so, when able, I'll go out to P.E. and chuck the football around and school them in basketball. The ability to connect with kids that are in need of positive influence via both music and sports is definitely a benefit. I love Brahms, Beethoven, Bach, and Mozart as much as anyone, yet listened to some Eminem as well before basketball games. The cards are an added vehicle of the connection with interest in sports, as they are aware that the cards were mine.

Last edited by npa589; 05-13-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:17 PM
Chr!$ "Bubba" L@mb

PM coming your way. I will dig some cards out as soon as I can and send them your way. I have tons of modern base cards (stars included) just laying around.

Excellent question by "cubsfan-budman" I never would have thought to ask what the girls in you class would like. I have some oddball non sports stuff; I will see if some of that might be appealing to them.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:03 AM
Mike

Email sent
Mike Wrenn
Old 05-21-2013, 05:53 PM
N.ate A.dams

Now, my guess is that he won't want me to post this --- but I just want people to be aware of a relatively new member who gave privately.

KCRfan1 sent a great group of cards, including a '52 Topps Card and a signed Andruw Jones card.

I'm a music teacher, and am consequentially rather creative --- so I can hype up just about anything. Remember those 25 cent stars (The blue, green, silver, gold, and red ones)? My first year of teaching, I didn't want to waste anything --- so after using all the stars on a certain sheet, i'd tear up the remaining outlining-stickers and tell the students they were sticker rings, and sticker bracelets. Again, this area is impoverished, so this was gold. They'd wear them proudly for 3 days sometimes. About the cards given by Lou, there are certain kids who have shown marked improvement over this year and past years, and have literally changed their futures, and I will absolutely make sure that these cards are described as though they are gold, and they will know exactly why they have earned these amazing cards over the course of a few years. I won't describe them as gold because of any type of monetary worth, but in what they represent. The kids will know that someone in a completely different state SENT these across the country because they care about their future. I'm sure that it will stay with them just like any certificate of achievement, or 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th place ribbon does as well.

KCRfan1/Lou S.: If I had an emoticon that applauded, it would go here. Thank you sir.

Many more thanks to come. The great thing is that most of you couldn't care less about being publicly thanked --- which in and of itself is awesome, and is why I want to publicly thank you!

Last edited by npa589; 05-21-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:01 AM

Default Wres

Wow, interesting idea. Emil sent.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:17 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

nice job KCRfan1!
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:13 AM
Larrie Dean

Default Cards for kids!

My wife taught elrmrntary school children for 40 years! K-5 teachers have what they call "treasure boxes" for the children when they finish a project, etc. I have been putting my $1.00 and under cards in team bags----25 cards a bag with at least 4 or 5 star cards in each and giving these team bags to the teachers at two schools for the past five years. I am told the cards are among the most popular treasures!
Old 05-24-2013, 05:54 PM
N.ate A.dams

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie804 View Post
My wife taught elrmrntary school children for 40 years! K-5 teachers have what they call "treasure boxes" for the children when they finish a project, etc. I have been putting my $1.00 and under cards in team bags----25 cards a bag with at least 4 or 5 star cards in each and giving these team bags to the teachers at two schools for the past five years. I am told the cards are among the most popular treasures!
Couldn't be more accurate. Thanks for sharing that with us Larrie. I'm sure the teachers have told you that it really does make a difference. Many kids need a lot to be motivated to learn. Though i teach music, I integrate mathematics into reading music quite a bit. 1. I love math, 2. Math and music are very similar. Anyway, I've had kids tabulate the statistics on the back of cards, and they love it. I remember doing that as a kid, just for fun... Anyone else with me on that?

I've given many to individual teachers at my school, and the goal is to be able to include it within the School-wide Behavior/Incentive plan that we come up with at the beginning of each school year.

I just was told by MWheat that he is sending some unopened packs.

You guys are awesome!

Last edited by npa589; 05-24-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:14 AM
N.ate A.dams

This won't come as a surprise to anyone, but there are some philanthropists on Net54. Some all around good guys who are donating to kids that they've never met, and in all likelihood will never meet.

Mi.ke Wr.enn & Mi.ke Whe.at: Teachers now know about your boxes, because they saw them in the mailing room, and were wondering what they were for. When I explained briefly the request I made on a forum, and the responses I received, jaws dropped --- because, as everyone knows, it's not cheap to ship large packages, yet they sent without a question. They were amazed that people were willing to donate and send cards to students they never met.

I already have a student eyeing the Andruw Jones signed SP Authentic card (Lou. S/kcrfan) for good behavior the rest of the year. I believe he has 11 or 12 brothers and sisters, and lack of attention is probably what has been the impetus for some serious behavioral issues. He says his dad is a Braves fan and that they are displaying the cards on his dresser. I asked his homeroom teacher how he's been and she darted her eyes at me saying "He has been exceptionally happy the last few days". MWrenn(brookdodger) sent an incredible amount of ridiculously appealing cards to the kids, and they basically Ooo and Aah while I'm showing/speaking about them these last couple weeks of school. For that particular student, he has already received a few Chrome Yankees cards and Braves cards (Jermaine Dye RC).

MWheat sent who knows how many cards, and some unopened packs. I just picked them up this morning, so the students haven't seen them yet, but the stunned looks on their faces will be priceless, and then they'll look up at me with eyes that communicate "What do I have to do to earn those."

Periodically yesterday, through each class, I'd ask "And how do you get a card from Mr. Adams?" Whoever said "You have to earn it" would get 2 cards from MWrenn's stash.

At the beginning of next year, I'm going to set up a really nice Card Station with some creative names using the last name of the generous donaters. You may all become Dr.'s by the beginning of next year! I'll post a picture when I do.

Again, thank you all, this is awesome...

1st pic: MWrenn's donation in mailing room, unopened.
2nd pic: MWheat's donation that was received this morning
3rd pic: MWrenn's donation that is being displayed on a table in my room.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130528_143618.jpg (61.6 KB, 365 views)
File Type: jpg 20130531_083651.jpg (72.2 KB, 363 views)
File Type: jpg 20130531_090746.jpg (70.5 KB, 364 views)
Old 05-31-2013, 07:20 AM
Chr!$ "Bubba" L@mb

Awesome work everyone!

Nate, I probably won't have time to get together a package for a few weeks still. Is there a set timetable on this or will it be a continual program?

Also, if any other teachers would like to start a similar program please come forward as I am sure there is plenty to go around.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:32 AM
N.ate A.dams

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterose4hof View Post
Awesome work everyone!

Nate, I probably won't have time to get together a package for a few weeks still. Is there a set timetable on this or will it be a continual program?

Also, if any other teachers would like to start a similar program please come forward as I am sure there is plenty to go around.

+1

Hopefully more teachers jump in on this, and if none do from Net54, definitely contact your local elementary school to talk to the Guidance Counselor/PE Coach or whoever is interested in utilizing sports cards in a School-Wide behavior/incentive plan. It usually won't be the music teacher...

Not a problem at all Chris --- you can wait until the beginning of next school year if you'd like, as I will reprise this thread around that time. My last day is really Thursday of next week, as Friday is a work day and I'll be GONE by 11 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:57 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

hmmmm just a question, what if the package arrives after Thursday?
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:08 AM
Chr!$ "Bubba" L@mb

Quote:
Originally Posted by npa589 View Post
+1

Hopefully more teachers jump in on this, and if none do from Net54, definitely contact your local elementary school to talk to the Guidance Counselor/PE Coach or whoever is interested in utilizing sports cards in a School-Wide behavior/incentive plan. It usually won't be the music teacher...

Not a problem at all Chris --- you can wait until the beginning of next school year if you'd like, as I will reprise this thread around that time. My last day is really Thursday of next week, as Friday is a work day and I'll be GONE by 11 AM.
Ok, I will gather things together over the summer and ship them all in early Sept.

Enjoy your summer!
Old 05-31-2013, 08:13 AM
N.ate A.dams

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilKing00 View Post
hmmmm just a question, what if the package arrives after Thursday?

I'm not entirely sure, but my guess is that it'll either be held at the district office, or someone will be here at my school. I'm almost positive they aren't sent back to the sender, as there is a lot of mail that is delivered to the school throughout the summer. There are multiple 12-month employees on every school campus, and they will be at school on the Monday after the final day with students.

I will check with administration to be sure.

Last edited by npa589; 05-31-2013 at 08:14 AM.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:30 AM
N.ate A.dams

Hey all, it's been a while! The hobby has reluctantly taken a back seat in my life, and it wasn't planned. I've been so honed in on various home projects that I just haven't had the time.

Anyway, first day of school today - and wanted to push this back up to the top.

I can't really express how amazed I was by the generosity of many of you that donated to this cause, and it has most certainly been very successful. My sister-in-law teaches at a middle school now near me, where some of my students are bused in to attend, and every student she has talked to (usually is challenged with regard to behavior) remembers the cards I gave out when they were earned.

There are countless students who keep all of their cards in their backpack now, others who protect them at home, letting me know how many they have now. In fact, probably 15 students told me "I have *number cards at home!" this morning as they just saw me passing in the hallway trying to help with the chaos that is the first day. They also will trade them - it's remarkable, like a time warp. For the students who don't like them, I've told them to barter with other students who do want them - it's pretty funny seeing a kid trade a basketball card for a few cheetos.

Anyway - I'm nearly depleted of basketball and football, and wanted to provide the opportunity to again donate if you would like to!

Any football/basketball from any era - no matter how little value or who the player is - will be incredible. Condition is unimportant. Michael Jordans, etc, have a special place and they are earned over the course of months or a year. I have thousands of baseball cards still, both from my upbringing, and others who have donated. Basketball/football are certainly the most popular where I teach, though I can promise you I have added to the ranks of baseball fans as well - so as of right now, they are very high in demand - though I will of course take anything. (With some of the more advanced students - I have walked them through understanding the statistics on the back - something I loved doing as a kid).

If you are interested - email is the best: npa589 at gmail dot com

I'll provide you with the school address and can answer any questions you have as well.

If you would like a letter for tax purposes - I can easily provide that as well.

Hope you all are well and I look forward to speaking/hearing from some of you!

Nate

Last edited by npa589; 08-17-2015 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-18-2015, 02:52 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

This is a great thing of you to do for the kiddos, Nate. Good luck with everything. I think I have a few newer cards I can send soon too. Take care (please shoot me a PM with the shipping address)......LL

Quote:
Originally Posted by npa589 View Post
Hey all, it's been a while! The hobby has reluctantly taken a back seat in my life, and it wasn't planned. I've been so honed in on various home projects that I just haven't had the time.

Anyway, first day of school today - and wanted to push this back up to the top.

I can't really express how amazed I was by the generosity of many of you that donated to this cause, and it has most certainly been very successful. My sister-in-law teaches at a middle school now near me, where some of my students are bused in to attend, and every student she has talked to (usually is challenged with regard to behavior) remembers the cards I gave out when they were earned.

There are countless students who keep all of their cards in their backpack now, others who protect them at home, letting me know how many they have now. In fact, probably 15 students told me "I have *number cards at home!" this morning as they just saw me passing in the hallway trying to help with the chaos that is the first day. They also will trade them - it's remarkable, like a time warp. For the students who don't like them, I've told them to barter with other students who do want them - it's pretty funny seeing a kid trade a basketball card for a few cheetos.

Anyway - I'm nearly depleted of basketball and football, and wanted to provide the opportunity to again donate if you would like to!

Any football/basketball from any era - no matter how little value or who the player is - will be incredible. Condition is unimportant. Michael Jordans, etc, have a special place and they are earned over the course of months or a year. I have thousands of baseball cards still, both from my upbringing, and others who have donated. Basketball/football are certainly the most popular where I teach, though I can promise you I have added to the ranks of baseball fans as well - so as of right now, they are very high in demand - though I will of course take anything. (With some of the more advanced students - I have walked them through understanding the statistics on the back - something I loved doing as a kid).

If you are interested - email is the best: npa589 at gmail dot com

I'll provide you with the school address and can answer any questions you have as well.

If you would like a letter for tax purposes - I can easily provide that as well.

Hope you all are well and I look forward to speaking/hearing from some of you!

Nate

Last edited by Leon; 08-19-2015 at 06:34 AM.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:12 PM
Mike Mullins

This is awesome. I have a few BB/FB cards that I would be happy to send your way. I have a ton of baseball cards too but it sounds like you're good there...

mm
Old 08-18-2015, 05:15 PM
M.att C H A R L T O N

Ditto to all above. I have some stuff for the kids as well. Nate please PM your the school address and I'll get a care package in the mail.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:59 PM

Default Nate....

THIS IS GREAT! this is how the youth will continue our hobby..........
Old 08-19-2015, 06:28 AM
Scott Levy

I have a few unopened cases of 1990-91 proset football - it was Emmitt Smith's rookie year but aside from that probably not that collectable. Do you have a need for that level of quantity of cards? If so, it's free since it's going to a good cause ... And the kids may like opening up packs

Shoot me an email if interested
Scottglevy@yahoo.com
Old 08-19-2015, 07:07 AM
Chris

Default Baseball cards/school

I'm retired teacher and my wife is still teaching 4th grade. We do a baseball unit in the spring and the girls get as excited as the boys. Even had one girl look up a player with her same last name. She went home with the Giants Chris Heston rookie card.

Great idea for motivation, it's great the kids buy into it. The baseball cards themselves show diversity in geography and race and can be used for math.
Heck, who needs books, let's use baseball cards. Those 1960 Topps and their Heritage counterpart even have some good reading on the back.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:36 AM
N.ate A.dams

I'm not sure if I mentioned this in my original post, but I also started utilizing this to stop bullying. Already in my class, students know that it isn't accepted at all, not even the slightest comment. Whenever a student says anything negative or discouraging towards a student or about a student, I will allow the targeted student to choose any card. If the bully says "I don't care", the other student gets another one. If they continue to say anything at all, the student gets a card every time the other student says something about them. Any student that politely stands up for another student will also receive a card. This has probably happened 20-25 times in 3 years, and usually it is the bully only saying "I don't care, give him/her a card." - and they will repeat it multiple times to try and prove that they don't care. Even if they shrug their shoulders, the targeted student gets another card. Every single time this has happened, it always has resulted in the bully completely stopping making fun of the person or even saying that they don't care, and every other student making sure it is known they are on the team of the targeted student. I've also done the same thing for students in other classes or elsewhere on campus who decided not to engage in a fight with another student.

Keep any other ideas you have coming as well, I know there are a lot of teachers and teacher's spouses on here.

Last edited by npa589; 08-19-2015 at 12:10 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:18 PM

Default Address?

I'd be glad to help out! Send me an address to where I can ship them. Sam Majors
Old 09-15-2015, 05:10 PM
Scott Maxell

I placed a box of 200 or so 2015 Topps commons in my classroom inviting students to take a few. The cards were a hit, gone within the first 2 weeks.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2015, 04:37 PM
Greg Z@y@tz

I would be MORE THAN HAPPY to send what I can to whomever(s) can put them to such GREAT use! Please send an e-mail or PM to me - rzayatz@roadrunner.com with an address to where I can send 'em!

THANKS!
Old 09-21-2015, 01:59 PM
N.ate A.dams

Hey everyone, sorry if I didn't get back to you. If that is the case, please send me an e-mail to npa589@gmail.com

The donations already have been phenomenal. If I didn't personally thank you......thank you. Here is a picture of what I set up - certainly not fancy by any means - decoration isn't my forte!

The butcher paper in the background is for them to "Leave their mark" as WRES Hall of Famers. They sign their name if they earn a card individually.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg natecards-300x225.jpg (22.2 KB, 65 views)
Old 09-29-2015, 08:08 AM
N.ate A.dams

Mr. Lemo.igne, Mr. Dan.zi, Mr. Miran.da, and Leon --- your cards all arrived. Thank you so much! The students are pumped so see that table overflowing with cards.

I'm now going to work on a worksheet (4 on one piece of paper) that asks them to do brief research on each player. Already had one of the students that plays baseball go home and research Joe DiMaggio. That was from one of the 2001 Upper Deck cards that Mr. Frank Burk.ett supplied. Thanks Frank!