NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-05-2021, 12:49 PM
Bob
Bob Comm.entucci

Default Any News on PWCC Auctions Going Forward?

Has anyone heard the latest on PWCC's status going forward? That includes any news on their own auctions after having been dropped by EBay. I see they still have the monthly 'Premier' auctions, but those are high end offerings only. They were supposed to have unveiled their plans by now, and yet there is nothing new on their website.
Old 10-05-2021, 12:51 PM
Steve Birmingham

Probably busy making the regular cards into "high end" cards.
Old 10-05-2021, 12:51 PM
Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
agree!!
Old 10-05-2021, 02:37 PM
Drew W@i$e

Very interesting that nothing has come out yet.
Old 10-05-2021, 02:37 PM

I saw this article about this 'issue':

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/former-...130046208.html

Brian
Old 10-05-2021, 02:40 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
I saw this article about this 'issue':

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/former-...130046208.html

Brian
Interesting article thanks

I will be sitting out on the side lines for now and waiting to see how things play out.

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 10-05-2021, 03:34 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Their new platform is live. The current monthly auction has 42,378 cards in it. Bidding starts for baseball on 10/7 and ends on 10/24. Then basketball starts 10/8 and ends 10/25. Other sports stagger from there, and the final auctions end on 10/29.

I see a ton of great cards in this auction. Looks like they have 3 Wilt Chamberlain rookies, plenty of Babe Ruth and Ty Cobb, 1200+ Michael Jordan cards, etc. Might find some great deals if everyone else is avoiding them like the plague.

https://www.pwccmarketplace.com/current-auction?
Old 10-05-2021, 03:42 PM
Johnny MaZilli

I think they’re going have Blowout/Record reported sales on their first auction.
Old 10-05-2021, 03:45 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
I think they’re going have Blowout/Record reported sales on their first auction.

Amazing, and a new slew of nitwits consigning wondering why their sales were outliers...

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 10-05-2021, 03:46 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Why would they do better off eBay, which clearly reaches many many more eyes around the world than someone's private platform?
Old 10-05-2021, 03:48 PM
Bill Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Their new platform is live. The current monthly auction has 42,378 cards in it. Bidding starts for baseball on 10/7 and ends on 10/24. Then basketball starts 10/8 and ends 10/25. Other sports stagger from there, and the final auctions end on 10/29.

I see a ton of great cards in this auction. Looks like they have 3 Wilt Chamberlain rookies, plenty of Babe Ruth and Ty Cobb, 1200+ Michael Jordan cards, etc. Might find some great deals if everyone else is avoiding them like the plague.

https://www.pwccmarketplace.com/current-auction?
Lol. You should ask Brent for a raise.
Old 10-05-2021, 03:49 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Why would they do better off eBay, which clearly reaches many many more eyes around the world than someone's private platform?
Steve Noticed what I said, “REPORTED RECORD SALES”

Don’t they have to save face at this particular time ?
Old 10-05-2021, 03:50 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

He may mean they’re going to post as many nice cards as they can and even if they don’t technically do better they can manipulate numbers and use the numbers as they see fit - “highest grossing auction ever” type thing.
Old 10-05-2021, 03:53 PM
Ro.b Gui.1fo.y1e

They are running premier auctions and read something today where they will start their normal auctions similar to their ebay auctions starting 10/6 I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-05-2021, 03:55 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Steve Noticed what I said, “REPORTED RECORD SALES”

Don’t they have to save face at this particular time ?
Yes, you have a point there. They will claim record sales. And some idiots will believe them.

Like a shoe manufacturer telling people after they were kicked off Amazon that they've never sold more shoes on line.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 10-05-2021 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10-05-2021, 04:08 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Yes, you have a point there. They will claim record sales. And some idiots will believe them.

Like a shoe manufacturer telling people after they were kicked off Amazon that they've never sold more shoes on line.
Exactly!
Old 10-05-2021, 04:20 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Haha that’s perfect. Sadly, I will be looking at what they have. eBay has been pretty quiet without them and I’ve taken a beating on things I want at AHs.
Old 10-05-2021, 04:34 PM
Dav1d Sh1p$ey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRoberts View Post
Lol. You should ask Brent for a raise.
I don't think anyone has done as much damage control as this guy. He or she is either Brent, Betsy, a close relative, or on the payroll.
Old 10-05-2021, 04:51 PM
Kev1n @1les

Josh called me today to let me know that the website was up and running and to encourage me to participate in the October auction as there were over 42,000 items for sale and "there could be some deals to be had."

My response:
1.) While the deals to be had for the collectors would be great, I would be pretty upset as a consigner if that is what they think will happen. He said that there will be plenty of word of mouth and eventually people would come to register for the site. They were very bullish on the November auction.

2.) I asked about their software and if they could see ceiling bids. He said that they hired a 3rd party and would not have visibility to those.

3.) I asked about shill bidding and their response to Ebay as that is defamation if not true and their entire reputation and brand is at risk with that allegation. He said that the way that it is worded, puts them at risk - in the sense that they could not guarantee that someone's friend pushed a bid (not to their knowledge, but it would be hard to defend against the wording). He said that the new platform would actually help against that because it would protect against shell accounts and burner accounts being made in order to shill a bid - as it would require verified registration. He also said that it would probably be futile going up the resources of such a large company - to which I replied that if my reputation was at stake and it was untrue, I would fight to my last dollar to clear my name.

He did add that their policies prohibit any house bidding on items and any vested interest from their team bidding in an auction.

It was a nice conversation and he had an answer for everything that I asked. It sounds like the platform will be similar in execution to many of the other auction houses with an online platform.

I'm not buying much at the time as I can't seem to adjust to new prices and where the bids are going. I'll probably keep an eye on it to see the prices realized, but I don't see myself jumping in right away even if was actively adding to the collection right now.

53-55 Red Mans Complete Set
Old 10-05-2021, 05:23 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipk1068 View Post
I don't think anyone has done as much damage control as this guy. He or she is either Brent, Betsy, a close relative, or on the payroll.
Or perhaps just a collector who decided to answer the question posed in the title of this thread since prior to my post, the discussion hadn't mentioned that their new platform was in fact up and running.
Old 10-05-2021, 06:17 PM
Bob
Bob Comm.entucci

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYYFan63 View Post
They are running premier auctions and read something today where they will start their normal auctions similar to their ebay auctions starting 10/6 I believe.

THIS is what I thought they were going to do. Right now, their Premier auctions won't be viable for most collectors, with only top flight stuff available.

I'm a T206 collector. Right now they only have 1 T206 at auction: a PSA 6 Red Cobb. These types of high end auctions are not going to get them to the next level. They need to get back to the auctions they had on EBay, where they had many more people taking part of the auctions with more common /affordable cards available.
Old 10-05-2021, 06:22 PM
Bob
Bob Comm.entucci

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailes2872 View Post
Josh called me today to let me know that the website was up and running and to encourage me to participate in the October auction as there were over 42,000 items for sale and "there could be some deals to be had."

My response:
1.) While the deals to be had for the collectors would be great, I would be pretty upset as a consigner if that is what they think will happen. He said that there will be plenty of word of mouth and eventually people would come to register for the site. They were very bullish on the November auction.

2.) I asked about their software and if they could see ceiling bids. He said that they hired a 3rd party and would not have visibility to those.

3.) I asked about shill bidding and their response to Ebay as that is defamation if not true and their entire reputation and brand is at risk with that allegation. He said that the way that it is worded, puts them at risk - in the sense that they could not guarantee that someone's friend pushed a bid (not to their knowledge, but it would be hard to defend against the wording). He said that the new platform would actually help against that because it would protect against shell accounts and burner accounts being made in order to shill a bid - as it would require verified registration. He also said that it would probably be futile going up the resources of such a large company - to which I replied that if my reputation was at stake and it was untrue, I would fight to my last dollar to clear my name.

He did add that their policies prohibit any house bidding on items and any vested interest from their team bidding in an auction.

It was a nice conversation and he had an answer for everything that I asked. It sounds like the platform will be similar in execution to many of the other auction houses with an online platform.

I'm not buying much at the time as I can't seem to adjust to new prices and where the bids are going. I'll probably keep an eye on it to see the prices realized, but I don't see myself jumping in right away even if was actively adding to the collection right now.
Big question here is: will they be hitting winners with a 20% premium added on to the hammer price? If so, I'm out.
Old 10-05-2021, 06:27 PM
Ro.b Gui.1fo.y1e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbycee View Post
THIS is what I thought they were going to do. Right now, their Premier auctions won't be viable for most collectors, with only top flight stuff available.

I'm a T206 collector. Right now they only have 1 T206 at auction: a PSA 6 Red Cobb. These types of high end auctions are not going to get them to the next level. They need to get back to the auctions they had on EBay, where they had many more people taking part of the auctions with more common /affordable cards available.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUpyTRDJ...dium=copy_link

Old 10-05-2021, 06:28 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
Lol.
Old 10-05-2021, 06:29 PM
Jamie

For anyone interested on the Collectible Daily podcast today they had a PWCC guy on talking about their new auction service. I listened on the way to work and from what I read they finished it quicker than expected and it will change. It will be a rolling auction, with the ability to have extensions that will speed up (vs the 15 minute version).

He did address eBay.

The podcast is about 10 minutes long.

Last edited by Schlesinj; 10-05-2021 at 06:32 PM.
Old 10-05-2021, 09:21 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Since PWCC's ebay exit in mid-August, I have bought a grand total of 0 (zero) cards, simply because the cards I'm looking for haven't been there.

Normally, I'd average around 10-20 cards (from all sellers) each and every month.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox

Last edited by Steve D; 10-05-2021 at 09:22 PM.
Old 10-05-2021, 10:02 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:

There are 240 T206s currently listed on their new monthly auctions platform. All starting at $10.

https://www.pwccmarketplace.com/monthly-auction?q=T206
Old 10-05-2021, 11:58 PM
Brian May
Bri.an M@y

Wait.

So they’re having a monthly auction with 42,000 lots, but they’re relying on “word of mouth”, and they lack any direct communication line to notify many of their former eBay customers - unless if those customers already had a registered PWCC account ?

What ? I’m not sure they thought this through.
Quick math says they’re auctioning twice as many cards to a fraction of their previous buyers.

I might grab some popcorn for this.

Last edited by troutbum97; 10-06-2021 at 12:00 AM.
Old 10-06-2021, 04:19 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbum97 View Post
Wait.

So they’re having a monthly auction with 42,000 lots, but they’re relying on “word of mouth”, and they lack any direct communication line to notify many of their former eBay customers - unless if those customers already had a registered PWCC account ?

What ? I’m not sure they thought this through.
Quick math says they’re auctioning twice as many cards to a fraction of their previous buyers.

I might grab some popcorn for this.
Supposedly, they have well over 100,000 active buyers' email addresses that have purchased cards from them in the past, per the podcast interview I heard with them. They're also pretty good at marketing on social media. Will be interesting to see some what the bid prices are. I'm sure there will be plenty of cards that slip through the cracks. There always is. But I doubt the high-end cards that are highly sought after are going to be selling for bargain prices. Something tells me that the Ty Cobbs won't be cheap.
Old 10-06-2021, 05:29 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Supposedly, they have well over 100,000 active buyers' email addresses that have purchased cards from them in the past, per the podcast interview I heard with them. They're also pretty good at marketing on social media. Will be interesting to see some what the bid prices are. I'm sure there will be plenty of cards that slip through the cracks. There always is. But I doubt the high-end cards that are highly sought after are going to be selling for bargain prices. Something tells me that the Ty Cobbs won't be cheap.
Wow that is a lot of potential clients for them plus as someone said they are strong on social media.
Plus they are now on AuctionReport.com so they are getting the word out.
Plus they usually have a lot of cards that collectors want/need

I hate to admit it but I do spot check them to see if there are any cards of interest.

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 10-06-2021, 06:03 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
Wow that is a lot of potential clients for them plus as someone said they are strong on social media.
Plus they are now on AuctionReport.com so they are getting the word out.
Plus they usually have a lot of cards that collectors want/need

I hate to admit it but I do spot check them to see if there are any cards of interest.
Auction Report has been pimping PWCC recently heavy duty on Twitter. Guess entirely coincidental.
Old 10-06-2021, 06:08 AM
Scott Russell

Auction report charges for all of those types of services.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 10-06-2021, 06:12 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Auction report charges for all of those types of services.
Looks like they landed a nice new client desperate for publicity.
Old 10-06-2021, 08:44 AM
Michael C

Quote:
Supposedly, they have well over 100,000 active buyers' email addresses that have purchased cards from them in the past,
I've recently ended up on their email list and I have never bought an item from PWCC or signed up on any of their sites.
Old 10-06-2021, 08:51 AM
Bob
Bob Comm.entucci

Quote:
There are 240 T206s currently listed on their new monthly auctions platform. All starting at $10.

https://www.pwccmarketplace.com/monthly-auction?q=T206
Thanks for pointing this out. Until now, I had just thought they were only doing a high end "premier" type auction. They have done a terrible job on their website differentiating between the October auction & Premier. I guess they only put up the new-October auction within the last day.
Old 10-06-2021, 11:19 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc32 View Post
I've recently ended up on their email list and I have never bought an item from PWCC or signed up on any of their sites.
That's interesting. I wonder if they purchased a lead list from somewhere? I know the sports betting websites do that.

Quote:
Thanks for pointing this out. Until now, I had just thought they were only doing a high end "premier" type auction. They have done a terrible job on their website differentiating between the October auction & Premier. I guess they only put up the new-October auction within the last day.
Ya, my understanding is that it just launched yesterday. I learned about it on social media.
Old 10-06-2021, 12:53 PM
Ben
ben tay/lor

It's still selling on ebay under the name pristinemjsports
Old 10-06-2021, 03:37 PM
Ton.y Be.ll

PWCC has an auction starting tomorrow with a lot of cards I'm interested in.

I'm about to signup/register now.

Collecting:
1909-1911 T206 Southern Leaguers (Alabama)
1914 Cracker Jack Set (91 out of 145)
Old 10-06-2021, 03:47 PM

Is PWCC charging a buyers premium on their regular, monthly auctions? (They do charge the normal 20% BP on their premium auction)
Old 10-06-2021, 04:46 PM
Ton.y Be.ll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Is PWCC charging a buyers premium on their regular, monthly auctions? (They do charge the normal 20% BP on their premium auction)
Ryan this is what I received from PWCC:
Hello Tony. There is not a buyers premium for items in our Monthly auctions. For full details on the New Monthly Auction you can see our FAQ through the link below and the fees on the link below that.

https://www.pwccmarketplace.com/faq#about-monthly
https://www.pwccmarketplace.com/submit-to-auction

Collecting:
Old 10-06-2021, 04:46 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
I was wondering the same thing, but couldn't find any mention of it on their website. I doubt they will though. I think it's safe to assume the answer is no unless the listings themselves state otherwise. On their Premier Auctions, it notifies you of a 20% buyer's premium every time you bid, so I assume these would be the same if it applied.

From a business process standpoint, I think it would be a mistake for them to do it that way since most of these buyers and consigners are used to dealing with them through eBay and are used to just paying PWCC a consignment fee of x% of the closing price. I think BPs are seen more in the premium auction house space, so they probably won't want to introduce that onto this new platform as it would certainly upset a sizeable portion of their customer base.
Old 10-06-2021, 04:59 PM
Keith
ke.ith tem.ple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc32 View Post
Yeah, I got the marketing shpiel saying I was in the top ten percent of their clients in buying activity (or some such sales bs). Interesting since I have not bought anything from them in over four years.
...whatever I want
Old 10-06-2021, 05:48 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmondobueno View Post
Yeah, I got the marketing shpiel saying I was in the top ten percent of their clients in buying activity (or some such sales bs). Interesting since I have not bought anything from them in over four years.
Everyone gets that apparently lol.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-06-2021, 07:46 PM

Thanks Tony!
Old 10-24-2021, 09:51 PM
Ton.y Be.ll

Quote:
Thanks Tony!
YW!

There were some very strong prices in the auction that closed tonight...there were also some bargains to be had

Hopefully the 3rd party IT preventing shill bidding worked...I will say some cards I bid on/followed went for a whole lot more (more than double) than I anticipated even without BP

I like the extended bidding aspect PWCC built into the auction especially the lot by lot closing...maybe some of the major auction houses will adopt and follow this format

Collecting:
Old 10-24-2021, 10:40 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidnapped18 View Post
YW!

There were some very strong prices in the auction that closed tonight...there were also some bargains to be had

Hopefully the 3rd party IT preventing shill bidding worked...I will say some cards I bid on/followed went for a whole lot more (more than double) than I anticipated even without BP

I like the extended bidding aspect PWCC built into the auction especially the lot by lot closing...maybe some of the major auction houses will adopt and follow this format
Ya I liked the format as well. Although it definitely cost me tonight in a few auctions. There were a lot of great deals tonight for sure (I saw a $1500 Wander Franco RC go for $185 lol). But the high end vintage stuff I was bidding on, especially well centered, went for a premium. There was a really nice 1954 willie mays SGC 8 that someone stole for $5k. I was planning to bid on that up to about $7500 or so, but it slipped out from under me. I thought I was the high bidder on it, but I guess I wasn't. There were also a few nice cards in BVG slabs that I picked up at good prices. I got a 54 Topps Ted Williams BVG 6 that actually looks like a 6 for about half of what it's worth in a different slab. But I'm probably not going to regrade it. I'm just going to crack it out and put it in my set as an upgrade over the one I have currently.

I have my eye on a lot of basketball auctions for tomorrow. Hoping to score some of those.