NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-23-2013, 02:08 PM
And.rew C0rs0

Default New Member Introduction

Hello. I have been meaning to post an introduction on this board for a few weeks now. My name is Andy and I have been posting a little bit but have not properly introduced myself. While new to this board I have been casually -- and I mean casually -- collecting T206 cards for several years. I picked up my first two T206s in 1987 when I was about 12 at a small baseball card store for $4 each (Jap Barbeau and Simon Nicholls and I had no idea who they were). I was the only one among my friends who was fascinated by vintage cards. In retrospect, I felt sort of odd about it then but I could not deny those old cards held so much more intrigue to me than the modern cards. I held on to those for many years and did not think to buy any more vintage cards until about 10 years ago. Since then I have casually picked up one or two here or there but did not do anything with them. Just a few months ago I decided to go all in on T206 cards and finally do something with this small collection. So I set a goal of completing the set in my lifetime (well, the basic 518 and if I get lucky a little more). Fortunately I have many years to go on that but I am currently up to about 32. I also have a few random among T205, T212, T213, and W551.

I find tremendous fascination in vintage baseball cards. I was a history major in college and have had a lifelong interest in history, preservation of artifacts, and museums. Combine that with a nostalgia for early baseball and vintage baseball cards makes a perfect hobby -- I practically want to make part of my house into a vintage baseball card museum. The fact that my wife is fascinated by the stories of these cards and players also helps.

I think the T206 set is beautiful in its artistry. That is hardly doing it justice though. I love reading about the history of the players -- I think my favorite subject so far is Royal Hunky Shaw, or possibly Ginger Beaumont -- and I am fascinated by the idea of holding and owning something that old with such an intriguing story. And the idea that these little slivers of cardboard hold some residual and enduring value is nice also. I know there are many other pre-war cards worth treasuring. Maybe someday I will branch out. But for now I will focus on this one set.

Nothing I have will impress any of you -- mostly 1s, 2s, and 3s. But to me they are special. I just look forward to the day someone actually visits our house so I can casually motion them over to the collection displayed in a cabinet to impress them with my little piece of baseball history. That day is coming.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:14 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Welcome to the fray Andy. You are among friends.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:15 PM
Barry Arnold

Default newbie

welcome aboard the board!
a great personal history--thanks for sharing.
no need to worry about impressing anyone.
we are all awfully human!
all the best,
barry
Old 04-23-2013, 02:17 PM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by arc2q View Post
Hello. I have been meaning to post an introduction on this board for a few weeks now. My name is Andy and I have been posting a little bit but have not properly introduced myself. While new to this board I have been casually -- and I mean casually -- collecting T206 cards for several years. I picked up my first two T206s in 1987 when I was about 12 at a small baseball card store for $4 each (Jap Barbeau and Simon Nicholls and I had no idea who they were). I was the only one among my friends who was fascinated by vintage cards. In retrospect, I felt sort of odd about it then but I could not deny those old cards held so much more intrigue to me than the modern cards. I held on to those for many years and did not think to buy any more vintage cards until about 10 years ago. Since then I have casually picked up one or two here or there but did not do anything with them. Just a few months ago I decided to go all in on T206 cards and finally do something with this small collection. So I set a goal of completing the set in my lifetime (well, the basic 518 and if I get lucky a little more). Fortunately I have many years to go on that but I am currently up to about 32. I also have a few random among T205, T212, T213, and W551.

I find tremendous fascination in vintage baseball cards. I was a history major in college and have had a lifelong interest in history, preservation of artifacts, and museums. Combine that with a nostalgia for early baseball and vintage baseball cards makes a perfect hobby -- I practically want to make part of my house into a vintage baseball card museum. The fact that my wife is fascinated by the stories of these cards and players also helps.

I think the T206 set is beautiful in its artistry. That is hardly doing it justice though. I love reading about the history of the players -- I think my favorite subject so far is Royal Hunky Shaw, or possibly Ginger Beaumont -- and I am fascinated by the idea of holding and owning something that old with such an intriguing story. And the idea that these little slivers of cardboard hold some residual and enduring value is nice also. I know there are many other pre-war cards worth treasuring. Maybe someday I will branch out. But for now I will focus on this one set.

Nothing I have will impress any of you -- mostly 1s, 2s, and 3s. But to me they are special. I just look forward to the day someone actually visits our house so I can casually motion them over to the collection displayed in a cabinet to impress them with my little piece of baseball history. That day is coming.
Andy,

Welcome to the board, my friend. Jump in, the water's fine. As far as your collection goes, collect what you like with no worries about what another guy thinks. To quote Ricky Nelson, "You can't please everyone, so ya gots ta please yourself."......Happy Collecting....Mike..

Last edited by Bocabirdman; 04-23-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:17 PM
Eric Perry

Andy,

Welcome. You have landed at a great site.

Best Regards,

Eric
Old 04-23-2013, 02:33 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Aloha! From Da Big Ilan Brah! Dave
Old 04-23-2013, 02:45 PM
Rob Ruddy

Quote:

Welcome, Andy!

The T206 set is what got me interested in tobacco cards in general. I first "discovered" the T206 cards in a magazine ad back around 1990. You could purchase a random sample of a few VG/EX T206 cards. From that point on I only collected tobacco cards including Canadian hockey and lacrosse tobacco cards.

I purchased a book that may interest you. Its called "The T206 Collection: The Players & Their Stories". Each player featured in the T206 set has a brief biography with a colour picture of their T206 card(s). I bought mine on eBay but it is probably available from a number of sources in the US.

Happy collecting!

Last edited by auggiedoggy; 04-24-2013 at 09:00 AM. Reason: corrections & more corrections
Old 04-23-2013, 03:03 PM
pariah1107

Quote:
I think the T206 set is beautiful in its artistry. That is hardly doing it justice though. I love reading about the history of the players -- I think my favorite subject so far is Royal Hunky Shaw, or possibly Ginger Beaumont -- and I am fascinated by the idea of holding and owning something that old with such an intriguing story.
Welcome to the board.

"Hunky" Shaw is one of my faves and the only t206 I own. From nearby Yakima, he was (to put it mildly) a lunatic. He nearly killed an umpire in Edmonton (1920) & Toppenish (1927). One at-bat in the majors, a 1908 strikeout, he bounced around lesser leagues a great deal of his career. Finally, ending up back home in Yakima as owner/manager of the semi-pro Yakima Indians/Bears and partial owner of the minor league Yakima Pippins.
He owned a sportsmen store in Yakima for years, and was arrested in '37 for an overloaded shotgun (4 shell max) outside Parker Field. He claimed to be hunting fowl in July. Love to share his story.

Enjoy!

Last edited by pariah1107; 04-23-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:42 PM

Like T206 alot, though not with the RABID way of some. I'm more like Barry, like type collection mostly. Great place to be.

Welcome.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:52 PM
Paul Hawk

Default Lived in Alexandria, VA...

Andy, welcome to the forum! I lived in Alexandria for awhile (off Van Dorn Street, then down in Lorton) before returning to Philadelphia in 2010. I miss a lot about the area, but not the traffic!

Paul

http://vintagebaseballs.blogspot.com

Stop by and say hello!
Old 04-23-2013, 11:35 PM
Eric Shaeffer

Welcome aboard Andy! I visited my grandparents in Alexandria every weekend as a kid. Grandpa, Dad and I went to a lot of card shows back then. Good luck with the monster!
Old 04-24-2013, 05:30 AM
Jason Stricker

Welcome to the group and good luck with the T206s. Good to see another northern Virginian on the board. I'm in Loudoun county myself.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:37 AM
Tony Ooten

Welcome Andy and I must say; what a refreshing description of your collecting interest!

Goodluck with the monster!
Old 04-24-2013, 07:22 AM
And.rew C0rs0

Thank you so much for all of the warm welcomes and kind words. I am very excited about this challenge and am enjoying the discussions on this board. For those of you in Northern Virginia / DC, are there any card shows on weekends worth visiting for vintage cards? I think that might be a fun weekend excursion with the kids.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:13 AM
Val Kehl

Andy, welcome to the Board, and happy collecting! I was born in Alexandria, and I was a Little Leaguer there in the mid-1950s when I first began collecting bb cards.

The only DC-area show worth going to for vintage cards is the "Chantilly Show" at the EXPO Center just off of Routes 28 and 50 in Chantilly, VA. I believe this show happens 3 times a year. The first show this year was the first weekend of April. The next show is scheduled for July 12, 13 & 14. FYI, there is NO admission charge on Fridays. Here is a link to the promoter's website: http://csashows.com/
Val