NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-04-2007, 02:40 AM
Administrator

Default this thread is quite sad.........

Posted By: mr. moses

(edited to add oooops-this shouldn't be a seperate post and relates to the "pre-1930's" thread below.)
Dwarfed only by the personal attack threads and those hijacked by people in an attempt to weave in personal agendas or political ideologies at every opportunity (real or imagined); this thread is pretty ugly in my opinion. To be fair the original question wasn't so bad - but the direction it took is.
Is this really what a forum like this comes down to? Why do some people feel the need to judge either the buyer or seller for the prices they ask or the amount they are willing to spend on a card? Or whether they do or don't use grading services? Open marketplace. It's no crime that someone may perceive the value of something as more or less than the next guy. The fun of collecting is that YOU get to set the parameters that define YOUR collection. Grade, condition, year, player, cost, etc.. The seller who is bringing the things you want to market gets to make their own decisions as well.
Why single out 707 sportscards, Kit Young in a recent thread, or any dealer for that matter? Did you have a specific problem with the way you've been treated? Don't like the price or the grades? Don't buy their cards and move on to someone else. If the person's business plan is weak or they are not responsive enough to their customers with regard to grading, pricing (or anything else for that matter); most likely they will not be in business long. Move on. I doubt most here need or want a sheriff.
Were you cheated somehow or stolen from and feel the need or the duty to bring a legitimate problem to the community here? I think that would be OK if you have tried to resolve it with the person off the board without satisfaction - but it's not MY forum. This is not YOUR forum. It is OUR forum. Nobody here wants to be a victim of fraud. Present the facts in a clear and concise way without embellishment or emotional diatribe and then LISTEN. This is an astute group that collectively has experienced more problems than any one individual ever will on both sides of the table.
Ostensibly I believe this place can be great. Like the Sims commercial used to advertise "an educated consumer is our best customer". The hobby appears to be growing exponentially with regard to focus and prices. It is marked by an influx of new collectors THIRSTY for information that protects them and heightens their ability to make good decisions. I think people are excited about their "things". They want to TALK about CARDS, and about BASEBALL, and find people that feel the same way who also want to talk about it. While to some degree the computer has lead to a de facto isolationism and in practical terms a loss of "shows" where people could look each other in the eye or share a bad cup of coffee or worse a show hot dog, it has allowed people from all parts of the world and all backgrounds to share when it is convenient for them. While some of the human contact is missing that helps facilitate shared excitement and intellectual exploration, collectors can still become a family.
There are many good people that are able to get beyond the bickering because they truly want to be here. I'm sure other's have left because of it. That's the nature of the beast. People come and go for many different reasons. I just think it's a shame that people would have to leave because the original INTENT of the board has been undermined. Please get it together.....