NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-14-2007, 10:18 AM
Administrator

Default Trading across country.

Posted By: Steve f

I am about to conduct a high-value, one for one swap with an unknown collector in another part of the country. I do not wish to drive across a thousand miles.

This is new terrain for me and I figured it's been safely done by US Mail by the membership.

What is a recommended safe mailing method, for he and myself to do this swap?

Thankyou in advance, Steve F

Old 08-14-2007, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Stone

I will be eager to hear the suggestions since I have wondered about this myself. Has anyone ever used a Net54 forum member as an escrow agent where both parties send the cards to the escrow agent who then sends them on. Sounds like it would be a nice service.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

3rd party Custody agent!!

Old 08-14-2007, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

Most of my trading experiences with other Net 54's have been positive. I've done transactions as large as $3500+ going each way...

My feeling has always been the regulars on here that I'm familiar with I'm pretty confident in not having many issues.

I have had one experience where I traded with a "lurker"...the deals was worth a few hundred bucks and the card arrived damaged. I don't believe it was damaged prior to shipping..but it did get dinged up pretty good before it got to me and I ended up about $200-250 short on the deal.

I would only "trade" with another Net54 guy and at this point would probably only do large transactions with another known board member. Our only recourse on here is a deal gone bad for the moderator to step in and try to solve an issue (which I'm sure Leon doesn't want to do)....with that said I don't know how you can take action against a lurker...not let him post anymore if there is a problem or if he doesn't actually send a card? If he already isn't posting....won't matter much.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith O'Leary

I've acted as one several times for board members and it seemed to work out well with no problems. All involved money with me holding the money until the buying party was happy.

my collection http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f92/vwtdi55/

Old 08-14-2007, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dstudeba

I had a friend of a friend pick up a $2K card for me once when I didn't trust the seller. I gave him $100. I would do that again.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: rob

...always ask for references. More than likely if someone is trading a high-dolar item, this is not their first trade. Perhaps they have traded with someone on the board, whom you may not know, but it is pretty obvious who the trustworthy people on the board are.

Rob

Old 08-14-2007, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

There is always some risk with a stranger. I would try to see if someone knows him and can recommend him, and when you feel comfortable send your package registered mail.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Murray

"Has anyone ever used a Net54 forum member as an escrow agent...?"

I have and it worked out great. Thanks again Barry

Find a member in the area where the other party lives. I'm in the Chicagoland area as are a number of other members and would be pleased to help if this is the general locale.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Steve is absolutely right. Last year (or earlier this year?) Steve was doing a deal with a stranger in the New York area and asked me if I would meet up with the buyer and handle it for him (and he generously rewarded my time). Fact is, he made an excellent decision because everything went smoothly, and he didn't have to fret for a couple of days that something would go wrong.

Old 08-14-2007, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve f

Thank you all for the ideas!

Old 08-14-2007, 07:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark T

I wish i lived in Ohio, i would help you out for free. I live in Connecticut so if you ever need me to get a card for you let me know....

Old 08-14-2007, 07:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Zach S.

We could start a N54 "escrow service" list that spreads across the country. I could cover most of Louisiana and southern Mississippi.

Zach S.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:25 PM
Administrator

Actually Zach, that's an excellent idea. If someone needs that kind of help, simply see if somebody trustworthy lives in that area, and if he is willing to act as an agent.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric

I could cover most of NJ.

Regarding your question: I would ask for references (i.e. Ebay ID, people on the board that he's dealt with and then contact them to see how the deal went). If you feel comfortable, send the card by USPS registered mail. It's the safest way to ship anything of value.

If he hasn't dealt with anyone on the board, I agree with the previous posts. Find a middleman that both of you could send the card to, and have that person send each of you your new cards.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Zach S.

Yeah, Barry. Although I guess it wouldn't really be and escrow service... more like a pick-up service. If someone from the board were dealing w/ an unfamiliar seller and another person from the board lived close by then they could act as a go-between. I'd have no problem doing it in my area and it would help alleviate some of those "what if's".

Zach S.