NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-27-2017, 09:44 AM

Default PSA Sports Market Report (SMR) price guide accuracy?

I'm just working my way deeper into the vintage world now, and while looking up some sets that I'd like to tackle in the future, I stumbled upon PSA's Sports Market Report (SMR)- Basically a price guide for PSA graded cards from different sets. Can someone provide some feedback on how accurate this is? I know that Beckett's price guide is pretty much obsolete now, but I hadn't heard of the PSA SMR before and don't know how closely I should try to use it

For example, here's the SMR for T206 White Borders- https://www.psacard.com/smrpriceguid...te-border/1055

How closely should I be using this to look up target prices for specifically graded cards? I.e, Home Run Baker's T206 White Border in a PSA 4 is currently marked at $225- Is it generally accurate or helpful to look up prices in this way? If so, how should I use that number in what I try to buy copies at? (i.e. trying to buy something for lower, higher, or right at that number). Is the SMR generally more accurate for certain sets or types of players? I could see this tool working better for the better names and less well for the commons, but that's just me guessing. From the little research I've done, almost all the copies of cards I've looked at on eBay are listed as BINs for much higher than the corresponding price on the SMR- Is this to be expected?

I really don't know much of anything about this, so wanted to get some feedback from the community- I appreciate the help!

Last edited by Hollywood42; 04-27-2017 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:49 AM
K1rk K3ith

Default Prices

You should join vintagecardprices.com for most recent market prices.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:59 AM
D.mitr.y D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman View Post
You should join vintagecardprices.com for most recent market prices.
+1

PSA SMR values are mostly useless when it comes to true market value. VCP is much more useful.

Without VCP, you can use eBay and Auction House recent sales. ListingHistory.com offers eBay sales data going all the way back to 2014. Cardtarget.com is a free to use site similar to VCP, but not nearly as good.

Also, don't go exclusively based on the number that you see on the slab. Look at the card closely. After a while, you'll start to get a feel for what a card should look like at any given grade, and you'll be able to spot those that are under-graded, as well as those that are too generously graded. Use that knowledge to skew value up/down accordingly.

Last edited by sterlingfox; 04-27-2017 at 10:03 AM.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:04 AM
C@rl P@rk

While not perfect, VCP is an indispensable tool. Well worth the subscription.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 04-27-2017, 10:07 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisk View Post
while not perfect, vcp is an indispensable tool. Well worth the subscription.

Sent from my sm-g920v using tapatalk

+10000
Old 04-27-2017, 10:38 AM

Thanks for the feedback so far. That's an expensive subscription tho
Old 04-27-2017, 10:56 AM
John D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood42 View Post
As a collector the subscription will pay for it self at least once if you are a casual collector and many times over if you make a lot of purchases. I could not live without it.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:16 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I have VCP too and appreciate it. But if you want to avoid a subscription I'd suggest a 1-2 punch:

1. do an Ebay seach for sold items (go advanced search, click on sold items) and type in name of card and see what recent sales have been

2. do Google searches for the name of card and condition; should turn up the last year or two (or more) of auction site sales.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:17 AM
D.mitr.y D.

Quote:
That's what I thought at first too, but all of the other tools I used for research before VCP just paled in comparison.

I also got the Silver subscription to start and regretted it. Having the pictures of the cards is very much worth the difference.

If you're serious about buying vintage graded cards, get the yearly VCP gold sub and don't look back.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:32 AM

I don't have VCP (I don't spend enough to make it worthwhile), but SMR is worthless.

The "buy it now" prices on Ebay are almost always high. Lots of those cards sit there for months or years without selling. If you look at completed sales on ebay you can see the ones that actually sold, and the prices that they got.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:38 AM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Find a buddy in the hobby who has a subscription and is willing to send you screen shots of the cards you need information on when needed.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:24 PM

That just about sounds like the best option for now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobucsmagic74 View Post
Find a buddy in the hobby who has a subscription and is willing to send you screen shots of the cards you need information on when needed.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I don't think I'll be buying enough for awhile for it to make sense for me to subscribe to VCP, but I will definitely keep it in mind in the future if I do get more heavily into vintage

As a somewhat related followup question- Is there any place to avoid buying vintage from? Someone mentioned eBay BINs are often very high, so might want to stay away from those, but other than that, anything to consider? eBay auctions vs. auction houses vs. COMC vs. other places I'm unaware of?
Old 04-27-2017, 01:30 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I don't think I'll be buying enough for awhile for it to make sense for me to subscribe to VCP, but I will definitely keep it in mind in the future if I do get more heavily into vintage

As a somewhat related followup question- Is there any place to avoid buying vintage from? Someone mentioned eBay BINs are often very high, so might want to stay away from those, but other than that, anything to consider? eBay auctions vs. auction houses vs. COMC vs. other places I'm unaware of?

Already mentioned, but CardTarget is free to use. It does include pictures as well. I don't find it as smooth as it use to be, but it is still effective.

I had VCP for about a year and found it was a waste of my money personally as I was able to find most of the information myself through free resources, not all the time, but enough to not make VCP worth my money.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:36 PM
Dave Foster

You sound similar to me. Not a dealer or a big buyer. I just have a few specific issues and names I am interested in acquiring. VCP would be a waste of $$$ for my limited pursuits. Always have found sufficient sold pricing models on Card Target and feebay.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:40 PM
D.mitr.y D.

Quote:

Deals can be had anywhere, even on eBay BINs. In fact, some of my very best purchases have been eBay BINs, but as a whole, yes, they tend to be on the high side most of the time.

The best way to find a deal on what you're looking for is to first do your research on market value, and then search all the venues (eBay, AHs, card shows, B/S/T on Net54, COMC, etc).
Old 04-27-2017, 01:42 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
Already mentioned, but CardTarget is free to use. It does include pictures as well. I don't find it as smooth as it use to be, but it is still effective.

I had VCP for about a year and found it was a waste of my money personally as I was able to find most of the information myself through free resources, not all the time, but enough to not make VCP worth my money.
Just tried Card target and wanted to cry. It is so confusing and isn't working
Old 04-27-2017, 01:45 PM
D.mitr.y D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE View Post
Just tried Card target and wanted to cry. It is so confusing and isn't working
I feel the same way about Card Target - it's too confusing and doesn't work well at all. If I had to give up VCP, I'd stick to ListingHistory.com
Old 04-27-2017, 02:16 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

As I stated it isn't as smooth as it once was, but it still works fine for me and I get the information I typically need.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:08 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingfox View Post
+1

PSA SMR values are mostly useless when it comes to true market value. VCP is much more useful.

Without VCP, you can use eBay and Auction House recent sales. ListingHistory.com offers eBay sales data going all the way back to 2014. Cardtarget.com is a free to use site similar to VCP, but not nearly as good.

Also, don't go exclusively based on the number that you see on the slab. Look at the card closely. After a while, you'll start to get a feel for what a card should look like at any given grade, and you'll be able to spot those that are under-graded, as well as those that are too generously graded. Use that knowledge to skew value up/down accordingly.
+++1

You nailed it!

Regards,

Larry
Old 04-27-2017, 05:23 PM

Another vote for VCP here. It may not give you an up-to-the minute idea of trends/cards getting hot, but it definitely will give you an idea of where the card may be headed and trends throughout the year of where cards spike and then drop.

Ask me about discounted BGS/BVG pricing for Net54 Members!