NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-27-2015, 08:42 PM

Default I got screwed over on the BST today!

Well it finally happened. I got screwed over right here on the BST by one of our own.

A card was listed for sale this morning and we agreed to a price of $3275 and I made an immediate PayPal FF payment. They agreed to ship tomorrow via overnight delivery.

This card was an upgrade for me so I called a friend that was interested in my lower condition card and he came over, we worked out a deal, he paid cash and left with the card. I had to sell it to to cover the cost of the new card.

This evening I get contacted by the seller, his situation has changed and he decided not to sell the card to me and refunded my $3275.

So now I'm out the new card and I no longer have my lower graded one. It will cost me MORE just to replace the one I sold to my friend today... Not to mention PayPal now has a hold on the refund of $3275 for 3-4 days.

Thanks Gobucsmagic74 for ruining my weekend.

Eric Kramer
Old 09-27-2015, 09:00 PM
Gobucsmagic74

I am very sorry Eric. As I mentioned in our PM's I will absolutely give you first crack at this card at the same price we agreed upon once I am able to find a suitable upgrade or replacement as a deal I had in place, which made this card available, was also reneged on. I'm not sure what else I can do. I don't get the issue with PayPal as I issued a straight refund, but I understand your frustration on all levels. Again, my sincerest apologies.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:03 PM
Luke Lyon

Wow, that's brutal. Sorry to hear that Eric.

I had the same guy (Gobucsmagic74) pull a really shady move on me about a year ago. I had a WTB thread open in the BST indicating which e95s I needed. He bought contacted a friend of mine (he didn't realize it was a friend of mine) and bought one of the cards I needed, then contacted me saying he would sell me the card for $200 more than he had just agreed to pay my friend. He was going to pay by check, so he was going to find out if he could flip it to me and make a huge profit off of me with no risk before actually paying for the card.

It's a shame that there are guys like that doing business on the board. But the good news is that 99.9% of my interactions on the BST have been positive.

I hope you can find a solution or at least get another copy of the card without being out too much money.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:03 PM
Paul

I just made a deal on the BST for an upgrade of my own, but I won't sell the lesser condition card until I get the upgrade in hand. This is a common phenomenon, and I don't really think anyone is to blame here in this instance.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 09-27-2015, 09:05 PM

This chain of events and your change in mind leaves me not only without your Mantle rookie, but now without my original one as well.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:07 PM
N@te

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
I just made a deal on the BST for an upgrade of my own, but I won't sell the lesser condition card until I get the upgrade in hand. This is a common phenomenon, and I don't really think anyone is to blame here in this instance.
Technically, yes. But a deal is a deal. The $$$ has switched hands. Probably should've waited to have card in hand, but that's still crummy to have a deal in place, accept the money and, "whoops sorry, something changed on my end. Refund!!"

If this was a $100 card, I'd say just move on, but it's not. Kind of a garbage move if you ask me.

A portion of my collection on GUA:

https://gameusedauthority.com/all-co...member_id=pUnl

Last edited by UnVme7; 09-27-2015 at 09:09 PM.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:09 PM
Peter Spaeth

Lame. Honor the deal.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:10 PM

This would be no big deal if we were talking about a $50 card.

But when someone sells you a 1951 bowman Mantle and asks for a PayPal FF payment over $3k, they should know they are ready to sell and not in a possible position that may cause them to back out.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:10 PM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeLyon View Post
Wow, that's brutal. Sorry to hear that Eric.

I had the same guy (Gobucsmagic74) pull a really shady move on me about a year ago. I had a WTB thread open in the BST indicating which e95s I needed. He bought contacted a friend of mine (he didn't realize it was a friend of mine) and bought one of the cards I needed, then contacted me saying he would sell me the card for $200 more than he had just agreed to pay my friend. He was going to pay by check, so he was going to find out if he could flip it to me and make a huge profit off of me with no risk before actually paying for the card.

It's a shame that there are guys like that doing business on the board. But the good news is that 99.9% of my interactions on the BST have been positive.

I hope you can find a solution or at least get another copy of the card without being out too much money.

This makes me nauseous.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:14 PM
Robert Williams

Crap move.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:16 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Where is that "ignore list" button again?

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:18 PM

If anyone has a PSA 3 or 4 1951 bowman Mantle they are looking to sell, please PM me a picture and a price. I have a hole in my collection now that needs filling.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:21 PM
Gobucsmagic74

Actually Luke, I did pay by check and I did see your thread looking for the card AFTER I had already made the deal and sent the check out. You are absolutely incorrect in your assertion that I tried to make a deal with you prior to purchasing the card, although I do admit that I had not yet received the card. I won't apologize for flipping cards, if I didn't I wouldn't be able to finance my collection.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:22 PM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
This makes me nauseous.
It shouldn't because it's inaccurate
Old 09-27-2015, 09:26 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Lame. Honor the deal.
agreed.

(for only the 3rd time, I think)

Old 09-27-2015, 09:28 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnVme7 View Post
Technically, yes. But a deal is a deal. The $$$ has switched hands. Probably should've waited to have card in hand, but that's still crummy to have a deal in place, accept the money and, "whoops sorry, something changed on my end. Refund!!"

If this was a $100 card, I'd say just move on, but it's not. Kind of a garbage move if you ask me.
Yeah, I get that. I'm just saying it is not a safe practice to dump a card you love for an upgrade without getting the upgrade in hand first. Stuff happens. Postal workers screw up. Deals fall through after digital cash changes hands.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 09-27-2015, 09:36 PM
Ⓑⓘⓛⓛ Ⓒⓞⓡⓝⓔⓛⓛ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobucsmagic74 View Post
I did see your thread looking for the card AFTER I had already made the deal and sent the check out. You are absolutely incorrect in your assertion that I tried to make a deal with you prior to purchasing the card, although I do admit that I had not yet received the card. I won't apologize for flipping cards, if I didn't I wouldn't be able to finance my collection.
Well, at least that's impossibly convoluted clear.

Another hobby fly-by-night type to avoid.

Last edited by bcornell; 09-27-2015 at 09:37 PM.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:39 PM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcornell View Post
Well, at least that's impossibly convoluted clear.

Another hobby fly-by-night type to avoid.
What do you need clarified Bill? I bought a card and offered it to someone who was looking for it in BST. The two were friends and decided I was doing something shady when I wasn't. The end.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:42 PM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:
Yeah, I get that. I'm just saying it is not a safe practice to dump a card you love for an upgrade without getting the upgrade in hand first. Stuff happens. Postal workers screw up. Deals fall through after digital cash changes hands.
I agree with ya Paul, but really it's beside the main point...the fact the the OP sold his card without having the new one in-hand is on him, but a sale is a sale and backing out is a shitty move.

IMO Dan should definitely honor the sale and I'd expect him to wake up tomorrow morning and make this right. I have a bad feeling this isn't going to work out well for him otherwise.
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 09-27-2015, 09:56 PM
Luke Lyon

Quote:
Actually Luke, I did pay by check and I did see your thread looking for the card AFTER I had already made the deal and sent the check out. You are absolutely incorrect in your assertion that I tried to make a deal with you prior to purchasing the card, although I do admit that I had not yet received the card. I won't apologize for flipping cards, if I didn't I wouldn't be able to finance my collection.
You agreed to purchase the card and then offered to sell it to me all in the same morning.

You bought it off the same BST where my WTB thread was located.

You really expect me (or anyone with a brain) to believe that you bought it for some reason other than to try to and flip to a specific person (me)? You just agreed to buy it (but didn't actually pay for it yet) at 9 AM because you really loved it, and then offered it to me at 11 AM because you didn't love it so much after all? You don't have to lie about it. You didn't commit a crime. It was just scummy.

And after I told you that I knew where (and how recently) you had got the card, you posted it in 3 different threads about how happy you were to add it to your collection. If you didn't feel guilty about anything, why did you do that?

Last edited by Luke; 09-27-2015 at 09:58 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-27-2015, 10:19 PM
Gobucsmagic74

I was happy to own it and I still am. Whether you want to believe that or not has no bearing on the truth of the matter, which is that I made a deal for the E95 Crawford (which I offered to pay Scott for via PayPal Gift, but he couldn't accept), saw that you were looking for one amongst others, and offered it to you. You intimated I offered it to you prior to making the deal which is not accurate and changes the entire dimension of the story. I apologized to Scott at the time and have since, and I still own the card to this day not that it matters.
Old 09-27-2015, 10:42 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Peter--I'm no lawyer, but didn't Eric have a contract. To cancel the contract wouldn't Eric have to agree? If it was cancelled unilaterally by the seller, and Eric loses money buying a new Mantle, can't he sue for damages?
Old 09-27-2015, 11:13 PM
N@te

Quote:
Yep, completely agree with that. But as far as backing out of deal, yeah that sucks.

A portion of my collection on GUA:

https://gameusedauthority.com/all-co...member_id=pUnl
Old 09-27-2015, 11:23 PM
Bry@n

I agree that this was a sale unless both parties agreed to cancel it. I would like to see someone sell their house, get paid by the buyer, and then try to return the money and stay in the house because they decided they didn't want to move any more. I know a written contract wasn't signed over the Mick in this case, but a deal was struck and payment sent and received.

To try to put a positive spin on this for Eric, at least he got his money back (even if Paypal is holding it for a few days for some reason).
Old 09-27-2015, 11:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
I am very sorry Eric. As I mentioned in our PM's I will absolutely give you first crack at this card at the same price we agreed upon once I am able to find a suitable upgrade or replacement as a deal I had in place, which made this card available, was also reneged on. I'm not sure what else I can do. I don't get the issue with PayPal as I issued a straight refund, but I understand your frustration on all levels. Again, my sincerest apologies.

What happened is you got a raw deal and someone screwed you over, so you decided to pass the screw onto someone else that you made a deal with. that is wrong. if someone backed out on your deal, you DONT back out on the deal you subsequently made. that deal was not dependent on whether or not you received your card from the first guy as far as cozmo is concerned. That wasn't your deal with him. When you make a deal and you don't have the card in hand from the first guy, YOU are assuming that risk. Why are you putting that risk on the next guy??? What's wrong with you?

You needed to honor your deal and then deal with the first guy and not ruin cozmo's day while yours is saved. the first guy didn't screw over cozmo, he screwed you over, so why pass it along to the next innocent party. Be a man. Not sure what you can do? Honor your deal. It's a big pet peeve of mine when people do that. You should be kicked out for doing that. Who needs that?

Last edited by travrosty; 09-27-2015 at 11:41 PM.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:52 PM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
What happened is you got a raw deal and someone screwed you over, so you decided to pass the screw onto someone else that you made a deal with. that is wrong. if someone backed out on your deal, you DONT back out on the deal you subsequently made. that deal was not dependent on whether or not you received your card from the first guy as far as cozmo is concerned. That wasn't your deal with him. When you make a deal and you don't have the card in hand from the first guy, YOU are assuming that risk. Why are you putting that risk on the next guy??? What's wrong with you?

You needed to honor your deal and then deal with the first guy and not ruin cozmo's day while yours is saved. the first guy didn't screw over cozmo, he screwed you over, so why pass it along to the next innocent party. Be a man. Not sure what you can do? Honor your deal. It's a big pet peeve of mine when people do that. You should be kicked out for doing that. Who needs that?
+1...BE A MAN!!!

I don't hate you Dan, but I hate what you did...no room for this on our board. I second that you should take a break from the BST
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 09-27-2015, 11:55 PM
qu@n nguy3n

wrong info.

Last edited by chaddurbin; 09-28-2015 at 12:12 AM.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Peter--I'm no lawyer, but didn't Eric have a contract. To cancel the contract wouldn't Eric have to agree? If it was cancelled unilaterally by the seller, and Eric loses money buying a new Mantle, can't he sue for damages?
Ha!

Maybe someone should call judge Judy.

Last edited by Kevin.Shenker; 09-28-2015 at 12:11 AM.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:17 AM
Banned

Quote:

I would say this is a perfect assessment of the situation. You definitely passed the bad goods along.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:43 AM
Dave Foster

I know the heading over the BST says, "caveat emptor." But here it seems or should seem that caution isn't necessary. Obviously I am in error. Just my dos centavos, but I thing Gobucsmagic74 should be suspended from all activity on this board for a lengthy and substantial period. Too harsh? Don't think so. He deliberately and knowingly screwed a board member for his own self interests. In his twisted thinking, simply giving a PP refund makes it all ok. It doesn't. Not by a long shot.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:05 AM
And.rew Mil.ler

Quote:

This. Thank you, Travis! At 5:00 a.m. I'm not awake enough to write something as clearly as Travis did, but this is my sentiment exactly.

Dan-you chose to pass on the screw job to someone else....
Old 09-28-2015, 04:44 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Travis

Is 100% correct.
Old 09-28-2015, 04:47 AM
J0$H B^ck!ey

Sorry Eric. That's a lot of money to be playing around with there. And must be a really nice and difficult card to get.

I'll have to remember that username.
22/39 Unique Backs 56%
80/86 Minors 93%
25/48 Southern Leaguers 52%
6/10 Billy Sullivan back run 60%

237PSA / 94 SGC / 98 RAW

Excel spreadsheets only $5
T3, T201, T202, T204, T205, T206, T207, 1914 CJ, 1915 CJ, Topps 1952-1979, and more!!!!

Checklists sold (20)

T205 8/208 3.8%
Old 09-28-2015, 04:53 AM
J0$H B^ck!ey

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Pretty much it is a contract at that point both parties agreed on it and I believe that you're right. Both parties would have to agree to make the contract VOID.

I'm not a lawyer but I believe that your statement is correct.
22/39 Unique Backs 56%
80/86 Minors 93%
25/48 Southern Leaguers 52%
6/10 Billy Sullivan back run 60%

237PSA / 94 SGC / 98 RAW

Excel spreadsheets only $5
T3, T201, T202, T204, T205, T206, T207, 1914 CJ, 1915 CJ, Topps 1952-1979, and more!!!!

Checklists sold (20)

T205 8/208 3.8%
Old 09-28-2015, 05:33 AM
rob.ert int.rieri

Gobucsmagic the deal, as you seem to agree with the buyers version, was not predicated upon your securing a replacement card. An agreement was made, funds were sent, honor the deal!!!!!!

I would think he actually has grounds for a civil action that would require you to make specific performance.

Based on the facts presented it appears to me that GoBucsmagic is not an honorable person.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:23 AM
Christopher Zu.psic

I agree that the deal should be honored, but can people calm down with the legal innuendos. No one is suing(let alone winning) a judgement for a failed BST transaction on a sportscard message board.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:41 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenextlevel View Post
I agree that the deal should be honored, but can people calm down with the legal innuendos. No one is suing(let alone winning) a judgement for a failed BST transaction on a sportscard message board.
This......LMAO at all of the legal mumbo jumbo......
Old 09-28-2015, 06:42 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
This......LMAO at all of the legal mumbo jumbo......
Hey I resemble that remark.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:46 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Hey I resemble that remark.
As some lawyers would say "Can I give you my business card?"
Old 09-28-2015, 07:25 AM
Robert Williams

I feel badly for both parties involved. In the future, I hope BOTH people can learn something from this to ensure certain aspects of this failed transaction never happen again.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:31 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeLyon View Post
You agreed to purchase the card and then offered to sell it to me all in the same morning.

You bought it off the same BST where my WTB thread was located.

You really expect me (or anyone with a brain) to believe that you bought it for some reason other than to try to and flip to a specific person (me)? You just agreed to buy it (but didn't actually pay for it yet) at 9 AM because you really loved it, and then offered it to me at 11 AM because you didn't love it so much after all? You don't have to lie about it. You didn't commit a crime. It was just scummy.

And after I told you that I knew where (and how recently) you had got the card, you posted it in 3 different threads about how happy you were to add it to your collection. If you didn't feel guilty about anything, why did you do that?

i think the first deal with the 1951 mantle is a black mark on gobucsmagic..but i dont see anything wrong about what he did with the flip with you...afterall, he already was locked in to pay for the card and he couldnt of been 100% sure you would of wanted the same card....could of still been a price issue or centering issue with the card....was no sure thing he would of been able to sell to you...
Old 09-28-2015, 07:49 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I feel badly for both parties involved. In the future, I hope BOTH people can learn something from this to ensure certain aspects of this failed transaction never happen again.
Why do you feel badly for a guy who RENEGED on a done deal? I don't get that.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:52 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Why do you feel badly for a guy who RENEGED on a done deal? I don't get that.
Because now, more than likely, he is going to have a black mark by his name and no one will want to deal with him. In this business, especially when you do not deal with people face to face, and only though the computer, your reputation means more than anything. His future dealings will be affected by this dealing. And that is why I feel bad for him.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:52 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Because now, more than likely, he is going to have a black mark by his name and no one will want to deal with him. In this business, especially when you do not deal with people face to face, and only though the computer, your reputation means more than anything. His future dealings will be affected by this dealing. And that is why I feel bad for him.
I don't get what you are saying at all. It's a problem completely of his own making. He should have a black mark by his name, he reneged on a done deal. If he wants the black mark erased, he can do the right thing, acknowledge that he made the wrong judgment, and honor the deal.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-28-2015 at 07:54 AM.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:57 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
I don't get what you are saying at all. It's a problem completely of his own making. He should have a black mark by his name, he reneged on a done deal. If he wants the black mark erased, he can do the right thing, acknowledge that he made the wrong judgment, and honor the deal.
Yes..I'm not doubting you. One can still feel empathy.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:59 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Yes..I'm not doubting you. One can still feel empathy.
Yes, and I feel badly for the victim here, not the perpetrator. What's the downside to doing the right thing, being temporarily without a 51 Mantle? I've been looking for months for the right one and I'm fine.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:02 AM

There's an old lawyers joke somewhere in here:

Sir, there's a Sue waiting for you in your office.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:11 AM
Al Richter

Default 51 Bowman

Great Peter. Now both guys know they do not have the right one, and if it does come along, there you are
Old 09-28-2015, 08:12 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Yes, and I feel badly for the victim here, not the perpetrator. What's the downside to doing the right thing, being temporarily without a 51 Mantle? I've been looking for months for the right one and I'm fine.
I feel badly for him as well...maybe next time he won't sell his card until he has the replacement in hand. Like I said, BOTH people can learn something from this transaction.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:16 AM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

I don't see what's wrong here...it is the the BST afterall.

Buy
Sell
Take-Back