NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 06-22-2019, 07:27 PM

Default Vintage and PWE question

Hello
I’m new to vintage cards and would love to learn the hobby from you guys. When it comes to shipping a vintage card, is it acceptable or are there any situations where it’s ok to ship a vintage card in a PWE? How about a high grade vintage card? I know this questions might sound stupid to some if you but. Again, I am new to this and trying to learn all I can, thanks

Last edited by homerunhitter; 06-22-2019 at 07:38 PM.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:52 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerunhitter View Post
Hello
I’m new to vintage cards and would love to learn the hobby from you guys. When it comes to shipping a vintage card, is it acceptable or are there any situations where it’s ok to ship a vintage card in a PWE? How about a high grade vintage card? I know this questions might sound stupid to some if you but. Again, I am new to this and trying to learn all I can, thanks
Really depends on 2 things.
1) Do you trust the recipient to say they received the card when you have no proof that it did?

2) Some people will freak out if they receive a card in a PWE even if it shows up perfectly. So make sure it is OK with the buyer.

Personly I don't care how any card is sent to me as long as it arrives unharmed.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:52 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

For cards under $10 each, I could see you using a Cardsaver inside of a PWE for the 50 cent stamp. If you use a toploader, they'll may upgrade it to first class package instead of envelope. Or it may get torn up in the sorting machines. Cardsavers meet the requirement of the envelope to be non-rigid whereas a cardsaver makes the envelope rigid.
Anything over $10 probably requires a tracked first class package (bubble mailer). But as long as you put it in your listings what you're planning to do, you may be okay. Obviously if the mail gets lost or the buyer claims they never received it, you'll have to refund them.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:16 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

It's perfectly acceptable with the vast majority of us if a card (obviously well packaged) is sent in a PWE, because it saves on shipping. As Ben said, though, it really depends on who you are sending it to, because you'll leave yourself wide open to a scammer. The more expensive a card is, the better off you'll be by sending it in a padded mailer with tracking. Might save yourself some headaches.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:13 AM
Mike Lenart

Most of my auctions for single cards start at a penny. I charge 60 cents for postage and it costs me 70 cents to mail. I ship in a PWE and card in top loader and protected by light cardboard. Doing this for over 10 years and no problems. But, if selling price goes over a couple of bucks I ship in padded envelope with tracking. I loose many on postage but still am ok overall. Mike
Old 06-23-2019, 11:31 AM
Curt

As mostly a buyer, I am in the camp that as long as I get my item as it was sold, I don't care how it is shipped. However, there are certain expectations about how something should be shipped and price paid for a certain shipping method is one of those.

Don't charge someone $4 shipping, then send the card in an PWE. I don't care if the card somehow improves magically in condition when sent in a PWE, if I paid you $4, I expect it to show up in a padded mailer. I would also not personally risk anything of value in a PWE. However, even cardboard mailers and padded envelopes are not guaranteed to save the item inside from a brutal trip through the USPS system.
Old 06-23-2019, 03:54 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Oh, and if you're looking for a better way to sell than using PWEs, check out COMC.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 06-26-2019, 01:01 PM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
As mostly a buyer, I am in the camp that as long as I get my item as it was sold, I don't care how it is shipped. However, there are certain expectations about how something should be shipped and price paid for a certain shipping method is one of those.

Don't charge someone $4 shipping, then send the card in an PWE. I don't care if the card somehow improves magically in condition when sent in a PWE, if I paid you $4, I expect it to show up in a padded mailer. I would also not personally risk anything of value in a PWE. However, even cardboard mailers and padded envelopes are not guaranteed to save the item inside from a brutal trip through the USPS system.
This, 10000%. Nothing ticks me off more, as a buyer, than paying $3-4 for shipping on a card and it shows up in a PWE. As a seller, I charge $3 shipping for almost everything that is not BIN with shipping included. Doesn't matter if it is one card or 50 cards...same price. With the shipping charge plus the envelope I am paying $3-4 or even more for multiple cards. For anything over $100 I still charge the $3 if not included but I will ship priority mail in a small flat rate box or bigger. Shipping first class with tracking makes me feel better knowing I can watch it along the way and I think it gives confidence to the buyer as well. Best of luck....regardless if you are buying or selling!
Old 06-26-2019, 08:56 PM
Johnny MaZilli

If I sell and chard $1 shipping this is what I do.
Get a greeting card.....put the card in a card saver...tape it will on the inside...close card...take each side of greeting card then envelope it mail it .55 cent first class then a .20 Non machinable then put in mail box. Works like a charm try it guys.
Old 06-29-2019, 05:03 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
If I sell and chard $1 shipping this is what I do.
Get a greeting card.....put the card in a card saver...tape it will on the inside...close card...take each side of greeting card then envelope it mail it .55 cent first class then a .20 Non machinable then put in mail box. Works like a charm try it guys.
Johnny, the USPS non-machinable surcharge was fairly recently reduced to 15 cents.

I ship most cards that I sell for up to $20-25 on eBay via PWE. I use a couple of pieces of fairly thick stiffener. The key is to keep the PWE no thicker than 1/4 inch, which is the thickness limit for a First Class letter. If the PWE is greater than 1/4 inch thick, it is considered a First Class package. Also, I write "non-machinable" in red ink on both sides of the PWE. My PWEs end up weighing between 1 and 2 ounces, hence my USPS mailing cost is $.55 + $.15 + $.15 = $.85 total.

I don't sell a lot of cards on eBay, as I'm not a dealer. I just sell cards that no longer fit my collecting focuses. I guess I've been fortunate thus far, as I haven't suffered any losses from using PWEs.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 06-30-2019, 10:24 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Johnny, the USPS non-machinable surcharge was fairly recently reduced to 15 cents.

I ship most cards that I sell for up to $20-25 on eBay via PWE. I use a couple of pieces of fairly thick stiffener. The key is to keep the PWE no thicker than 1/4 inch, which is the thickness limit for a First Class letter. If the PWE is greater than 1/4 inch thick, it is considered a First Class package. Also, I write "non-machinable" in red ink on both sides of the PWE. My PWEs end up weighing between 1 and 2 ounces, hence my USPS mailing cost is $.55 + $.15 + $.15 = $.85 total.

I don't sell a lot of cards on eBay, as I'm not a dealer. I just sell cards that no longer fit my collecting focuses. I guess I've been fortunate thus far, as I haven't suffered any losses from using PWEs.
Reduced to .15 from .20 but first class increased .5 to .55 from .50
At least the non machinable has been reduced :-) thank you
Old 06-30-2019, 12:03 PM
Emlily Ell.is

I try to use bubble with tracking on everything. I'm going to pay $3+ for a PWE with toploader or a bubble with toploader, so I usually just do the extra.

I got 2 PWEs in the other day. Both were toploaders taped to a piece of paper, and both were fairly cheap cards (one was like $3 and one was like $8). But I had to pay $2.95 for each one just to get them because the 50 cents stamp wasn't enough. It really sucks.

That said, I had an ebay seller ship a $27 Mantle LL card I bought for my 62T set in a PWE. Of course, I had to pay the $3 extra to get it. But I could've just said I never got it and gotten both the money and the card.

I have done deals with: snowman, exhibitman, roquan, vintagetoppscards, bobsbbcards, sayitaintso, tsp06, gorditadogg, 4reals, bnorth, clydepepper, jcfowler6, jimmer77, tsp06, Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey, swk473 plus others.
Old 06-30-2019, 12:06 PM
Emlily Ell.is

How can you charge $3 and not lose money? There's the 10% fee ebay charges on shipping (30 cents) then the cost of the bubble mailer (48 cents) then the actual cost to ship (anywhere from $2.75-$3 depending on location for 4 ounce package). So it's $3.75 minimum to ship, and that's just for a couple of cards that get to 4 ounces. I can't imagine charging $3 for 100 cards, and it costs like $7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promethius88 View Post
This, 10000%. Nothing ticks me off more, as a buyer, than paying $3-4 for shipping on a card and it shows up in a PWE. As a seller, I charge $3 shipping for almost everything that is not BIN with shipping included. Doesn't matter if it is one card or 50 cards...same price. With the shipping charge plus the envelope I am paying $3-4 or even more for multiple cards. For anything over $100 I still charge the $3 if not included but I will ship priority mail in a small flat rate box or bigger. Shipping first class with tracking makes me feel better knowing I can watch it along the way and I think it gives confidence to the buyer as well. Best of luck....regardless if you are buying or selling!

I have done deals with: snowman, exhibitman, roquan, vintagetoppscards, bobsbbcards, sayitaintso, tsp06, gorditadogg, 4reals, bnorth, clydepepper, jcfowler6, jimmer77, tsp06, Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey, swk473 plus others.
Old 07-02-2019, 01:27 PM
J0hn Collin$

It's ok as long as you aren't mailing a card worth more than a few dollars, AND ONLY if you are super clear and disclose that the card will arrive in a PWE. Some sellers get confused because technically a PWE is First Class "Mail", but this is very different from a First Class PACKAGE which comes with a tracking number. I will agree as others have said, nothing angers me more to buy a $20 card or something and have it listed as First Class Package and then 10 days later a PWE shows up with the card poking halfway out of a toploader. I haven't actually done it I don't think, but I've been tempted to leave a seller negative feedback based on that fact alone even if the card somehow arrives unscathed.
Old 07-05-2019, 12:53 PM
Glyn Parson

I'd prefer to not get a card in plain white envelope. especially if charged for shipping and or card is valued at more than 5-10 dollars. i would never send higher grade as this is just inviting it to not end up there in higher grade.