NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 10-19-2009, 04:14 PM
Karl Mattson

Default F. R. Woods All-Star Photos Questions

Anyone know anything about F.R. Woods All-Star photos? Specifically:

Did they always measure 4 1/4 x 7 (mine is, and 3 other sources list them as such, but one other source claims 4 1/2 x 7 1/4);

Were all players issued over multiple years, or are some specific to one year;

Over how many years were they issued (I've seen internet "evidence" to support 1969, 1970 and 1971);

Is there any way to identify what year my Killebrew comes from?

Thanks.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:07 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Never seen these before-is there a checklist somewhere? That font looks like it could be unique to this issue?
Old 10-20-2009, 10:22 AM
Karl Mattson

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppcat View Post
Never seen these before-is there a checklist somewhere? That font looks like it could be unique to this issue?
I've never seen a checklist, but I think it's a unique issue. Here's everything I know about it:

It's by F. R. Woods, a memorabilia dealer who is "just a few doors down the street from the Hall of Fame, and is still in business today - selling unique baseball items from the past." They used to advertise in Baseball Digest when I was a kid (1960s).

The photos came in a set called "All-Star Picture Photo Pak set of 12 photos". One complete set offered at auction identified it as from 1969; individual photos offered on eBay over the years have identified the photos as from 1970 and/or 1971.

The photos are on delicate, textured linen-type stock, with blank backs.

I've verified 11 different photos so far: Banks, Bench, Killebrew, Mays, McCovey, Murcer, Powell, Robinson (Brooks), Seaver, Staub, Yaz.

Perhaps the checklist includes only 12 players, and the same photos were sent out every year for 3 years with the date changed only on the packaging? I'd be surprised, however, if an issue from either 1969 or 1970 would include Murcer as an All-Star, unless they just wanted a current NY player in the set, and he was the best available.

Since F. R. Woods appears to still be in business, maybe I'll call and see if anyone there recalls anything about this one.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:52 AM

I just bought the set on ebay. The twelfth player is Aaron (no surprise). The set presented a real dilemma to me. Much to my surprise, it was still sealed in the original envelope. I'm sure everyone on this board will want to shoot me for doing this, but I unsealed it as carefully as I could. It just seemed so pointless to me to not be able to see the pictures I purchased.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:28 PM
Karl Mattson

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
I just bought the set on ebay. The twelfth player is Aaron (no surprise). The set presented a real dilemma to me. Much to my surprise, it was still sealed in the original envelope. I'm sure everyone on this board will want to shoot me for doing this, but I unsealed it as carefully as I could. It just seemed so pointless to me to not be able to see the pictures I purchased.

Nah, I'd probably do the same! So, does the envelope have a date? Are the cards 4 1/4 x 7? Thanks!
Old 10-26-2009, 06:55 PM

I double checked and my cards/pictures do measure 4.25 x 7. There is no copyright date on the envelope. However, Bobby Murcer is in the set and, according to baseballreference.com, his first All Star game was in 1971. And the envelope refers to this set as an "All Star Set." So, if they meant this literally, the set is no earlier than 1971.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:29 PM
Karl Mattson

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
I double checked and my cards/pictures do measure 4.25 x 7. There is no copyright date on the envelope. However, Bobby Murcer is in the set and, according to baseballreference.com, his first All Star game was in 1971. And the envelope refers to this set as an "All Star Set." So, if they meant this literally, the set is no earlier than 1971.
Thanks for checking! 1971 seems to be the most logical date for this issue - any earlier, and the inclusion of Murcer doesn't make much sense; any later, and the inclusion of Banks doesn't make much sense.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:59 PM
Karl Mattson

I called the F. R. Woods shop in Cooperstown, and a lady working there said she was around when these were issued. Her recollection was that they were issued for one year only, and with just the 12 players we've documented. She thought they were mailed out in 1968 or 1969, but she wasn't at all confident of the date, so IMO 1971 still seems more likely.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:24 PM
Karl Mattson

Okay, for the 1 or 2 people who might be interested - an eBay seller says these are from 1971, because he bought a pack from an original owner who wrote the date "1971" on the outside of the pack when he received it. That's the last piece of evidence I need to feel certain these are from 1971 and only 1971.

In case this issue is ever deemed worthy of an entry in the Standard Catalog, or just for posterity, here's a final summary:

1971 F. R. Woods All-Star Photos

Issued by F. R. Woods House of Baseball in 1971. Twelve unnumbered, undated blank-back photos on linen stock, each measuring 4.25" by 7". Came as a set of 12 in packs labeled "All-Star Picture Photo Pak set of 12 photos". Individual values (on eBay) have ranged from $5 to $10 for cards in Excellent or better condition. The complete checklist is:

Aaron
Banks
Bench
Killebrew
Mays
McCovey
Murcer
Powell, Boog
Robinson, Brooks
Seaver
Staub
Yastrzemski
Old 11-01-2009, 06:09 AM

Last week I submitted my 1971 Bench for grading to PSA. I don't believe one has ever been graded before. However, this set is cateloged on the Beckett website so I believe they will grade it since it meets the size specifications for "Supersized" cards.