NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-10-2007, 10:10 AM
Administrator

Default Eddie Plank 1910 tobacco card

Posted By: brian

that the title of another eBay auction that just started. not sure whether the seller is trying to be deceptive or is unknowing? the bottom border of this reprint is completely blank.

Old 05-10-2007, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Murray

Hard to say without a link.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:12 AM
Administrator

sorry steve, i don't give links to live auctions after watching other members of the forum get chastised for it. the difference between a link provided to a "possible scam" versus someone asking an innocent question about an auction is a bit blurred and too fine a line in my opinion.
i can understand why a member's auction shouldn't be blatantly advertised, but if someone is asking innocent questions about an auction and gets roasted for it, then there exists a problem in policy that needs to be modified or set in stone.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Then how can someone answer your question without being able to see the card? It sounds fake, but how can we be sure?

Old 05-10-2007, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

It's not real...so I don't see any reason not to post a link. If posting this link makes anyone here buy the card than they need to learn a bit more about them to begin with. But I don't know if the guy is being deceptive...all he really says is 1910 tobacco card. It should say reprint, sure. But it is particuarly a bad example...wouldn't fool anybody.

http://cgi.ebay.com/EDDIE-PLANK-1910-TOBACCO-CARD_W0QQitemZ300109387948QQihZ020QQcategoryZ86841 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Old 05-10-2007, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

It is deceptive because he should use the word "reprint." He doesn't even have one word of text.

And don't you just love a major rarity that's been up for three days and doesn't even have the opening bid of $10?

Old 05-10-2007, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

I would also think a Plank "missing letters" version would have to be up there with the Cobb/Cobb back. I just set my snipe...so we'll see how it shakes out.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

How many red flags can you spot in this listing? How much time do you have?

Old 05-10-2007, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Our objection to posting an open ebay listing is when the item is deemed genuine and appears in an incorrect category. For example a nice vintage photgraph of Cy Young in "Beenie Babies".

Another objection we have is posting a card in which the poster has a financial interest or is doing so on behalf of the seller.

The Plank is an obvious fake. It appears in the proper category if it were real. It's not going to fool anyone who frequents this Board. If it helps a newbie then by all means post it.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:31 AM
Administrator

i wasn't asking a question. only saying i wasn't sure whether the seller was feigning ignorance or trying to be deceptive. i've seen strangers appear in this forum for the first time with a link to an auction in their post and asking about the legitimacy of a card that was clearly legitimate, even to a child collector. if that isn't blatant advertising, i don't know what is.

but when a regular poster asks a more difficult question about a card and has a link in their post, then gets roasted alive for posting a link, it probably has more to do with some jerk who is angry because he is currently bidding on the card and doesn't want it exposed to members of the forum who might compete with them in the bidding.

steve, what if the item is deemed genuine and appears in the correct category? and how do you determine whether the poster has a financial interest or is doing so on behalf of the seller unless he clearly states it in his post or it become crystal clear through investigation?

Old 05-10-2007, 11:40 AM
Administrator

I think any "legit" auction with a real card shouldn't be posted on the board until the auction is over...period. Now if somebody has a "technical" question about a legit card, there are a few members here who have no problem answering private emails about legit auctions...otherwise, best to leave those alone until after the auction ends.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:14 PM
Administrator

If it deemed genuine and correctly catagorized it doesn't belong on here until after the auction closes period. That way there will no question that someone may be promoting an item in which they have a potential financial interest.

Now with all of that said I do remember a member looking for information posing a generic question about an item. It was not disclosed that it was on ebay so it just appeared to be a general question. As it turned out it was on ebay in an obscure place but the question gave enough info that a search could find it. The moral of this story is that someone other than the poster was able to snag the item. Now as it turns out the poster didn't really want the item and wasn't hurt by his action but he could have been.

Thanks again Dave!

Old 05-10-2007, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Ha ha Steve. You haven't seen me do that with any T206's have you? LOL.