NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-11-2024, 09:17 AM
Rhett Yeakley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
While I appreciate the thought, as it is something that obviously concerns me too, the idea that the card doctors are worthy of defense and those who are trying to expose them are described as hobby clowns is somewhat interesting.
+100

Always the same people defending as well.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 01-11-2024, 10:24 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
+100

Always the same people defending as well.
Not really, it depends on WHO is being called out by who defends them.
Old 01-11-2024, 12:08 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

I look at it this as more of a discussion about "eye appeal", than of trimming.

There are plenty of cards that are untrimmed, but have poor eye appeal for the grade; I stay away from those, as even if you pay a low price, you still have a card you think is ugly.

On the other hand, there are cards that have outstanding eye appeal for the grade, and some of them may be trimmed. The bottom line for me, is the eye appeal.....if the eye appeal is good to me, it doesn't really matter if it might be trimmed; I know I like the card, but I do not know for certain that it is trimmed.

Basically, for me, if the eye appeal outweighs the possibility of trimming, then I would probably enjoy having the card.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 01-11-2024, 12:26 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
I look at it this as more of a discussion about "eye appeal", than of trimming.

There are plenty of cards that are untrimmed, but have poor eye appeal for the grade; I stay away from those, as even if you pay a low price, you still have a card you think is ugly.

On the other hand, there are cards that have outstanding eye appeal for the grade, and some of them may be trimmed. The bottom line for me, is the eye appeal.....if the eye appeal is good to me, it doesn't really matter if it might be trimmed; I know I like the card, but I do not know for certain that it is trimmed.

Basically, for me, if the eye appeal outweighs the possibility of trimming, then I would probably enjoy having the card.

Steve

Well, the eye appeal thing makes sense, but the trimming part most are referencing has to do with cards that are receiving high numerical grades which translates to $$$$ (many cases it's not petty cash).

There's a lot in play. Start with "ethics: Those that trim for the purpose of deception; grading companies that turn a blind eye; sellers that don't give a crap; investors that only care about making a buck and don't care about the hobby impacts.

Proceed to FRAUD. The end result is a community of hobbyist/collectors/investors that all have different views on it. Go back to ethics and start there.
Old 01-11-2024, 01:39 PM
Michael

I am trying to complete a high grade Diamond Stars set. I do my best to avoid cards that have been "outed" on the Blowout board or that look trimmed to my eye, and I only buy from reputable auction houses. But at this point, it is possible probable that I have some trimmed cards. I don't have the heart to research every one and it makes me wary of buying any more cards in higher condition.

After Blowout started posting before/after photos of trimmed cards, I was contacted by PWCC and they offered to buy back the cards they sold me that were listed (I got an email from them about each card). I can't remember, but this was maybe two or three Leafs in total. I also found an E card that was listed and they bought that back as well. I am guessing this was in 2019 or 2020. I have not had this happen with other sellers. Of course, PWCC was the one selling the trimmed cards in the first place, so that doesn't absolve them. But at least they bought back the cards they sold me that had been publicly identified as trimmed or altered.
My avatar is a drawing of a 1958 Topps Hank Aaron by my daughter. If you are interested in one in a similar style based on the card of your choice, details can be found by searching threads with the title phrase Custom Baseball Card Artwork or by PMing me.
Old 01-11-2024, 05:16 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by molenick View Post
I am trying to complete a high grade Diamond Stars set. I do my best to avoid cards that have been "outed" on the Blowout board or that look trimmed to my eye, and I only buy from reputable auction houses. But at this point, it is possible probable that I have some trimmed cards. I don't have the heart to research every one and it makes me wary of buying any more cards in higher condition.

After Blowout started posting before/after photos of trimmed cards, I was contacted by PWCC and they offered to buy back the cards they sold me that were listed (I got an email from them about each card). I can't remember, but this was maybe two or three Leafs in total. I also found an E card that was listed and they bought that back as well. I am guessing this was in 2019 or 2020. I have not had this happen with other sellers. Of course, PWCC was the one selling the trimmed cards in the first place, so that doesn't absolve them. But at least they bought back the cards they sold me that had been publicly identified as trimmed or altered.
Good thing the "Hobby Clowns" (according to the Snowman here) brought needed awareness to this fraud, or you never would have been refunded.

Aside from those "Hobby Clowns", the only other reason you got refunded was that another Board Member here (who legally represented PWCC while the FBI was investigating them) advised Brent to offer full refunds on all the altered cards that were exposed. He probably kept Brent out of jail in doing so.

The "Hobby Clowns" put in countless hours (with no pay and no benefit to themselves) to expose the blatant fraud, and still probably caught less than 5% of the doctored cards out there. The hundreds of hours and level of detail they had to dig into was overwhelming. So to see them demeaned in a thread like this is misguided and imbecilic.

https://www.youtube.com/@tsogreatness/videos
Old 01-11-2024, 05:30 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Nobody should be surprised to see this from the guy who spends most of his posts shilling for known fraudsters or trying to justify why it’s okay to do when even he can’t think of a defense.
Old 01-11-2024, 08:19 PM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Good thing the "Hobby Clowns" (according to the Snowman here) brought needed awareness to this fraud, or you never would have been refunded.

Aside from those "Hobby Clowns", the only other reason you got refunded was that another Board Member here (who legally represented PWCC while the FBI was investigating them) advised Brent to offer full refunds on all the altered cards that were exposed. He probably kept Brent out of jail in doing so.

The "Hobby Clowns" put in countless hours (with no pay and no benefit to themselves) to expose the blatant fraud, and still probably caught less than 5% of the doctored cards out there. The hundreds of hours and level of detail they had to dig into was overwhelming. So to see them demeaned in a thread like this is misguided and imbecilic.
Yes, I really should thank the Blowout crowd and the lawyer who advised PWCC to offer refunds.
My avatar is a drawing of a 1958 Topps Hank Aaron by my daughter. If you are interested in one in a similar style based on the card of your choice, details can be found by searching threads with the title phrase Custom Baseball Card Artwork or by PMing me.
Old 01-12-2024, 03:12 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post

Again, I was not referring to BODA when I said "hobby clowns".

Brent likely could have represented himself and nothing would have happened to him. An auction house selling graded cards that trimmers consigned is very clearly not a crime. Even if they knew about it.

In fact, I'll take that a step further. I believe Brent could have sat on the witness stand and openly admitted to trimming cards himself, getting them regraded, putting a "PWCC-S" eye appeal sticker on it, and reselling it on his platform for massive profits and he still wouldn't have been convicted of committing a crime.

"Less than 5%" lol. Yes, 0.00001 is less than 5. Your math checks out

Last edited by Snowman; 01-12-2024 at 03:18 AM.