NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-06-2017, 12:54 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Well, with apologies to the OP, I'll reverse his question:

What card did I always think I would eventually own, but never will:

1952 Topps #311- Mickey Mantle

-

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 12-06-2017 at 12:55 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:58 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post

-
When I first got interested in T206 (in the late '90's) I always figured that I would someday get a Doyle variation. I didn't realize how truly rare (expensive) that card really was.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:01 PM
€dw@rd Sk€£t0n

Quote:

-
I was thinking on a similar line, but more "What card did you think you would never own, but now that you do you think, eh, not as cool as I thought it would be?"

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 12-06-2017, 02:20 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjs View Post
I was thinking on a similar line, but more "What card did you think you would never own, but now that you do you think, eh, not as cool as I thought it would be?"
This one:

scan0003.jpg
Old 12-06-2017, 03:11 PM
Paul

I've known for a decade or so that a signed T206 Lajoie existed, but I really thought I'd never own one. But then about a year ago, I reeled in this white whale...

Lajoie_Batting_SGC_A

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 12-06-2017, 03:29 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

There were a lot of cards that I have always wanted and eventually got my hands on. Before I discuss the cards with you all, I want to say that all of this was possible because I still live at home with my parents. When you don't have to worry about paying the bills, then it's not that difficult to buy expensive sports cards.

As a kid I always wanted a high-end 1966-67 Topps Bobby Orr RC. When I started working in my early 20s, I saved up and purchased a beautiful example from BMW Sportscards. It was an SGC 6, but looked stunning. Many years later, when I ended up in debt, I decided to have some fun by cracking it out of the case and submitting it raw to BVG. It came back a 7.5. I ended up flipping it and paying off my debt.

Another special card that I eventually got my hands on, and still own, is the 1951 Parkhurst Gordie Howe RC in SGC 6.5. Now the centering isn't that great, and that's very common among this cards, but the corners are so sharp that I just had to trade for it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160129_182929.jpg (76.8 KB, 934 views)
Old 12-06-2017, 06:11 PM
Daryle Barbee

Default Ruth

For me it’s the 1916 M101 Ruth RC
I remember reading an article in a 1983 issue of “Baseball Cards Magazine” about Babe Ruth cards. As a 12-year old beginner collector I was drawn to the picture of the Ruth RC. I would look at it and think to myself “I’ll probably never even see a real one”. I was able to see a few at the National Conventions that I attended in 1992, 1999 & 2007....Turn the clock up to 2009. A fellow board member offers his up for sale. I see the card and immediately tell myself....”There’s my Ruth Rookie”. I contacted him. We talked. In couple weeks it was in my hands. Never forget slowly unwrapping the packaging and slowly pulling card out. I was 12-years old again for a few moments ����
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DC075204-D2A6-4B44-A351-E1430F1CABE6.jpg (5.9 KB, 885 views)

Last edited by wolfdogg; 12-06-2017 at 06:12 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:18 PM
Dave_Berg

Greatvcard and story Daryl. Sounds like you got your card around its last time of semi affordability. Congrats on acquiring that gem.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:08 AM
John P
Joh.n Per.rotta

Default Cards

When I first started to collect T206 , I never thought I would own one with a Drum or Uzit back. Years later I got both and with the same player front.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (15.5 KB, 435 views)
Old 02-13-2019, 04:11 AM
John P
Joh.n Per.rotta

Default Back photo

Drum and Uzit Wiltse
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (15.3 KB, 432 views)
Old 02-15-2019, 11:23 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP0621 View Post
When I first started to collect T206 , I never thought I would own one with a Drum or Uzit back. Years later I got both and with the same player front.
So do we have a back run to look forward to?
Old 02-16-2019, 06:00 AM

Default E90-1 Peaches Graham

I was very fortunate to pick up this E90-1 Peaches Graham a few years back.
Luckily it was poorly listed, and sold for a great price, which I was more than happy to pay.

Patrick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PEACHESE901.jpg (52.7 KB, 105 views)
Old 02-13-2019, 02:23 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjs View Post

It's coolness only waned when after I picked up his RC and the two '41 DPs- so I let it go.

I'll get it back someday...too much a TED fan not to.

1941 Play Ball TED WILLIAMS SGC-60 SOLD.jpg

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 12-08-2017, 08:37 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:

-
That's more like how it is for me.
When I started everything was cheap even if it didn't seem that way. And I thought someday I'd have "everything"..........

Now 40 years later I know there are a lot of things with so few copies known that getting a set is incredibly unlikely even with a fantasy unlimited budget. Also my concept of just what "everything" includes has changed drastically. Well beyond the then available reference works.

So it's minor stuff, like figuring I wouldn't find another George C Miller I could afford, but then a beater turned up on ebay listed simply as "old baseball card". There's a bunch of cards now that I figure I simply will never have the money for - Wagner, 52 Mantle - Or have to opportunity to buy. (Funny how the most expensive stuff is usually available if you have the money. I was told that back in 78 or so, but didn't believe it at the time. )

Overall I'm pretty happy with what I've put together so far, some of what I have now has become more expensive than I'd be willing to pay so I'm glad I bought it years ago.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:55 AM

Default Babe Ruth RC

For me, It was The Babe Ruth RC. I read about it and saw it many many years ago and thought their would be no way I could ever afford that card. Then fast forward 20 years. My business was doing really good and my wife convinced me to pull the trigger and get it. I still wake up every day and can't believe I own it. Now, my son likes it even more then I do!!!, lol

Troy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1916m101-4baberuthrookiefront.jpg (43.3 KB, 792 views)