NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Buy/Sell/Trade Section (must login, caveat emptor) > Tobacco (T) cards, except T206 B/S/T

Old 01-20-2012, 07:49 AM
David Linardy

Default sovereign green apple back sam crawford

I was sorting through my t206s and came across a sovereign green apple sam crawford with bat... I read somewhere that these were rare and typically commanded a premium... If so, what is the premium for such cards? I purchased this one in a halls nostalgia auction in the early 90's for around $30, unfortunately upon close examination it looks to be trimmed (ow would probably rate vg with no creases...

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Dave

Psif anyone is interested I would be happy to mail scans
Old 01-22-2012, 04:40 AM
David Linardy

Default Crawford Phots

Here are the photos of the above mentioned Crawford

Thanks,
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crawford_Back.jpg (41.9 KB, 220 views)
File Type: jpg Crawford_Front.jpg (47.9 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpg Crawford_sideside.jpg (58.4 KB, 219 views)
Old 01-22-2012, 04:35 PM
Belltown Vintage

This seems very important to you, so I'll bump your original thread.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:54 AM
David Linardy

Default Bump

Thanks Scott,

Wasn't sure how to "bump" a thread, so i figured it would be equally as effective to create a new one with the pictures inserted.

I appreciate your feedback and apologize if this has offended you or any other board members...
Old 01-23-2012, 08:13 AM
BRIAN C0ATS

Default I'll bite

Since nobody else is taking a crack at this one I'll share what I know about this card.

The fact that your Crawford is a Sovereign back does give it some additional value. Sovereign backs are more difficult to obtain than Piedmont or Sweet Caporal. Not by a wide margin but there is some additional value there. The fact that it is an Apple Green Sovereign is redundant. All Crawford W/Bat Sovereigns are Apple Green. There may be a handful of people out there looking for an Apple Green HOFer for their back set but there is very little additional demand because it is Apple Green.

The card is definately trimmed. No "closer inspection" needed. It's trimmed.

I'd place a ballpark price on it of $30-$40.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:47 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves_resale_shop View Post
Thanks Scott,

Wasn't sure how to "bump" a thread,
???? you just did.

There's no offense to anyone. It's a B/S/T forum where everyone is interested in having their items at the top.

If it helps any, go look at the T206 Sovereign page on my website and you will see what Apple Greens are NOT selling for

^
|
cheap plug for Scott's cards.

One additional thought: every time I have asked for a value of a card here on this forum, at least half of the quotes have been 10-30% of actual market value (found out later). Another curiosity - the lowball quotes were from people who were interested in purchasing. You can use that information as you will

Last edited by Runscott; 01-23-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:56 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedinBlue View Post
Since nobody else is taking a crack at this one I'll share what I know about this card.

The fact that your Crawford is a Sovereign back does give it some additional value. Sovereign backs are more difficult to obtain than Piedmont or Sweet Caporal. Not by a wide margin but there is some additional value there. The fact that it is an Apple Green Sovereign is redundant. All Crawford W/Bat Sovereigns are Apple Green. There may be a handful of people out there looking for an Apple Green HOFer for their back set but there is very little additional demand because it is Apple Green.

The card is definately trimmed. No "closer inspection" needed. It's trimmed.

I'd place a ballpark price on it of $30-$40.
Brian, a few things:
  • I have had plenty of Sovereigns that were short, but NOT trimmed. I would have no problem buying this card with a money-back guarantee if upon receipt I felt like it was trimmed - I think ALL ungraded cards should be sold/traded with such a guarantee.
  • Apple Green cards sell for a premium...period. It doesn't matter if the player only comes with apple green. Honus Wagner only comes with Piedmont and SC 150 backs. Scarcity is the issue - not the assortment of backs available.
  • I would pay $30-40 for that card all day long.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:16 AM
BRIAN C0ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Brian, a few things:
  • I have had plenty of Sovereigns that were short, but NOT trimmed. I would have no problem buying this card with a money-back guarantee if upon receipt I felt like it was trimmed - I think ALL ungraded cards should be sold/traded with such a guarantee.
  • Apple Green cards sell for a premium...period. It doesn't matter if the player only comes with apple green. Honus Wagner only comes with Piedmont and SC 150 backs. Scarcity is the issue - not the assortment of backs available.
  • I would pay $30-40 for that card all day long.
Did you make an offer? I didn't and have no interest in the card despite your implication that I am trying to lowball the card away from the guy. I certainly could be wrong on price but not by much. A PSA 1.5 Apple Green Sovereign Crawford w/bat sold for $50 recently. A PSA 2 went for $65. A trimmed card should go for less. Just my thoughts. Of course if is not trimmed (it sure looks very, very small though) then you're talking a $150 card. At least given recent sales of PSA 3-4's. All of this is easy to research and verify.

And yes, quoted sales are all for Apple Green Sovereign's.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:27 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedinBlue View Post
Did you make an offer? I didn't and have no interest in the card despite your implication that I am trying to lowball the card away from the guy. I certainly could be wrong on price but not by much. A PSA 1.5 Apple Green Sovereign Crawford w/bat sold for $50 recently. A PSA 2 went for $65. A trimmed card should go for less. Just my thoughts. Of course if is not trimmed (it sure looks very, very small though) then you're talking a $150 card. At least given recent sales of PSA 3-4's. All of this is easy to research and verify.

And yes, quoted sales are all for Apple Green Sovereign's.
Yes, I realize it's easy to research and verify - that's why I said I'd pay $30-40 all day long for that card. Maybe that's why you thought there was an implication that you were low-balling, but the implication wasn't intended.

It's still daylight, so my offer still stands, but I would recommend the owner put it on ebay. Because, as you noted, esoteric backs can sometimes slip by ebayers, I would have a $49 opening bid (or BIN) or a higher fixed price. I'll bet you a nickel that someone takes a $49 BIN.

Yes, I agree with you that it looks very small. I don't really get it, but I've seen a lot of short Sovereigns that had nothing wrong with them. There are a lot of cards like that: the Browne Washington variation almost always measures short. It might be a good question for Tim Cathey - ask him if Sovereigns typically measure short. Ted Z would also be a good source for such information.