NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-12-2011, 10:18 PM

Default Can anyone date this Wagner photo?

Looking to draw on the members' vast knowledge to help pinpoint the year this Honus Wagner photo was taken. All I know for sure it that it is pre-1932 given the info on the verso.
I've tried to research the socks, the 'P' (I think) on the sleeve, the cap...I came up with no exact correct combo for specific year.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ####honuswagner.jpg (73.1 KB, 378 views)
Old 06-13-2011, 06:14 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Well,
If your dating is correct it isn't likely to be a Pirate uniform.
I don't see any record on Dressed to the Nines of Pirates sock,s from 1900-1925, with a Blue-White-Blue pattern.
1912 White-Blue-White
1913, 1922, 1923 Blue-White.
All the other years' socks had red in them.
Show us the back of the pic. Sometime there are clues there as well.
Mark

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 06-13-2011, 10:13 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

Could it be a circa 1923-31 Pirates uni with different socks? That would have been after his regular playing days, so maybe an old timers game with a looser dress code? The socks are the mis-match. They don't match any Pirates uniform during his playing days or afterward through 1931 (which is where I stopped looking based on your initial comment).

Is there any stamping on the back from a news service or photographer? That can help date it too. Not fair to tease about information on the back and then not show it!
Old 06-13-2011, 10:43 AM

I just bought it and have not yet received the photo. There is a written remark on the back which reads date "filed ##-##-31"...that is why I can say that it is at least pre-1932. There is also hand writing on the back which is mostly obscured by three taped on newspaper clips in which this photo was used. There is no slug attached. Believe me, I am really anxious to see what lies beneath those three taped pieces of newspaper. I know that a lot of the fun is waiting to receive the item, but it IS killing me!
For whatever reason, I am unable to view the verso image on my work computer. I'll post the given image of the back when I return to my home PC tonight. I will also post the image of the full back when I receive it and pry beneath the attachments.
Thanks for your help. I really do appreciate it.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:07 PM

Default Wagner photo

The photo is from 1931, I believe. ... an exhibition game against "the Baltimore Internationals," according to an Associated News Service broadside I picked up a few years ago. The broadside is 14 by 17 and mainly orange, and the photo is more horizontal, showing a catcher and ump. According to the headline/caption, Wagner and a team of ex-stars beat the Baltimores 6-5. I have the broadside framed with a period copy of the photo. The photo has caption information on the back -- and, of course, I can't get to it without taking the backing off. There's no explanation of the hit on the broadside, but I seem to recall it being a home run. And I think the umpire was Mal Eason. ... The date is in tiny print at the bottom; not sure if it was published the day of the game as an inducement to get people to buy a newspaper, or maybe it came out a day or two later. But it is dated Aug. 12, 1931. One other tidbit: the credit on the photo is "Elliott Service Co., N.Y." Hope this helps. Nice buy; cool photo of a 57-year-old slugger.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:32 PM
J.O.N

What a cool looking swing/pose in this pic!
Old 06-13-2011, 08:53 PM

Thanks to all. Honus Guy you really hit the nail right on the head. I did some online research and found the picture you describe with the catcher and the ump both watching the flight of the ball. Awesome shot!
Another interesting tidbit: this shot of The Dutchman was used on the 2008 Topps Stadium Club and 2010 Topps Peak Performance cards. It is easy to see why.
Here is the back of my picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg honusverso.jpg (75.3 KB, 275 views)
File Type: jpg ####honuswagner.jpg (73.1 KB, 275 views)
Old 06-13-2011, 09:34 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Funny thing is the tag line on the lowest of the newspaper cutouts, dated Jul 10, 1994.
"Honus Wagner in his heyday as a powerful batter"
As Honus Guy pointed out, he was 57 in this picture. His baseball peak must've been a lot later than most.

I guess newspaper guys don't do a lot of research?

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL

Last edited by Lordstan; 06-13-2011 at 09:35 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:10 PM

I received the pic in the mail today. I love it!

I was hoping to get more info about the photo/photographer from the writing that is (was) beneath the three newspaper clips. I carefully trimmed off the newspaper to reveal the writing. The name HANS can clearly be seen. Maybe the WAGNER was cut off when the photo was resized? The rest of the writing is just editor's notes for placement and sizing of pic.

Do you see any clues which may point to a specific photographer?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg honus1931verso2.jpg (76.3 KB, 190 views)
Old 06-30-2011, 09:57 AM

Default Honus photo

And the catcher is Art Denning
Old 06-30-2011, 11:16 PM
Paul

Default Bargain T206 Wagners

Don't forget to turn that in to the library, like the pink sticker says. Also, Do they have any more of those $110,000 Honus Wagner cards left?