NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-28-2010, 11:13 AM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

They look great for being forged within the last week or so, in my opinion. I wonder if the ink was dry.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:00 PM
keith janosky

Check to see if these end up back in there auction within a couple months if there are sent to PSA or JSA for futher autnetication and flunk. Maybe they are shill bidding over there to make it look like they are real autographs to fool the idiots that have more money than brains.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:21 PM
Marc Powers

Default Prices

I think there is alot of shill bidding going on there!!! And alot of other places too!!!
Old 03-28-2010, 12:22 PM
Barry Sloate

The description of the Picasso piece states it has a retail value of 750K. They realized 15K. That's 2% of retail. Not too shabby.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:46 PM

Barry,

I bet if I won the Powerball and was instantly worth $50 million dollars and then went to Coach's Corner and told them I would be interested in buying as many Picasso's as possible at such great prices, they would magically come up with as many as I wanted.....

David
Old 03-28-2010, 03:45 PM
qualitycards

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
The description of the Picasso piece states it has a retail value of 750K. They realized 15K. That's 2% of retail. Not too shabby.
Barry, they state the Picasso appraisal fee cost $5K from the consignor, so take that off the top end as well as CC's fees. And the consignor got peanuts for a $750K Picasso.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:46 PM
Richard Simon

It appears that a number of items that Roaches sold have appeared on Internet dealer sites, a la the Gehrig jersey from Pawn Stars. There seem to be dealers out there bidding for this stuff.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 03-28-2010, 05:51 PM
Barry Sloate

I saw that too Jay. They spent 5K to have it appraised, then proceeded to give it away for nothing.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:30 PM

$5K for an appraisal of one item??? A family of four could live on the collector's appraisal budget.

Last edited by drc; 03-29-2010 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:44 PM
David M.

$5K to get it appraised and then they lost the certificates? Yeah, right!
Old 03-30-2010, 09:39 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Default Grayghost....need a whistle blower.

http://cgi.ebay.com/8x10-autographed...item2eabd7dca6

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 03-30-2010, 11:32 AM
Scott

Did you report it? I just did, hopefully they'll yank it (no pun intended) soon.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:59 PM

Default Ha Ha!

To really understand the beauty of this operation (and humor), you have to go through their auctions with a fine comb and dedicate yourself to the lunacy.

You take for instance the Harry Wright ball. The guy passed away in 1896 and here is a single signed baseball, in bold fountain pen and did Lelands get it or Robert Edward where this this thing could fetch $50,000 or $60,000 or who knows (first ever single signed ball?), but what did Coach's get? $809!

Red Ruffing?

Lastly, what doesn't make sense here?

#72 Boston Red Sox Autographed PSA/DNA Photograph by 3 Captains! $225
#12 John Clarkson hand signed/certified cut signature $150
#92 Dick Butkus hand signed "PSA/DNA" certified Bears jersey! $144
#28 Christy Mathewson Giants hansigned/certified check cut signature $200
# 94 Elgin Baylor hand signed "PSA/DNA" Certified Lakers jersey! $392
#199 Ty Cobb Autographed/Certified Softball. $204
#250 Barry Bonds single signed "JSA" Certified baseball! $203
#859 Christy Mathewson Autographed/Certified Christmas Card $220
#1621 Clete Boyer & Ken Boyer dual auto'd B&W 8x10 photo w/ "JSA" COA $204

Just think, a Dick Butkus jersey sold for almost as much as a John Clarkson signature and a Barry Bonds ball almost fetched the same as a Christy Mathewson signed Christmas card. Nothing fishy about this! Oh, they sold five Christy Mathewson signed items (including a 1925 New York Giants TEAM-SIGNED/Certified Large Cut Signature by 13 with Christy Mathewson and Jennings which brought $363!) for a tad more than $1500!

Can't wait for the new auction in a few days Coach's! GG, start us off in two!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-harrywright.jpg (51.9 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg 1-ruffing.jpg (33.5 KB, 140 views)
Old 03-31-2010, 08:13 AM
Scott

It's not lunacy. It's out and out forgeries and ripping people off. The bidders are idiots too, for thinking this stuff is good, at those prices. Plus, some will flip it to bay, or some "local auction" and try and make money. It's a vicious circle, and until the authorities step in, nothing will happen.

Yes, when the new stuff comes in, I shall post a few choice ones. Always both a fun and very disturbing topic at the same time.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:38 PM
Lar.ry Mur.phy

Wow! I guess it pays to look closer to get the humor. The Pawn Stars episode basically outlined how it's done, really. The secret formula. So the owner of the Harry Wright ball, which is valued as noted above, will attempt to sell this for a hefty profit, but still a bargain to consumer.

He buys it for $800, shows that cut signatures sell for $2,000-$3,000 and then says "since no other example has ever been sold in this fashion, I want $10,000, but I will settle for $3,000" and a profit is made. It is a cycle where bargains are traded for what people perceive to be legitimate provenances and sources.

Pretty nice for all, but the buyer.

Larry
Old 04-01-2010, 10:44 PM
Jim D

"court qualified forensic expert" Chris "morals" Morales,

people''s court doesn't count, Morales and "rain man" are big Wapner fans!!

i nearly pee'd myself!

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!

Last edited by FUBAR; 04-01-2010 at 10:46 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:17 AM
Scott

What I find hilarious is where people like Morales (who I think is authenticating a Moses "cut" this month) and Scat Authentic get exemplars for some of these legitimately rare signatures, so they can make their judgments.

Its time to put the heat up a bit on this operation. It may be time for a letter soon to the Attorney General in Pennsylvania.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:36 AM
Barry Sloate

It's still shocking to me how long they have been doing this without being shut down. The only defense I think they have is that everything they sell has an LOA, or if it is a card it has a slab. Maybe the T206 Cobb in a PRO holder is near worthless, but if you challenged them they would tell you that we went to the trouble to have it third party graded, so what do you want from us? And maybe every one of those Morales LOA's are protecting them legally- hey, we went to a great deal of trouble and expense to have these authenticated. What did we do wrong?
Old 04-03-2010, 12:55 AM
Jim D

well the sample auto and the item auto will be the same if the same guy signed them five minutes apart, in the same office, with the same pen all while drinking the same coke and laughing about the money they make!

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 04-03-2010, 05:24 AM
Scott

Well, the interesting thing with the Roaches forgeries is that some people think there are consignors, some think they do their own forgeries. I think its a mix of the two.

What Im looking forward to is a ball one day that doesn't match. Jackie Robinson on a Bill White Ball..hehe or something. Maybe it will slip through the system.

It's sad when people can look forward to their huge auctions each month, but always for the wrong reasons. It will come down on them like the collapse of a house of cards, soon.