NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-27-2005, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Default The Josh Gibson on Ebay

Posted By: one-in-ten

I'm just curious. The last time it was listed with a reserve, it stalled out at around 20 thousand, but now without a reserve it's already over 25 thousand. Is a reserve that much of a deterrent for a high ticket card?

--Chad

Old 09-27-2005, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

When the reserve amount is unknown, some bidders don't bid as it might be a waste of effort. For all these bidders know, the seller might not really be looking to sell or is unrealistic as to value and the hidden reserve is $20 million.

Personally, I will sometimes bid in hidden reserve auctions and have won items in hidden reserve auctions. However, after three or four bids without hitting reserve and not knowing if bids five or six will get even close to the reserve, I will often say 'Forget this'-- where I might have placed bid six or seven in a straight auction.

Old 09-27-2005, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

Everybody wants that card now that Hal has one.

Old 09-27-2005, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bottom of the Ninth

I like the seller but I am not too excited about some of the bidding history. Now there is a zero feedback bidder as "high" bidder, ramses6141. Registered in Feb 05, has not bid on anything in the last 30 days, at least, and this happens to be the only card he is on now.

It is nice to see that Hal's bid has been topped and he is going to give the rest of us a fair shot, as he had indicated.

This card has always been white hot. The trouble was that very few examples were ever made available to the public.

Old 09-27-2005, 05:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter_Spaeth

"Everybody wants that card now that Hal has one."

Might have just slightly more to do with the fact that it's Josh Gibson than the fact that there is now one in the HAL of fame.

Old 09-27-2005, 06:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jonathan Perry

Yes, as the seller I am aware that the card is now doing better with out the reserve. Incase anyone was wondering the reserve was made available to anyone who asked. In response to Greg...yes I am aware there is a "0" feedback high bidder and am in the process of trying to contact him. I am pretty sure you have to be approved by e-bay to place a bid for a high dollar item. Hopefully, the bidder will get back to me soon and confirm his information. I do believe rare and high dollar items tend to attract thrill bidders or individuals who are not regular e-bay bidder. Let’s hope the latter is the case. Lastly if anyone has any questions about the card please feel free to e-mail me directly at jperry@nyc.rr.com
best of luck to all who bid

Jon

Old 09-27-2005, 07:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

In fairness to Jon as the seller...

I can't promise that I am through bidding on this card.

If someone really wants it...

then they should set high snipes at the end.

That way Jon does well on his sale.

Old 09-27-2005, 07:55 PM
Administrator

Hal are you trying to win the card or just drive the price up? If the latter I guess I was wrong when I posted before I didn't think that was your style.

Old 09-27-2005, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Guess Hal really is interested in having two examples of a card he did not consider to be a real card.

Old 09-28-2005, 07:07 AM
Administrator

Greg and Peter:

You guys are forgetting that the one for sale is HIGHER graded than the one that I own and would therefore be considered an upgrade.

Why would I NOT be interested in buying the higher graded one and then offering mine to the runner-up bidder?

Old 09-28-2005, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

are you selling this card personally or for Lelands (assuming you are the same guy I met at the Hollywood Park show at the Lelands booth; if not, please disregard)?

Old 09-28-2005, 06:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe maples

WARSHALAW, I wondered the same thing as I talked to Jonathan from Lelands last week about some consignments.

Joe

Old 09-29-2005, 01:23 AM
Administrator

Hal,

I just went to your site and noticed that you now have the SGC 88 pictured. Man, you do not mess around when you make your mind up, do you?

Old 09-29-2005, 04:26 AM
Administrator

what?

I wish.

Leland's does have an SGC 84 for sale for $50,000.

Old 09-29-2005, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Why did you edit your post above about the SGC 88 falling into your lap? Something about being made fun of the tape stain on your SGC 40????

P.S. You might want to change the text on your website since you are no longer showing the SGC 88 since the SGC 40 is not the BEST example.

This is the BEST example in the World of this rare Cuban rookie card of Josh Gibson, the "Babe Ruth" of the Negro Leagues!! Only a handful are known to exist.

Old 09-29-2005, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

When Hal commented that the Ebay Gibson would be an upgrade for him, I went to his website and saw the SGC 88. Really nice looking card, but when I checked back today the SGC 88 is now a 40. A nice looking 40 at that.

However, I gotta admit that I was confused when Hal mentioned an Ebay upgrade only to find the 88 on his site.

P.S Hal,I'm always checking to see if you acquired any rare back T206 Cobbs I also check to make sure you're still taking care of the EPDG Cobb! Good to see you are

Brian E.

Old 09-29-2005, 12:28 PM
Administrator

I had attached the wrong scan from my computer to the web site. Sorry for the confusion.

Old 09-29-2005, 12:57 PM
Administrator

No problem Hal. I did that with your Wagner on my site.

Old 09-29-2005, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Not a comment specific to this thread, but the ability to edit posts long after the fact sometimes makes reading a thread confusing. Kinda like 1984 where they would go back and wipe out all the evidence of historical events and you couldn't prove then that they had happened. I think Orwell said something like "He who controls the past controls the present."

Old 09-29-2005, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

It's a board issue. Ain't gonna change....but at least if you see something not making sense you can see if something along the way was edited. No one but my other moderators or myself can delete a whole post.....so you can tell if something has been tampered with, at least. I guess I could go back and lock the 1,000,000 threads

Old 09-29-2005, 03:17 PM
Administrator

Just an observation, not a criticism.

Old 09-30-2005, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Could someone tell me the story on Josh Gibson and why his card(s) is worth so much? Thanks.

Old 09-30-2005, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chad

He's most likey the greatest catcher of all time, perhaps the greatest Negro league hitter of all time, and that Toleteros of him is his only known baseball card, thought it's more of a "tribute" card as it was released several years after his death. That and there's only a handul of those Gibson's known to exist. It all adds up to one valuable card. In fact, those Toleteros sets--they were issued for 3 years--are pretty spectacular. IMHO of course.

--Chad

Old 09-30-2005, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

He was considered perhaps the greatest player in the history of the Negro Leagues (he was called the black Babe Ruth) and his cards are virtually nonexistent. In fact, pretty much the only way to get cards of Negro Leaguers issued during their playing days is from the Cuban issues such as Aguilitas and Billiken, among others. Not an easy task, and expensive at that.

Old 09-30-2005, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BlackSoxFan

Don't get me started as to why i think that the value of this card is poorly arrived at and bogus.... but to make a long story short.... it's his only card and he is legendary b/c of his "did great things and died young" story similar to Jimi or someone of that ilk. That being said, i do like the toleteros set as a whole.

Regards,

Black Sox Fan

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

email me

* I'm smart enough to know that there are a lot of people who know more than I do.

Old 09-30-2005, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

it is a post-career card that has great appeal to collectors, hence its high price. Ditto the 1940 PB Joe Jackson. The real story is how the great flackery effort by Lelands has driven the awareness of the card and made it a must-have item to some high-profile collectors. Remember, Ted, none of this has any intrinsic value--it is all perception driven.

Old 09-30-2005, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

I think the next card of his is from 1974, so even if it is posthumous, it is the only one even remotely contemporary with his playing days. That plus as others have mentioned that at least as far as we know, there are only a few copies in existence or at least that have been located.

Old 09-30-2005, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

and, what's more, it's free!

Old 10-02-2005, 08:43 PM
Administrator

WOW!! The 0 feedback bidder won the card. What a first purchase on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5247606654

Old 10-02-2005, 08:54 PM
Administrator

I smell the sarcasm from this coast.

Old 10-02-2005, 08:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BlackSoxFan

Adam -
This isn't the same as the 1940 play ball jackson...that being said, it is similar..and you don't see a Play Ball Jackson in my colleciton...nor will you unless the price is extrememly reasonable.
HOWEVER, the perceived value of the Jackson at least makes sense...once again, i don't care to get into a long discussion. The Josh Gibson doesn't even belong in the toleteros set in the first place. I'm not arguing about what the value of this card is or should be...this conversation could be expanded to many different areas and many different cards...i was simply answering the question.

Regards,

Black Sox Fan

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

email me

* I'm smart enough to know that there are a lot of people who know more than I do.

Old 10-02-2005, 08:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

Black Sox Fan,

Why doesn't the Gibson belong in the Toleteros set? Do you know something about the set that the rest of us don't? Is it an issue you have familiarity with?

-Ryan

Old 10-02-2005, 09:00 PM
Administrator

Only fitting Hal as I smell something else on this coast.

Old 10-02-2005, 10:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Larry

Jon Perry has always been a reputable dealer..I sure hope that the bidder with zero feedback is as reputable..That would be a large e bay fee to pay if not honorable bid... he would then have to report as unpaid bidder item, I would suggest Jon gives this zero feedback guy 3 days to contact o/w take second highest bidder..this card is not worth this kind of negative publicity but Jon's reputation as being fair and reliable is, especially working for Lelands.

Old 10-02-2005, 10:25 PM
Administrator

Larry,

I have already stated that Jon is a good guy but the bidding history on this card stinks. Anyone with half of a brain can see that. My assumption is that this card belongs to Leland's and Jon was asked to sell it via ebay for Josh. How this auction went down may have no reflection on Jon since I have never known him to be anything but upstanding.

If I were the under bidder I would not want anything to do with this unless of course the owner is willing to sell the card at the high bid of $22,500.

Thanks much for your input.

Greg

Old 10-03-2005, 04:36 AM
Administrator

The underbidder is the same guy who won the card last time it was up... but it did not meet the reserve...

so I assume they will now offer it to him for whatever price that FIRST auction ended.