NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-02-2007, 08:18 PM
Administrator

Default General Baking Company - Mothers Bread- D303

Posted By: leon

This is thought to be from 1919 but I haven't verified it yet. A Mothers Bread- General Baking truck. Nice ad to go with my new set venture...D303 General/Mothers Bread...It says General Baking on the side. It can't be read in the scan but can in the actual ad.

Old 09-07-2007, 05:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Harry Wallace (HW)

Leon, are you collecting the entire set? Has anyone ever completed one before? I do not remember the legendary collections (Nagy, Egan, Carter, etc.) having one.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:46 AM
Administrator

I am collecting the entire set of D303 with the different backs, Mothers and General Baking. Not sure if I will continue too long as I am not sure I like spending so much on commons of the regular General Baking cards....we'll see....As for the well known collections I think each probably had some D303's, as I have bought some from the Carter collection, but I don't think either had complete sets. I do know one board member that is only a handful, or so, away from completion on the D303 General Baking series....The most Mothers I have ever seen are about 14 in a Mastro lot, about a year ago, and I was the underbidder. The winner has been selling some and I have picked up a few of those.....I doubt anyone has completed a Mothers Bread set as back collecting is mostly a more recent phenomenon. I feel it was so difficult pre-internet to get these sets that collectors didn't worry about the different backs as much.....just my opinion on that from the old collections I have seen...

Old 09-07-2007, 08:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

Leon - are you building a master set with both backs? or a single set regardless of back?

Either way, quite a task!

Old 09-07-2007, 11:41 AM
Administrator

I am going to try for a Master (both backs) set but eventually I might settle for only a Mothers backed D303 set.....I doubt either has been accomplished....As I said in the other post I might get tired of paying a lot for commons and only go for the Mothers cards...

Old 09-07-2007, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: robert a

Leon,

You're crazy, but smart for collecting these.

I think GBs are underrated still for how tough they are to find. You never see them. As for Mothers, do we even know how many are out there?

I unfortuately traded away a Speaker several years ago.

Anyways, send me your dupes.

Rob

Old 09-07-2007, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

I have always had a hard time paying hundreds of dollars for commons as well, which is why I gave up set collecting long ago.

I would imagine that even just a Mothers set will be many many years in the making. Didn't that Mastro lot include one or two examples that were uncataloged? With new discoveries still being made, your set may never be complete. That is a testament to how rare these are.

Old 09-07-2007, 12:21 PM
Administrator

I will have a dupe Mothers Knabe coming up.....I don't think all of the Mothers backed ones are catalogued and I think (without looking in SCD) that there are about 21 catalogued. BTW, I got my Mothers backed Speaker in a trade and the cost came out to 0.....which is a perfect number, though I think it can be argued that "0" is in fact not a number....

Richard- I believe there were 4 uncatalogued ones in that Mastro group...going from memory. I went as high as I could...but a good friend wanted them more....I think I now have 3-4 from that very group...

Old 09-07-2007, 12:50 PM
Administrator

Can someone post a scan of a mothers?

Old 09-07-2007, 01:00 PM
Administrator

a few

Old 09-07-2007, 01:15 PM
Administrator

General Baking backs and Mothers appear to be very distinct from each other even though they both go by the D303 designation.

While researching General Baking a while back, I came across a photo of the New Orleans GB factory. It looks like (similar to D304) the GB backs were inserted into several different Breads (STAR, FRENCH, LITTLE GENERAL) at perhaps several different bakeries in the New York area. In the mean time, Mothers were only inserted into the one product down south even though Leon's ad suggest that Mothers bread was popular up north as well.

Also similar to D304 is the phrase "Until September 1st"

Rob