NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-02-2015, 01:40 PM
Shaun Fyffe

Default White Plains Show

Did anybody go to this show yesterday / today? I was wondering if the Heritage booth had the Jackie Robinson Bond Bread set on display or if they took it with them to the Toronto? show?

Thanks!

Currently seeking Jackie Robinson cards
Old 05-02-2015, 06:20 PM
Don Hontz

I set up at the show. A nice turnout for the May show. Heritage is not at the show. The show has been very good for me. Sold quite a few high end cards. I purchased a 52 topps mantle (PSA 2). I am looking for one more. PSA 1 to 5. Some dealers are having a good show and it seems like the autograph dealers are having a slow show.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:14 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donscards View Post
I set up at the show. A nice turnout for the May show. Heritage is not at the show. The show has been very good for me. Sold quite a few high end cards. I purchased a 52 topps mantle (PSA 2). I am looking for one more. PSA 1 to 5. Some dealers are having a good show and it seems like the autograph dealers are having a slow show.
Did you see much pre-war or see anyone coming in and especially asking for it?
Old 05-06-2015, 04:06 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

I was at the show on Saturday. Ended up spending most of the day chatting with Al from LOTG and Peter. Did pick up a couple of common Diamond Stars. In general, I thought the show was a little less crowded then normal. Most of the people I overheard were looking for either 50's or modern.

DJ
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 05-06-2015, 04:18 PM

I've been setting up for the last 3 years at White Plains, carrying 99% prewar cards, mostly PSA graded T206 cards. Quite busy selling a T206 Johnson hands at chest 5, Young portrait 4, plus an additional 10 Hall Of Famers, in grades 4 & 5. Considering how nice the weather was all weekend, it was profitable.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:38 PM
Steve Asmus

I talked my wife into letting me slip over to the show for about an hour on Sunday while we were in New Haven picking our daughter up from college. Picked up a few nice cards ('66 Billy Williams and a couple other high grade Billy Williams cards for my collection). I was really impressed with the caliber of the cards at this show. I was pressed for time so didn't get to spend a lot of time looking though the T206's, but was very impressed with what I was able to look at. Even had the chance to look at Exhibit cards from two different exhibitors. Collectors in that area should be thankful for such a good show with this vast amount and variety of cards, most of the shows in my area consist of about 20-30 tables with only one or two having anything that I am interested in. I will definitely start planning our visits to our daughter @ Yale to correspond with this show in the future! While I was there the crowd was very slim, I hope it picked up after I had to take off on Sunday.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:26 AM
Don Hontz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Did you see much pre-war or see anyone coming in and especially asking for it?
Leon The show had alot of pre-war cards---I would say 4-5 dealers specialized in those cards---I sold 2 T206 Ty Cobb cards including my EPDG back SGC 60--Also sold Cy Young--Walter Johnson and Mathewson in lower grades---Those 3 always sell---I sold one Mayo and all my raw T205s (lot of 35)---I purchased a PSA 2 1952 Mantle (which I am always looking for) and missed out on a PSA 3 Mantle--I also bought a SGC 50 1933 Goudey Babe # 181-The show was strong Fri and Sat--Weak on Sunday---The White Plains show is an excellent show for vintage cards--some great dealers set up.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:00 PM
T!M R10rd@n

I wanted to get there Sunday, was just too exhausted to make the trip.

It's an hour and a half trip each way for me. I try to get to the shows there a couple of times a year, just wasn't up to it this time.

And yes, there is usually a decent supply of vintage material there.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:30 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzcardz View Post
I wanted to get there Sunday, was just too exhausted to make the trip.

It's an hour and a half trip each way for me. I try to get to the shows there a couple of times a year, just wasn't up to it this time.

And yes, there is usually a decent supply of vintage material there.
Yes, that's the problem if you live on Long Island (I'm in Huntington area). It's too exhausting. Fight the LIE traffic, pay exorbitant bridge fees, get back on the surface streets, parking is an expensive nightmare,, etc, etc, et al, et al. Maybe we can get a carpool going for the next one?
Old 05-08-2015, 07:04 AM
Rich Klein

Or even though it's a little time consuming -- take the train to the show
Old 05-08-2015, 08:49 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
Or even though it's a little time consuming -- take the train to the show

You obviously have no idea what that would entail on a weekend.

Monday to Friday I take the train to Manhattan, and wouldn't even consider driving on a daily basis.

However . . . an hour and a half drive each way to White Plains, would turn into a two trains, two subways and a walk, probably averaging 3.5 to 4 hours each way! It would still cost me about $25 even though I have a monthly ticket for one of the trains, and if my son was going with me that would add bring the total transportation cost to about $70. The end result would be that I would never go.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:52 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S View Post
Yes, that's the problem if you live on Long Island (I'm in Huntington area). It's too exhausting. Fight the LIE traffic, pay exorbitant bridge fees, get back on the surface streets, parking is an expensive nightmare,, etc, etc, et al, et al. Maybe we can get a carpool going for the next one?
Paul, easy on those exorbitant bridge fees . . . I design bridges for a living so I sometimes wish the fees were higher!

I hit the WP shows maybe 2 or 3 times a year. I'll try to keep you in mind next time I'm going, which likely will not be until the fall (summer is pretty well booked up already).