NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-13-2016, 09:03 PM
Rob

Default I went to the Antiques Roadshow today!

Actually, I volunteered for 10.5 hours and walked 13.5 miles while there . I was a greeter and took people to wherever they wanted to go first and then showed them where their next stop would be. It was very fun! As a volunteer, I was able to get two items appraised.

I took my Willie Mays skateboard. Grant from MBA Auctions in Seattle said $1000 and from what I've seen, that's about right (even in this condition). I recently learned these were made for one year only, only sold in CA and only sold at Macys.

My other item was this 9' wide bunting. Thanks to Dave Grob (I think), I was able to photo match it to the first Opening Day at Candlestick in 1960. Grant liked it and said $1500-2500
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sayhey.jpg (42.5 KB, 460 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0731.jpg (75.7 KB, 458 views)
Old 08-13-2016, 10:26 PM

Super cool. A Willie Mays skateboard. Dang. That's sweet.
Old 08-13-2016, 10:34 PM
Dan Bretta

I didn't realize that MBA auctions had a rep at the Roadshow. I wonder if that's how they came into the Clarence Steen autograph collection they auctioned last year. I would really love to hear the story behind that collection. Who owned it, and how they came to own it.

edited to add: I went to the roadshow about 10 years ago and Simeon Lipman looked at my baseball cards....I had about 10 Old Judge Omaha players, I don't recall what he valued them at. I also took some very rare Kruschev and Mao bobbleheads that I wanted Ted Hake to look at, but I unfortunately got some lady who damn near broke the Kruschev, she started shaking it to make the head bobble and when I say shaking it, I mean violently. I think my jaw hit the table...I snatched it back and told her not to touch it again. She told me it was worth 10 bucks. I told her she was waayyyy off and I asked for Ted Hake. He unfortunately couldn't make the trip to Omaha. I sold the Kruschev and Mao nodders for about $2,000 on the Nodder Exchange a few years later.

Last edited by slidekellyslide; 08-13-2016 at 10:43 PM.
Old 08-13-2016, 11:29 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
I didn't realize that MBA auctions had a rep at the Roadshow. I wonder if that's how they came into the Clarence Steen autograph collection they auctioned last year. I would really love to hear the story behind that collection. Who owned it, and how they came to own it.

edited to add: I went to the roadshow about 10 years ago and Simeon Lipman looked at my baseball cards....I had about 10 Old Judge Omaha players, I don't recall what he valued them at. I also took some very rare Kruschev and Mao bobbleheads that I wanted Ted Hake to look at, but I unfortunately got some lady who damn near broke the Kruschev, she started shaking it to make the head bobble and when I say shaking it, I mean violently. I think my jaw hit the table...I snatched it back and told her not to touch it again. She told me it was worth 10 bucks. I told her she was waayyyy off and I asked for Ted Hake. He unfortunately couldn't make the trip to Omaha. I sold the Kruschev and Mao nodders for about $2,000 on the Nodder Exchange a few years later.
I don't know of Clarence Steen but I'm not surprised by your nodder story. Sometimes, we know more than them. Not to toot my own horn, but I'm probably more versed in SF Giants stuff than they. That said, I was pleased they liked my stuff!
Old 08-14-2016, 12:08 AM
Mike H.

Rob those are two AMAZING Pieces you certainly have worked hard to accumulate an impressive collection that covers a broad scope...well done!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Actually, I volunteered for 10.5 hours and walked 13.5 miles while there . I was a greeter and took people to wherever they wanted to go first and then showed them where their next stop would be. It was very fun! As a volunteer, I was able to get two items appraised.

I took my Willie Mays skateboard. Grant from MBA Auctions in Seattle said $1000 and from what I've seen, that's about right (even in this condition). I recently learned these were made for one year only, only sold in CA and only sold at Macys.

My other item was this 9' wide bunting. Thanks to Dave Grob (I think), I was able to photo match it to the first Opening Day at Candlestick in 1960. Grant liked it and said $1500-2500
Old 08-14-2016, 12:13 AM

Sounds like a fun experience on 2 levels, both the volunteering and getting the items appraised. Cool Giants items, too -- I've seen the skateboard posted, but not the bunting.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:38 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:

Really nice stuff! Would love to own that Mays skateboard!

Quote:

Good for you! That would have infuriated me, thinking, because of who she is and who she works for, something like that would never happen. The shock of seeing her do that must have been something else!
Old 08-14-2016, 07:29 AM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
I also took some very rare Kruschev and Mao bobbleheads that I wanted Ted Hake to look at, but I unfortunately got some lady who damn near broke the Kruschev, she started shaking it to make the head bobble and when I say shaking it, I mean violently. I think my jaw hit the table...I snatched it back and told her not to touch it again. She told me it was worth 10 bucks. I told her she was waayyyy off and I asked for Ted Hake. He unfortunately couldn't make the trip to Omaha. I sold the Kruschev and Mao nodders for about $2,000 on the Nodder Exchange a few years later.
In retrospect that just sounds hilarious, would love to have seen the look on your face. I just picture it and can't stop smiling and laughing, hilarious!!!!....I mean of course thank the lord she didn't damage them. But shaking them "violently"......great story!
Old 08-14-2016, 07:57 AM
pete ullman

awesome...i'd love to do that!
Old 08-14-2016, 09:54 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Really nice stuff! Would love to own that Mays skateboard!
There are actually two versions. My buddy/ebay nemesis owns both, in near pristine condition
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maysboard.jpg (66.6 KB, 294 views)
Old 08-14-2016, 05:53 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
There are actually two versions. My buddy/ebay nemesis owns both, in near pristine condition

Lucky friend, but at least you get to see them, I assume?
Old 08-14-2016, 08:33 PM
Mike

Quote:

Love those skateboards Rob. Grant used to set up every year at the Pacific Northwest Show at the Tacoma Dome that I think Dennis Purdy promoted. Grant always had a really large spread of vintage gloves, bats etc. I always enjoyed going to it.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:16 PM
Barry Blumenfeld

We should make a longboard of those!