NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-07-2010, 10:14 AM

Default An eBay problem and call for advice from a quasi-neophyte

Hi all. I'm new to this board, but have been lurking a couple of weeks, absorbing the shared wisdom. I am currently in my 4th bout with the hobby since the early 70's, so often things change without my being aware of it. I have a question about a problem (my first real one) that I am having with an eBay purchase and wanted some advice (if there is a better forum, please move my post).

I recently bought, paid for and received a card that was described as a PSA-6 in the title and in the body of the listing. When I got the card, it turned out to be a PSA-6 (oc). I went back to the listing and sure enough, the picture shows the card I received, qualifier and all. Now I'll be the first to admit that I should have looked at the picture, but as the card wasn't very expensive or rare at all, I'm sure that I gave a quick glance at the listing just before it expired, read it was a PSA-6 and acted. Several mistakes, I know, but it doesn't end there - naturally, the seller doesn't take returns (I don't know if this is the norm with the "new eBay", but weren't most sales of graded cards listed as no returns a few years back?).

I contacted the seller and asked if he would accept a return in this circumstance (with me eating all shipping costs, both ways) since the (oc) qualifier wasn't mentioned anywhere in the listing, only shown in the picture. He said he didn't know what the problem was, that he talked to eBay and they said he didn't do anything wrong, that eBay said I wouldn't ultimately be able to leave negative feedback and that in spite of the fact that he generally feels the customer is right, not in this case, so no return.

Isn't this similar to listing a graded reprint without ever mentioning that it is a reprint and just relying on the fact that the holder says "reprint?" Doesn't Ebay's rule about not putting conflicting information in a listing prevent this?

Is this worth pursuing, or does the fact that the picture showed it to be a PSA-6 (oc) mean I'm stuck. It's really not that much money that I'm out, but I feel like I've been had. I've never had a problem on eBay before and now this week, I get hit with this as well as a fake 1940 Play Ball.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:20 AM
Chris

No, buyer beware. The only time that can be pursued is if the listing and/or description is false or misleading. Omission of information is not grounds for such a claim. Take it as a lesson learned....
Old 04-07-2010, 10:23 AM

That seller is full of doggy doo doo. I guarantee ebay did NOT tell him you cant leave a neg. Thats simply a bold faced lie. The seller doesnt want the card back, so he made up a story of how he talked to ebay and they said he did nothing wrong. Almost laughable!
Old 04-07-2010, 10:43 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago206 View Post
That seller is full of doggy doo doo. I guarantee ebay did NOT tell him you cant leave a neg. Thats simply a bold faced lie. The seller doesnt want the card back, so he made up a story of how he talked to ebay and they said he did nothing wrong. Almost laughable!

Agreed. Ebay did not tell him that. File a SNAD with PayPal and you will win. Period.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:26 AM

But....i'm pretty sure you can leave negative feedback, contrary to the seller's claim. So threaten to leave negative feedback unless he is willing to admit that he deceived through omission. You can read more about this in a thread here titled "auction description".
Old 04-07-2010, 10:39 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Can you provide a link to the listing please. I think that you will get better advice if this is provided.

Jeff

Last edited by ibuysportsephemera; 04-07-2010 at 10:39 AM. Reason: I can't spell.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:43 AM
Rob Miller

I just wanted to pose this question:

What is the reverse happened? The description was for a PSA 6-OC, but the picture was of a PSA 6. Then you get to the mailbox and it turns out to be a PSA 6-OC.

Is there any recourse for that?

I am not sure what could be done if anything, but I understand the gripe and I think the seller should be penalized for an incorrect title and description.

Rob

Last edited by Robextend; 04-07-2010 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:45 AM
Tony Quinn

Default Sorry,

Look before you leap. If the card pictured is the card you received, that's on you. He didn't mention the qualifier, but he sold and you bought a 6. If he has a stated no return policy (especially on graded cards) I think you will have to live and learn from this one. Don't be hasty in your purchases, better off asking questions, doing your research and losing the card than jumping the gun and making a mistake. Another one (whatever it is) will come along.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:49 AM
Rob Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnsryche View Post
If he has a stated no return policy (especially on graded cards) I think you will have to live and learn from this one.
I agree with everything you said Tony, except the above shouldn't apply to every situation. In this case what was received was different from what was described. I have seen lots of listings with pictures that don't make any sense. I always do my research like you said to prevent any issues. But I still feel like the seller should assume some responsibility because he made a mistake as well.

Last edited by Robextend; 04-07-2010 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:59 AM
Patrick N.

Default Raise Hell

I would go the "raise some hell" route. The no return policy does not apply to SNAd claims. If he did not put the o/c in the title or description then he was lying by omission--this is NOT permissable. Get your refund, file a SNAD.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:03 AM
Fr@nk Jenn!ngs

How is this any different than seeing a card graded BCCG 5? The seller states that it is a BCCG 5, provides a picture and you buy it. It arrives in your mailbox and you open it up and notice in print below the number that it says "Poor or Better". Now if the seller of the 6 (oc) didn't provide a picture, then that is a different story.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:25 AM
Jeff

You really have to check the picture carefully. Sellers will list a card as a PSA 6, then tell you it is actually a PSA 6 (OC) in the item description. This does 2 things for the seller: 1. Seller hopes buyer doesn't check picture carefully, realizing a potential higher price. 2. As long as the seller mentions the actual grade somewhere (does not have to be the title), he covers his butt.

In my experience, if you see a nice high grade card with a low bid, click and enlarge the photo. Guaranteed to be a qualifier attached that card.

Always looking for interesting pre-war baseball & hockey postcards!

Last edited by jb217676; 04-07-2010 at 10:27 AM.