NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-05-2018, 01:49 PM
Banned

Default Candiman Auctions Explained

Hey guys,

My name is Daniel and along with my brother Justin, we are the owners of Candiman Auctions. We are a new auction house and our first auction ends this Saturday, March 10th. I was informed last night that our company was being discussed on the forum. I spoke at length with Leon Luckey on the phone earlier today and asked for his advice. His advice was to start this thread.

Based on posts on this forum and other phone calls & emails I have received, I understand that people have concerns that we are associated with the eBay seller "Battlefield". We want to be upfront and honest with everyone about our association with them. We are related to the owners as I'm sure everyone on here already suspected based on our last name. I want to start out by saying that we completely disavow eBay seller "Battlefield". We do not in any way, shape, or form support their actions on eBay over the past several years. We find their actions despicable and we advised them to shut down their business because their reputation in the collecting community has been completely destroyed and no true collector would ever want to deal with them. They have consigned their remaining inventory to us and shut down their eBay operation. We were happy to take on their remaining inventory and get them out of the collecting industry for good. They actually have a lot of high quality items and if they had done things honestly, I believe they could have been successful. Not everything in our auction is their inventory. We have about 25 total consignors for this auction.

Regarding the items in our auction that we have identified as "Authentic" in the title and descriptions, we believe those cards have been altered and would likely only receive a grade of "Authentic" if submitted to any of the major grading companies. I know Battlefield was notorious for purchasing trimmed or altered cards and breaking them out of the holders and then reselling them as high grade examples on eBay. There is no excuse for that kind of activity and participating in that kind of activity is shameful. We have made every effort to identify any and all cards in our auction that appear to be trimmed or altered. If for some reason a card we haven't identified as altered is submitted for grading and comes back as such we would encourage the buyer to return the card and a full refund would be given.

We want to completely disassociate ourselves and our company from the terrible name that Battlefield has made for themselves in the collecting community. We are NOT like them. We have worked hard to provide high quality images and descriptions of all of the items in our auction. I hope you guys give us a chance and I appreciate anyone who takes the time to read this post. If you have any questions or concerns please contact me through PM or post to this thread.

Thanks,

Daniel & Justin
Old 03-05-2018, 02:16 PM
Scott Russell

Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 03-05-2018 at 02:17 PM.
Old 03-05-2018, 02:29 PM
@ndrew woo.dfin

No link to the auction?

Member since 2009
Old 03-05-2018, 03:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T205 GB View Post
No link to the auction?
Hi Andrew,

The link to the auction is candimanauctions.com/catalog.aspx

Thanks,

Daniel
Old 03-05-2018, 02:29 PM
Eric
Eric

I tend to agree with Scott's post considering where this thread may go, but the proof will be in the customer service if and when an item is deemed to be altered. Best of luck to you guys. I will be following your auctions
Old 03-05-2018, 02:31 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Candiman ......... candiman .............. candiman ..........

Aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhghhh.

Battlefield is the things nightmares are made of.
Old 03-05-2018, 02:39 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Hi Daniel
I did tell you that I thought the right thing to do was come explain the situation. And if you remember I think I also told you that it wouldn't be a walk in the park with this group. So a couple quick questions as you go down the path of vetting....

Have you ever sold anything to your mother and father, ever done any deals with them, or vice versa BESIDES the lots in your current auction? Also, through a search I found something and am curious what your middle name is? Good luck...

Last edited by Leon; 03-05-2018 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-05-2018, 02:48 PM
Scott Russell

The only point of my post was that this should be a long thread before it's done. Not a comment as to my opinions of the auction.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Old 03-05-2018, 03:09 PM
Robert Williams

I wish them luck. For the most part, Battlefield DID have nice stuff...and it was all original...no reprints. I think the problem arose when they attempted to deceive. Cracking out "A" cards and selling them as unaltered. Photoshopping. You get the point. The ironic thing is, if they would have just been honest, they probably would have been successful anyway. Without needing to cheat people.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Hi Daniel
I did tell you that I thought the right thing to do was come explain the situation. And if you remember I think I also told you that it wouldn't be a walk in the park with this group. So a couple quick questions as you go down the path of vetting....

Have you ever sold anything to your mother and father, ever done any deals with them, or vice versa BESIDES the lots in your current auction? Also, through a search I found something and am curious what your middle name is? Good luck...
Hi Leon,

I appreciate your advice and willingness to speak with me on the phone earlier today. I didn't expect it to be a walk in the park and I am completely fine with that. I have nothing to hide. My middle name is Brian. I am a collector and I have sold them some items a few times in the past (on occasions where I would buy bulk or shoebox collection lots and pulled the cards I wanted and sold them the rest). I have never had any dealings with the operation of their business.

Thanks,

Daniel
Old 03-05-2018, 03:37 PM

Hi,

My question is ... if you're so disassociated with Battlefield ... then how did you get my name to send me an email today advertising your services?

I have never dealt with you. But I did buy from Battlefield on Ebay (and my purchase was okay actually). They would have had my contact information. So the only way I can conceive of that you got my information is from someone you have disassociated yourself from.

Are you now claiming they gave you their entire inventory and all of their sales contact information?

Thanks,
Patrick
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiemonster View Post
Battlefield is the things nightmares are made of.
Hi Dustin,

I absolutely agree with you on this. They destroyed their reputation by doing things the wrong way. I am glad we are able to play a role in ending their business for good.

Daniel
Old 03-05-2018, 03:09 PM
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandimanAuctions View Post

If for some reason a card we haven't identified as altered is submitted for grading and comes back as such we would encourage the buyer to return the card and a full refund would be given.

Thanks,

Daniel & Justin
So if this is true, I think you need to change your auction terms and descriptions, otherwise it's just fluff.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsnstuff View Post
So if this is true, I think you need to change your auction terms and descriptions, otherwise it's just fluff.
Hi Tony,

I agree with you. That should be in the auction rules and I will be adding that today.

Thanks,

Daniel
Old 03-07-2018, 03:34 AM
Mike

I suggest looking at Post #44 of this War-Eagle thread. Leon provides links to 3 Mantles auctioned in REA. They were in SGC A slabs. Leon also provides 3 eBay links where War-Eagle is selling the same three years as NM. Now look at the Mantles in the Candiman Auction. Draw your own conclusions.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...ight=war_eagle
Old 03-07-2018, 10:58 AM

Default Candiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocabirdman View Post
I suggest looking at Post #44 of this War-Eagle thread. Leon provides links to 3 Mantles auctioned in REA. They were in SGC A slabs. Leon also provides 3 eBay links where War-Eagle is selling the same three years as NM. Now look at the Mantles in the Candiman Auction. Draw your own conclusions.

Could you explain this?
Old 03-07-2018, 11:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
Could you explain this?
Please see my post from earlier today.

Thanks,

Daniel
Old 03-07-2018, 11:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocabirdman View Post

Hi Mike,

We do have a 1953 Bowman Color Mickey Mantle & a 1954 Bowman Mickey Mantle card listed in our auction. BOTH are listed as altered. While they look like high grade cards, we are confident in our assessment that those 2 cards would only receive a grade of "Authentic" if submitted to any of the major grading companies. I'm not sure what your point is here. If it is that we are trying to deceive people then you are mistaken. Please click the following links to the 2 cards in our auction:

candimanauctions.com/Mickey_Mantle_1953_Bowman_Color__59___New_York_Yan-LOT30.aspx

candimanauctions.com/Mickey_Mantle_1954_Bowman__65___New_York_Yankees__-LOT36.aspx

The 2 1955 Bowman Mantle's in the auction are from a different consignor.

Thanks,

Daniel
Old 03-07-2018, 02:51 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Daniel

Hi Daniel, you haven't been attacked by everyone on this forum. There seems to be a group of 8 to 10 guys who attack many of the auction houses, they attack many of the larger eBay sellers, and seem to be negative about just about everything.

It seems like every post ends up with an long argument between David and Peter.

Welcome to Net54.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
Hi Daniel, you haven't been attacked by everyone on this forum. There seems to be a group of 8 to 10 guys who attack many of the auction houses, they attack many of the larger eBay sellers, and seem to be negative about just about everything.

It seems like every post ends up with an long argument between David and Peter.

Welcome to Net54.
Hi Rick,

I agree we haven't been attacked by everyone on the forum. There have been several nice comments on this thread. Thank you very much for being open minded and not judging us before we have even completed our first auction. And thank you for the information. I appreciate it.

Thanks,

Daniel
Old 03-10-2018, 09:34 AM
Bob McLean

I've been a card dealer for 30 years, buying and selling. I have seen about every possible scam and scheme there is out there. My experience tells me that if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck it is most likely a duck. I don't deal with ducks.

One of my friends in the card business was a magnet for these scams, counterfeits, fake autographs, etc. He fell for it all. Internet scams didn't stop him from buying the standard counterfeit fare; 52 Mantles, 33 Goudey Ruth's, Gretzky, Jordan, he bought it all. He refunded many people who bought his bad buys. He had a good job in his real life, but couldn't maintain his side job as a card dealer. Just too big a drain. Eventually I bought his inventory because it was cheap enough and had some real cards of value and a ton of supplies. I burned the few remaining counterfeits and Ripken, Jeter, A-Rod bats.

Don't be like my friend, stay away from get something for cheap schemes.

I think this might be a mallard auction.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:51 AM
Ben North

I am hoping my bids on 37 cards hold up for another 9 1/2 hours.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:27 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

I'll report on my experience with Candiman Auctions. The first time I heard of the auction was when I read this thread. So of course I had to go take a look at the items and found several low-mid grade 1933 Goudey "Indian Gum" (non-sports) cards that I needed. The single cards I was interested in had a $5 opening bid with no bids yet placed. So I entered my max bid $5 on fourteen lots, and ended up winning 13 lots for the opening bid $5. I also bid on lot #231 a group of 19 "Indian Gum" cards, and had the winning bid for awhile $40, but was outbid.
No back scans were provided for any of these cards, and I didn't request any from Candiman. The front scans provided for the auction matched the cards I received exactly. In hand, the backs of the cards are quite nice, although one card described as VG-EX with a light crease had a small spot of paper loss on the back. I would expect worse looking cards for what I paid for these.

So my total was 13 lots won at $5 each $65 add $13 buyers premium and $10 shipping.

I was invoiced on Sunday March 11th, I paid via CC on Monday March 12, got my tracking number from Candiman Friday March 16, and my cards arrived today Monday March 19.

I am happy with my purchase, and glad to add these to my in progress set. These are really nice cards that I got. Without back scans I was expecting worse, of course I was only bidding $5 a card.

Larry Tipton
Old 03-19-2018, 05:10 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Nothing so far

Hi Larry, I am glad that you received your cards. Like you, I received my invoice on Sunday the 11th. I paid with CC on Monday the 12th. So far I haven't received a tracking number. I sent them an email this morning but I haven't received a response.

I won 13 low cost lots, for $152, with a BP of around $30, and shipping of $12.00. The shipping charge isn't bad for 162 raw cards, although they would have easily fit in a Priority padded envelope for around $6.50.

Rick

Old 03-20-2018, 03:04 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Update

I received a response to my email last night at 9:13 with a Fed Ex tracking number showing that my cards were shipped yesterday.

Rick

Old 03-20-2018, 04:56 AM
Ro.b Gui.1fo.y1e

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLarry View Post
I'll report on my experience with Candiman Auctions. The first time I heard of the auction was when I read this thread. So of course I had to go take a look at the items and found several low-mid grade 1933 Goudey "Indian Gum" (non-sports) cards that I needed. The single cards I was interested in had a $5 opening bid with no bids yet placed. So I entered my max bid $5 on fourteen lots, and ended up winning 13 lots for the opening bid $5. I also bid on lot #231 a group of 19 "Indian Gum" cards, and had the winning bid for awhile $40, but was outbid.

No back scans were provided for any of these cards, and I didn't request any from Candiman. The front scans provided for the auction matched the cards I received exactly. In hand, the backs of the cards are quite nice, although one card described as VG-EX with a light crease had a small spot of paper loss on the back. I would expect worse looking cards for what I paid for these.

So my total was 13 lots won at $5 each $65 add $13 buyers premium and $10 shipping.

I was invoiced on Sunday March 11th, I paid via CC on Monday March 12, got my tracking number from Candiman Friday March 16, and my cards arrived today Monday March 19.

I am happy with my purchase, and glad to add these to my in progress set. These are really nice cards that I got. Without back scans I was expecting worse, of course I was only bidding $5 a card.

Larry Tipton

Glad to hear you had a successful win at the Candiman Auctions Larry.

Best of luck to everyone else who won some auctions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2018, 01:28 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

What a thread. Intrigue, insults, empathy, religious intolerance etc. From someone who walked through the Battlefields/War Eagle mine field auctions several times, I am happy to relate a couple of my experiences. I won and received one card that was photo shopped, a '55 Bowman Eddie Mathews described as nrmt. Well, it had a large blob of paper affixed and quite rightly received a PSA 1. I wanted to return it but no response from Carol. Another: When Leon outed the REA high grade "A" Mantles, which were subsequently offered up at nrmt etc., one was a '55 Bowman. I had purchased earlier the same issue which was subtly different than the REA one. It had been advertised as nrmt. PSA deemed it a vg 3. There must have been a hidden flaw I couldn't discover because it is a fine looking specimen Both these cards are currently in the current LOTG auction. And finally Carol offered up a batch of T206's some time back and went to great lengths in the description to contend they all measured right and would grade. All imperfections were detailed and clearly shown in the scans. I took a chance and won the Elberfield Washington and thank God it came back a PSA 6.5 and did well at auction, so I made some money. That only shows that not all their cards were misrepresented, as others have stated. Perhaps the sons are trying to atone for the sins of their parents and if that is the case, then good on them. The proof in the pudding will be when one of their high profile cards, such as the Red Heart Mantle, goes under the knife at a TPG. I say Candiman at least deserves a chance.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:14 PM
Cha.rles He.nry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
What a thread. Intrigue, insults, empathy, religious intolerance etc. From someone who walked through the Battlefields/War Eagle mine field auctions several times, I am happy to relate a couple of my experiences. I won and received one card that was photo shopped, a '55 Bowman Eddie Mathews described as nrmt. Well, it had a large blob of paper affixed and quite rightly received a PSA 1. I wanted to return it but no response from Carol. Another: When Leon outed the REA high grade "A" Mantles, which were subsequently offered up at nrmt etc., one was a '55 Bowman. I had purchased earlier the same issue which was subtly different than the REA one. It had been advertised as nrmt. PSA deemed it a vg 3. There must have been a hidden flaw I couldn't discover because it is a fine looking specimen Both these cards are currently in the current LOTG auction. And finally Carol offered up a batch of T206's some time back and went to great lengths in the description to contend they all measured right and would grade. All imperfections were detailed and clearly shown in the scans. I took a chance and won the Elberfield Washington and thank God it came back a PSA 6.5 and did well at auction, so I made some money. That only shows that not all their cards were misrepresented, as others have stated. Perhaps the sons are trying to atone for the sins of their parents and if that is the case, then good on them. The proof in the pudding will be when one of their high profile cards, such as the Red Heart Mantle, goes under the knife at a TPG. I say Candiman at least deserves a chance.
Great Post. I also think they deserve a chance and hope everyone is happy with their wins.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:15 PM
Peter Spaeth

I see no religious intolerance, John, only an objection to invoking one's faith as a reason to trust them.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:29 PM
Ro.b Gui.1fo.y1e

Thanks to all who are sharing their experiences with Candiman Auctions. I am glad to hear those who won their auctions are satisfied with the cards they received.

I did not participate as I am focused on completing a 1972 Topps BB set which I am a few cards from completing.

With that said, I will look to participate in future Candiman auctions.

Kudos to those who gave them a chance.

Congrats!

Old 03-22-2018, 04:06 PM
Dav1d Sh1p$ey

Look out, look out the Candyman, Here he comes and he's gone again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvbHdlplEvw
Old 03-22-2018, 04:42 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Please post TPG results when they come back

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 03-22-2018, 05:14 PM

Default The candiman can...

I am with Ted. Looking forward to seeing those near mint cards in holders.

Until then I am not convinced these two jokers are totally out to make their business great again....

Toby Petersen

Last edited by bigfish; 03-22-2018 at 05:31 PM.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:17 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
I am with Ted. Looking forward to seeing those near mint cards in holders.

Until then I am not convinced these two jokers are totally out to make their business great again....
So far we only have updates from people who do not care if their cards are graded correctly or they won items that were worth a few bucks each. Nobody here has admitted to having bought one of Candiman's higher dollar cards.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:40 PM
Ro.b Gui.1fo.y1e

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipk1068 View Post
Look out, look out the Candyman, Here he comes and he's gone again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvbHdlplEvw

Very nice SlipK1068. BIG fan

Old 03-22-2018, 08:41 PM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

Default Candiman Update

I placed some bids on cards I felt comfortable with. Overall, I still don't feel real comfortable with them, but I can't bash the cards themselves. But I didn't buy any high dollar NM cards either. I felt kind of dirty bidding and winning cards from them and still do. Maybe that's fair or not, but it's reality.

1. I paid quickly on Sunday when I got my invoice. Didn't hear anything back from them and there was no update in status in the My Account Section. I emailed Tuesday evening asking for an expected ship date and if their website would update with tracking info. Got crickets. Emailed again on Friday and they replied stating they would send me tracking info the next day. They sent the tracking info, but didn't tell me it was FedEx so all weekend I kept wondering if I got a bogus tracking #. Monday night I got an email from FedEx stating the expected delivery. Would have liked to see a little quicker communication even if just an expected ship date or more timely updates on their site.
2. Cards were packed okay with one exception. I won 8 individual cards + 1 20 card low/mid grade lot of 1955 Topps commons, so 28 cards total. Cards packed in a oversized box with lots of peanuts. Inside was a smaller box with the cards. Individual cards were in either Card Saver I's or top loaders. Graded Cards (3) in a team bag together. The 20 1955's were in a plastic baggie with no other protection. Wasn't a fan of that, but they were packed in the box tightly so I doubt there was any damage. Hell they were lower grade, I wouldn't know anyway.
3. The only "expensive" card I won was a 1953 Topps Satchel Paige VGEX. I could pretty much tell it wasn't VGEX from the pic and bid accordingly. I checked and it measured correctly. I figure it will grade a PSA 2 - PSA 3. I can make a few bucks if it grades a 2, and do okay if it gets a 3. But there is no way in hell it will see a 4. Pic attached. Note the back was fine and similar to the front.
4. The other cards I got were:
- A beater '54 Bowman Pee Wee Reese which I picked up for $5 for a friend.
- 1972 Pete Rose NMMT (I'll have it graded). Card looks nice, but I expect a 7.
- 1984 Fleer Don Mattingly - Mint+ - I grew up a big Mattingly fan so I took a flyer. It's a sharp card, so I could see a nice 8 or 9. I'll send it to PSA, but it's a PC card for sure.
- 1985 Mark McGwire - 1 raw NMMT+ - again, nice card. I could see anything from a 7-9.
Bought 3 low dollar graded cards as well.
So overall, I can't say they did a bad job, but I think they still have a long way to go to win over someone like me who was and is still very skeptical. I know they were busy preparing a lot of orders to ship, but they were also taking the time to buy a lot of cards at the same time. So expect more raw cards in their next auction. More to come on that...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1953 Topps Satchel Paige.jpg (77.4 KB, 746 views)
Old 03-22-2018, 08:48 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

The Paige has decent eye appeal. I would guess a 2.5 or 3.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:30 PM
Ro.b Gui.1fo.y1e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenx34 View Post
I placed some bids on cards I felt comfortable with. Overall, I still don't feel real comfortable with them, but I can't bash the cards themselves. But I didn't buy any high dollar NM cards either. I felt kind of dirty bidding and winning cards from them and still do. Maybe that's fair or not, but it's reality.

1. I paid quickly on Sunday when I got my invoice. Didn't hear anything back from them and there was no update in status in the My Account Section. I emailed Tuesday evening asking for an expected ship date and if their website would update with tracking info. Got crickets. Emailed again on Friday and they replied stating they would send me tracking info the next day. They sent the tracking info, but didn't tell me it was FedEx so all weekend I kept wondering if I got a bogus tracking #. Monday night I got an email from FedEx stating the expected delivery. Would have liked to see a little quicker communication even if just an expected ship date or more timely updates on their site.

2. Cards were packed okay with one exception. I won 8 individual cards + 1 20 card low/mid grade lot of 1955 Topps commons, so 28 cards total. Cards packed in a oversized box with lots of peanuts. Inside was a smaller box with the cards. Individual cards were in either Card Saver I's or top loaders. Graded Cards (3) in a team bag together. The 20 1955's were in a plastic baggie with no other protection. Wasn't a fan of that, but they were packed in the box tightly so I doubt there was any damage. Hell they were lower grade, I wouldn't know anyway.

3. The only "expensive" card I won was a 1953 Topps Satchel Paige VGEX. I could pretty much tell it wasn't VGEX from the pic and bid accordingly. I checked and it measured correctly. I figure it will grade a PSA 2 - PSA 3. I can make a few bucks if it grades a 2, and do okay if it gets a 3. But there is no way in hell it will see a 4. Pic attached. Note the back was fine and similar to the front.

4. The other cards I got were:

- A beater '54 Bowman Pee Wee Reese which I picked up for $5 for a friend.

- 1972 Pete Rose NMMT (I'll have it graded). Card looks nice, but I expect a 7.

- 1984 Fleer Don Mattingly - Mint+ - I grew up a big Mattingly fan so I took a flyer. It's a sharp card, so I could see a nice 8 or 9. I'll send it to PSA, but it's a PC card for sure.

- 1985 Mark McGwire - 1 raw NMMT+ - again, nice card. I could see anything from a 7-9.

Bought 3 low dollar graded cards as well.

So overall, I can't say they did a bad job, but I think they still have a long way to go to win over someone like me who was and is still very skeptical. I know they were busy preparing a lot of orders to ship, but they were also taking the time to buy a lot of cards at the same time. So expect more raw cards in their next auction. More to come on that...

How do you know they were buying a lot of raw cards?

Old 03-28-2018, 06:40 AM
Ed
Ed DeS.erio

Agree with Peter. 2.5 and not more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2018, 02:14 PM
Peter Spaeth

I had hoped there would be more feedback on the cards, particularly the higher end ones. I don't feel that at this point, I know any more than I did before the auction.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:16 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I had hoped there would be more feedback on the cards, particularly the higher end ones. I don't feel that at this point, I know any more than I did before the auction.
Personally, I chose to stay away from the NM/MT specimens. I am curious as well though, but I'm sure people won't know until they come back from PSA. In 4-5 months, I expect results to come trickling in.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:18 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Personally, I chose to stay away from the NM/MT specimens. I am curious as well though, but I'm sure people won't know until they come back from PSA. In 4-5 months, I expect results to come trickling in.
I am sure many if not most guys here can detect an obvious flaw that wasn't apparent from the scan, without needing PSA to tell them about it. I might not be able to detect expert microtrimming, but I could certainly tell if corners had more wear than the scan and grade suggested, or if there were wrinkles or stains, etc. etc.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 03-28-2018 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:27 PM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
The only NMMT cards I won were a 1972 Pete Rose, 1984 Fleer Don Mattingly and 1985 Topps McGwire. I'd be surprised if any grades less than a 7, so I would have to give them a pass there, but those are low dollar "newer" cards.

I'll be submitting those 3 and the '53 Paige early in April. So we'll know by maybe late July?
Old 03-28-2018, 03:14 PM
Scott Russell

Like a lot of others I only bid on lower end stuff. I won most of the Berk Ross cards.

Old 03-28-2018, 02:19 PM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Peter, I think you're right. I gave the feedback I could, but I didn't delve into any of the higher end stuff. I did make a roughly $300 bid for one of the 1960 raw Mantle's but got outbid late. My only purchase where there could be good feedback is on that '53 Satchell Paige, but even that is limited. I participated, but still don't feel comfortable jumping in with both feet with them.

I'll wait until April 7 and see what they are offering in their next auction and I may have some good info for you on the cards they may offer. I have some info but I would rather wait to see what cards they post and how they list them before going deeper.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:50 PM
Ed
Ed DeS.erio

Really? I thought he was good sending out to people. I got mine no problem