NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-16-2006, 04:05 PM
Administrator

Default 1915 Cracker Jack Tom Downey card - real or reprint?

Posted By: neil b. downey

Hi Guys, I recently came across a raw 1915 Cracker Jack Tom Downey card. I need one for my Downey set. After winning it on Ebay, I got the feeling that it might be a reprint (judging by the price that I paid). The auction didn't say it was a reprint but it just went for too low a price. If anyone can give me some insight on this card, it would be very helpful. Thanks, Neil

Old 12-16-2006, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Prizner

reprint - sorry!

The name/team lettering is way too bold.

Old 12-16-2006, 05:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Griffin's

A real one, for comparison

Old 12-16-2006, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

Obvious reprint, and all the easy ways to tell will be how they designed these reprints. When designing them they cropped photo and then added a new border and caption.

The "Cracker Jack" at top is too close to the border (photo cropped in designing of reprint), the uniform doesnt blend into the border (cropped photo then a new too white border added when reprint was designed), the caption is too bold (didnt quite get the caption right when they needed to design a new one after cropping the photo and adding a new border in design).

Also there are other ways to tell such as the back not being upside down and the surface will be too smooth and have a gloss or waxy look, and the card stock will be different and of higher quality on the reprints.

Once you know where to look these reprints are easy to spot.

Try to get your $$ back if you can. About 10%-20% of all E145-2 cards on ebay are doctored reprints.

Old 12-16-2006, 07:21 PM
Administrator

Thanks guys for your time. I will start the refund process but I have a feeling that I will be cheated. Live and learn I guess. Neil

Old 12-16-2006, 09:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Shanon

I refrain from even bidding on raw Cracker Jacks on ebay except from reputable dealers. I have approximatly 30 1914' CJ but have learned the hard way. If I am at a show and see one it almost always is a reprint. I am not saying some dealers are purposly misleading I just don't think some take time to do the correct research on these cards. If you can look at one in person take it out of the holder and check your paper stock, all CJ were printed on very thin stock. Hope this helps.

Old 12-16-2006, 09:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

That CJ card of Downey is a reprint. Definitely, for reasons stated above.

And amen for holding them in your hand. 1914s are on paper. 1915s are on thicker paper, but very thin by later standards. You can feel the difference between the two, forget about which side is up on the back. But it is difficult to feel the difference if the card is in some no name slab. I've bought raw CJs on eBay, but it is precarious at best. Even PSA can get them right, but they get to hold the card before they slab it.

Old 12-19-2006, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Hi Guys, I just got the card in. Here is a scan of the back. It doesn't say that it is a reprint so how could I tell from the back? Neil

Old 12-19-2006, 09:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Prizner

it should be upside-down compared to the front of the card.

the color looks off on that re-print too, like it was artificially toned. Here's a real one...

Old 12-19-2006, 09:46 AM
Administrator

You guys are the best! Thanks for your help and knowledge. Neil