NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-29-2008, 11:06 AM
Administrator

Default Can anyone confirm the existance of the w590 Spencer?

Posted By: Brian McQueen

I'd love to see a scan but would appreciate hearing from anyone who has seen, heard of or better yet, owned this card. Thanks in advance for the replies...

Brian
redmaccie@hotmail.com

Old 12-12-2008, 02:14 PM
Administrator

I know...digging up old threads is a no-no, but I've never been able to determine if this card really does exist. If anyone's ever heard of or seen one, I'd love to hear from you just so I know I'm not completely chasing a phantom card here. Thanks guys!

Old 12-12-2008, 02:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

W590's are not that common, would need to find a set collector. Dan

Old 12-12-2008, 02:31 PM
Administrator

I haven't been able to come across anyone who collects this set other than myself. Andy Cook used to, but aside from him, I haven't ever heard from anyone else on Net 54 who collects or has much knowledge regarding this set. PSA's and SGC's websites don't tell me much either unfortunately. No w590 sets (complete, incomplete or otherwise) have been registered on either site and no Spencers have ever been graded by SGC. In fact, they've only slabbed 19 w590s total. Not sure about PSA's numbers since I don't have a membership with them but I'm not holding my breath. happy.gif

Old 12-12-2008, 02:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim VB

Brian,

I'll send you an email with some details, but PSA has only graded 34 total cards from W590, and no Spencers.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

I have a few old timers I can check with
dan

Old 12-13-2008, 08:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Klein

I think bringing up an old thread with an update is perfectly appropriate. Brian is asking for verification of a card and thus is reminding everyone he is still looking for that card

Regards
Rich

Old 12-13-2008, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Lemke

Since I originally compiled and maintained the checklist for W590 in the Standard Catalog, I'd guess the Roy Spencer does exist. On checklists for "incomplete" sets like that, additions were (usually) only made upon visual confirmation of an example. After all these years, and without access to the old files that may or may not have survived my departure, I couldn't swear I ever saw an example, but my cataloging methodology at the time suggests I did.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:05 PM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

Yep. Just about a year has gone by and I figured I'd ask again. Thank you to all those who responded previously and thank you in advance to any one who might be able to "look into it" for me

Brian
redmaccie@hotmail.com
Old 05-30-2013, 09:18 PM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

About 3 years have gone by since I last bumped this thread, figured I'd check back just in case someone may have seen this card. I'm still just hoping someone on the board can at least confirm seeing the card at one point. A bit of quick research on my part this evening reveals the following -

From PSA...2 collectors have sets Registered on the site. Each is less than 1/3rd of the way complete. Neither have the Spencer. There are no Spencers included in the Pop Report.

From SGC ... No collectors have sets Registered. No Spencers in the Pop Report.

Google Search...nothing. VCP.com...nothing. Google Images has never, ever failed me when I've searched for a picture of a particular card....until now

Again, sorry for bumping a very old thread. I've had the base w590 set complete (ungraded) minus the Spencer for about 5-6 years now. Bob's post previously (thanks Bob!) gives me hope that I'm not chasing a ghost at least. However, since this is the one card standing in my way of completion, it would really be nice if someone could at least confirm having definitely seen it.

On a seperate note, is anyone on Net 54 actively pursuing the set?

Thanks for bearing with me...

Last edited by shammus; 05-30-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:03 PM
Rob

Default W590

Here is a 10 card uncut strip on ebay...

www.ebay.com/itm/150946153983

From Bob Lemke's 2006 SCD catalog, I count 57 different cards, but only 40 different players. I assume that there were four 10 card strips to account for the 40 players. Roy Spencer is included in the checklist, if he were left out then that would leave an odd 39 number.

My guess is it is out there. Good luck.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:41 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I think Dan McKee and myself are working on this set. I've never seen a Spencer, however. I don't think that because the set was issued in 10 card strips means that there are 40 players since the set was issued over a period of years, and there were team and position variations for many of the players. So some players could have been swapped out and others kept in the 10 card strips.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:49 PM
Rob

Gary,

My thoughts are that the 40 player images remained the same and only the captions were updated over the years. I have not collected the set, so I don't know if there are only 40 different photos. If there are more than 40 different photos, then there could be other missing examples.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:03 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

If you look at this thread here: Link, there were boxers and other sports figures mixed in with baseball players in the strips, so there weren't always guaranteed to be 10 card strips of baseball players.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:17 AM
Rob

Default W590

Thanks for the link, Gary. From reading FrankW's post I'm starting to think the checklist is a sort of hybrid of different sets. The boxing cards look completely different to me. All the different captions are confusing. Looks fun and inexpensive to collect. Looks like I have another new card project.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:18 AM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

Is it just me or are those w590 uncut strip cards always of the same 10 players? Is there one that exists that doesn't go Grimm, carey, caveney, burns, Alexander, Jackson, Bancroft, Harris, Frisch and speaker from left to right?

Also for that one sheet that has the five ball players at the bottom, it matches the right half of all the other uncut strips I've seen as well.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:07 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I think the players on the strips changed. If you look at the uncut strip that Leon has, George Burns is the 4th player on that strip from the left, and it is an action shot where he is listed as an outfielder for the Philadelphia. However, in the attached picture (not mine), it is a portrait picture for George Burns, and he is listed as the 1B for Cleveland. Moreover, note the #10 to the left of the picture. This means that this card is the first card in this strip, while in the previous strip, George Burns was the 4th card. Therefore, at the very least, the players have changed locations in the strips.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg w590_burns_1b.jpg (77.3 KB, 56 views)