NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-14-2007, 04:05 PM
Administrator

Default George's last post ever....or "The Imaginary Collection"

Posted By: George Dreher

Goodbye everyone......have fun collecting and have a great life!

Old 04-14-2007, 04:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

George,

You've been a great contributor, don't just ride off into the sunset. Tell us the guy who ------- you off and we'll make him stand in the corner.

Peter

Old 04-14-2007, 04:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: RC

George,

I don't know which "idiot" attacked you, I don't always follow every topic, but
I do know that sometimes it is better to be thick-skinned and ignore those individuals.

I have coached high school varsity sports for 25+ years and it seems that there are always
people who know how to do things better and don't mind being overly critical of others.

With that said, it is totally your choice whether to stay a part of this forum or not.
I have read your comments and while I have only been here a short time, it doesn't take
long to figure out which people really know what they are talking about and I counted
you as one.

Wishing you the best and if you decide to come back I believe you will be welcomed.
Most here are informative and entertaining. I have really enjoyed most topics.

Regards, RC

Old 04-14-2007, 04:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

George,

I don't follow every thread, so I missed the drama about you being attacked and am not sure what distant photos of randomly filled duffel bags prove (I'm guessing it's intending as some kind of knockout parting shot?) but I do love seeing the Ozzy album on the wall. Anyway, enjoy the sunset of obscurity.

-Ryan

Old 04-14-2007, 04:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Ryan, shows what the hell you know -- you missed the Charles Bronson photo on the left. That rocks.

Old 04-14-2007, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I'm wondering if the photo of the flag raising on Iwo Jima is autographed by the three survivors and what the ticket stub is that seems to be in with the picture???

Looks like a lot of cool stuff on the walls - not to mention on the bed.

Old 04-14-2007, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Hey George- I second the others. Who said what to you that causes you to leave? You are a good poster and in a short time became a part of the community.

How about just take off a long weekend and we'll see you back here on Tuesday? Everyone needs to take a short break once in awhile.

Old 04-14-2007, 05:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhys

Ryan

Thats not just any Ozzy album, thats Blizzard of Oz my friend! Quite possibly the most significant album of the 1980's to a Heavy Metal Fan. George has good taste in more than cards it appears. I think the point of the pictures was to show up what we will be missing. It is like breaking up with a girl and then having her send you some sexy pictures of herself to think about what you could be doing, or not doing out of spite. Hopefully George does not consider this a breakup!

Old 04-14-2007, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al S

Hi George, Being a newcomer here I really think you should reconsider. Dont let One fool spoil what you seem to enjoy. COLLECTING!! Looks to me like you have a great collection ! Dont keep us guessing whats in those other bags and on some of the other walls! Remember what they taught you in school. If you ignore them they will go away! The whole point of a board is to exchange thoughts and stories about cards,pins,balls,etc etc. Dont let your emotions carry you away from the forum.OR TELL US WHO HE IS AND WE WILL BEAT HIM TO DEATH WITH THE FAKE 350 SUBJECT WAGNER!!! We want more pics@@@@@@ Al

Old 04-14-2007, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

Who cares about Charles Bronson....I'll take Jane Russell right beside him any day. I know PSA would give me a 10 on her. Gem Mint. (gem mint, what a stupid grade. Kind like 110%. Better than perfect. yeah right)

Old 04-14-2007, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Two thoughts on this thread:

"George is getting angry."

"These pretzels are making me thirsty."

Old 04-14-2007, 05:24 PM
Administrator

THAT WAS A GREAT LINE the other day on the pretzels!!!
Remember George HUMOR!!

Old 04-14-2007, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Mc

????

Old 04-14-2007, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Guys,

By the "Imaginary Collection" I assume that somebody didn't believe he really had a collection and got him mad in a post.

I hope that we can get beyond petty jealousies on this board. We're all just having fun on this board, let's not take all of this cardboard too seriously.

Peter

Old 04-14-2007, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave S

Whoa, I feel as if I turned on a soap opera on Friday after missing Mon-Thurs, obviously missed some fireworks somewhere. Can only say...thanks for sharing the wall pictures and your cards, incredible stuff

Old 04-14-2007, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brad

George,

That's totally up to you if you don't post here again, but your reason is kinda weak! Don't get me wrong, every bored member has been piss off from time to time watching or reading humorous, attacks, arguments , rude remarks, cleaver statements . Think of it this way your not losing any Money! It's all fun and mind games!

If the forum didn't have some bad elements with in, it would be a very boring place. That said the forum is the best place to obtain VBC knowledge in a short period of time!
The forum is Good' for the most part, so it out ways the bad elements buy far!

Old 04-14-2007, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dstudeba

I usually don't post on messages like this, but this post has happened before and unfortunately will probably happen again. Many heavy contributers have decided for one reason or another to leave. The board has survived those departures, so it will definitely survive this. Some people have had differences with the way the board was going and left, others for other reasons. Some posted these differences, others didn't. However this "someone said I don't have the great collection I claim to have so I am going home" sounds very childish.

And though you think that you have proven something showing us those pictures, all you have done is show that you have some nice cards and some less common T206 backs. You have shown us nothing remotely close to 100K.

Sadly you only reinforced the belief of your antogonist in many people's minds.

Old 04-14-2007, 06:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob Dewolf

because he surely can do it himself, but I think the following comment is what he's referring to, posted by wonkaticket:

Nah no invite George.

I just assumed a guy with your knowledge and caliber collection would have better things to do than make lame inbreeding jokes at some girls expense.

Who knows George perhaps you did get an invite…maybe it’s just in a screw down at the bank…

It's all in the latest "Jesika" thread.

Old 04-14-2007, 06:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

I must admit, George, that this board does tend to have a bit of a
pendulum swing to it.
'It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,
it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness,
it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was
the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the
spring of hope, it was the winter of despair,
we had everything before us, we had nothing before us....

I have found that the heavier weight in the balance continues to
be the informative, positive swing of the pendulum.
I would suggest that you remain with us and enjoy the positivity
of the heavier weight and rest abit when the heavier weight tends toward
'foolishness'.
It works.

all the best,

Barry

Old 04-14-2007, 06:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve f

It's not real, but a tv show. When you encounter folks that can get away with it, some are going to act up. Try another channel for a while.

Old 04-14-2007, 06:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

George - I'm sorry to see you leave. You were a great asset to this board. Take care. Alan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHXpnZi9Hzs

Old 04-14-2007, 06:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

I was going to sleep on this but the more I thought about it the more I thought now is the time.

I'm not going to say that the poster doesn't have the collection he claims.

With that said I do find it difficult to believe that someone with such an extensive collection can fly under the radar for so long.

The collection that the poster has described, i.e. some 6000 plus T206's and approximately 2000 19th Century cards just seemed to most of us to be too good to be true.

I think it was "fair comment" to question such claims. I don't think anyone was over the top in questioning such claims.

What has troubled me from the beginning is his unwillingness to provide an email link to allow someone to discuss concerns with him off the board and his admitting that the name he uses is not his real name.

All of you who have responded on this thread with statements of support for "George" are certainly entitled to your opinion. But for me if his reaction to the comments made is to pick up his ball and go home, so be it.

Old 04-14-2007, 06:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Adam J. Baxter

First of all George, let me say that I'm sorry to hear that you've decided not to post anymore. I'm not going to pass judgement on your reasons for deciding to leave. If you feel that you are being disrespected here, then you have to do what's best for you. I hope that if you do decide to take a break, at some point you'll change your mind and return.

I'm very surprised at how quickly board members are to "blow off" someone when they say they are going to leave the forum. When a collector leaves the hobby they take away alot that the rest of us benefit from, such as experience and knowledge. If the consensus of many on this forum is "good riddance" or "we'll survive" then so be it, but I can't help feeling that it's the rest of us who lose out and not just the one who's walking away.

Call me old school, I guess.

Old 04-14-2007, 06:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd Schultz

"I was going to sleep on this but the more I thought about it the more I thought now is the time.

I'm not going to say that the poster doesn't have the collection he claims.

With that said I do find it difficult to believe that someone with such an extensive collection can fly under the radar for so long.

The collection that the poster has described, i.e. some 6000 plus T206's and approximately 2000 19th Century cards just seemed to most of us to be too good to be true.

I think it was "fair comment" to question such claims. I don't think anyone was over the top in questioning such claims.

What has troubled me from the beginning is his unwillingness to provide an email link to allow someone to discuss concerns with him off the board and his admitting that the name he uses is not his real name.

All of you who have responded on this thread with statements of support for "George" are certainly entitled to your opinion. But for me if his reaction to the comments made is to pick up his ball and go home, so be it."

DITTO.

Old 04-14-2007, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Evanov

Hmm...not impressed by a stack topped by a PSA 4 1933 Goudey Gus Mancuso, the backs of a bunch of faceless T206ers in who knows what condition and a bag of ungraded football and basketball cards. And impressing us was certainly was the goal of his post.

George says George is leaving now.

Leon, are You Going to Do Anything to Keep this Leading Card Collector Here?

Frank

Old 04-14-2007, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

"George" who?

Old 04-14-2007, 07:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

I don't understand the animosity on either side of the ball here...

Boxes are far better for storing and transporting stacks of cards, the cards aren't allowed to face forward (very Blair With Project), who really cares if George has the collection he says he does, and if he bought everything he says he bought since the first of the year, perhaps he is making up for lost time or simply continuing his already established torrid pace of accummulating cards...

regardless, these "This is the Last time I'm posting" threads grow tiresome and we should see them for exactly what they are: a cry for attention, much like my pitiful attempts at humor within somewhat regular irrelevant posts about small pieces of cardboard with pictures of baseball players on them.

I need another beer...

PS - George, stick around, throw your cards up on the New Pickup threads to share, grow that skin a little thicker so you can shrug off the jealous meanies, and let us know your thoughts on cards from time to time.

Old 04-14-2007, 07:49 PM
Administrator

Unfortunately, the only card I can get a good look at is the Ken Houston. I'm just curious why put cards in a safety deposit box at the bank (excluding a Wagner or similar)? If you can afford to buy $100k in cards in a few month span, why not buy a nice safe so you can enjoy your collection at your home. If I couldn't show my vintage cards to my friends and family periodically, I wouldn't collect and would simply sock my extra cash in mutual funds. To each their own.

Old 04-14-2007, 07:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

For many reasons, even folks with 1200lb safes, in hidden rooms in their houses, with monitored alarms, still put their cards, or their expensive ones, in safety deposit boxes. Call it "peace of mind". The bank I have mine at is made from steel beams. I saw it being built. God forbid a fire hit my house my plastic would melt ..

Old 04-14-2007, 08:18 PM
Administrator

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. I suppose I've watched Ocean's Eleven a few too many times.

Old 04-14-2007, 08:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

Barry made the best observation regarding having a safe in the house:

"What are you going to do when that burgler has a gun to your head and says open it up?"

I'd feel better with the valuable cards being at the bank.

Old 04-14-2007, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: E, Daniel

The sharpie arrow is RIDICULOUS.
I recommend staying, and don't feel like you need to be the one of the big kids on the block, not straight away anyway. If you have great cards, best to leak them out in response to the odd post looking for help with a particular issue. Others will be taking note and will do all the feather preening for you.

I know, I've had my feelings bruised aplenty on this board, but where else am I going to go and find bright people talking about stuff I find engrossing? You'll have to earn them but friendships and camaraderie are here to be had.

So try us again and play a little harder to get, second bite may be more appetizing.

Daniel

Edited for gross spelling of appetizing.
And a second time for spelling camaraderie. I think I'm developing Alzheimers or illiteracy..

Old 04-14-2007, 08:36 PM
Administrator

George My Popcorn Bowl Is Starting To Run Low. Show Us A Sign ( More Pics) That Your Still With Us. Here I will Use My Arrow -----> Best I could do on short notice!!

Old 04-14-2007, 09:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kyle

I don't know George, hadn't seen him post much, but I do have two questions:

1. Why is there a sharpie covering the grading label on this card? No major company use white backed labels... anyone know what that is?

2. The card underneath it is a 1989 Donruss card... Randy Johnson, Griffey, or Gregg Jeffries?

Hope you don't leave George... there's really no reason to.

Old 04-14-2007, 09:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Wesley

Sorry to see you go George.

Thank you for showing us photos of your ten million dollar baseball card and photo collection. The Ken Houston card is a blazer.

Old 04-14-2007, 09:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: brian

it looks like there are signatures on the wall stuff but I dont see how you're able to make out who the people are in the photos. Its too blurry. There is a McQuillen (sp?) card and an Allen & Ginter wrestler in the bag, the back of a 39 Playball under the Houston card and what looks like a Honus Wagner!? in front of that sloppy black arrow. You should have a game where whoever guesses the most right answers wins an old baseball card.

Old 04-14-2007, 09:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

People on both sides of this issue have a LOT of time on their hands.

Old 04-14-2007, 10:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

Not all of the white flips have been banished quite yet.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Old 04-14-2007, 10:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John

Wow this is the last time I go out on a Friday night. Leon anyway to have updates sent to my blackberry??

First off let me say I must be the idiot George is referring too. That’s fine, for the record I’m not the only “idiot” who questioned the scope of this collection so openly brought up over the past few months. Many other “idiots” both on here and in emails to me have also questioned it. I guess since I was the only who continued to question it I’m the S.O.B. That’s fine too.

For those of you who think I was out of line in questioning this collection and are going to make me stand in a corner, lets review this for one second.

George claims to have 40,000 pre-war baseball cards; of which 1,300 are 19th and 6,000+ are T206 and now 100 T3’s. He has 60,000 if you count some non-sports he says. Lionel Carter a well-known hobby giant only had about 50,000 cards of which better than half were post war I would assume.

40,000 pre-war cards, c’mon if you took every set known and had dupes you still would be shy how many pre-war cards? Think about it what's the biggest pre-war sets T206, T207, T205, T210, T202, T212 that would only give you around what 3,000 or so cards…. but 40,000????

George claims he has 6,000 T206's brags his collection would be "worth in the 10's of millions and take several tractor trailers to haul off" then asks how much a PSA 5 Mike Powers sells for??? I’m the only one here scratching their head? George also claims he has been offered jobs by both Mastro and Heritage Auctions, then in the next breath says I never admitted to having much knowledge about this hobby? I’m I still the only guy scratching their head??

George claims he keeps all of this stuff in the bank, how many bank safety deposit boxes have you seen that could handle several tractor-trailer size amounts of stuff? Let alone rent it to you for $500 a year. Just look at the amount of space the plastic above that George pictured, imagine that around 40,000-60,000! My meager collection amounts to less than .05% of what George claims to have and I take up the 3 largest boxes in my bank and they charge me $600. Either I'm getting ripped off or I need to move where George lives.

George then claims he doesn't want to share because of fear of security issues, claims he might not even be using his real name. Then in the next breath brags about dropping 5 figures in Mastro over the past few years. Then claims joking or not, he will win all the N173's in the current Mastro auction.

George also claims to have a world-class gun collection used in movies, Death wish gun etc, postcards, political, coins and stamps. But out of all the items in this massive collection, a man who has been offered jobs with Mastro and Heritage he scans and asks a question about a popcorn holder from the late 60's early 70's? He even posts to look for a site to gain information on T206’s; I guess I’m the only person here who assumed at around the 6,000+ mark you might have a rough handle on them???

http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/thread/1176100212/last-1176203041/What+is+this

http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/thread/1176318289/last-1176337536/online+T206+error+resources

Finally I think it was another board member who really got me thinking on this collection of George’s he posted something along these lines. 40yrs of collecting George would have had to pick up more than 100 pre war cards a month a year for the past 40 yrs and he'd still be short....

However if in fact George has been pulling our leg, and is a normal collector like the rest of us, which is fine and looking at the images appears to be true. Then why the entire BS story? Why the snide comments to others and me saying we could catch up to George in a few decades I think was the quote? Why?

True I hate to see any poster go (to a degree), but this board has beat up people and driven off folks by the handful over less than lying about a massive collection,think about that. Heck we ran off a little kid for asking to many questions. LOL

For the record I hope George does have this collection that would be amazing. I hope he and his family really do fill a catalog one day that I can drool over when he sells. If that day does come we all will be better for it, the pure influx of that amount of fresh cards into the hobby would be great for us all!

The sad thing is due to the above examples I find it hard to believe, and now with the above images I find it even harder to believe. I’m probably the only one, but that’s just my take.

Sorry for being the bad guy network 54 I’ve always tried to share some humor as well as images from my personal collection. I also have tried to contribute what I can to the board in my own way. If you feel I just crossed the line with George, I will take my permanent leave of absence and George can come right back, with no issue of this idiot questioning him ever again.

***edited to fix wacky link****
***edited again to fix wacky all blue link text***

Old 04-14-2007, 10:18 PM
Administrator

“People on both sides of this issue have a LOT of time on their hands.”

James, I guess I would be the guy on the other side…good thing I still have time to bid in auctions…

Old 04-14-2007, 10:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

This is sooooo freakin humorous. Based on what can be seen, if that collection cost $10,000 since January 2, 2007, you've spent too much. Nice looking M116 wagner - though its a bit odd that its the only "valuable" card that you've left face up. A bit strange since you left everything else that is purportedly of value face down or hidden behind other cards because "in the spirit of your last post, why bother." I do love that sign in the first picture though.

Old 04-14-2007, 10:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

Wonka - I think your post is dead on.

Old 04-14-2007, 11:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Smith

Wonka,

I was wondering about some of "George's" claims also. I didn't say anything though because I have only been on this board for a few years, have a small collection and have already stirred up some trouble earlier. I thought I should just keep my skeptical questions to myself.

You are right, if he does have all those cards PLUS political items, guns, coins, stamps, etc. that must be a BIG bank. Maybe he rents some space in Fort Knox.....

David

Old 04-14-2007, 11:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ramram

Hit it on the nail John.

Besides, that's got to be the smallest bedroom I've ever seen from a multi-millionaires house...or is that a closet that happens to have a bed in it...

Rob

Old 04-14-2007, 11:25 PM
Administrator

No, JK, "George" said he has purchased $100,000 dollars worth of coins and cards since January not $10,000.

David

Old 04-14-2007, 11:29 PM
Administrator

The photos of women on the wall on the left hand side of the first two pictures, are those models?? If so, doesn't a member have a thing about models and collect their photos?? Isn't it Davidcycleback??

Could it be that a member has been having fun at our expense with a running gag and that he is quitting because no one was calling him out on it??

Just a thought,

David

Edited to rename the person who I think collects Fashion Model photos.

Old 04-15-2007, 02:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dylan

Everyone jumped on me when i questioned whether he really had this collection. I hope everyone sees that i may have been making a little sense. Those pictures prove nothing, and he says he has all these valuable t206's face down but then has an arrow point to his wagner m116 to say "look at this expensive card!" Im not buyin it. I think you want to bounce because you know the jig is up.

Old 04-15-2007, 04:34 AM
Administrator

Dylan, no offense but they jumped on you for playing moderator. I'm pretty sure I'm the "idiot" George is referring too, but if you want to be an "idiot" I guess you can be one as well.

Old 04-15-2007, 05:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

After reading through this thread when I awoke this morning I'm starting to think this whole thing was a put-on, just a big joke.

Maybe there really isn't a $10 million collection, maybe George Dreher is a made-up name, and maybe someone was just seeing how far he could take a fabricated story and fool a bunch of people. Even the pictures he provided don't add up, as most have pointed out.

Maybe this whole George thing was one extended April Fool's Day joke.

Old 04-15-2007, 07:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark L

Could be an April fools joke. "George" admitted that he made up the name. I hope the guy means that he is going to stop using the pseudonym "George" and will start posting under another name, preferably one that is close to his own.