NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-20-2010, 04:39 PM
Paul

Default Burdick's T206 Wagner & T206 Plank

Visited the Metropolitan Museum of Art today with my family and tracked down the relocated Burdick Collection. It is now on the mezzanine level of the American Wing (behind the Egyptian temple in the big room) and tucked away in the corner behind some paintings and kettles and misc junk. But I was pleasantly surprised to see Burdick's Wagner and Plank being displayed. It was pretty cool to see them together on the same wall.

May not be worth the price of admission, which now reaches $20, but at least you get to see some pretty cool baseball cards for the price.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 02-20-2010, 04:43 PM
Barry Sloate

There are two ways to see the Burdick Collection at the Met: there is always a group of cards framed and on display; or you can make an appointment to sit in the Department of Photos and Prints (or something like that) and ask one of the librarians to bring albums and boxes out to view. I gather you just saw the cards on display?

Last edited by barrysloate; 02-21-2010 at 04:47 AM. Reason: Thanks Steve- it's corrected.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:49 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
I gather you just saw the cards on display?
Correct. Last time I tried to make an appointment for the entire shibang for an article for my little website it never happened. Access is apparently quite tricky these days. I settled for the Goulston Wagner at the New York Public Library.

@SignedT206
Old 02-20-2010, 04:51 PM
Tony N.

Default Condition?

What type of condition are the Burdick Wagner & Plank in? If they were sent to SGC, what do you feel they will grade?

Thanks,
Tony
Old 02-20-2010, 05:02 PM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
Correct. Last time I tried to make an appointment for the entire shibang for an article for my little website it never happened. Access is apparently quite tricky these days. I settled for the Goulston Wagner at the New York Public Library.
Too bad on not getting the appointment. That "little website" you speak of is pretty great. It's where I found Net54 when I rekindled my interest in cards.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:31 PM
David McDonald

On my ImageEvent site, in case anyone is interested, are snapshots of the Burdick collection as was displayed in 2007. The Met is the size of a small town and the Burdick collection is just a tiny bit in a huge sea of art. I found it by accident in an out-of-the-way hallway on the way to see the Washington Crossing the Delaware painting. If I were Burdick I'd be pissed off that after all his painstaking years of work that this was the best the Met was gonna do. Better to have a wing in the Hall of Fame in my humble, unsolicited opinion.
Link: http://tinyurl.com/yhu9g2a (pw=aloha). Pix 16-31 comprise the entire display.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:31 PM
Barry Sloate

It's become very difficult to get an appointment to see the collection. Too many people used to visit, and they eventually had to change the rules. Back in the 80's you would just call and they would let you see it. Today you need a research project and they have to agree that it merits a viewing. I've always wondered if over the years cards were stolen.

Last edited by barrysloate; 02-20-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:36 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
That "little website" you speak of is pretty great. It's where I found Net54 when I rekindled my interest in cards.
That's great to hear. I'm glad you found it somewhat inspiring.

I would say the Wagner and Plank are in the SGC 50 range, with a 60 possible on the Wagner and a 40 possible on the Plank -- though they were both apparently pasted by Burdick into the album, so unless carefully removed, would both be SGC 30s or worse.

Interestingly, my first reaction to seeing the Plank was that it might be trimmed at the top. It's got sort of a rough cut top that looked a little too wavy for factory cut. If anyone goes in to see it I'd be interested to hear thoughts on that.

@SignedT206
Old 02-20-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawika View Post
On my ImageEvent site, in case anyone is interested, are snapshots of the Burdick collection as was displayed in 2007.
Thank you, David. Cool pix.

Last edited by matthew; 02-20-2010 at 07:51 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:26 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
.....there are always a group of cards framed and on display.....

Looks like Barry's slipping!

it should be "there is always a group....."

Steve
Old 02-20-2010, 08:44 PM
Jon Canfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post

May not be worth the price of admission, which now reaches $20, but at least you get to see some pretty cool baseball cards for the price.
Just want to clear up a common misconception. The Met is actually free to enter. The $20.00 price is the suggested donation to enter. However, you can chose to pay as little or as much as you want for admission.