NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-21-2006, 01:36 PM
Administrator

Default e90-1 Ultra - Commons

Posted By: Scott Gross

I, like many, many others, love the e90-1 set, not only for obvious esthetic reasons, but for the WIDE array of rarieties. You have big names that are common and commons that are rare. There is general overall agreement on levels of rarity. Although, I may have slightly differing opinions, based on my limited experience, of these levels. For example, I sit at 104/120, and felt I am down to just 1 "commom" -- Upp. Yet, in the latest Mastronet auction, Upp is listed as a toguh card. And to think of it, I have never even seen one. On the other hand, I have had 3 (low grade) Overall's sitting on my desk at one time.

Of course, the reason for the discrepency is the great marketing tool used by good ol' Am. Caramel to get those l'il candy munchers to buy more candy in need of the illusive card. And it still works today on us card collectors.

Well enough babbling on the obvious, my main questions is: Based on experience, do you think there were certain E90-1 cards that were OVER-PRODUCED ??? In my opinion, it would fit in the marketing theory, and my answer is a resounding ........

..... YES

Old 02-21-2006, 01:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Shannon

Scott, Here's my Upp

Old 02-21-2006, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I've always considered Upp a very tough and underrated E90-1, and it is also his only card, so there is extra pressure from collectors who aren't even working on the E90-1 set.

Old 02-21-2006, 07:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

I know Iam changing the post a little, but....how
many agree to the toughness of the Hugh Duffy card?

It is also a very nice looking card to boot !...Keeler
red is a awful toughy too !

Old 02-21-2006, 08:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Masson

Walsh is the toughie.

Old 02-21-2006, 08:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

I have seen 5-6 Walsh in the past 3 yrs, 2 Duffys'
cause I begged for them ....and 1 Keeler Red ,so
if you have a spare Duffy and Red Keeler can I
please buy them. I REALLY do want them. Thanks Dan

Old 02-22-2006, 12:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Barry is right, it is his only card and I still need it. Anyone feeling generous

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 02-22-2006, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

My 3 toughest while completing the set were Upp, Walsh and Speaker. I now have the set munius Joe Jax who is not rare, just expensive...

Old 02-22-2006, 02:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: RayB

I've recently started accumulating examples from this set and got the Stone above as my very first. Makes a lot of sense.
It's an amazing set for all the reasons noted and my favorite caramel issue too.
I love that inverted challenge as well. Some Rare commons and common stars.
Seeking now decent VG/EX examples from the set.
aja4rayb@msn.com
RayB

Old 02-24-2006, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: robert a

Dooin and Mcquillan have to qualify as overprinted subjects.

Old 02-24-2006, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

When I put this set together years ago, Shoeless Joe Jackson was not
a problem for me. Mitchell (Cinc) was the the real "toughie" for me.
I am surprised that no one else here has mentioned Mitchell.

Old 02-24-2006, 06:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Ignore the guides and listen to these guys.... They are telling you right. Upp is not common. Upp is difficult, for reasons above. His only card, an unusual career, and I think there is a bit of a Powers effect. Mike Powers in T206 is a bit tough, and I think it isn't becuase his cards weren't printed after he died, I think it is because some of his cards were pitched because he was dead. For Upp, he was gone from the big leagues, so the candy eater kids weren't inclined to hold onto the Upp cards. Kids had these cards first, that is why they are found in such rough shape. At least I think that is part of what happened to explain the Upp shortage. I have an Upp. He was about the 3rd or 4th E90-1 I picked up. I decided to focus on him before I chased the set at all.

Mitchell of Cincinnati is the KEY card. Duffy, Graham, Karger, Speaker and Sweeney of Boston are tough... very tough. It isn't so much a question of money, but of finding them for sale. Keeler throwing and Stahl are tough. And if you try to fill out this set, you'll need to buy Fromme when you see him, he's a bit hard to find, too. And I've thought Plank was underpriced, although they can be found. I figure folks wanting a card of each member of the Hall of Fame would put pressure on the E Planks. So I'd suggest getting him early on, in case I'm right and the price on him goes up faster than the others.

Old 02-25-2006, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Gross

What is the Upp story ?? (I was going to say "What is up with Upp" but that's too clever/clever). I finally looked him Upp (only semi-clever), and found one short season, 1909, 2-1, 1.69 era, in 7 games .....

Man, seeing his card, and now knowing his stats, and everyone's comments, puts him on my top of the top of the list, list.

Old 02-25-2006, 12:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

now I am never going to get an Upp card. Too many people chasing after it now Next thing you know, all you guys are going to be chasing MP&Co cards.

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 02-25-2006, 05:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

The card for Biff Schlitzer is not common. So be looking for him, too, and buy him when you see him. He's not terribly difficult to find, but he is not common, for sure. Lipset mentions this in his Encyclopedia, I believe.

Frank.