NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-25-2006, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Default what about Burr McIntosh

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Hey Guys and Gals,

2 Burr McIntosh photos just ended on eBay. One was a 1903 full page photo of Joe McGinnity, the other a nice full page photo of the 1903 New York Giants. I bid on both, and lost, they went for $52 and $89.88 respectively. I have only one such photo, which is of the 1903 Giants. (An old, wise collector once suggested to me to always strive for two of everything, that way I'd have one to trade later on...)

Anyway, what I'm curious about is what other Burr McIntosh photos are out there? I've seen a New York Highlanders team photo, and I recall some college team. Is there a list of them anywhere?

And I know they are really pages from a magazine. But these were special magazines, with hole punched pages because the entire magazine was tied together with fine ribbon. Obviously, the magazine publisher contemplated that the magazines would be disassembled and the multitude of great photographs would be separated. The entire focus of the magazine was to publish great photographs of the dawning 20th century, presidents, battleships, stage actors, sports teams, new architectural marvels... But it seems to me that these photos should be listed in baseball card catalogs. After all, the catalogs list ice cream lids, photo ticket stubs, bottle caps, bread labels and the like. So why don't we get a list together and send it to Mr. Lemke?

Frank W.

Old 02-25-2006, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

The McGinnity and the NY Giants (in stadium) pictures are both found in the Oct 1903 Issue. I know because I just sold one. There is also a different NY Giants picture , more of an outdoors shot with trees, but Im not sure what issue it is from.

The pictures below are from the magazine the McGinnity and NY NL (Stadium) pictures are from (This magazine had both removed). The magazine is string bound, but there is still 2 complete pages folded with the holes in the center. The magazine is put together like a magazine of today but instead of staples they used string, so in order to frame a single picture you would need to cut off the other page, or fold it behind. Some of the plates are blank backed some are printed 2 sided. All photos is Burr McIntosh are high quality.

Old 02-25-2006, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

I picked up the McGinnity today. I have the October, 1903 issue INTACT. I hope these scans are not too big. We have Jennings as a college coach and the Boston Campions

Old 02-25-2006, 12:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

The Burr MacIntosh magazine was essentially a limited edition artistic magazine. The images were printed using a higher quality printing process than used for regular magazines. The baseball pictures aren't suppliments or premiums, but are different than a page torn out of a Time magazine. I would think the best way to invest in these would be to purchase the complete magazines.

Some limited edition early art and photo magazines are highly collectable and expensive. For example, the famous photographer Alfred Steiglitz produced a photo magazine for several years called 'Camera Works.' Many of the pictures were tipped into the pages. Single copies of certain magazines and even indivial pictures from issues sell for thousands of dollars, and there have been books written about the magazines and cataloging the pictures in them.

In the baseball hobby, people know little of the Burr McIntosh baseball pictures but little is known about the magazine and the baseball pic checklist. If a MacIntosh fan were to research the magazine and its baseball pictures and write an article for Old Cardboad, it would raise the awareness and interest in the magazines and pictures.

Old 02-25-2006, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: RobertS

The photos were not premiums, David is right.

However, they also offered some as premiums you could send away for -- I believe one of the magazines has an ad for this offer.

Why they would do thos makes little sense, considering the entire mag was designed for you to remove the string and frame the images you liked.

Old 02-25-2006, 12:27 PM
Administrator

I think a lot of magazines and such offered extra copies of a free item for $$. It's not unlike where after a PBS show they flash an address where you can purchase copies of the show you just watched.

Some of the Police Gazette Suppliments are actual suppliments (blank backed) and others were printed full page directly in the magazines (text on back, page # on top, rough edge were bound). They are the same size and, if framed side by side, barely look different from each other.

Old 02-25-2006, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Thanks, guys. I have one issue, but there is no baseball in it.

I still think we need a list of baseball photos, and then try to get the listing added to the baseball catalogs.

Old 02-25-2006, 01:34 PM
Administrator

They won't be added to card catalogs, but, as mentioned, can be the subject of an article in Old Cardboard. Though they aren't cards, Lew Lipset included an excellent checklist for the Harper's Woodcuts in his basebal card encyclopedia, and I'm sure some eBay sellers of Woodcuts have promoted them by saying "as cataloged in the Encyclopedia of Baseball Cards."