NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-22-2005, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Default Long story short, I need some advice

Posted By: Paul Stratton

I'll spare you the details of how this came about but the situation is as follows: I am meeting tomorrow with an 80 year old man who has a collection of 600,000 vintage cards. I will get first look and have the chance to buy whatever I want out of the collection. We have only spoken over the phone and he has informed me in general terms what the collection consists of but, he has mentioned tobacco cards, as well as, large collections of pre-50's cards and memorbilia.

My question is : How do I approach this? Buy what I want, buy everything, consign the collection, etc.

Any advice would be appreciated. I know the description sounds pretty vague but I have reason to believe there are some rare things in this collection. Many of you have been in this situation before and I was wondering what you have done or better yet would have done if you could do it over again.

Thanks in advance, Paul

Old 04-22-2005, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Be honest with him, be informative, show him that you have an expertise with his material. Tell him the various options for disposing of his collection, and help him make a decision. Cherrypicking is great for you but it might not be in his best interests. 600,000 vintage cards seems almost impossible. I didn't think there were even that many in the hobby. Good luck with it. It's so large that you may have to go with a big auction house and take a finder's fee.

Old 04-22-2005, 06:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

a few months ago, but only about 1,000 cards from the early 1950's. I brought prices of some of the key cards from those sets in various conditions from ebay, to show what the actual selling prices were of some of his cards in the last few weeks or even days in some cases. That way, he knew the right prices, and I was able to avoid him looking at a price guide, which always starts with money in the thousands -- but for mint condition cards, of course. The hardest thing to tell people with Mickey Mantles in their collection is that those two creases make the card worth low-hundreds, not high thousands. Once we got to a reasonable value estimate for the collection, I told him I could either help him sell through ebay, with a percentage commission because of the time it would take me to scan all the cards and get the important ones graded. Or he could accept cash on the spot, and not deal with weeks of waiting it out. He took the cash, at an amount that made us both happy, and I spent my Christmas holiday selling off the collection, except for two Mantles (53 Topps and 54 Bowman, both in VG condition) as well as about 50 1954 Bowman cards in pretty nice shape, making back my money and then some, plus getting to keep some nice cards to boot.

Old 04-22-2005, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

That brings up a good point. People outside of the hobby often do not understand how condition affects the value of cards. If you have any graded cards in a variety of grades I would bring them as examples and show a price guide that distinguishes the relative value of the cards for the given prices.
JimB

Old 04-22-2005, 07:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul Stratton

I appreciate the replies. I'm assuming the majority of the cards are "post war" for sure. I thought the same thing when I heard the 600,000 number. I myself have 3200 count boxes filled with who knows what.

I also have reason to believe he "knows" what he has. I'm not going to try to swindle some old man anyway but am just trying to figure out what is fair.

I know it all depends on what's there and what condition it's in but is there a "volume discount" percentage you guys consider fair when you do deals?

Thanks for the info and I'll let you know how it goes.

P.S.

I love all the great info on this board. I snoop all the time to learn and enjoy every minute spent.