NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-04-2023, 05:23 AM
Robert Williams

Default Problems with Ebay items not showing up???

I recently had a 1955 Bowman Willie Mays PSA 3 end last night. VCP average for the card is around $275. Mine sold for $200. A record low. Normally, I don't do that poorly on an Ebay auction, so I wanted to see what I did wrong to make this one sell for around $75 under fair value. When I punch the number in on Ebay, IT DOESN'T SHOW UP!!! Item #404216420708.

Then I did a word search under 1955 Bowman Mays PSA 3. It still does not show up. Is it possible my item sold so cheap because no one could actually see the item?
Old 04-04-2023, 05:35 AM
Robert Williams

This is the Mays.....like I stated....it is NOT showing under completed listings, and the item number is not showing up at all.

Old 04-04-2023, 05:41 AM
jim qu.inlisk

Bobby I was looking at your listings at least twice last week and saw the Mays card both times. I was a little curious because I have a similar mays card. Sometimes funky stuff happens on ebay but don't worry, it was visible.
Old 04-04-2023, 05:42 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimq16415 View Post
Bobby I was looking at your listings at least twice last week and saw the Mays card both times. I was a little curious because I have a similar mays card. Sometimes funky stuff happens on ebay but don't worry, it was visible.
Why is it not showing up under completed listings then?? Also when you search by simply the auction number it should come up directly. It is not.
Old 04-04-2023, 05:47 AM
jim qu.inlisk

Like I said sometimes funky stuff on ebay. How does an item have 2 watchers and no views? I've had items do that.
Old 04-04-2023, 07:31 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Why is it not showing up under completed listings then?? Also when you search by simply the auction number it should come up directly. It is not.
This happens all the time and is fairly normal in my experience with completed auctions. Give it some time and it will show up normally. Even though it happens with completed listings it did not happen while active.
Old 04-04-2023, 07:46 AM
Howard Chasser

Default This in part highlights the problem with trying to define "fair value"

1st I want to say that I found your card quite easily using the Terapeak research tool on Ebay sorted by date ended. It did not come up for me with a completed item search for the same (not sure why - has the transaction been completed?).

You make a statement that your Mays sold for "$75 under fair value". VCP is not a measure of "fair value". VCP is a listing of historic sales (as is Ebay sold listings). VCP average I would argue would have the potential to be skewed low in a rising market and skewed high in a softening one unless all of the sales used to calculate the average are ultra recent. Add to that qualitative differences in cards leading to quantitative differences in sold prices.

Many would define "fair value" as the price where a willing buyer and a willing seller agree - $204.10 in the case of your card. Problem with that is while you were a willing seller in this case (you listed the card at no reserve and arguably were "willing" to sell the card at any price - the same "risk" is in play at any auction venue without a reserve ( a whole other topic of conversation)), not all willing buyers placed bids on the card because not all willing buyers happened to see it! A consequence of a VERY imperfect marketplace.

VCP or any other pricing history also misses every single private sale which in my case I can say are sometimes higher than public sales and sometimes lower.

Determining "fair value", while incorporating prior sales as a tool and part of the equation, is not simple. In my experience, it is always imperfect and a combination of art, science and experience.

I'll further illustrate with a real life example from the recent Chantilly show. A collector came up and was looking to sell a 1958 Willie Mays PSA 7. I looked up VCP. VCP average is $1614.39. The last sale on March 15 on Ebay in an auction format was for $3541. 3 prior sales were: $1140 - 2/2 Clean Sweep, $1440 - 1/27 Heritage, $1300. 12/13 - Ebay. What is current "fair value"? In this case near impossible to pin until there is another public sale either supporting or showing as an outlier the last $3541 sale. We understandably couldn't make a deal as he was looking squarely at the last sale and while I could get above VCP average, couldn't get close to a single sale (the last one).

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.

Last edited by hcv123; 04-04-2023 at 09:03 AM.
Old 04-04-2023, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Like I said sometimes funky stuff on ebay. How does an item have 2 watchers and no views? I've had items do that.
You can watch something without fully clicking into the listing, like if you search for an item/player. People might do this to come back to it later or if they have the item and just see what it goes for.
Old 04-04-2023, 08:21 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
It did not come up for me with a completed item search for the same (not sure why - has the transaction been completed?).
Yes....he paid immediately. I knew he would.
Old 04-04-2023, 08:43 AM
octavio ranzola

something is worth what someone is willing to pay
Old 04-04-2023, 09:08 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson44 View Post
something is worth what someone is willing to pay
Yea, but if the item is hidden so people can't see it, then that kinda depresses the price. Imagine playing Bingo against only 5 people. You have a real good shot of winning. Now imagine playing it against 500 people. Your odds ain't so good all of the sudden.
Old 04-04-2023, 10:06 AM
jim qu.inlisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh691626 View Post
You can watch something without fully clicking into the listing, like if you search for an item/player. People might do this to come back to it later or if they have the item and just see what it goes for.
Thanks! Didn't know that. There's so much to learn here!
Old 04-04-2023, 10:19 AM

Default watchers

Quote:
eBay changed the view count to include the last 30 days only, but watchers remain as long as the listing is live. If you have 2 watchers and no views the watchers have been watching for more than 30 days.
Old 04-04-2023, 10:38 AM
Eddie Zuercher

I can see it under sold items
Old 04-04-2023, 11:50 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddiez View Post
I can see it under sold items

I think it might have finally showed up. I also see it now under VCP.
Old 04-05-2023, 05:15 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

When I have set up at shows in the past, and someone tells me my card is more than the avg on VCP. I say one of two things.

1. Good- I don't sell average cards.
2. Go buy it from VCP

Eye appeal has to come in at some point, unless it's a pure registry play, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
1st I want to say that I found your card quite easily using the Terapeak research tool on Ebay sorted by date ended. It did not come up for me with a completed item search for the same (not sure why - has the transaction been completed?).

You make a statement that your Mays sold for "$75 under fair value". VCP is not a measure of "fair value". VCP is a listing of historic sales (as is Ebay sold listings). VCP average I would argue would have the potential to be skewed low in a rising market and skewed high in a softening one unless all of the sales used to calculate the average are ultra recent. Add to that qualitative differences in cards leading to quantitative differences in sold prices.

Many would define "fair value" as the price where a willing buyer and a willing seller agree - $204.10 in the case of your card. Problem with that is while you were a willing seller in this case (you listed the card at no reserve and arguably were "willing" to sell the card at any price - the same "risk" is in play at any auction venue without a reserve ( a whole other topic of conversation)), not all willing buyers placed bids on the card because not all willing buyers happened to see it! A consequence of a VERY imperfect marketplace.

VCP or any other pricing history also misses every single private sale which in my case I can say are sometimes higher than public sales and sometimes lower.

Determining "fair value", while incorporating prior sales as a tool and part of the equation, is not simple. In my experience, it is always imperfect and a combination of art, science and experience.

I'll further illustrate with a real life example from the recent Chantilly show. A collector came up and was looking to sell a 1958 Willie Mays PSA 7. I looked up VCP. VCP average is $1614.39. The last sale on March 15 on Ebay in an auction format was for $3541. 3 prior sales were: $1140 - 2/2 Clean Sweep, $1440 - 1/27 Heritage, $1300. 12/13 - Ebay. What is current "fair value"? In this case near impossible to pin until there is another public sale either supporting or showing as an outlier the last $3541 sale. We understandably couldn't make a deal as he was looking squarely at the last sale and while I could get above VCP average, couldn't get close to a single sale (the last one).
Old 04-06-2023, 06:31 AM
Scott Russell

eye appeal, and it's your damn card to do with as you please! VCP isn't exactly legally binding lol.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 04-06-2023, 09:16 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
eye appeal, and it's your damn card to do with as you please! VCP isn't exactly legally binding lol.
No...but a lot of people swear by it. I just was curious if an auction is hidden so people can't see it that you have to follow through with the sale.

That is the good news about having your own platform Scott. Your people will see your item. And if your website crashes, you would obviously extend the time.
Old 04-06-2023, 09:32 AM
Ben North

Quote:
No...but a lot of people swear by it. I just was curious if an auction is hidden so people can't see it that you have to follow through with the sale.

That is the good news about having your own platform Scott. Your people will see your item. And if your website crashes, you would obviously extend the time.
Your auction was never hidden while live.
Old 04-06-2023, 09:53 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:

my post was in reply to Leon.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 04-06-2023, 01:48 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Your auction was never hidden while live.
OK....