NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-15-2006, 05:09 PM
Administrator

Default Grading vouchers... A sham

Posted By: steve f

They can't be holdered, Grader keeps the cash and sends an IOU...

I have a few of these these things lying around (SGC and PSA) -I often forget to use them and likely misplaced a couple over time. You can't grade em, refund please. I'm not to sure this would be tolerated in retail as readily as it is in this Hobby. How is it the standard business practice for the Major graders?.. What if there are none and will never be other cards to send? Is it job security?..

I'm not a "thrifty" person nor been called a Cheapskate (to my face anywaze). This topic may seem chickensh!t, but it's just irritating.

*I've called the companies prior to sending and even sent scans/pics in the past, to give the grader a headsup... The general reply, "We should be able to grade those cards, send 'em in". More often than not, a month later the Flip indicates "no holder".

Old 02-15-2006, 05:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al Crisafulli

IMO, if the graders looked at the card, then the grading company has incurred cost. It's pretty cool that they send a voucher, IMO.

I just threw away four expired vouchers yesterday. I forgot I had them. That's my fault for being disorganized, though, not the grading company's.

-Al

Old 02-15-2006, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

I ususally throw away crap like that, but I actually did just use one SGC sent me because they couldn't grade a particularly easy card to grade. So that was cool.

Old 02-16-2006, 06:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I usually disagree with the graders' decision as to why not to grade the card but I appreciate the voucher so I am out nothing for the effort. I just use them the next time. Lots of retailers have store credit only for returns.

Old 02-16-2006, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

PSA sent me a voucher for not grading a T207 blank back I bought on ebay, saying it wasn't a card they recognize and grade (or language to that effect). Strangely a month later I noticed the guy who sold me the card had 5 graded PSA T207 blank backs on ebay for sale. Who says it doesn't matter who does the submitting?

Old 02-16-2006, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bryan Long

I got one from SGC for not grading a T202 I sent in - "Did not meet siz requirements." Only one that I have ever gotten and was able to use it 7 months later.

Old 02-16-2006, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

Adam, I usually disagree with the decision of not to grade a card too. I wouldn't send it in if I didn't think it was gradable. I do appreciate the voucher somewhat, but you definetly lose the money you spent on shipping/insurance to & from the grading company. That's the real bummer.

Old 02-16-2006, 08:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh K.

personally, I think its a good gesture on the part of the grading companies. They are under no obligation to do so. They reviewed the card and met their obligation - they should get paid. They do not guarantee to grade every card sent to them. Obviously it sucks being out the shipping, but why should they be responsible to reimburse shipping for any card that is sent in and ungradeable?

Old 02-16-2006, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kyle

I had SGC reject a card because it was determined to be too small. I was disappointed as I had spent the $25 on getting the fast service. The card arrived back promptly a day or two later, along with a $25 voucher.... totally unexpected.

5 years ago before I knew much about the 1947 Bond Bread square corner cards, I sent them to BGS, they didn't grade them and kept my money.

Vouchers are great... keep them in a place where you'll see them and there's no reason to hate them.

-Kyle-

Old 02-16-2006, 10:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

Josh, I wasn't saying a grading company should reimburse shipping costs, but just noting that being out that money was a negative. I agree the vouchers are a nice gesture. However, if SGC for example was a little more consistent with their strip card policy, some of us wouldn't have to deal with the vouchers issue. That's from my personal experience of sending them cards that were full size, but still deemed too small because they need to be full size plus the dotted cut line visable. I think they are inconsistent because I see SGC graded cards that are obviously not full size fairly often.

Old 02-25-2006, 06:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: steve f

PSA; Okay, I get a couplea vouchers from an old 5 day sub... Used the vouchers two subs ago* and end up having to wait over three weeks now with no end in sight. No problems with order, customer service advised, "Just a matter of time", and it's some kind of "Special" -couldn't decipher the girl with the attitude and didn't wish to tango with her -was kinda scared.

*A 5 day PSA sub sent in two weeks later is on the way back. Recieved a Becket and a GAI sub in the interim as well.

There, I feel better.

Old 02-25-2006, 08:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David Vargha

With SGC, I don't really mind, because they are willing to send everything back in one shipment. With PSA, however, If I sent in a "tall boy", a star card and a common, I have to pay three separate return shipping charges. That makes the value of the voucher virtually worthless.

DavidVargha@hotmail.com