NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-24-2006, 03:01 PM
Administrator

Default The Negro League HOF Ballot

Posted By: Chad

Just thought I'd get a debate started about who the new HOFers might be on Monday for you HOF collectors to chase. This is how I rate the candidates, 1 through 39. It's still a work in progress. I'm shocked by how far down some of these guys are. I'm really sold on Torriente and Brown being the two best. After that, it's hard. I would probably vote for everyone down to Chet Brewer and that doesn't even include Buck O'Neil. Jud Wilson was awesome, I'm pretty sure of that. Like a healthy Edgar Martinez that could play the field. Santop reminds me a lot of Joe Jackson with a little more pop and the ability to catch some. I have HR Johnson so high because even in his late 30's he was pounding the ball down in Cuba. Still, you can't lose with any of these guys down to 16. I have no idea what the committee will do, but the # of inductees should be closer to 20 than to 10, I think. I could talk about this all day, so I'll just leave this with a disclaimer that I'll be changing my mind about the order of my list from minute to minute. I'd be shocked if anyone agreed with any more than 25% of my list. A lot of the info for this list comes from Riley's Encyclopedia, Holway's compilations, various anecdotal sources and the work the folks at baseballthinkfactory.com are doing on equating Negro League statistics those of MLB. So, yeah, it's all very conjectural. VERY conjectural, which is a lot of the fun, I guess. I can't wait for Monday!

Cristobal Torriente
Ray Brown
Jud Wilson
Louis Santop
Home Run Johnson
Biz Mackey
John Beckwith
Mule Suttles
Pete Hill
Dobie Moore
Dick Redding
Jose Mendez
Cum Posey
Alejandro Oms
Frank Grant
Willard Brown
Dick Lundy
Andy Cooper
Minnie Minoso
George Scales
Ben Taylor
Ghost Marcelle
JL Wilkinson
Chet Brewer
Spot Poles
Newt Allen
William Bell
Rap Dixon
Fats Jenkins
Buck O'Neil
John Donaldson
Sammy Hughes
Candy Jim Taylor
Sol White
CI Taylor
Bill Byrd
Red Parnell
Effa Manley
Alex Pompez

--Chad

Old 02-24-2006, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike M

I'm guessing Buck O'Neil and Minnie Minoso will go in for sure, just based on how the Hall of Fame works. I'm interested to see how many will go in. They all probably deserve it, but I can't see the Hall opening the door to 39 inductees at one time.

Old 02-24-2006, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: howard

That's exactly what I thought. Minoso because he proved his worth in the Majors and O'Neil because he has been a class act and "ambassador" for the game for so many years in addition to his involvement with both the Negro League Hall of Fame and Cooperstown. Both worthy choices IMHO.

Old 02-24-2006, 06:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

i could not think of 2 better people for the hall of fame than minnie minoso and buck o'neal. both should have been inducted years ago. not many (if any)players with stats better than minoso after the age of 29.