NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 11-16-2023, 11:35 AM
Jim M.arinari

Default How ticked would you be?

This Deer is a little ticked at a local reporter who covers county meetings. I have been "quoted" twice from video she is watching incorrectly. The 1st time was OK in that it direct 'quoted' a similar sentiment, even though my actual comment was pretty well formed to communicate a slightly different point.

This last time she only quoted one word and couched it in a context in polar opposition to my position on the subject. Like if you said "I love the game of baseball, but I think the ghost runner should be banned." And the news story said: Deertick hates baseball and thinks it should be "banned".

I wrote her a nice note asking for maybe an edit to accurately reflect my statement. Her reply:

I thought your word for what that will bring to your situation worked in the context with other community comments included specifying various aspects of the lifestyle change that growth brings.

It can be challenging at times to find that balance between summarizing the many aspects of these changes that impact people's lives without getting too bogged down on specifics.

AITA? (on this and ONLY this?)
Old 11-16-2023, 12:23 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

She has her own agenda and twisted your words to further it.

Same thing happened to me once when I sent a comment to the editor of the Minneapolis Star Tribune. It was 4 short paragraphs. The first 3 were a set-up, and the fourth made it clear I was being facetious. They printed my letter, omitting the final paragraph, making it seem I was in support of something I was clearly against.

Can you write a polite letter to this reporter's bosses, informing them what she did? Reporting needs to be fair and even-handed.
Old 11-16-2023, 12:29 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Not worth your further ink on the matter. Move on to something else.

IMHO

Butch T.

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 11-16-2023, 01:21 PM
Robert J. Miller

I really hate reporters as they only seem to report what they want for their own agenda even if its a lie. And you can quote me on that.
Bob
Old 11-16-2023, 02:43 PM
sc0tt_kirkn.er

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesfan View Post
I really hate reporters as they only seem to report what they want for their own agenda even if its a lie. And you can quote me on that.
Bob
It appears PhilliesFan likes to spread misinformation because he "hate[s] reporters." In his own words, he has his "own agenda" admitting that when he speaks "its a lie." He is so brazen, he even challenged this reporter to "quote me [him] on that."
Old 11-16-2023, 03:45 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deertick View Post
This Deer is a little ticked at a local reporter propagandist who covers county meetings. I have been "quoted" twice from video she is watching incorrectly. The 1st time was OK in that it direct 'quoted' a similar sentiment, even though my actual comment was pretty well formed to communicate a slightly different point.
Fixed it for you.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 11-16-2023, 05:25 PM
Jim M.arinari

Honestly, I don't think it is an agenda, just sloppy/lazy reporting. It would have been fine if she didn't attribute the notion to me; it fairly described some other comments. But I was representing the interests of quite a few other community members who couldn't attend an early afternoon 5-8 hr meeting, and the article came out before they had the chance to see the replay. I had to put out some fires with people who trusted me, and had to explain on some social media groups that I DON'T want to ban baseball!

FWIW, she is an older reporter that is stuck watching 7 hr meetings in a County that USED to be a podunk backwoods. On a positive note, the recording IS an official record so I can always point to that.
Old 11-16-2023, 05:33 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
She has her own agenda and twisted your words to further it.

Same thing happened to me once when I sent a comment to the editor of the Minneapolis Star Tribune. It was 4 short paragraphs. The first 3 were a set-up, and the fourth made it clear I was being facetious. They printed my letter, omitting the final paragraph, making it seem I was in support of something I was clearly against.

Can you write a polite letter to this reporter's bosses, informing them what she did? Reporting needs to be fair and even-handed.
"Submissions may be edited for length." LOL. I'd be upset that something that you took time to 'create' got hacked into bits. Like making a beautiful cake and the delivery guy sits on it. Only you know what it looked like originally.

And I may contact the paper, only because her response clearly admits she used some jacked up conceit.
Old 11-20-2023, 07:10 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesfan View Post
Bob
Philliesfan acknowledges reporters' objectivity noting that "reporters . . . they only seem to report."

Successful transactions with:
300dw123, autograf, bn2cardz, buymycards, CobbvLajoie1910, Daves_resale_shop, frankbmd, GoCubsGo32, GoldenAge50s, GrayGhost, Head928, Jayworld, jdl860, jgmp123, kamikidEFFL, larrie804, Leerob538, lharri3600, Lordstan, megalimey, Orioles1954, quinnsryche, Redleg25, rjackson44, Rob D., SAllen2556, scmavl, slantycouch, slipk1068, Smanzari, TCMA, thetruthisouthere, Wolfgang427, yanks12025, ZackS
Old 11-21-2023, 02:09 PM

Blast her in a Letter to the Editor.
Old 11-21-2023, 03:00 PM

Default How ticked?

Deer- I like the idea of contacting her boss and providing a clear explanation
of her "mistakes". One time could have been sloppy work, a second time with
her fluff-off response indicates she needs fixed; after all, it's you she is
misquoting. Trent King
Old 11-22-2023, 03:51 PM
Jim M.arinari

I sent a gently scolding email to the editor about her reply, explaining my concerns of her use of my name whilst summarizing instead of 'Some residents'. And when she quotes, whether paraphrasing or directly, it should be accurate. "Deertick said (bullshit, bullshit, bullshit)" when her intention was clearly to summarize others statements is breaking a basic tenet of journalism. The fact that she quoted one word I said doesn't negate the context she presented.

I did present it more as a heads-up instead of a demand for action, so we'll see if there is a reply.
Old 11-27-2023, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClementeFanOh View Post
Deer- I like the idea of contacting her boss and providing a clear explanation

of her "mistakes". One time could have been sloppy work, a second time with

her fluff-off response indicates she needs fixed; after all, it's you she is

misquoting. Trent King

Sent from my Infinix X6516 using Tapatalk
Old 01-24-2024, 03:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthoemke View Post
Blast her in a Letter to the Editor.

Last edited by danielantonino5; 01-24-2024 at 03:07 PM.