NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-01-2022, 01:15 PM
sc0tt_kirkn.er

Default Protection question for sun/fading for PSA vintage and auto cards

I am collecting vintage PSA slabs (going from 1887 through the 70s) of key HOFers, as well as Lakers on card autographs. I have been displaying my vintage cards in a glass hanging display for the better part of 20 years. It does not get direct sunlight, but the room gets a fair amount of light. Now that prices have skyrocketed (very noticeable when I try and add a new card to the collection), I am getting concerned about the possibility of my encased cards fading over time. When looking at cards like 1952 Topps Jackie Robinson and 1958 Bob Gibson, there are about 100 different shades that range from vibrant to dull. I am assuming that this difference is due, in part, to how much light the cards have seen over the past 70 years. Is this accurate? If so, other than hiding my cards away in a box, is there any way to be able to enjoy them out in the open without risking long-term fading?

Similarly, I have read and seen alot about how sun exposure causes substantial fading of on card autographs over time. I have seen some beautiful cards with tragically faded autographs and want to avoid risking that happening to my auto cards. Does the PSA holder block UVA rays or do anything to protect against sun fading? Are there other sleeves or films that can be used to protect auto cards? I am curious what others on here do to protect valuable cards from fading. Thanks.
Old 02-01-2022, 09:43 PM

In my earlier days of collecting, I lost quite a few cards to sun damage. For what it's worth, red faded the most. The only solution I found that still allows me to display my cards is to completely black out all windows with dark curtains or shutters. This has worked well. The small doses of artificial light that they receive when I turn on the lights and look at them hasn't seemed to do any harm.

I'm not much of a graded card collector, but I doubt the cases provide any protection.
Old 02-01-2022, 10:40 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

Display them behind conservation grade glass. That's about the only way to display and enjoy with some piece of mind.
Like Paul said, If you want to go to the extreme you can black out your windows with eclipse curtains and use specific very low uv light bulbs.

My Baseball Snapshot Photo collection- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/snapshotcollection

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale

Last edited by Lucas00; 02-01-2022 at 10:47 PM.
Old 02-02-2022, 08:13 AM
Steve Birmingham

It depends on what the slabs are made of.

Polycarbonate blocks almost all UV, so if they're polycarbonate, they should be fine from UV problems that cause most fading.

That won't prevent problems from temperature cycling etc.