NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-30-2022, 08:19 AM
Se@n Kel.ly

Default Who are your Inner Circle Hall of Famers?

I think the general hobby consensus is that cards of the inner circle hall of famers are most likely to appreciate in value. These are the guys who are always included in the "best ever" lists, and are generally famous enough to be known to non-baseball fans. There's always a great debate over who is an inner circle guy, and who is a "regular" hall of famer. Johnson, Ruth, Mays, Aaron, Robinson, and Cobb are obvious inner circle players. I think Gehrig, Mantle, Clemente, and Cy Young are a step behind, but are probably included on most lists.

The next tier is the one that's interesting to me. Is Wagner an inner circle guy, or is he Tris Speaker with a famous baseball card (and is that significant enough to keep him among the inner circle)? Does Mathewson miss the cut because he wasn't as good as Walter Johnson? Does Satchel Paige's Negro League fame overcome the obstacles placed in front of him? Joe DiMaggio had a great career, but was it long enough (I will accept arguments that Marilyn Monroe tips the scales in his favor)? Same question for Koufax (albeit minus Marilyn Monroe)? Are Ted Williams and Warren Spahn's obvious talents enough to overcome the years lost to military service? Does Barry Bonds make the list?

Who are the "fringe" guys you would include on your inner circle list? How many players are on your list?
Old 01-30-2022, 08:29 AM
J@mes Nonk.es

I feel like you have it right. I wouldn’t have Gehrig anywhere but in the super core of hall of famers though. I think Wagner makes to cut too but a fair question. Musial is at least on the fringe. In terms of more modern players, Rickey Henderson makes my fringe list. I of course put Spahn there too but I am beyond biased there.
Old 01-30-2022, 08:31 AM
J@mes Nonk.es

Let me just add 3 more: Foxx, Ott and Greenberg for the fringe. I put Plank there too but I think that’s a famous card effect.
Old 01-30-2022, 08:34 AM

Default "inner circle" value appreciation

I realize we are dealing with opinion here. It's been my experience that
Mickey Mantle and Roberto Clemente belong, without question, at the
cream of the crop point. They are "1a" not 1b". Their values go only 1
direction- up. Here's an intriguing one as we sit in 2022- Nolan Ryan??

Trent King

PS- in terms of value, Wagner is 1a as well.
Old 01-30-2022, 08:34 AM
Josh

Ruth, Cobb, Wajo, Wagner, Mantle, Mays, Aaron, Robinson seems to be most peoples. Ruth, Cobb, Wagner to me.

Last edited by Jstottlemire1; 01-30-2022 at 08:36 AM.
Old 01-30-2022, 08:41 AM
Se@n Kel.ly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClementeFanOh View Post
I realize we are dealing with opinion here. It's been my experience that
Mickey Mantle and Roberto Clemente belong, without question, at the
cream of the crop point. They are "1a" not 1b". Their values go only 1
direction- up. Here's an intriguing one as we sit in 2022- Nolan Ryan??

Trent King

PS- in terms of value, Wagner is 1a as well.
Every baseball player I knew growing up wanted to be Nolan Ryan. Fastest pitcher ever, most strikeouts, most no-hitters, general badass. That said, I don't think he belongs at the very top. The career wins aren't quite there, he never won a major award, and you can't ignore the overwhelming number of walks. In terms of collectability and hobby appeal he's right at the top, but in terms of merit as a Hall of Famer, I don't think he is an inner circle guy.
Old 01-30-2022, 08:47 AM

Default Hof

Sean- right. I was talking about increasing card values, which you mentioned
in the original post. The reason I think Ryan is interesting is that, through
card values alone, he's been a recent steady climber. The others have been
decades long climbers. Just talking about card values. Trent King
Old 01-30-2022, 09:06 AM
Se@n Kel.ly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClementeFanOh View Post
Sean- right. I was talking about increasing card values, which you mentioned
in the original post. The reason I think Ryan is interesting is that, through
card values alone, he's been a recent steady climber. The others have been
decades long climbers. Just talking about card values. Trent King
I wasn't intending to go in this direction, but it's an interesting corollary. Strictly from a card collecting perspective, you're 100% correct to include him as an inner circle guy. Excluding rookies and error cards, he's the most expensive card in almost every set he appears in. That's doubly impressive when you consider he's a pitcher, and they always to lag behind hitters when it comes to value.
Old 01-30-2022, 09:24 AM

Default Hof

Sean- yes indeed. Nolan's not my favorite, but he was the man. "The Express".
I'll never forget him showing Robin Ventura why it's not smart to charge the
mound Trent King
Old 01-30-2022, 09:49 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

I presume betting with the current hobby consensus is a pretty bad strategy for ROI. If you could predict which players will be considered much better a generation from now than they currently are, that's the real trick. But if you're asking me who the best players ever were? Babe Ruth, Walter Johnson, Cy Young, Barry Bonds, Willie Mays, and Roger Clemens.
Old 01-30-2022, 09:52 AM
J@mes In.gram

Opinions only when it comes to these questions.

For me, Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Williams, Koufax are the innner circle all-time greatest, whose cards I value over all the others. IMO, after about 1970, no one can carry these guys' jock straps. Baseball went straight to Hell from that point on. In my opinion.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 01-30-2022, 09:55 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelly423 View Post
I wasn't intending to go in this direction, but it's an interesting corollary. Strictly from a card collecting perspective, you're 100% correct to include him as an inner circle guy. Excluding rookies and error cards, he's the most expensive card in almost every set he appears in. That's doubly impressive when you consider he's a pitcher, and they always to lag behind hitters when it comes to value.
Mantle and Ryan and Jackie are always going to have relatively higher card values. I would argue Clemente too. Not to detract from any of their greatness as players, just a relative point.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 01-30-2022 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-30-2022, 10:37 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Bonds, Ruth and Williams are the three best hitters in history (yes, I know Bonds isn't in the HOF, just saying) so Teddy Ballgame is an automatic for me. I'd say the no-brainers are

Position Players:

Ruth
Gehrig
Foxx
Williams
Musial
Aaron
Mays
Henderson
Hornsby
Collins
Lajoie
Wagner
Schmidt
Bench
Berra
Robinson: Jackie and Frank
Morgan
Cobb
Mantle
Ott
Speaker
Brett

Pitchers:
Johnson: Walter and Randy
Spahn
Grove
Mathewson
Young
Alexander
Seaver
Carlton
Maddux
Gibson
Rivera

I've probably forgotten a few.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-30-2022, 10:39 AM
Frank Wakefield

Robinson...

The one with a WAR over 100, with almost 3000 hits, and almost 600 home runs?

I think you guys are talking about the one with a WAR just over 60, with just over 1500 hits and just under 150 home runs....

Jackie was a gentleman (not that Frank wasn't), well educated, and the right man for Rickey's integration movement. Jackie went through hell. But that's not to say that Frank Robinson didn't. Frank about doubled the baseball results that Jackie did. They're both HOFers, but if one of them is gonna be in the inner circle I'd lean toward that being Frank.

Wagner, W Johnson, Cobb, Ruth, Gehrig, Hornsby, Mathewson, C Young, E Collins. Williams, Mays, Musial, Ott, Foxx, Spahn, Speaker, Lajoie, and Old Pete Alexander.

Tempting to add McGraw, he was everything. Much of it was long ago and not remembered.

Someone who gets no love in all of these comparisons is Eddie Collins. A third of his At Bats resulted in hits. Add for consideration 1499 walks. He was a hitting, walking, base stealing, run scoring, fielding machine. All time leader in sacrafice hits. He was a White Sox good guy when the Black Sox were throwing the World Series; more people would remember him if he'd been among the Black Sox.
Old 01-30-2022, 10:42 AM

Wagner is absolutely inner circle. He was the greatest player of his age and one of the inaugural 5 inducted into the HOF. He is much much more than a good player with a baseball card. And, I think Joe Jackson is deep “inner circle” re cards, even though he is not an HOFer

With respect to Pre-War (WWII), I think these are your top tier, and almost every iconic/most expensive card contains one of these people

Ruth
Cobb
Jackson
Wagner
Mathewson
Johnson
Gehrig
Young
DiMaggio (goes into vintage)
Williams (goes into vintage)
Old 01-30-2022, 10:56 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

I would agree with McGraw, Eddie Collins too. Collins continues to get respect far below his statistical performance.

Robinson, Clemente and Ryan are hobby inner circle, but not performance inner circle. Clemente has almost the same statistical value as his contemporary Al Kaline. Obvious HOFer but nobody wants to put him in the inner circle.

Jackie ends up being overrated and underrated at the same time somehow. He’s not the best 2B of all time, but he’s probably like 7-12 off resume, an obvious statistical hall of famer but his actual performance is rarely discussed and the focus almost solely put on being a historical first instead.
Old 01-30-2022, 11:00 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Bonds, Ruth and Williams are the three best hitters in history (yes, I know Bonds isn't in the HOF, just saying) so Teddy Ballgame is an automatic for me. I'd say the no-brainers are

Position Players:

Ruth
Gehrig
Foxx
Williams
Musial
Aaron
Mays
Henderson
Hornsby
Collins
Lajoie
Wagner
Schmidt
Bench
Berra
Morgan
Cobb
Mantle
Ott
Speaker
Brett

Pitchers:
Spahn
Grove
Mathewson
Young
Alexander
Seaver
Carlton
Maddux
Gibson
Rivera

I'm in almost complete alignment with these names, and appreciate the work put into it (although I suspect Adam just rattled them off the top of his head).

I would change just one player from each...

* Replace Henderson with DiMaggio, Greenberg or Griffey Jr.
* Replace Rivera with Walsh, Plank or Hubbell

Just my meager .02
Old 01-30-2022, 11:03 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

Position Players:

Ruth
Gehrig
Foxx
Williams
Musial
Aaron
Mays
Henderson
Hornsby
Collins
Lajoie
Wagner
Schmidt
Bench
Berra
Morgan
Cobb
Mantle
Ott
Speaker
Brett

Pitchers:
Spahn
Grove
Mathewson
Young
Alexander
Seaver
Carlton
Maddux
Gibson
Rivera

Assuming you're excluding consensus steroid types, I would add Pujols and Griffey to this list, F. Robinson as already mentioned, and possibly Clemente and Kershaw.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 01-30-2022 at 11:03 AM.
Old 01-30-2022, 11:09 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Maranville, not the small village in France, the shortstop.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 01-30-2022, 11:18 AM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Luca Doncic
Old 01-30-2022, 04:50 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Assuming you're excluding consensus steroid types, I would add Pujols and Griffey to this list, F. Robinson as already mentioned, and possibly Clemente and Kershaw.
if you put Kershaw in there we will have to create a DL.

DiMaggio, Griffey and Plank are top-tier. Pujols is not eligible yet. I forgot about King Carl and I collect him. D'oh! Sorry about that, your majesty.

ETA: heh, that's exactly what I did, Mark.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-30-2022 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-30-2022, 05:21 PM
Peter Spaeth

Ah I was thinking all time greats so was premature on a couple of the additions. Nice Hubbell, that's a work of art.

Old 01-30-2022, 05:25 PM
Jeff Lazarus

If your angle is the hobby, there are some other names that warrant mentioning.

I have an interesting vantage point because I collect game-used lineup cards of just about every player. I have bought collections from umpires and managers, and often look to sell some of them to recoup a portion of the cost.

Admittedly the vast majority are from 1980's on so it is skewed towards more recent times, but there are two names who come up all the time: Don Mattingly and Nolan Ryan.

For every mention of Griffey, Bonds, McGwire, etc there are 10 requests for Mattingly and Ryan. Next behind those two are probably Mariano Rivera, Jose Canseco and Ivan Rodriguez. Frank Thomas as well.

It's not remotely the list of the best players, but they seem to be the most popular and then ones that people are the most interested in.
Old 01-30-2022, 05:59 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topnotchsy View Post
If your angle is the hobby, there are some other names that warrant mentioning.

I have an interesting vantage point because I collect game-used lineup cards of just about every player. I have bought collections from umpires and managers, and often look to sell some of them to recoup a portion of the cost.

Admittedly the vast majority are from 1980's on so it is skewed towards more recent times, but there are two names who come up all the time: Don Mattingly and Nolan Ryan.

For every mention of Griffey, Bonds, McGwire, etc there are 10 requests for Mattingly and Ryan. Next behind those two are probably Mariano Rivera, Jose Canseco and Ivan Rodriguez. Frank Thomas as well.

It's not remotely the list of the best players, but they seem to be the most popular and then ones that people are the most interested in.
Mattingly strength makes sense to me - was the Yanks main guy during some tough times for people now in their 40s. Do Doc and Straw get similar love or not from what you’ve seen?
Old 01-30-2022, 06:07 PM

I like Satchell Paige. Nolan Ryan. Aaron & Mays. The first 5 into HOF. Cy Young. Ted Williams. Mantle. Maybe Dimaggio. I feel Lefty Grove & Foxx are somewhat under appreciated in the card collecting world. Oh, yeah, for sure put in Gehrig.

Last edited by Touch'EmAll; 01-30-2022 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-30-2022, 06:16 PM
Bill Gregory

Within the Hall of Fame, these guys reside in my “pantheon of the immortals”. I might forget a player or two-getting old and senile is the suck-but this should be pretty close:

Babe Ruth
Walter Johnson
Ty Cobb
Honus Wagner
Christy Mathewson
Rogers Hornsby
Lou Gehrig
Lefty Grove
Stan Musial
Jackie Robinson
Joe DiMaggio
Yogi Berra
Ted Williams
Mickey Mantle
Hank Aaron
Roberto Clemente
Willie Mays
Bob Gibson
Tom Seaver
Johnny Bench
Joe Morgan
Mike Schmidt
Pedro Martinez
Greg Maddux
Randy Johnson

Just as an aside, anybody compiling a list without #42 needs to go back to the beginning again, and re-think who they’re putting on it, and who is being excluded. Respectfully, Jackie Robinson is an all-time great. Beyond the unquantifiable levels of grace and courage he exhibited in being confronted by the most repugnant form of racism imaginable, turning the other cheek and maintaining his promise of silence to Branch Rickey, enduring taunts, slurs, and physical abuse from opposing players (I’m looking at you, Enos Slaughter), Robinson was a transformative talent. So much is made about how Babe Ruth transformed the game-and he did. Ruth was smart enough, and physically gifted, to recognize and take advantage of the changes made to the game, when the ball started getting changed out, when the spitball was outlawed, etc. Ruth would have been an all-time great in any era. But so would Jackie. Jackie’s play, representative of what was going on in the Negro Leagues for so long, completely changed the Major League games. He was a runaway train that couldn’t be stopped. He was a monster offensive player, and a plus defender. The man reached the Majors at age 28, retired after his age 37 season, playing a comparatively short time in the Majors (1,416 games and 5,949 plate appearances), and he still put up 63.9 bWAR. A single season of 7-8 WAR is considered MVP caliber. Robinson was a top 2-3 player in baseball.

1951, 9.7 WAR
1949, 9.3 WAR
1952, 8.4 WAR
1950, 7.3 WAR
1953, 6.9 WAR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 01-30-2022, 06:31 PM
Se@n Kel.ly

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post

Just as an aside, anybody compiling a list without #42 needs to go back to the beginning again, and re-think who they’re putting on it, and who is being excluded. Respectfully, Jackie Robinson is an all-time great. Beyond the unquantifiable levels of grace and courage he exhibited in being confronted by the most repugnant form of racism imaginable, turning the other cheek and maintaining his promise of silence to Branch Rickey, enduring taunts, slurs, and physical abuse from opposing players (I’m looking at you, Enos Slaughter), Robinson was a transformative talent. So much is made about how Babe Ruth transformed the game-and he did. Ruth was smart enough, and physically gifted, to recognize and take advantage of the changes made to the game, when the ball started getting changed out, when the spitball was outlawed, etc. Ruth would have been an all-time great in any era. But so would Jackie. Jackie’s play, representative of what was going on in the Negro Leagues for so long, completely changed the Major League games. He was a runaway train that couldn’t be stopped. He was a monster offensive player, and a plus defender. The man reached the Majors at age 28, retired after his age 37 season, playing a comparatively short time in the Majors (1,416 games and 5,949 plate appearances), and he still put up 63.9 bWAR. A single season of 7-8 WAR is considered MVP caliber. Robinson was a top 2-3 player in baseball.

1951, 9.7 WAR
1949, 9.3 WAR
1952, 8.4 WAR
1950, 7.3 WAR
1953, 6.9 WAR

Couldn’t agree more. On talent alone he’s a top 20 player. On historical importance he is number 1, and the gap between him and Number 2 would make Secretariat blush.
Old 01-30-2022, 06:42 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
Within the Hall of Fame, these guys reside in my “pantheon of the immortals”. I might forget a player or two-getting old and senile is the suck-but this should be pretty close:
Babe Ruth
Walter Johnson
Ty Cobb
Honus Wagner
Christy Mathewson
Rogers Hornsby
Lou Gehrig
Lefty Grove
Stan Musial
Jackie Robinson
Joe DiMaggio
Yogi Berra
Ted Williams
Mickey Mantle
Hank Aaron
Roberto Clemente
Willie Mays
Bob Gibson
Tom Seaver
Johnny Bench
Joe Morgan
Mike Schmidt
Pedro Martinez
Greg Maddux
Randy Johnson

1951, 9.7 WAR
1949, 9.3 WAR
1952, 8.4 WAR
1950, 7.3 WAR
1953, 6.9 WAR

You can't leave Grover Alexander off any list of pitchers, IMO. Or Tris Speaker off any list of everyday players. Probably Collins. Foxx.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 01-30-2022 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-30-2022, 07:01 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelly423 View Post
Couldn’t agree more. On talent alone he’s a top 20 player. On historical importance he is number 1, and the gap between him and Number 2 would make Secretariat blush.
I know this is an unpopular take on it, but Robinson was historically important largely because he was selected by Branch Rickey to be so. Could've been one of several black ballplayers with superior talent and extreme mental toughness, and there were guys like that who came later, like Doby, Aaron, Mays, Campanella, Newcombe, George Crowe, and later Clemente, Frank, Gibson, and etc.

I'm not taking anything away from Robinson or his historical significance, just saying Rickey was the one who had the ability and the will to break the color line, and he had several viable options. He chose Robinson and it was an excellent choice. But there were other black players, some who were better talent wise.

On talent, Ruth was the most important baseball player in history.
Old 01-30-2022, 07:17 PM
J@$0n.Chri$$i$

Just for fun, I asked five guys at my gym (one was actually a 2nd round MLB draft pick in 2006) if they knew who Walter Johnson is, and if so, what is his occupation. All of the guys are in their late 20's/early 30's and none of them knew him. Their occupation guesses included Politician/Senator and NASCAR driver.

I'm not sure that I 100% understand the question, but your average non Pre-War card collectors probably consider the following as "tier 1" HOFers: Ruth, Cobb, Cy Young, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Jackie Robinson, Mantle, Clemente, Mays, Aaron, Nolan Ryan, Henderson, Ripken, Griffey, and Jeter. Basically guys who are known in pop culture. Rose, McGwire, Bonds, and Clemons would count too if they were in.

My best guess for "tier 2" from average fans today could include Yogi Berra, Seaver, Reggie Jackson, Schmidt, Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez, and Mariano Rivera. They might know Wagner for the "million dollar" card but I doubt they know how good he actually was.

***I've had 50+ successful BST transactions as both a buyer and a seller. Please feel free to PM me for references***

Last edited by VoodooChild; 01-30-2022 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-30-2022, 07:33 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooChild View Post
Just for fun, I asked five guys at my gym (one was actually a 2nd round MLB draft pick in 2006) if they knew who Walter Johnson is, and if so, what is his occupation. All of the guys are in their late 20's/early 30's and none of them knew him. Their occupation guesses included Politician/Senator and NASCAR driver.

I'm not sure that I 100% understand the question, but your average non Pre-War card collectors probably consider the following as "tier 1" HOFers: Ruth, Cobb, Cy Young, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Jackie Robinson, Mantle, Clemente, Mays, Aaron, Nolan Ryan, Henderson, Ripken, Griffey, and Jeter. Basically guys who are known in pop culture. Rose, McGwire, Bonds, and Clemons would count too if they were in.

My best guess for "tier 2" from average fans today could include Yogi Berra, Seaver, Reggie Jackson, Schmidt, Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez, and Mariano Rivera. They might know Wagner for the "million dollar" card but I doubt they know how good he actually was.
That is so true about Wagner. I have collected for around 35 years and if not for this site I considered him the Billy Ripken of old cards. A nobody player known for one card.
Old 01-30-2022, 07:33 PM
Se@n Kel.ly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
I know this is an unpopular take on it, but Robinson was historically important largely because he was selected by Branch Rickey to be so. Could've been one of several black ballplayers with superior talent and extreme mental toughness, and there were guys like that who came later, like Doby, Aaron, Mays, Campanella, Newcombe, George Crowe, and later Clemente, Frank, Gibson, and etc.

I'm not taking anything away from Robinson or his historical significance, just saying Rickey was the one who had the ability and the will to break the color line, and he had several viable options. He chose Robinson and it was an excellent choice. But there were other black players, some who were better talent wise.

I won’t argue he was more talented than Ruth, and I don’t think anyone does. I’ll give you Aaron and Mays as well (again I don’t think you’ll get any debate there). I think my claim he is top 20 talent is legitimate. He put up 61 WAR in 10 MLB seasons, under the most extreme pressure a player ever faced, and those years don’t include any of his prime age 22-27 years. His WAR in his 10 seasons beat Joe DiMaggio’s WAR over the last 10 seasons of DiMaggio’s career (which began at age 24). His pioneer status rightfully draws the attention, but Robinson was a much better player than he gets credit for.
Old 01-30-2022, 07:34 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter08 View Post
Mattingly strength makes sense to me - was the Yanks main guy during some tough times for people now in their 40s. Do Doc and Straw get similar love or not from what you’ve seen?
The 80's Mets have a big following as a team, including Doc and Strawberry. They might have the most rapid fanbase of any team. For some reason, Mets lineup cards also seem to show up less than any other team in my experience.
Old 01-30-2022, 09:02 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

I believe that the inner circle is Cobb, Ruth, Wagner, Mays and Aaron. I don’t think a pitcher can be in the inner circle. Next group would include DiMaggio, Williams, Hornsby, Mantle, Jackson, Lajoie, Delahanty, Gehrig, Foxx and Trout.
I think the pitchers have to be grouped separately. Their inner circle would be Young, Johnson and Mathewson.
Old 01-30-2022, 10:21 PM

Kid Nichols seems to be unjustly forgotten. Nine straight years of 27 wins or more. Yes, this was 19th Century, but he was still the best pitcher of his time, aside from Cy Young.
Old 01-30-2022, 10:33 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
I believe that the inner circle is Cobb, Ruth, Wagner, Mays and Aaron. I don’t think a pitcher can be in the inner circle. Next group would include DiMaggio, Williams, Hornsby, Mantle, Jackson, Lajoie, Delahanty, Gehrig, Foxx and Trout.
I think the pitchers have to be grouped separately. Their inner circle would be Young, Johnson and Mathewson.
I struggle with the idea that just 25% of the inner circle HOF have played in the last 85+ years. Major league baseball is 146 years old but 75% of the best players played their entire careers in the first 40% of its lifetime? And just one player in the inner circle or next group debuted in the last 65+ years?

Last edited by Tabe; 01-30-2022 at 10:34 PM.
Old 01-30-2022, 10:44 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

The list would be different if steroid users were included. Then Bonds would have made the inner circle and Aroid the next level.
Old 01-30-2022, 11:09 PM
Rob

My inner sanctum players are the guys I rooted for as a kid. TP Terry Puhl, Jose Cruz, Bob Watson, JR Richard, Cesar Cedeno, etc. Jeff Bagwell and Craig Biggio are not in my inner circle, because they are my age, and I view them as peers, and not heroes.

Here's the top 10 in WAR...(the inner circle)
Ruth
Johnson
Young
Bonds
Mays
Cobb
Aaron
Clemens
Speaker
Wagner

The problem with Bonds, Aaron and Clemens is that they don't have any cool cards to collect.

The story at the gym where no-one knew who Walter Johnson was, was the point I was trying to make about Doncic in the other thread, not that he's not good, he's not famous. George Washington is famous, and even he has a Q-rating of about 44.
Old 01-31-2022, 01:28 AM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
The list would be different if steroid users were included. Then Bonds would have made the inner circle and Aroid the next level.
Ruth and Aaron both used PEDs.
Old 01-31-2022, 07:53 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
The problem with Bonds, Aaron and Clemens is that they don't have any cool cards to collect.
You're joking, right?

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-31-2022 at 08:04 AM.
Old 01-31-2022, 08:33 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungo Hungo View Post
Kid Nichols seems to be unjustly forgotten. Nine straight years of 27 wins or more. Yes, this was 19th Century, but he was still the best pitcher of his time, aside from Cy Young.
Cy Young had the better career ultimately, but Kid Nichols really was the better (best) pitcher in the 19th century, which is really saying something.
Old 01-31-2022, 10:35 AM
Bob Donaldson

Quote:

Robinson broke the color line. None of the others did. Maybe they could have maybe not. But they didn't.

Maybe another guy could have painted the Sistine Chapel. They didn't, Michelangelo did - because the Pope selected him. Perhaps, like Rickey, the Pope knew what he was doing.
Old 01-31-2022, 12:04 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
How is ARod not first tier?

Old 01-31-2022, 12:15 PM
Rob

Quote:
You're joking, right?
Having some fun with the topic, yes.

There was a time when Aaron's 1976 RB was the best card in my collection.

It's almost like they made the list, and created a stat called "WAR" to back it up with a math formula.

15 Alexander
16 Arod
17 Nichols
18 Gehrig
19 Rickey Henderson
20 Ott
21 Mantle
Attached Images
File Type: jpg toppsaaron76rb.jpg (78.2 KB, 320 views)
File Type: jpg toppsbarrybonds87.jpg (76.6 KB, 330 views)
File Type: jpg toppsclemens86.jpg (78.9 KB, 325 views)
Old 01-31-2022, 12:33 PM
M@rk K3mm3rl3

Default 58 First Ballot Hall-of-Famers

David Ortiz became the 58th player elected to the Hall of Fame on the first ballot. Here's a link to the list: https://www.mlb.com/news/first-ballo...ers-c300943350

Why not decide how many you want in your Pantheon and start striking names off this list? It would be the "eyeball test HOF," but maybe also the "vote-with-your-heart HOF" too.

Interesting that, according to the list, there were no first ballot HOFer's between 1936 and 1962. Can this be true? Not DiMaggio?

Answer in supplementary article from MLB on ten greats not selected on first ballot: https://www.mlb.com/news/hall-of-fam...t-first-ballot
Old 01-31-2022, 01:03 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroac View Post
David Ortiz became the 58th player elected to the Hall of Fame on the first ballot. Here's a link to the list: https://www.mlb.com/news/first-ballo...ers-c300943350

Why not decide how many you want in your Pantheon and start striking names off this list? It would be the "eyeball test HOF," but maybe also the "vote-with-your-heart HOF" too.

Interesting that, according to the list, there were no first ballot HOFer's between 1936 and 1962. Can this be true? Not DiMaggio?

Answer in supplementary article from MLB on ten greats not selected on first ballot: https://www.mlb.com/news/hall-of-fam...t-first-ballot
I think during those years it was just some obnoxious tradition. Hornsby didn't get in for 5 years or so for example. DiMaggio 4. Grove 4. Of course back then, players were eligible once they retired.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 01-31-2022 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-31-2022, 01:13 PM
Fred

How "tight" is the "inner-circle" supposed to be? I look at any player that has reached the basic milestones (500HRs, 3000H, 300W) are inner-circle. I'm sure other milestone criteria could be used. I suppose PED users are considered if you don't mind adding them.

Then there are those that haven't hit any of the milestones like Gehrig or DiMaggio that some might consider for their inner-circle.

Bottom line, it would be fun to put together a survey of this board to see who their top 50 or even 100 players are. Provide a rank number and the end result would be the highest ranking players. My guess is that a lot of the players selected by the old veterans committee wouldn't make the cut.
Old 01-31-2022, 01:30 PM
Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post

Bottom line, it would be fun to put together a survey of this board to see who their top 50 or even 100 players are. Provide a rank number and the end result would be the highest ranking players.
This could be fun. Not sure of order, but off the top of my head, my top ten would be Cobb, Ruth, Mays, WaJo, Aaron, Bonds, Wagner, Ted Williams, Clemens, Gehrig.

Chad
T215 Type 1 Red Cross Walter Johnson
1914 Texas Tommy Type 1 Walter Johnson
1923-24 Billiken Pop Lloyd
1924-25 Aguilitas #846 and #870 Pop Lloyd
1923-24 Billiken or Tomas Gutierrez Oliver "Ghost" Marcell
1923-24 Billiken or Tomas Gutierrez Dobie Moore
1924-25 Aguilitas #874 Dobie Moore
Old 01-31-2022, 01:53 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by obcbobd View Post
Robinson broke the color line. None of the others did. Maybe they could have maybe not. But they didn't.

Maybe another guy could have painted the Sistine Chapel. They didn't, Michelangelo did - because the Pope selected him. Perhaps, like Rickey, the Pope knew what he was doing.
Your analogy is flawed because the Sistine Chapel's fame is 100% due to the skill employed by the best artisan of the day... not because it was painted. Integration is a watershed moment in baseball because somebody did it.

If Rickey chooses to make Campanella the guy to break the color line, Robinson would be a borderline HOFer. Roy won 3 MVP awards and was the better player, and that's just one example.
Old 01-31-2022, 02:27 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Your analogy is flawed because the Sistine Chapel's fame is 100% due to the skill employed by the best artisan of the day... not because it was painted. Integration is a watershed moment in baseball because somebody did it.

If Rickey chooses to make Campanella the guy to break the color line, Robinson would be a borderline HOFer. Roy won 3 MVP awards and was the better player, and that's just one example.
Interestingly, I believe he had only one season in the Negro Leagues (at age 26) before Rickey chose him, is that right? So it's hard to say his Dodgers stats are that misleading unlike Campy who had a number of Negro League seasons that would have enhanced his career stats.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 01-31-2022 at 02:29 PM.