NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-28-2021, 12:29 PM
John

Default Bond Bread again.

Bond Bread again. I am no expert, but we as collectors have merged 3 maybe 4 separate bb cards issued at different times. We call 3 totally different and separate issued bb cars from 1947 and call them all Bond Bread, D 305.
First, we have the 1947 Jackie Robinson 13 set issue, distributed by Bond Bread. These ars squared cards, but the image on the cards are round...rounded corners inside a white squared card. The backs have Bond Bread advertisement.
The second set is the 1947 48 card set, these cards have rounded corners that came in Bond Homogenized Bread. Nothing on the backs of the cards.
The third is the 1947 24 set, squared corners and printed on thinker stock, nothing on backs, distributor unknow, most likely dispensed in arcades. Some of the images on the 24 and 48 bb cards sets are the same. But they are different issues for sure. I say the 24 set are not counterfeited like some say. Facks and reprints come in all bb cards. But if you were going to make a fake...you would come close as possible to the originals, not have squared coroners or on thinker stock.
As to the 80s set, on square edge cards, supposedly a stash of uncut cards from 1947, could be reprinted, but not fake or counterfeited, they would have had to be printed from an original photostat. The 24 squared 1947 bb cards and the 1980s set could be unlicensed issues.
ok, we need to come up with 4 totally total different ways to distinguish them. I believe the only true Bond Bread cards are the 1947 Jackie Robinson set distributed by Bond Bread. And the 1947 Bond Homogenized Bread bb cards that came in the bread itself. Why not call the 1947 squared 24 set an unknown set, like 1947 squared unknown set. And the 1980s, 1980 set unknown. people who know a whole lot more than me can fix this. They all cannot be distinguished D 305 cards...oh what about the premiums of the lager size sets?
Old 10-28-2021, 12:44 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Not exactly knowing which one of these shelf items fit here. So you have options:

On a serious note, I would like to know too as I have the Festberg find set (24) (that is what I'm gonna call it for now.).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FloodgatesPandorasboxCanofworms_t658.jpg (78.0 KB, 420 views)

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.

Last edited by butchie_t; 10-28-2021 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-28-2021, 01:47 PM
Jim McKinley

Default Clarity

I think getting clarity on this would be extremely helpful. Especially if it were accepted widely.

I am trying to but together a set of the 1947 set (original, rounded corners) and prices and claims of what is what are all over the place because of this confusion.

As a side note, I am also putting together at 1947 Tip Top Bread set which also was put in loaves of bread. I can tell you that there are WAAAAYYYYYY to many high condition, square cut cards to know they were not distributed in loaves of bread. Almost all of the available Tip Top cards are PSA grade 1-2 worthy....
Old 11-02-2021, 01:27 PM

Default 1947 Bond

John describes the sets accurately.

There were square cut cards issued in 1947. Here are three; original owner cards, obtained - probably through vending or bread - in Queens, New York, in 1947.

The group photo shows a better look at the worn, but square corners.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tibbitts.jpg (62.8 KB, 336 views)
File Type: jpg Holmes.jpg (69.4 KB, 337 views)
File Type: jpg Robinson.jpg (56.9 KB, 336 views)
File Type: jpg Unknown-4.jpg (21.2 KB, 328 views)

Last edited by Webster; 11-02-2021 at 01:34 PM.
Old 02-03-2022, 08:00 AM
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster View Post

There were square cut cards issued in 1947. Here are three; original owner cards, obtained - probably through vending or bread - in Queens, New York, in 1947.

I have black and white photos of these, and I do have some of the same baseball cards shown here to match the photos. Very cool, John.
Old 02-06-2022, 04:11 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster View Post

It seems all of the Bond Bread cards are getting some recognition lately. They are all great but I personally prefer the rounded corner ones. I think Teddy Z pulled some out of the loaves .

Old 02-06-2022, 08:28 PM
Cris T

Default 1947 Bond Bread

I am enjoying building this set- all SGC graded. I am a little more then half way completed.

I was not aware this set existed until a friend of my father bought a storage locker with some random cards in a small box. He gave them to me and I thought they were very cool. Rounded corners, clean backs, many important players first cards pre bowman ( Robinson, Musial, Berra,Rizzuto) and other significant hall of fame players ( DiMaggio, Feller, Williams, Reese, Hodges). I am enjoying building the commons as well- however low populations make it tough. I submitted the ones given to me an received mid to high grades on most.

I also have about thirty or forty of the Hollywood cards issued with rounded corners if anyone collects. These are actors and signers from the 1940’s

If anyone is building the set I have a few extra commons slabbed SGC if needed.