NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-01-2021, 09:33 AM
Eric Perry

Default eBay bid retractions

eBay will soon be changing their policy. They will not allow bid retractions without seller approval.

Interesting news

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 06-01-2021, 09:38 AM
pete ullman

I just saw that...big deal! Buyer can still just not pay leaving seller to cxl bid/auction and start over with basically no repercussions to “buyer?”
Old 06-01-2021, 09:48 AM
Eric Perry

Here's the message:

"We’re updating our bid retraction policy for Sports Trading Cards, Non-Sports Trading Cards, and Collectible Card Games auctions. Starting June 30, 2021, buyers will no longer have the ability to retract bids on trading cards auctions without seller approval. Sellers’ decisions to accept or reject auction bid retraction requests will be final.

How the new auction bid retraction policy will work
Starting June 30, if you want to retract an auction bid, you will need to contact the seller via messaging on eBay and request a retraction. The seller, at their sole discretion, will be able to accept or decline your retraction request. If the seller does not accept your request, your bid can still win or lose the auction, and you will be required to make payment on any winning bid you submit. We also inform buyers on our "Bid Retraction Policy" page that "a bid is a binding contract."

As previously communicated, as of April 2021, if an item goes unpaid by the 5th calendar day, the seller may cancel the order due to non-payment. Regularly missing payments may impact your account. Check out our Unpaid Item Policy to learn more.

We appreciate your support and willingness to work with this new policy as we anticipate our trading cards policy update will make eBay a more trusted and fairer marketplace for all.

As always, thank you for buying on eBay.
The eBay Team"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg retraction.jpg (54.5 KB, 469 views)

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 06-01-2021, 09:55 AM
Johnny MaZilli

This will only work if the seller is Ethical. It takes two to tango...to me this is just rudimentary banter....the real issue to me is with what the seller allows.
Old 06-01-2021, 10:04 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
This will only work if the seller is Ethical. It takes two to tango...to me this is just rudimentary banter....the real issue to me is with what the seller allows.
But now you will know if the seller is involved in the retractions beforehand. Sort of colluding in a way. A seller won't have the defense of not knowing or being able to deal with it, any longer.

Last edited by Leon; 06-01-2021 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-01-2021, 10:06 AM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
But now you will know if the seller is involved in the retractions beforehand. Sort of colluding in a way. A seller won't have the defense of not knowing or being able to deal with it, any longer.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

This

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 06-01-2021, 10:30 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Leon I hope So !!! We all have strong circumstantial evidence in-fact that Colluding has happened before with one certain ebay sellers. Wasn't there a email found by one of these sellers a few years ago telling a bidder to take the high bid???

Last edited by Johnny630; 06-01-2021 at 10:31 AM.
Old 06-01-2021, 12:37 PM
$cott Cl1nt0n

Quote:
Is that still true if the bidders identities are hidden? Does a retraction show on those type of auctions?
Old 06-01-2021, 01:09 PM
Chris Kim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I just saw that...big deal! Buyer can still just not pay leaving seller to cxl bid/auction and start over with basically no repercussions to “buyer?”
^^^ +1

Someone who have 100% positive feedback rating won my auction but when I clicked and looked into feedback details, that buyer doesn't pay all the time and many netural feedbacks from other sellers. I have no idea why eBay still let that buyer bid. Waste of my time to deal with all those aftermath for non-payer.

Last edited by chriskim; 06-01-2021 at 01:13 PM.
Old 06-01-2021, 01:41 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskim View Post

...and many netural feedbacks from other sellers...
I didn't realize sellers could leave neutral feedback. For a while now, sellers could only leave a positive or report the buyer. Has eBay changed this as well?

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 06-01-2021, 01:49 PM
Robert J. Miller

If the buyer want to retract a bid and is not allowed by the seller, the buyer can pay, claim item not as described, request return and leave negative feedback.
So what does this new policy accomplish
Thanks,
Bob
Old 06-01-2021, 04:00 PM

Default Payback :

can you say the the buyer sent back an empty envelope ?

Old 06-01-2021, 04:35 PM
Robert J. Miller

can you say the the buyer sent back an empty envelope ?

Sure I guess so. But ebay always sides with the seller don't they?
Old 06-01-2021, 05:50 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

So the guys on Blowout have mentioned that this should at least minimize the risk of "bid shielding", the process where an expensive item can be won cheaply by two bidders colluding with each other. For example, a $1000 has an initial bid of $100. Bidder B bids $2500 on it. Bidder C bids $2600 on it. At the close of the auction, bidder B retracts their $2500 bid, and Bidder C has the leading bid with only a $105 bid (one increment over the initial bid). Time runs out on the auction.
I don't think it's a widespread problem, but I have read about it happening a lot more with the basketball snearkerboi price runup over the past year or two.

But my real question is, "Why just the sportscard category?" Guess all those ice cream collector shill bidders can still retract, right?
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 06-01-2021, 07:13 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
But my real question is, "Why just the sportscard category?"
This was my initial reaction was well. It's a change for the better, but what justification could there be for a basic bidding policy to be limited to certain categories?
Old 06-02-2021, 05:16 AM
Chris Kim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
I didn't realize sellers could leave neutral feedback. For a while now, sellers could only leave a positive or report the buyer. Has eBay changed this as well?

Sorry.. my bad. They were "positive" feedbacks but with "negative" contents. LOL

This means the feedback rating is completely useless since sellers want to express their feelings but have to leave them as "positive" feedbacks.

BTW, that buyer was "braqwaku99"

Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 6.13.30 AM.jpg

^^^^ sorry, the screencapture shows up so bad... not sure how to fix it. sorry

Last edited by chriskim; 06-02-2021 at 05:17 AM.
Old 06-02-2021, 10:18 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

We usually call those "false positives" and those are actually against ebay policy and can be erased and the sellers reprimanded if the buyer brings them up to ebay...
Better to open cases properly (back when you did) and have them hit with a NPB (non- paying bidder) strike, because sellers could then restrict to buyers with minimal NPBs on their record. Of course, bidders can make a bunch of accounts, which ebay also allows.
They are masters at attempting to do stuff, while not actually solving any problems.

And their sports card optimization changes they made last week were just terrible changes for no reason. They broke things which were working properly just because they could.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.

Last edited by swarmee; 06-02-2021 at 10:19 AM.