NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-19-2023, 12:52 PM
ja.mes na.higian

Default What to do when an eBay "expensive" card does not pass their "review" ?

I doubt this has happened to many, any. A month ago I won a card on eBay.
It was a 4SC's auction that closed for about $450. One card, a 1980 Rickey RC in PSA 8.5. To my eye, it had a chance to become a 9. (perhaps another in the "process" may have seen this, too?). After almost 3 full weeks of waiting, and without receiving any notification from eBay, 4SC, PSA, or anyone.....other than an email from AMEX after 23 days since payment, did I begin to figure this all out. Initially, I had no idea what the refund was for. It took my own investigation to figure it out. When I realized it was the Rickey card, I immed contacted Nicole (mgr) at 4SC. She confirmed that eBay had informed 4SC the card DID NOT PASS. No reason why. Nicole said this was the 1st and only time a card was rejected in this asinine process.

My beefs are several:

1. How come nobody (other than AMEX) contacted me?
2. How come this received an 8.5 by PSA about 3/4 years ago (cert # was high 4's), and that could not be verified today?
3. How come NOBODY knows or DISCLOSES why this was rejected? Of course the seller and/or consignor want to, need to know WHY. Of course, me as the buyer wants to know WHY.

Zero communication whatsoever. Pathetic. Just like the thought that every PSA card over $300 - $400 on eBay needs to be reverified. If such is the case, the entire claim that PSA GRADING VERIFIES and CERTIFIES that the card is REAL and UNALTERED is down the toilet.

Anyone else seen an eBay "verification" rejected?
Old 02-19-2023, 01:18 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Just curious do you have a photo of the card front and back from the listing? If so could you post it?

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 02-19-2023, 01:30 PM

"Certification number 14151601 has been temporarily DEACTIVATED as a precaution due to its use on a known counterfeit in the market. Please contact the Customer Request Center (CRC) at PSACRC@collectors.com if you own the item or call (800) 325-1121 for further information."
Old 02-19-2023, 01:46 PM
Ed.gar Pim.entel

I don’t understand the problem. You were saved from buying a counterfeit. There were 2 cards that I bought that failed authenticity. Both times, 1) I received an email stating the card failed and 2) in the purchase history it stated a claim was opened and closed in my favor.

Last edited by EddieP; 02-19-2023 at 01:53 PM.
Old 02-19-2023, 01:49 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55koufax View Post
I doubt this has happened to many, any. A month ago I won a card on eBay.
It was a 4SC's auction that closed for about $450. One card, a 1980 Rickey RC in PSA 8.5. To my eye, it had a chance to become a 9. (perhaps another in the "process" may have seen this, too?). After almost 3 full weeks of waiting, and without receiving any notification from eBay, 4SC, PSA, or anyone.....other than an email from AMEX after 23 days since payment, did I begin to figure this all out. Initially, I had no idea what the refund was for. It took my own investigation to figure it out. When I realized it was the Rickey card, I immed contacted Nicole (mgr) at 4SC. She confirmed that eBay had informed 4SC the card DID NOT PASS. No reason why. Nicole said this was the 1st and only time a card was rejected in this asinine process.

My beefs are several:

1. How come nobody (other than AMEX) contacted me?
2. How come this received an 8.5 by PSA about 3/4 years ago (cert # was high 4's), and that could not be verified today?
3. How come NOBODY knows or DISCLOSES why this was rejected? Of course the seller and/or consignor want to, need to know WHY. Of course, me as the buyer wants to know WHY.

Zero communication whatsoever. Pathetic. Just like the thought that every PSA card over $300 - $400 on eBay needs to be reverified. If such is the case, the entire claim that PSA GRADING VERIFIES and CERTIFIES that the card is REAL and UNALTERED is down the toilet.

Anyone else seen an eBay "verification" rejected?
They look at the card as well as the holder. Its possible the slab was damaged or showed signs of tampering.
Old 02-19-2023, 01:53 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
They look at the card as well as the holder. Its possible the slab was damaged or showed signs of tampering.
I think he posted about this a week or so ago and it was from a severely scratched up slab.
Old 02-19-2023, 02:23 PM
Howard Chasser

Default differentiate?

I understand your frustration with your experience of what sounds like grossly poor communication and that I agree is unacceptable.

I would be careful about throwing the baby out with the bath water. As a long time Ebay user, I support the authenticity verification process as both a seller and buyer. For the price (for now) of a little extra delivery time the program gives buyers an added level of protection. While it would be nice to know what was up with the card you bought, I encourage you to think about it as Ebay saved you from buying a card that wasn't what it was advertised as.

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 02-19-2023, 02:38 PM
Mike

I'd gladly take the refund instead of being stuck with a counterfeit card. The process is good and working for the collector. I agree more communication would have been appropriate. This gives me more confidence when buying expensive cards on ebay.
Old 02-19-2023, 03:21 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Why is everyone completely ignoring the fact that NO ONE told the OP that the card was (possibly?) a counterfeit??? That is the issue here!! No communication whatsoever.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 02-19-2023, 03:27 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Why is everyone completely ignoring the fact that NO ONE told the OP that the card was (possibly?) a counterfeit??? That is the issue here!! No communication whatsoever.
Because nobody has said that card was counterfeit. Do you know something the rest of us doesn't?

EDIT: OP says serial # started with a 4. Post 3 shows a cert # starting with a 1. So not sure they are the same card but the one in post 3 was sold by 4sharpcorners.

Last edited by bnorth; 02-19-2023 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-19-2023, 04:42 PM
ja.mes na.higian

Default If the slab was the issue....

Wouldn't one assume PSA would just re-holder it? Or, shouldn't I as the buyer been made aware the slab was the issue? I may have opted just to pay to have it re-holdered?

Quote:
Bingo.....my loudest complaint was ZERO communication. I still do not know if the card was counterfeited, altered, or ______?
Old 02-19-2023, 05:55 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

As advertised, in the graded card program, PSA does not look at the card at all. They wouldn’t rule the card is a counterfeit at all. They only look at the slab (including their competitors) to rule if the slab passes the vague standards of the program. A fake slab gets rejected, there seem to be conflicting reports on what damage to a slab can pass or not.

If it is a fake slab, I totally get the rejections. But as I crack cards out anyways, the damaged slab issue is one of several reasons I more and more do deals off eBay I would have previously done through them. I don’t need an incompetent grading entity to approve whether or not I can buy a card, especially when their rulings are predicated on parts I will literally throw in the garbage.
Old 02-19-2023, 06:34 PM
Chad

I've noticed some of the big power sellers have left ebay after the verification process was put in place. Kinda has me wondering why some have left?

Last edited by Vintage Vern; 02-19-2023 at 06:36 PM.
Old 02-19-2023, 06:42 PM
Ma.tt Whi.te

Sounds like something is wrong with your ebay emails.

You get emails when a card passes/fails authentication. You get emails when you are refunded.
Old 02-19-2023, 06:45 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55koufax View Post

Bingo.....my loudest complaint was ZERO communication. I still do not know if the card was counterfeited, altered, or ______?
Have you checked your spam folders? ALL of your mail addresses? Last time somebody was on here complaining about not getting emails related to the authentication program, they actually had and just didn't see them.
Old 02-19-2023, 06:53 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

I too have not get any messages in ebay, email alerts to my junk or spam or inbox for the email registered to the account and for which all other eBay memos are sent, or app notifications that a card or slab passed or failed certification. I see it when the tracking moves on and it starts to actually go to me. I don’t have much of a problem with this, but this seems to happen to a lot of accounts.