NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-19-2022, 04:54 AM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Default PSA "Collections"

is there a special requirement for getting a specific collection name on PSA slabs? Can anyone send in 520 t206 cards and ask it be deemed the "XYZ collection"? Or, do you have to be registered on the PSA registry as a top rated collection first.

I always wondered how this works.

Thanks.
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Collecting: T206

Monster #236
Old 10-19-2022, 06:09 AM

It is my understanding that PSA (and SGC) will only slab finds or collections that cannot be fluid. I wanted them to slab my t206 524 set and they would not bc it’s not retired and I could always upgrade or downgrade, which I have done. Thus, it is generally only reserved to denote provenance when facts can never anc will never change with respect to the cards slabbed
Old 10-19-2022, 06:47 AM
Ton.y Be.ll

If that's the case it sounds like PSA and SGC are missing out on some extra money. I would consider a personal label for some of my cards (probably not all) depending on price. Especially on big name cards such as Wagner, Plank, Cobb(s) and variations Doyle, Magie, O'Hara, Demmitt

PSA and SGC could easily charge $5.00 per card to add the "xyz collection" to a label

But its not like PSA needs the extra workload though...

Collecting:
1909-1911 T206 Southern Leaguers (Alabama)
1914 Cracker Jack Set (91 out of 145)

Last edited by Kidnapped18; 10-19-2022 at 06:51 AM. Reason: Wagner-Demmitt
Old 10-20-2022, 04:41 AM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
It is my understanding that PSA (and SGC) will only slab finds or collections that cannot be fluid.
Thank you, Ryan
does this mean you have to consign the cards and have the auction house send the cards to PSA for slabbing with "XYX collection"? Otherwise, I do not understand how to guarantee a collection will not change-
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Collecting: T206

Monster #236
Old 10-20-2022, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar_Stanage View Post
Thank you, Ryan
does this mean you have to consign the cards and have the auction house send the cards to PSA for slabbing with "XYX collection"? Otherwise, I do not understand how to guarantee a collection will not change-
I don't think that will do it. Getting a name or special label on a flip is kind of analogous to an athlete having their number retired by their team -- it is intended only for the super or highly unique/special. Not every (or any) player can just have their number retired and not every TPG customer can have their name put on the flips of their submissions.

Putting the name of the find or prior owner on the flip is intended for the super special -- a (usually deceased) pioneer collector whose collection is being redistributed to the public by sale (Burdick, Carter, etc), a crazy find where special cards are newly introduced into the hobby (Black Swamp, Lucky 7), or where the card or the prior owner is so special that designating its name/the owner's name adds prestige to the card, the TPG, and the Hobby (Charlie Sheen or naming a T206 Wagner, like the Gretzky Wagner, Connecticut Wagner, Nunn's Wagner).

While you can ask, and certainly an AH can ask on your behalf, I believe it is highly unlikely that a TPG will put the name of a garden-variety collector (like all of us on this board) on their flips. Even if we are willing to pay for it.
Old 10-20-2022, 09:48 AM
Peter Spaeth

It might be a revenue opportunity, but I could also see it hurting card values. If the name (e.g. Lionel Carter) really means something that's one thing, but who wants to buy a card with a flip saying Joe Smith Collection? I'd pay less for that for sure if there was a choice.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-20-2022, 09:58 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

I get the idea of provenance being important in rare situations. Heck, the Rosen Mantle probably should get a special notation on the flip, just so we don't all forget about it!

But outside of those rare situations, it seems a bit silly to me. The previous #1 Master Mays set did go through this process, to get all of his items labeled with the "Willie Mays Fan Club Collection". It looks like the collector was Rick Kendall. And I have seen some secondary sellers attempt to market that as a benefit, although I'm not sure that it has really been all that meaningful.

I also have no idea how Rick managed to convince PSA that it was worthy of labeling all of his items this way. But since every thread needs a card, here's one for you, with that collection label:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2022-05-07-16-07-44-01_original.jpg (144.2 KB, 81 views)

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel