NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-05-2017, 08:57 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Default Looking for some guidance...Ruth, Cobb, Mantle or Aaron???

I am likely coming in to some cash in the next month or two and I'd like to treat myself to a card as a reward for my efforts. The most I've ever spent on a card is about $400 (twice). As background, I'm working on a T205 set (average SGC 40/PSA 3), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 mostly but some 6's), 1956 Topps (PSA 5 & raw) and Diamond Stars as my big sets...so here are my choices in no order:

- T205 Cobb in a 3
- 1954 Aaron in a 6 or nice 5
- 1956 Mantle in a 5/6
- Goudey Ruth (I know, but it's Ruth!). ???
- something else (T205 Joss, DS hi #'s, '54 Topps Williams pair)???

Not sure this kind of opportunity will come along again. Or at least for a while. In the interest of staying happily married, I want to stay around $2000. What say ye???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:21 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Ruth
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:22 PM
Steve Birmingham

I don't think you could go far wrong with any of those choices.

The Cobb is probably the hardest of the three to find, so I'd probably go with that one, unless what's available are very average threes and there's a really nice example of one of the others.

--------------

Which reminds me how far the hobby and my collecting tastes have come. When I started, 2k would have bought all of those with loads left over. Did I buy the big stars or cards in really nice condition --- Not usually.
With all I've learned do I do that now? Only once in a while

Steve B
Old 09-05-2017, 09:23 PM
Peter Spaeth

Ruth. Period. Get the best Ruth you can afford. Personally I like the Sport Kings a lot and I believe they are priced at quite a discount to the Goudeys.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-05-2017 at 09:26 PM.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:52 PM
Frank Evanov

Default Babe

Definitely the Ruth. Make sure it is high end for the grade.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:01 PM
Ben North

Buy whatever your dream card is in the best condition you can find for the $ you have.

I also recently ran into some extra cash. Instead of one big purchase(Wade Boggs Bat for me) I ended up buying several lesser priced items. I am very happy with my choice and hope you are also happy with whatever you purchase.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:07 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Buy whatever your dream card is in the best condition you can find for the $ you have.

I also recently ran into some extra cash. Instead of one big purchase(Wade Boggs Bat for me) I ended up buying several lesser priced items. I am very happy with my choice and hope you are also happy with whatever you purchase.

What'd ya get??? This would be my Diamond Stars approach...

I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:15 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Six View Post
What'd ya get??? This would be my Diamond Stars approach...

Weirdly a lot of stuff I normally don't collect. Autographs like Ted Williams, Eddie Mathews, Bob Feller and several others. A bunch of modern rookie cards and modern game used cards. A few error cards, these I normally collect. Added another T210 to my collection and a few more odd ball items.

Then to make the wife happy I spent around $400 on paint and painted our garage.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:24 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Weirdly a lot of stuff I normally don't collect. Autographs like Ted Williams, Eddie Mathews, Bob Feller and several others. A bunch of modern rookie cards and modern game used cards. A few error cards, these I normally collect. Added another T210 to my collection and a few more odd ball items.

Then to make the wife happy I spent around $400 on paint and painted our garage.

Nicely done...seems I could go that way, too. Anyone else?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-06-2017, 07:25 AM
rob.ert int.rieri

Cobb