NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-06-2017, 08:24 PM
Mikeknapp

Default Sept 1, 1971 Pirates

I cannot accurately state how excited I am to add this program to my 1971 Pirate collection. A ticket stub to September 1, 1971 has long been on my short list of items I hunt for. There were only 11,278 fan in attendance that day. I have searched for that stub for years with little hope of obtaining it.

I never dreamed I would obtain a scored program from that date. Let alone a copy in such spectacular condition . It was listed with 12 other Pirate programs from 1971 – 1975. These programs were not dated. 46 years ago the original owner wrote the dates on the covers for me and the seller included them in the listing. I said “for me” because I really believe that crazy statement. I was meant to own this program.

How many of those 11,278 patrons actually bought a program that day? How many of those fans bothered to keep score? This fan scored it (and the other 12) so meticulously he actually included the attendance and the umpiring crew. This game is a perfect summation of my passion for this team. They were a special kind of cool. At a time when we are so divided as a nation we need to look to such examples as the 1971 Pirates. I have copied and pasted the story of this game below. Thanks for indulging me.

By Charlie Vascellaro / Special to MLB.com | September 1st, 2011
On Sept. 1, 1971, twenty four seasons after Jackie Robinson officially broke baseball's color barrier, the Pirates became the first Major League franchise to field an all-minority starting nine. Witnessed by just 11,278 fans in attendance, the game did not receive a great deal of recognition at the time.
"I don't think I've been asked to talk about that team as much in the last 40 years as I have been this year," said Oliver, who was honored recently at a gala event in Pittsburgh, along with other members of the 1971 Pirates, by the Josh Gibson Foundation in conjunction with the 100th anniversary of the great Negro Leagues slugger's birth. "In the '30s [Gibson's time], it would have been totally impossible in most people's minds to believe what happened in 1971. If you were living in the '40s, you wouldn't have believed it," said Oliver.

The 1971 Pirates team boasted three future Hall of Famers in Stargell, Clemente and Bill Mazeroski, as well as All-Stars in catcher Manny Sanguillen and pitcher Dock Ellis.

"The Pirates were known for their black and Latin players, and of course on that particular team, we were loaded," said Oliver. "I don't know how many we had on the 1971 team, but if I had to guess, maybe 11 or 12 black and Latin players. As a rule, we would start five -- if Dock pitched, then it would be six."

The Pirates' regular starting lineup in 1971 would have Sanguillen behind the plate, Bob Robertson at first, Dave Cash at second, Richie Hebner at third, Gene Alley at short, Stargell in left field, Oliver in center and Clemente in right.

But on this day, playing at home against the Philadelphia Phillies, Hebner and Alley were both nursing injuries, and -- for reasons obscured by time -- Robertson, who played first base during each of the 126 games he appeared in that season, was also on the bench.

"The key to that whole night is that Woody Fryman was pitching for Philadelphia," said Oliver. "He was a left-hander. At that time, on occasions, [manager] Danny Murtaugh would platoon a player like me. But on that night, for whatever reason, I played first base and Bob Robertson, who usually played against all left-handers, did not play.

"It really wasn't a major thing, until around the third or fourth inning, and Dave Cash was sitting next to me and one of us said: 'You know, we got all brothers out there, man,' and we kind of chuckled because it was no big deal to us. We really had no idea that history was being made."

Sanguillen was also on hand for the Josh Gibson Centennial and Negro Leagues Gala, and enthusiastically recalled the events of Sept. 1, 1971.
"We were like the Bingo Long All-Stars that day against Philadelphia," said Sanguillen in reference to the 1976 movie about life in the Negro Leagues.
"Woody Fryman was pitching for them and Dock Ellis was pitching for us," added Sanguillen, who hit a home run and single in four at-bats with two RBIs and two runs scored in the Pirates' 10-7 victory. "They scored [two] runs [in the top of the first], we scored five [in the bottom], then they scored [four] more [in the top of the second] and we scored five more and won the game."
Ellis was tagged for five runs (three of them earned), giving up two hits and four walks. He was removed from the game with one out in the top of the second inning.

Although next-day game stories mentioning the Pirates' historic first are hard to come by -- workers at the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette were on strike from May 15 to September 19 -- The Sporting News did include this brief account of the game in its September 18th edition: What is believed to be the first all-Negro starting lineup in major league history turned back the Phillies on September 1. Manager Danny Murtaugh's combination of American and Latin Negroes pounded out 13 hits en route to a 10-7 victory.

Center fielder Gene Clines thought Pittsburgh had started nine Negroes before.
"This is the first time," slugger Willie Stargell said. "Back in 1967, in Philadelphia, Harry Walker started eight of us, but the pitcher, Denny Ribant, was white."

Ironically, it took six innings of strong relief by Luke Walker, a Caucasian from Texas, to quiet the Phillies, Walker followed starter Dock Ellis, Bob Moose and Bob Veale to the mound.

Stargell was correct in noting that it was the first time the Pirates had fielded and all-minority nine, but it was not actually the first time Murtaugh had written such a lineup.

Former Philadelphia Phillies slugger Dick Allen recalled a barnstorming Spring Training game scheduled to be played between the same two teams in Asheville, N.C., in 1963. Murtaugh had a heated argument with a representative of the local Chamber of Commerce who told him he could not put nine black players on the field.

"I can still see the tobacco juice flyin' out of Danny's mouth and going all over this guy's shirt," said Allen, to author Cal Fussman for his oral history book "After Jackie." "At first, Danny said that he didn't know it was an all-black lineup till they told him. But he didn't want to change it, and that's when the tobacco juice started flyin'"

Eight years later, when Murtaugh wrote his historic lineup against the Phillies, the next day's Philadelphia Evening Bulletin ran the headline "Pirates Starters All Black" and quoted Murtaugh as saying, "When it comes to making out the lineup, I'm color blind and my athletes know it. They don't know it because I told them, but they know it because they are familiar with the way I operate."
"With our team, you could put all the names into a hat, draw out nine and still be all right," said Cash.

Murtaugh's color blindness in writing the Pirates' lineup every day was a natural progression and part of Major League Baseball's evolution, reflective in a team whose roster at the time was comprised of 14 whites, six African-Americans and seven Latinos.

"It was a good thing to hear what Danny Murtaugh said after the game, and there's no doubt in my mind that he meant that," said Oliver.
"He could play hunches as well as any manager that I played for. He might start a guy that hadn't played in two or three weeks. He may have had a hunch that a guy may do well against a certain pitcher. Whether it was a hunch that night or whatever you want to call it, it was baseball history."

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-...d=197109010PIT
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cover.jpg (74.2 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg phils.jpg (77.8 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg pirates.jpg (77.2 KB, 167 views)

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)
Old 12-06-2017, 08:34 PM
Dewey St. Germaine

Great pick up Mike! I'd love to get a ticket stub to this game too.

I loved the documentary that was done about this historic game.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:45 PM

Really glad you found that program.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:34 PM

Great pick up Mike!
Old 12-06-2017, 09:35 PM
J0n@th@n P@rker

Really nice pick up. Found its way to the right collection.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:47 PM
Mikeknapp

Thanks guys I got very lucky

If you have any 1971 Pirate regular season game stubs (home or away games) please let me know what have!

1971 Pirates Game used bats Collection 18/18 (100%)
Old 12-07-2017, 10:47 AM
Tom D

that is a super find - very jealous

Congratulations!
Old 12-07-2017, 12:01 PM

Default Congrats

Fantastic item Mike. It found the perfect home.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:21 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Just learned something new today. Great job.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:17 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

I've had that ticket on my want list.

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears
Old 12-07-2017, 04:01 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgwirecom View Post
I've had that ticket on my want list.
And I've had that scored program on mine.

Congrats Mike.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:19 PM

Very cool
Old 12-07-2017, 06:05 PM
M@rk Comer

Just an awesome pickup. Love seeing this type of stuff.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:24 AM
Mike

Fantastic piece Mike. I love seeing anything from 1971 as it's my birth year.

Mike