NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-07-2014, 06:20 PM
Michael calv.ello

Default I need help to identify old ny rangers hockey team photos

I purchased this original ny rangers team photo from a collector who told me that it's from 1934. Don't know much about early hockey teams. Is there a way to identify this photo to an exact date by the sweaters/uniform the players are wearing? Thank you again for all information net54 members can provide me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2267.jpg (75.6 KB, 457 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2267 2.jpg (84.1 KB, 458 views)
Old 10-07-2014, 06:34 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

7th from left looks like Charles Comiskey.

Ken
Old 10-07-2014, 07:00 PM
Belltown Vintage

Joe Jackson was in that area once during the 15-year window when that photo was taken. And no one can prove that he didn't visit local hockey teams and pose in their team photos.

Hoping H & S isn't searching these posts looking for more rare consignments.

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk
Old 10-07-2014, 09:38 PM
Jim Murphy

It is not a photo of the New York Rangers.

Rangers yes but not the professional team
Old 10-07-2014, 09:43 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

I agree with Jim.
NY Rangers didn't wear uniforms like that.
A search of Google, that you could've done, shows many team photos from that year. All of the ones I saw have the uniforms like the photo below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 193435_lg.jpg (79.4 KB, 426 views)

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 10-07-2014, 11:01 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Photo looked like it was taken in Lake Placid NY Quick search shows that 7 continents antiques a year ago posted this photo as NY rangers in Lake placid 1934. I agree looks like lake placid but players look way to old to be pro hockey team. I would start my search with hockey teams in or near lake placid with Ranger name. Good luck
Old 10-08-2014, 03:08 AM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
7th from left looks like Charles Comiskey.

Ken
Do the ears match??
Old 10-08-2014, 05:35 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnaz01 View Post
Do the ears match??
No, but I gave him double points for hand-in-glove placement!
Old 10-08-2014, 07:37 AM
Jim Murphy

which one is Lester
Old 10-08-2014, 09:48 AM
Howard Chasser

Default This photo IS the NY Rangers!!!!! Unquestionably!

The photo is from Lake Placid (NY) and they are clearly wearing Rangers sweaters!!

Perhaps the NY Forest Rangers?

Texas Rangers visit NY?

The guy 3rd from the right resembles the guy in the photo below, but I heard he wasn't a team player!

But seriously - if It were mine - I would start researching it at the hockey hall of fame - here :

http://www.hhof.com/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imagesAZD1QL10.jpg (7.7 KB, 377 views)

Last edited by hcv123; 10-08-2014 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:31 PM

No way on Earth is that Lake Placid (spent a lot of time there over the last forty years -- just got back from there again, in fact --
and nothing in New York State looks like those peaks). Could be the Rockies, maybe (Canadian or American) or perhaps the Alps.

Might be a senior team competing for the US in some international tournament (none of the guys look much like any NY Rangers
from that era, which does appear to be early '30s, and as has been pointed out, those aren't NY Ranger unis).
Is that a scoreboard in the background at the extreme right indicating "USA ~ SCH..."?
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/baseballgames/

Successful transactions with: bocabirdman, GrayGhost, jimivintage,
Oneofthree67, orioles93, quinnsryche, thecatspajamas, ValKehl
Old 10-08-2014, 12:51 PM
Belltown Vintage

This has to top them all for the same collector continuing to purchase items he is clueless about, in an area of the hobby he is clueless about, all the while learning absolutely nothing and continuing to ask others to do his thinking for him.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:52 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

I don't even think it says "RANGERS" on the jersey. Can't make out the R or S on any of the sweaters. I don't think "ANGER" is a French word nor is it German or Italian. There is a city called Angers in the western part of France but I can't see an "S" on the sweater either. You would think if there is other letters you could make out at least part of them on the 2 big fellas on the right side of the picture.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:27 PM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
This has to top them all for the same collector continuing to purchase items he is clueless about, in an area of the hobby he is clueless about, all the while learning absolutely nothing and continuing to ask others to do his thinking for him.
I personally think he should just be banned.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:32 PM
Michael calv.ello

Default Old Hockey Photo "RANGER"

Thanks to all Net54 members who take this forum serious and for those (Runscott and yanks12025), who can't believe there are collectors out there (like me) who buy items that they find interesting with no knowledge of it's history and who is a member in this GREAT forum called NET54 where collectors can ask for opinions and information without being criticize. if those of you have noting good to say about ones lack of knowledge and don't want to inform collectors (like me) then just keep it to yourselves. you are giving this great forum a bad rap. i know collectors who are afraid to come to this site for advise because they feel bullied. There are bully laws in this country and maybe those who bully others on this site should familiarize themselves with those laws.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:39 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVAJOY91 View Post
Thanks to all Net54 members who take this forum serious and for those (Runscott and yanks12025), who can't believe there are collectors out there (like me) who buy items that they find interesting with no knowledge of it's history and who is a member in this GREAT forum called NET54 where collectors can ask for opinions and information without being criticize. if those of you have noting good to say about ones lack of knowledge and don't want to inform collectors (like me) then just keep it to yourselves. you are giving this great forum a bad rap. i know collectors who are afraid to come to this site for advise because they feel bullied. There are bully laws in this country and maybe those who bully others on this site should familiarize themselves with those laws.
How about doing some research on an item before whipping out your wallet? We can certainly educate you on memorabilia, but we can't control what you do with that education...you don't seem to be learning anything, and in fact you are helping to perpetuate fraudulent activity by purchasing this garbage without doing your homework.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:50 PM
Brock

Quote:

Lol. Bully laws.

Dude you don't care about this forum at all. You just come on here to USE members for their knowledge and to do all your research. You don't come here to actually be apart of the forum. Look what happened when people questioned your items. You either ran away and stopped posting for weeks or you replied back to them disagreeing with their opinion.

People 100% proved your photo didn't show Joe Jackson. Yet you kept going on saying it has to be him.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:13 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
...who can't believe there are collectors out there (like me) who buy items that they find interesting with no knowledge of it's history
dumb

Quote:
i know collectors who are afraid to come to this site for advise because they feel bullied. There are bully laws in this country and maybe those who bully others on this site should familiarize themselves with those laws.
and dumber
Old 10-08-2014, 06:37 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

Yeah, stick your "bully laws" in the same place where you got these worthless pictures from. I and many others on here tried to help you CORRECTLY ID these things you bought and you call them bullies? Because they try to point you in the right direction to properly and correctly identify the stuff YOU bought at NO CHARGE to you? Man, you must have had one heck of a plush upbringing there pal to call them bullies.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:27 PM
G@ry Sƈ@m.ҽh.0ɾn

Net54 is full of some amazing members who are VERY knowledgeable in this hobby. Not everyone is an expert...or on the same skill set.THAT'S OKAY! That's why threads/posts are made. To interact with other members to help each other with particularly questions they may have on an item. I love coming to this site because I always learn something new and keep it in mind for future references.

It's okay to have a healthy debate about an item. However, when you have experts who have vast knowledge in this hobby and you are seeking help. Listen to them. That's why you are seeking help and advice. Be mindful. At some point you have to realize that, there's a learning curve in everything and it takes time to get better...and you'll make mistakes in purchases. It's happens.It happens to everyone. Just know when the mistake is made,learn...and move on from it.

These members are not "bullies."

There might be some frustrated members.. who don't feel appreciated for their time, advice and knowledge...at no cost.

As for the Hockey photo:
---I personally agree with Gary, that it might be "ANGER" as the team name. Not "RANGERS". No "R" or "S" is really indicated.

Last edited by GoCubsGo32; 10-08-2014 at 09:33 PM.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:53 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

This photo was quite possibly taken February 2, 1931 at the IIHF (International Ice Hockey Federation) World Championships in Krynica-Zdrój, Poland. The United States beat Romania 15-0 in the fourth game of the second round to advance to the finals. They would lose to Canada 2-0 in the championship game. You can see that the USA has a 15 beside their name on the scoreboard on the right side of the photo. The only other time the U.S. scored 15 goals in international competition was the 1947 World Championships in Prague where they beat Romania 15-3 (February 20). The next year at the Olympics in St. Moritz the U.S. team (which included professionals) beat Poland 23-4 (January, 31) and beat Italy 31-1 (February 1).
My first thought was that this photo was taken in Chamonix, France or St. Moritz, Switzerland.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 10-08-2014, 10:08 PM
T. Scott Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygary View Post
I don't even think it says "RANGERS" on the jersey. Can't make out the R or S on any of the sweaters. I don't think "ANGER" is a French word nor is it German or Italian. There is a city called Angers in the western part of France but I can't see an "S" on the sweater either. You would think if there is other letters you could make out at least part of them on the 2 big fellas on the right side of the picture.
I used to drive by a picturesque small town named Anger on the road between Munich and Salzburg. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with this photo, but for what it's worth Anger, Bavaria is set in the foothills beneath the Alps.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:25 PM

Noting only that we've asked some pretty dimwitted questions on Net54 and have almost always gotten informative and courteous answers,
we just pay it forward here and hope we're not held in contempt for doing so...

Our hockey historian colleagues confirm our suspicions with much more detail than we had. The photo is indeed of the Rangers --
the Massachusetts Rangers, also known as Boston Olympics.

Michael (above) was close, but it's 1932-33, not 1931. Rangers/Olympics represented the USA at the 1933 World Championship
in Prague, so this is in the winter of 1932/33. The rink is indeed somewhere in the Alps -- the team played some warm-up games in
the Swiss towns of St-Moritz, Davos, and Arosa, and in Chamonix, France.

The coach is Walter Brown, founder of the Boston Celtics. He went on to own the Boston Bruins from 1951-1964,
and was president of the IIHF between 1954-1957.
The goaltender is Gerry Cosby, who went on to own the famous hockey equipment store. In the five games played
in the actual tournament, Cosby allowed only one goal — to Canada in the gold medal game.

A few of the other players had been on the 1932 Lake Placid Olympic team. Almost all of them had played college hockey
for Yale, Dartmouth, or Boston College, along with one Harvard player. Cosby was the only one who didn't play collegiate hockey.

This is the only American team to win the IIHF World Championship. In the gold-medal game, they handed Canada
its first loss in international competition. To this day the Americans have won only four international world titles at the senior level:
the '60 and '80 Olympics, both at home; the '96 World Cup at Montreal; and this team's '33 World Championship at Prague.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:32 AM
Ke.n Su.lik

This would be where Eva thanks you guys and moves on.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:25 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
And then consigns it to an auction house as the New York Rangers.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:38 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
I agree. I think this is where a very sincere thanks should be the next post from EVAJOY.....

As for bully laws, that statement was hilarious. Yeah, file a complaint with the moderator and it will be dealt with .

And lastly, no, not close to banishment on this one. If folks don't want to help then they shouldn't. If they do, then they should. Nothing I have seen, to me, has come close to crossing the line of being a member or not.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:07 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch7999 View Post
Noting only that we've asked some pretty dimwitted questions on Net54 and have almost always gotten informative and courteous answers,
If you don't understand the difference between this guy's questions and those of past forum members, after all the discussions we've had about it, and all the explanations given for our exasperation with him, then you are even more dense than he is.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:48 PM

Thank you, Scott.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:14 PM
Belltown Vintage

My pleasure, Butch.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:14 PM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

Quote:
The bullying laws that exist in this country have to do with the protection of vulnerable school children not adults on a website where participation is voluntary. To suggest otherwise is to minimize the importance of anti-bullying legislation. As one who served on my local board of education for ten years, I take bullying very seriously and am offended that anyone would compare what happens on this site to true bullying that can have a lasting and devastating effect on its victims.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:22 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCubsGo32 View Post
These members are not "bullies."

There might be some frustrated members.. who don't feel appreciated for their time, advice and knowledge...at no cost.
Gary, there is another reason, and it has nothing to do with lack of appreciation.

I LOVE looking at old photos - I spent an hour this morning blowing up scans of town ball team photos, just to look at the details of bats, gloves, masks, etc. I was not looking for Joe Jackson, Amos Rusie, Charlie Comiskey, etc. When a forum member posts a photo, I always look at it, and I provide feedback if I can help, so for someone like EVAJOY to piss me off asking about photos, takes a lot, and I mean A LOT, of absolute bullshit behavior. If Butch, or anyone else (other than the moderators), have a problem with my reaction to EVAJOY's posts, then that's their problem. They'll find that the tolerance of forum members for such garbage is very, very high, and they probably should carry their pedestals over to a different sub-forum.
Old 10-09-2014, 01:54 PM
Todd Schultz

Thanks for the informative response Butch. Pretty thorough research there.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:26 PM

Thank you for saying so, Todd, much appreciated, but the research really wasn't ours.
We're fortunate to have friends and colleagues who have some expertise in this area, and all those details came from them.

Old 10-09-2014, 04:58 PM
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
If you don't understand the difference between this guy's questions and those of past forum members, after all the discussions we've had about it, and all the explanations given for our exasperation with him....
Butch - excellent research by your friends, but still waiting for Eva to thank them. I'm also still waiting for him to thank all the posters who provided excellent insight on his bogus "Joe Jackson," as well as for the face analysis I did on the same. I should probably send him an invoice. Scott F's attitude is perfect.

Last edited by bmarlowe1; 10-09-2014 at 05:11 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-09-2014, 05:10 PM
G@ry Sƈ@m.ҽh.0ɾn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarlowe1 View Post
Butch - excellent research by your friends, but still waiting for Eva the thank them. I'm also still waiting for him to thank all the posters who provided excellent insight on his bogus "Joe Jackson," as well as for the face analysis I did on the same. I should probably send him an invoice. Scott F's attitude is perfect.
I agree. I'm sure he will after he's done listing his items on eBay.
Old 10-09-2014, 05:38 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarlowe1 View Post
Butch - excellent research by your friends, but still waiting for Eva to thank them. I'm also still waiting for him to thank all the posters who provided excellent insight on his bogus "Joe Jackson," as well as for the face analysis I did on the same.
Agreed regarding his friends' research. If you are willing to help him, despite behavior that in my opinion does not warrant it, then fine;however, if others did not let him know that it is unacceptable, it would encourage more clowns of similar ilk, and at some point the positive contributors would be fewer as a result.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:41 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

I know that it only counts in horseshoes and handgrenades, but I was glad I was in the hockey rink, if not at center ice. I thought I would share a few original photos from my archives of players in the OP's photo.

The first is Winthrop 'Ding' Palmer in 1929 while a junior forward on the Yale hockey team.

The second is the 1936 U.S. Olympic ice hockey team prior to leaving for Garmisch-Partenkirchen. This may have been taken at Boston Arena, now owned by Northeastern University. Sitting in front is Walter Brown. Standing directly behind him is John Garrison. I had the pleasure of meeting Garrison and the two men to the right of Brown - John Lax and Gordon Smith, all from Boston.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg palmer-1.jpg (15.5 KB, 238 views)
File Type: jpg 36-hockey-1.jpg (40.5 KB, 236 views)

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 10-09-2014, 09:19 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Default Vintage Hockey

Michael,
Those are great photos. I love the early hockey stuff. Rare to find though. When I saw the OP's original photo it reminded me a little of some early hockey teams from Minnesota. Here you can see a sweater that is somewhat close to the Rangers sweater in the photo. This team is the Duluth Hornets who had many early greats on their team during this period like HOFer Herbie Lewis. Others in this same league were Ching Johnson, Moose Goheen, Tiny Thompson, and lots of others. There was an Eveleth Rangers team during this era too. Jason

Sorry for the glare, this photo is framed

Last edited by Duluth Eskimo; 07-24-2015 at 09:34 PM.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:20 AM
P.hil €lli$

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1890S-GELATI...item20ee1f097e

Old 10-10-2014, 10:48 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Trying to stay on topic The post that identified this as the 1934 championship team mentioned that the majority of the players were from college teams and these guys look old to me ( Most have receding hairlines a couple of widows peaks etc. ). I AM NO EXPERT AT Photo Matching but know there are a few on this board. This poor quality photo is of the championship team. Some similarities but looks like some differences to my untrained eye. Any thoughts (on photos)?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IIHF%2078.jpg (62.3 KB, 149 views)
Old 10-11-2014, 02:53 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

So I figured I should post my Rangers photo.

The Bread line

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 01-06-2016, 11:12 AM
Brock

Make sure you guys check it his new RARE RETAIL PRO MODEL PROMOTIONAL MODEL Larry Doby bat on eBay, only $1,000. Lol
Old 01-06-2016, 02:15 PM
P.hil €lli$

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
Make sure you guys check it his new RARE RETAIL PRO MODEL PROMOTIONAL MODEL Larry Doby bat on eBay, only $1,000. Lol
That's funny! I have the same Larry Doby bat at home. I remember buying it at a yard sale in the neighborhood in the 70s. I think I paid 10 cents. What a buy!~