NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 09-23-2010, 03:21 PM

Default Fred Toney vintage double signed Cincinnati Reds photo

I truly had an awesome pickup today!

Perhaps a few of you recall that a few months ago, on a thread related to baseball tickets, I posted photos of the only known full ticket from 5/2/1917 to the famous "double no-hit" game between Chicago's James Hippo Vaughn and the Cincinnati Reds' Fred Toney. Only an estimated 3,000 fans attended this game at Chicago's Weeghman Park. Many baseball pundits have called this game one of the greatest pitching duels of all time. In this game both Vaughn and Toney successfully pitched 9 innings of no-hit ball. The game ended in the 10th inning when the Red's shortstop Larry Kopf singled off of Vaughn. An error occured, and Vaughn threw home late on Jim Thorpe's swinging bunt allowing the only run of the game. Toney pitched in the bottom of the 10th and didn't allow a base runner, completing a 10 inning no-hitter.

Today I found an outstanding compliment piece. It is a vintage "photo/snapshot" (2 1/2" x 3 1/2") of "Big" Fred Toney that has been signed TWICE (both on the front and on the back!) by Toney in steel tipped fountain pen. Toney's signature alone is insanely tough to find, let alone one that is a vintage signed photo. BTW, Toney's death date was 1953. The name Toney appears at the bottom right corner of this "photo", leading me to believe that it might have been part of a team set of some sort, but I could really use some help from anyone that may be able to let me know of the photos origin.
Thanks in advance for any clues that you can provide!

Needless to say, I am one happy camper!

Last edited by Scott Garner; 09-23-2010 at 04:38 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:28 PM
Mike H.

I've been after this beauty for quite a while

Old 09-23-2010, 05:33 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Magnificent late '20s example... congrats, Mike!
Old 09-23-2010, 11:15 PM

Default great

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkm90 View Post
I've been after this beauty for quite a while

Mike, Impressive, looks great, congrats!..never seen that one before.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
I truly had an awesome pickup today!

Perhaps a few of you recall that a few months ago, on a thread related to baseball tickets, I posted photos of the only known full ticket from 5/2/1917 to the famous "double no-hit" game between Chicago's James Hippo Vaughn and the Cincinnati Reds' Fred Toney. Only an estimated 3,000 fans attended this game at Chicago's Weeghman Park. Many baseball pundits have called this game one of the greatest pitching duels of all time. In this game both Vaughn and Toney successfully pitched 9 innings of no-hit ball. The game ended in the 10th inning when the Red's shortstop Larry Kopf singled off of Vaughn. An error occured, and Vaughn threw home late on Jim Thorpe's swinging bunt allowing the only run of the game. Toney pitched in the bottom of the 10th and didn't allow a base runner, completing a 10 inning no-hitter.

Today I found an outstanding compliment piece. It is a vintage "photo/snapshot" (2 1/2" x 3 1/2") of "Big" Fred Toney that has been signed TWICE (both on the front and on the back!) by Toney in steel tipped fountain pen. Toney's signature alone is insanely tough to find, let alone one that is a vintage signed photo. BTW, Toney's death date was 1953. The name Toney appears at the bottom right corner of this "photo", leading me to believe that it might have been part of a team set of some sort, but I could really use some help from anyone that may be able to let me know of the photos origin.
Thanks in advance for any clues that you can provide!

Needless to say, I am one happy camper!
Congrats Scott! That is a tremendous companion piece and the ticket is also top-notch. Best, Jimmy
Old 09-25-2010, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofclout View Post
Congrats Scott! That is a tremendous companion piece and the ticket is also top-notch. Best, Jimmy
Thanks Jimmy!
Old 09-25-2010, 09:06 PM

Default cubs pennant

Mike, I saw your cubs pennant post and had to reply. About 10 years ago I won in auction a similar pennant, had it framed and is currently on my wall. Last week I saw another with an identical smaller pennant. I threw in, what I thought was a very low bid and won the lot. I am posting both pictures and asking if the small pennant is from the same time period.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2cubs.jpg (8.6 KB, 257 views)
File Type: jpg 17.jpg (75.4 KB, 260 views)
Old 09-26-2010, 07:04 AM
Mike H.

I saw that auction on ebay. Congrats on your purchase! I believe the smaller pennant to be from the same time frame.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:13 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

It's a great time to buy pennants like this on Ebay. I was closely watching those auctions too. If that Cubbie is a duplicate, you could probably stick it in Hunt's next auction and triple your investment.

As a seller, I would avoid ebay right now... like the plague
Old 09-27-2010, 12:02 PM
Rick P

Finally found the 1934 Babe Ruth Quaker Oats diecut store sign...

Old 09-27-2010, 12:07 PM
Rick P

duplicate post - sorry

Last edited by Oldtix; 09-27-2010 at 12:08 PM. Reason: duplicate post
Old 09-27-2010, 01:11 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtix View Post

That looks like a very nice example... so many of these are beaten to hell. Congrats... that's a great pickup!
Old 09-27-2010, 09:44 PM

Heres a few items that i have picked up in the last month and a half and a couple items I have had for awhile that id like some thoughts from some of my fellow collectors.

My dad got this click clacker from his grandfather and I was wondering if anyone knew any info on it. I checked the St. Louis Cardinals thread but was unable to locate it. Any thoughts?

Here is one item I got from my grandfather who picked it up at a garage sale. Its the Yomiuri Shimbun Award awarded to the members of the 83 World Series champion Baltimore Orioles. in 84, the world series champions of the ML went to Japan for a exhibition series with the Japanese champions. This is the participation/victory trophy given to the winners, te Baltimore Orioles. It just so happened that the Oriole pitcher, Mike Boedeker was originally from Norway, IA right outside Cedar Rapids. My grandp picked this up at his mothers yard sale. Not pre 1945 but kind of unique.

I had a pretty good haul yesterday

anyone know anything about this mini bat? It has a Big Boy decal on it. Anyone know what thats related to?

I am incredibly excited about this last buy. I picked up this trophy yesterday for a very good price.

I saw this and had to buy it. I love old college football memorabilia and this was unique. I was pretty skeptical of it being what I truly wanted it to be and the trophy has completely exceeded what i expected. It is silver plated, has nice qulaity engraving, and has a floral design around the rim of the base and top. The top rim bottom rim, and arms have a hammered effect like a golf ball When I saw University of Wisconsin Football Team, I figured it would end up being something involving intramurals. If not that, it probably had to deal with one of the satelite schools like UW-milwaukee,UW-platteville,inc. If it turned out to be actually Wisconsin Badger related, I figured it was some minor player who was awarded as the trophy is inscribed, "Most Useful Man" as a means of a great practice player.

The trophy was marked Guy M. Sundt and inscribed 1921. When I got home, the name popped up fairly easily on google.

Guy. M Sundt was a Fullback and Punter on the 1921 Wisconsin badgers. He was a 4th year letter winner that year. He was 1st team all big ten and an honorable mention all american.Was the 1921 captain. Finished 4th at the NCAA outdoor meet in the long jump earning all american honors. Went to Ripon College from 1922-24 and was the football,basketball, and track coach as well as the AD. Returned to Wisconsin in 1924. From 24-29 coached the freshmen basketball team. From 1925-26 coached the freshmen baseball team. Was an asst football coach from 1924-48 coaching the backfield including as a staff member on the great 42 team. He was the head cross country coach from 48-49 when his team won 2 bigten titles and a runner up finish at the national meet. From 49-50, he coached the track team that finished 7th at the national outdoor meet. Was a longtime asst. AD at UWMadison and was the Athletic Director from 1950 until his death in 1955. He was a innagural member of the UW athletics hall of fame He was the team MVP for the 1921 season and I believe I am in possesion of his MVP trophy. I am ecstatic about this find as big ten is my thing. I have no idea about value or information on something like this. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the poor paragraph that would make a english teacher cringe

Last edited by herkyhawkeye; 09-27-2010 at 09:52 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:47 PM

I also picked his trophy up yesterday as well

Last edited by herkyhawkeye; 09-27-2010 at 09:48 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:48 PM
Max Weder

The cheque is in the mail....

Old 09-28-2010, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtix View Post

Damn Rick. How in the hell did you misplace that?!
Old 09-28-2010, 02:42 AM

Default Just picked up the first known PICTUREGRAMS poster of the Mick dated March 26 1951...

with a headline that would have made Nostradamus "green with envy"

"YANKS SAID TO HAVE SECOND DI MAGGIO IN ROOKIE MANTLE"

1951MantlePoster.jpg

Last edited by thekingofclout; 09-28-2010 at 02:52 AM.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:12 AM
Big League Baseballs

I got this vintage Reach ball for my collection and photo gallery. Great stamps, haven't figured out all the signatures though. According to the seller, it contains the following sigs:

DAVE KEEFE, VINCE CASTINO, BUDDY ROSAR, BERT SHEPARD, BUCK ?, ALLIE REYNOLDS, SAM CHAPMAN, RALPH ?, FRANK HAYES, JEFF HEATH.

And it's a shame about the big "50" someone wrote over the pres. stamp with permanent marker. Can't figure out what it means. Most of the players played for AL teams in the 40s, not many seemed to be playing at the time these baseballs were used. So I'm guessing it was signed at some special event.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:48 PM
Mike H.

I've seen a few of these over the years in Hunts, but was very happy to find this honey on ebay today.

Last edited by mjkm90; 09-30-2010 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:52 PM
Jim Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofclout View Post
with a headline that would have made Nostradamus "green with envy"

"YANKS SAID TO HAVE SECOND DI MAGGIO IN ROOKIE MANTLE"

Attachment 25574
best newspaper headline I have is from 1936

"DiMaggio dons Ruth's Mantle"