NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-29-2021, 08:01 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiprop View Post
Wow, excellent Ruth Lections with no hole punches. That's a beauty!

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 12-29-2021, 09:37 PM
Aaron Seefeldt

Default Badass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiprop View Post
Sweet friggen’ Lections Ruth, DK! Show us more! Show us Mr Blue e92!
Old 12-30-2021, 01:40 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Warren Spahn RC (1947), uncut sheet.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-30-2021 at 01:40 AM.
Old 12-30-2021, 02:22 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

So many great cards in this thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1922_w503_32_ruth_front.jpg (77.9 KB, 1307 views)
Old 12-30-2021, 05:17 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
Old 12-30-2021, 07:22 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default 1860s game in action CDV

Quote:
Nice card. It is NOT hand cut and doesn't appear to be altered....though there could be an unseen alteration. Idiot TPGs.....effing idiots.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg cdv1.jpg (68.2 KB, 1286 views)

Last edited by Leon; 12-30-2021 at 07:24 AM.
Old 12-30-2021, 07:45 AM
Michael

Leon's post prompted me to post this one (formerly of the Luckey collection). It was sold twice by Heritage so there is a better scan there (it is best enjoyed with a magnifying glass or as a scalable image).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sawyer cdv.jpg (67.3 KB, 1281 views)
My avatar is a drawing of a 1958 Topps Hank Aaron by my daughter. If you are interested in one in a similar style based on the card of your choice, details can be found by searching threads with the title phrase Custom Baseball Card Artwork or by PMing me.
Old 12-30-2021, 07:57 AM

Default In a similar vein

One half of a stereoview scene
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (75.9 KB, 1295 views)
Old 12-30-2021, 08:44 AM
Michael

Love it. Here's one where you can kind of make out a boy pitching to a woman.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cdv children lady.jpg (80.0 KB, 1299 views)
My avatar is a drawing of a 1958 Topps Hank Aaron by my daughter. If you are interested in one in a similar style based on the card of your choice, details can be found by searching threads with the title phrase Custom Baseball Card Artwork or by PMing me.
Old 12-30-2021, 10:35 AM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Love that W503 Ruth!! Nice 1947 Spahn! Haven’t seen that!
Old 12-30-2021, 01:32 PM
Ethan

Default 1/1?

This one is rare.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3711.jpg (74.2 KB, 1266 views)
Old 12-30-2021, 03:02 PM
Al@n Kle!nberger

My collection is all over the place, so I probably have a lot of pieces that are pretty rare - although in my defense, I don't really think in those terms. Maybe the fact that I don't own any graded cards keeps me from thinking in terms of pop numbers or registries.

Anyway, one item I have that may be one of a kind comes from the criminally under-collected M113/M114 set, the Baseball Magazine premiums. Fellow board member Doug Goodman and I seem to be the only collectors of this set who are making a run for a complete set - and I do have one piece he acknowledges he's never owned or even seen.

I attended the third National, the one held in Parsippany NJ and organized by Lew Lipset. That was back in 1983. While there, I ran across a dealer who had a number of M113's (the oversized ones that are usually found trimmed), all of which had been glued to poster board and trimmed close to the picture borders. I think I paid about $20 for a group of six, which included several very nice Hall of Famers (McGraw, Jennings, and the magnificent "Walter Johnson's Pitching Arm). Also included were a few commons, including Vic Saier.

For those of you who don't closely follow Dead Ball Era baseball, Vic Saier was a slightly above-average first baseman with the Cubs in the years leading up to the First World War. His career was essentially over by the time he was twenty-five, but he had a couple of good years that would have explained his inclusion in the M113 set in 1913.

Except that no checklist, no review of the set, no compilation of the issue, has EVER referenced or uncovered the issuance of a Vic Saier photo in the M113 set.

Except for the one that I have.

It's probably not all THAT valuable, given how few people collect this set seriously. But I do take a certain pride in having an item that nobody else has (apparently).

Alan Kleinberger
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M113 Saier.jpg (67.4 KB, 1250 views)
Old 12-30-2021, 03:46 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Nice card. It is NOT hand cut and doesn't appear to be altered....though there could be an unseen alteration. Idiot TPGs.....effing idiots.
Such a great early action shot!
Old 12-30-2021, 10:59 PM
Ron Skaggs

Default s74 cobbs

s74 white series
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cobb whites (1).jpg (51.5 KB, 1180 views)
File Type: jpg cobb backs.jpg (72.7 KB, 1193 views)
Old 12-30-2021, 11:29 PM
Val Kehl

A few 1922 cards that appear to be 1-of-1s per the pop reports:
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 12-31-2021, 12:40 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post

Thanks everyone for the compliments!

To be fair to PSA, the card actually is accurately graded. The Authentic/Altered grade is because the card is recolored. For some reason, someone tried to color in the crease with a pen.

On the other hand, as Leon said, the W503s are not hand cut, but factory cut, so definitely an error by PSA on that point.
Old 12-31-2021, 12:48 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsst206 View Post
s74 white series
Fantastic silks Ron. What are the backs on the other four Cobbs?
Old 01-02-2022, 09:47 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the compliments!

To be fair to PSA, the card actually is accurately graded. The Authentic/Altered grade is because the card is recolored. For some reason, someone tried to color in the crease with a pen.

On the other hand, as Leon said, the W503s are not hand cut, but factory cut, so definitely an error by PSA on that point.
If it is recolored then the grade is accurate not the hand cut designation on the flip. PSA and SGC both put "hand cut" on every W575-1 and W503. That is not accurate. How many strips of W575-1, or W503, has anyone seen? There might be a few but that isn't how they were distributed, unlike many of the W5xx series of strips.

As shown before, twenty W575-1 cards came in this pack I acquired. All were almost perfectly cut and the same size. They are not hand cut.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg w5752.jpg (77.1 KB, 1118 views)
Old 01-02-2022, 05:36 PM
Ron Skaggs

Hi Bob,
tried loading the back picture but file to big so i cropped the Helmar since it is my rarest back. The other 4 are 2 Oldmill and 2 Turkey Red non boarder.

Br
Ron
Old 01-03-2022, 12:08 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Hi Bob,
tried loading the back picture but file to big so i cropped the Helmar since it is my rarest back. The other 4 are 2 Oldmill and 2 Turkey Red non boarder.

Br
Ron
Hey Ron,

So both your Turkey Red - Cobbs were without the border. Have you ever seen a Turkey Red - Cobb with the border then? I don't think I ever have, and just wondered if one even exists. I know the SGC pop reports show they've graded 12 Turkey Red backed white Cobb silks in total, but it doesn't specify if they are with or without the borders. And don't you have a Red Sun backed Cobb as well? Always figured you to be the person to complete the entire back run for white silks of Cobb one day.

I know there aren't a whole lot of Helmar and Red Sun backed white silks of Cobb out there. I always figured it may be possible to have two complete Cobb back runs, as I'm only aware of two Helmar backed Cobbs in existence. Your raw one one, and then the single graded one on SGC's pop reports. And then I'm only aware of two Red Sun backed Cobbs, both of which show up on SGC's pop reports. Let me know what you think. Thanks.
Old 01-03-2022, 05:09 PM
Ron Skaggs

Hi Bob,
I don't think I have ever seen a Cobb with a Turkey Red border either.
I do not have a Red Sun Cobb. I have seen a few most recently the Blue print on EBAY that recently sold for 16K. That would have fit nicely into the master set. The one on EBAY didn't have the fold line like most and was graded by SGC 84 NM.
best regards
Ron
Old 01-03-2022, 07:04 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Hi Bob,
I don't think I have ever seen a Cobb with a Turkey Red border either.
I do not have a Red Sun Cobb. I have seen a few most recently the Blue print on EBAY that recently sold for 16K. That would have fit nicely into the master set. The one on EBAY didn't have the fold line like most and was graded by SGC 84 NM.
best regards
Ron
Thanks Ron,

I'm wondering now if Cobb silks ever got released with Turkey Red backs with a border. I guess it is possible they did not after all. That is a shame. Let me know if ever even see one.

Also a shame you don't have a Red Sun backed Cobb, I sure thought you did. I saw the SGC84 NM one you were talking about just sold on Ebay a month or so ago. It was listed with a BIN of $18K I think, but looks like you're saying it went for a Best Offer of only $16K? There's only two Red Sun Cobbs listed on SGC's pop reports. The SGC84 NM one you and I have been talking about, and then there's an SGC30 GD I believe, that if memory serves, was sold by REA back in August of 2020. Have you ever seen a raw, ungraded Red Sun Cobb, or do you think the two graded by SGC are it?

Regardless, I can't believe that SGC84 NM Red Sun Cobb only went for a best offer of $16K then. That is one of the rarest early Cobbs there is, and is the highest graded of any S74-1 white silk in existence. I can't believe the silks are still doing this poorly against all the regular cards out there.

Anyway, I'm only aware of there being two Helmar backed Cobbs, your raw one and the SGC40 VG one listed on their pop reports. Curious if you've seen or even heard of another Helmar backed Cobb silk. I feel pretty confident those may be the only two Helmar Cobbs, but wouldn't be too shocked if there are some other Red Suns Cobbs out there in addition to the two graded by SGC. Let me know what you think.

All the best,
Bob
Old 01-04-2022, 07:29 AM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Thanks Ron,

I'm wondering now if Cobb silks ever got released with Turkey Red backs with a border. I guess it is possible they did not after all. That is a shame. Let me know if ever even see one.

Also a shame you don't have a Red Sun backed Cobb, I sure thought you did. I saw the SGC84 NM one you were talking about just sold on Ebay a month or so ago. It was listed with a BIN of $18K I think, but looks like you're saying it went for a Best Offer of only $16K? There's only two Red Sun Cobbs listed on SGC's pop reports. The SGC84 NM one you and I have been talking about, and then there's an SGC30 GD I believe, that if memory serves, was sold by REA back in August of 2020. Have you ever seen a raw, ungraded Red Sun Cobb, or do you think the two graded by SGC are it?

Regardless, I can't believe that SGC84 NM Red Sun Cobb only went for a best offer of $16K then. That is one of the rarest early Cobbs there is, and is the highest graded of any S74-1 white silk in existence. I can't believe the silks are still doing this poorly against all the regular cards out there.

Anyway, I'm only aware of there being two Helmar backed Cobbs, your raw one and the SGC40 VG one listed on their pop reports. Curious if you've seen or even heard of another Helmar backed Cobb silk. I feel pretty confident those may be the only two Helmar Cobbs, but wouldn't be too shocked if there are some other Red Suns Cobbs out there in addition to the two graded by SGC. Let me know what you think.

All the best,
Bob

This one sold on ebay in 2016.
0 S74 Cobb.jpg
Old 01-04-2022, 10:14 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post
This one sold on ebay in 2016.
Attachment 496137
Thank you Pat! Definitely don't remember seeing that one up for sale. Wish I had though.

These silks are still so unappreciated by many collectors IMO, especially with the ad-backed white version silks. You have three separate and distinct ink colors used on the front images, and four different tobacco brands shown on the advertising backs, including two versions of the Turkey Red backs (with and without the border/frame), so you have five total advertising backs they come with. So there are a lot of variations to this set, somewhat along the lines of the T206 set with all its variations, just not as many. But there are some true rarities in the silks, including a precious few known proofs, that can blow away most anything in the T206 universe as far as how few examples of something are still known to exist.

And one of the great side benefits of the silks is there aren't likely going to be any fakes or reprints out there you have to worry about either.

Last edited by BobC; 01-04-2022 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-05-2022, 03:53 PM
Ron Skaggs

Hi Bob,
On the Helmar backs Leon had the brown print, I have the red print and i believe the one graded is blue print. picture from Leon"s website. So it is possible to have all 3 different prints of Helmar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cobb back.jpg (72.9 KB, 1407 views)
Old 01-05-2022, 04:10 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Hi Bob,
On the Helmar backs Leon had the brown print, I have the red print and i believe the one graded is blue print. picture from Leon"s website. So it is possible to have all 3 different prints of Helmar.
To be clear those are from my previous collection...I own 1 of them now. (I realize you used past tense but for others)

Here is my only S74 currently.. It is the one from my previous collection.

Last edited by Leon; 01-11-2022 at 09:44 AM.
Old 01-05-2022, 11:51 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Hi Bob,
Hey Ron,

I remember when Leon (Hi Leon!) used to post that picture, great silks. But I'm pretty sure that Leon's old brown ink Helmar-Cobb silk is the only graded one on SGC's pop report. I'm almost positive it was graded when sold with the rest of his collection through Heritage, back in 2017. That was why I was curious if you knew of any other Helmar-Cobbs besides yours and Leon's old one. I'm only aware of those two, in the brown and red/rust ink colors.

And still curious to see if there are more than two Red Sun-Cobbs in existence as well, in addition to the two of those on the SGC pop reports.

And on a sad note, most people must really not like the S-74 silks. Couple posts about them, and apparently it killed this rarest card thread. This was a great thread.

Last edited by BobC; 05-13-2022 at 12:48 AM.
Old 01-10-2022, 04:01 PM

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1925 W504 Goslin [Front].jpg (53.8 KB, 1267 views)
Old 01-10-2022, 06:32 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

1906 Sunday American flip-book

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-11-2022, 07:32 AM
Ted Zanidakis

1871 Troy Haymakers

Well, this 1871 Troy Haymakers scorecard isn't quite old enough to be among the first BB cards; but, it sure is rare.
Ten scorecards were issued in 1871 - 1872 portraying players on this National Association team.

William "Clipper" Flynn (1871 - 1872)

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 01-11-2022, 08:17 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
1871 Troy Haymakers

Well, this 1871 Troy Haymakers scorecard isn't quite old enough to be among the first BB cards; but, it sure is rare.
Ten scorecards were issued in 1871 - 1872 portraying players on this National Association team.

William "Clipper" Flynn (1871 - 1872)

TED Z

T206 Reference
Great piece and I love the advertising

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1917-20 Felix Mendelssohn Babe Ruth
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 01-11-2022, 08:28 AM

I love T214
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t214bender.jpg (80.5 KB, 1193 views)
Old 01-11-2022, 08:29 AM

Ted, that is amazing. Regarding scorecards:

Here is a scorecard from Joe Jackson's last game in the minors with the New Orleans Pelicans (same team he plays for in his T210 card). The AH (not Lelands) said it was the only one they had seen.

Awesome T214 Bender. I literally just consigned one of the other know T214 Benders to Heritage (it will be in their March auction). T214s are so cool and so so tough

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 01-11-2022 at 08:30 AM.
Old 01-11-2022, 08:51 AM
{K.e.v.i.n_C.u.m.m.i.n.g.s}

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post

Here is a scorecard from Joe Jackson's last game in the minors with the New Orleans Pelicans (same team he plays for in his T210 card). The AH (not Lelands) said it was the only one they had seen.

Awesome T214 Bender. I literally just consigned one of the other know T214 Benders to Heritage (it will be in their March auction). T214s are so cool and so so tough
Great item!

Joe looks so happy to be posing, doesn't he?

Last edited by kkkkandp; 01-11-2022 at 08:51 AM. Reason: emphasis
Old 01-11-2022, 10:01 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post

Ryan

Thanks....and, so is your New Orleans Pelicans scorecard amazing.

Here is another 19th Century scorecard (circa 1890). Not as rare as the Troy scorecard; nevertheless, a very colorful one.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 01-11-2022, 10:16 AM
Paul S

Probably this. I also have a Plow Boy, but I think these are rarer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Billy Plows candy. photo022.jpg (78.3 KB, 1180 views)

Last edited by pbspelly; 01-11-2022 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-11-2022, 11:57 AM
J@E R1T0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LincolnVT View Post
This one is rare.
That is beyond cool!!! Love the late 1800's cab cards. Thanks for showing.

Love the late 1800’s Boston Beaneaters and the early Boston Red Sox (1903-1918)!

Also collecting any and all basketball memorabilia.
Old 01-11-2022, 01:09 PM
Alan Elefson

I am amazed at the incredible cards and other items shown in this thread! I do not have any traditional cards that are considered rare, but here is a cool early stereoview. I am sure there are more examples of this team (I do not even know what team it is), but probably not too many.

Alan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img455.jpg (63.7 KB, 1145 views)
Old 01-11-2022, 06:01 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Elysian Fields

1865 Currier & Ives lithograph of Elysian Fields where the first organized game of Baseball was played on June 19, 1846 in this ballpark in Hoboken, NJ.
This 90-year old copy of the original Currier & Ives Litho was replicated by the Sidney Z. Lucas Gallery in NYC (circa 1930). It's nearly impossible to find
original 1865 copies of this Currier & Ives print.
This picture (23" x 15" cardboard) is the decorative centerpiece in my office, surrounded by my various uncut sheets of BB and FB cards (1927 to 1961).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- v---- Henry Chadwick (Baseball Journalist)

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 01-11-2022, 06:50 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post

Is that flip book complete? That would be too cool to flip through it.

If you really want to drive collecting purist nuts, you can un-staple it and sell the individual pages.
Old 01-11-2022, 07:11 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Quote:

Adam, very cool flipbook. Do you know is it the same images/pages used in the Winthrop postcard? It looks quite similar to me. Also, is there anything specific such as a copyright about it that definitively links it to 1906? Have you ever seen another one?
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 01-11-2022, 08:11 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by t213 View Post
I love T214
Andy, I'm with you!

There aren't any examples of this T214 in the pop reports:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T214 Gandil - Front.jpg (47.0 KB, 1082 views)
File Type: jpg T214 Gandil - Back.jpg (45.5 KB, 1073 views)
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 01-11-2022, 09:49 PM
Michael

Looks like this is the only Meyers Catching on either the PSA or SGC reports (although SGC has two Meyers cards listed with an unspecified pose).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t214 front.jpg (50.7 KB, 1067 views)
Old 01-12-2022, 06:10 AM

Great Victory Val!
Old 01-12-2022, 11:52 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:

What a difference 100 plus years makes in our culture. These days it would be, "Digitally Impaired Brown".
Old 04-06-2022, 05:59 PM

Forgot this one:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1917 Holsum Bread Coveleskie [Front].jpg (47.5 KB, 901 views)
File Type: jpg 1917 Holsum Bread Coveleskie [Back].jpg (57.1 KB, 904 views)
Old 04-06-2022, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Van Horn View Post
Forgot this one:
Always nice to see a card I haven't seen before...thanks Brian.

Brian
Old 04-06-2022, 08:06 PM

Brian,

My pleasure.
Old 04-08-2022, 03:06 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Here is a 1 of 1.

Old 04-09-2022, 09:07 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Amazing cards everyone!

Spending Saturday morning looking at cards in the thread.