NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2023, 08:28 AM

Very amusing thread. To try to keep it entertaining, here are a few theories:

1. Brian is trying to save face – he is remaining firm in his belief the 1921 Herpolsheimer's are fakes because he holds a ton of regret because he didn’t buy the entire lot of 39 cards for about $85 total at the show in 1999.

……or……

2. There were actually 40 cards and the extra card was a second Ruth in better condition. On a whim, Brian bought it for $5. He keeps pushing the thread as a genius move for increased interest in the set, ahead of selling his card for good money. Brian’s post #279, “The "1921" Herpolsheimer cards are fakes, but will probably have more findings in the future. Wow, the possibilities. I'll leave out the incentives for the possibilities because they are obvious.” This is satire...I don't know of more Ruth examples.

……or……

3. Brian never attended that show in 1999 and has never seen the first group of cards before they were sold a while back. The wizard-like, wand-waving “dealer” was just a dream. So just trolling to troll?

……and the truth……

4. Being more serious now….Rhett explained in his post #218 that the checklist of players match perfectly with those included in other similar 1921 sets. The previously unknown subjects (the new 1/1s) which were found in this 39 card group confirm Rhett’s theory. Considering how far the knowledge in the hobby has advanced since the 1970s through the internet, shared resources and die-hard collectors like you; Rhett is also correct that these cards could not have been made in the 1970s. Logically, the cards are original, they date back to 1921 and are pretty rare. “They’re real…and they’re spectacular!”

Last edited by horzverti; 11-28-2023 at 08:34 AM.
Old 11-28-2023, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horzverti View Post
Very amusing thread. To try to keep it entertaining, here are a few theories:

1. Brian is trying to save face – he is remaining firm in his belief the 1921s are fakes because he holds a ton of regret because he didn’t buy the entire lot of 39 cards for about $85 total at the show in 1999.

……or……

2. There were actually 40 cards and the extra card was a second Ruth in better condition. On a whim, Brian bought it for $5. He keeps pushing the thread as a genius move for increased interest in the set, ahead of selling his card for good money. Brian’s post #279, “The "1921" Herpolsheimer cards are fakes, but will probably have more findings in the future. Wow, the possibilities. I'll leave out the incentives for the possibilities because they are obvious.”

……or……

3. Brian never attended that show in 1999 and has never seen the first group of cards before they were sold a while back. The wizard-like, wand-waving “dealer” was just a dream. So just trolling to troll?

……and the truth……

4. Being more serious now….Rhett explained in his post #218 that the checklist of players match perfectly with those included in other similar 1921 sets. The previously unknown subjects (the new 1/1s) which were found in this 39 card group confirm Rhett’s theory. Considering how far the knowledge in the hobby has advanced since the 1970s through the internet, shared resources and die-hard collectors like you; Rhett is also correct that these cards could not have been made in the 1970s. Logically, the cards are original, they date back to 1921 and are pretty rare. “They’re real…and they’re spectacular!”
1. Ball one

2. Ball two

3. Ball three

4. Once again from the link in yesterday's post 240 which was originally meant to dispel my argument:

https://archive.org/details/LanstonM...e/n23/mode/2up

A typographical specimen booklet containing borders and ornaments for casting on the Lanston Monotype Composition Caster, Lanston Monotype Type-Caster, Lanston Monotype Giant Caster and Monotype-Thompson Type-Caster. This booklet is from a Lanston Monotype specimen book (binder) bearing the general title "Monotype Type Faces." It is undated, but based on internal evidence elsewhere in the binder it is from the late 1930s or early 1940s.

A set can be faked and by a person who works as a printer.

Thank you for the walk. I enjoyed advancing to first base.

LOL!

Only a little below 29,700 before we reach 30.000 posts for this topic.

Old 11-28-2023, 08:55 AM
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Van Horn View Post

4. Once again from the link in yesterday's post 240 which was originally meant to dispel my argument:

It was my post, and you keep bringing it up, so I guess I'll chime in again. It dispels your argument that the disco border was from 1970s.

"It doesn't look like a pattern from the 1920s, but an imitation for the 1970s."

It wasn't, it was from at least the 30s or 40s. It's why I put that paragraph in the post.
Old 11-28-2023, 08:57 AM
Michael

I hate to ask again, but can you please explain why someone finding a matching border specimen from 1930's-1940's means the cards are fake?

All it means is that the border did not originate in the 1970's.

It does not mean the border could not have existed earlier.

I understand that a set can be faked. Any set can be faked. I am just asking why you think this set is faked (besides the fact that someone else said they were fake).
My avatar is a drawing of a 1958 Topps Hank Aaron by my daughter. If you are interested in one in a similar style based on the card of your choice, details can be found by searching threads with the title phrase Custom Baseball Card Artwork or by PMing me.
Old 11-28-2023, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molenick View Post
I hate to ask again, but can you please explain why someone finding a matching border specimen from 1930's-1940's means the cards are fake?

All it means is that the border did not originate in the 1970's.

It does not mean the border could not have existed earlier.

I understand that a set can be faked. Any set can be faked. I am just asking why you think this set is faked (besides the fact that someone else said they were fake).
Here's the math:

1930s-1940s minus "1921" equals upper teens to low twenties in years difference from when the design first existed and the argument for the card's year.

In other words, fake set
Old 11-28-2023, 09:09 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Brian,

Why would you destroy your reputation in the hobby over something as dumb as this? It’s painful to watch. Please stop.
Old 11-28-2023, 09:13 AM
Michael

Quote:
Here's the math:

1930s-1940s minus "1921" equals upper teens to low twenties in years difference from when the design first existed and the argument for the card's year.

In other words, fake set
You are adding the words "first existed" when no one is claiming that. We are just saying that it existed, which means it was not a 1970's disco pattern.

We all agree that the 1921 Holsum Bread cards are real and from 1921 (don't we?). And yet that border pattern is in the book as well.
My avatar is a drawing of a 1958 Topps Hank Aaron by my daughter. If you are interested in one in a similar style based on the card of your choice, details can be found by searching threads with the title phrase Custom Baseball Card Artwork or by PMing me.
Old 11-28-2023, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Brian,

Why would you destroy your reputation in the hobby over something as dumb as this? It’s painful to watch. Please stop.
Jeffrey,

I apologize, but if ruining my rep saves people from getting ripped off so be the matter. Just a reminder to you about your accusations about Bill Mastro, the criticism you received by the masses on this board and the fact you were correct.
Old 11-28-2023, 09:24 AM

Quote:
You are adding the words "first existed" when no one is claiming that. We are just saying that it existed, which means it was not a 1970's disco pattern.

We all agree that the 1921 Holsum Bread cards are real and from 1921 (don't we?). And yet that border pattern is in the book as well.
Please click the link and read the paragraph in the white below the book page:

A typographical specimen booklet containing borders and ornaments for casting on the Lanston Monotype Composition Caster, Lanston Monotype Type-Caster, Lanston Monotype Giant Caster and Monotype-Thompson Type-Caster. This booklet is from a Lanston Monotype specimen book (binder) bearing the general title "Monotype Type Faces." It is undated, but based on internal evidence elsewhere in the binder it is from the late 1930s or early 1940s.

The last time I checked late 1930s or early 1940s eliminates 1921 in origin.
Old 11-28-2023, 09:33 AM
Steve Birmingham

Here's a few thoughts I have on them.

I've seen a few things related to memory and how two people can recall the same event differently, or a person can combine memories into a single inaccurate one.

I think that's what we have here.
Were there fakes of that group of sets made in the 1970's? Yes, I own one.

Is it possible a dealer would have ended up with a bunch of them having thought they were real? Yes.

But here is where it gets odd. The 70's fakes didn't have Herpolshimers backs.

Given those facts, a few possibilities
A dealer had a bunch of the fakes, and a later dealer sold a group and those were remembered as the fakes, but it was two different lots
Or
A dealer had a big lot of Herpolshimers, but not finding them in any references, believed them to be fake. (I used to really like dealers like that.. "it's not in Beckett so it's fake or worthless")
Or
Someone had a bunch of blank backed cards either fakes or originals, and added an ad back.
Or
Someone outright faked a set in small quantities.

All are possible, The first two seem somewhat likely.
The last..... I think is highly unlikely.
Fakes/reprints in general have been poorly made. Wrong stock, wrong process, wrong inks etc. To fake this set, you'd have to have all that stuff right. Plus
Youd need to know the checklist. Which as it's been pointed out isn't precisely known and certainly wasn't in the 70's. (My fake is both poorly made, and has the wrong back... )
Hardest perhaps would be having originals to copy.
Is it possible to make a typography plate that's a duplicate of the original, right down to the exact halftone so the dots in the pattern would match up? Yes
Is it likely a hobby printer could do it at home? Or that a professional would spend the required effort on making plates for 30-80 individual cards (likely at least a few days work. Then only print a handful of sets?

AND
Have the presence of mind to produce imperfect cards with deliberate offset transfers?

That would be some world class fakery at any time. And someone with the ability to make that work back then would be better served to produce the same quality fake for a smaller group of cards. Or a different set entirely.
Not a fake of a very obscure set made in the single digits and doled out over the course of decades. and somehow inserted into very different situations in different places.
Consider what similar cards went for back then.
My fake cost me $2 RETAIL in 1978. I'm still amazed someone thought it was worth the effort.

It makes no sense in any way.

The border...
While the design book may be from the 30's-40's, the actual type elements could have been around for a very long time.
Type is similar to industrial hardware.
While I was at the hydraulic place, I worked on stuff that was fairly old. One jack was made in 1945, and that model could still be bought new well into the 1990's.
A common bicycle hub was first offered in 1938. Had a minor change a year later, then no real changes until 2000... 62 years with only minor cosmetic changes, Parts bought new in 2000 would fit a hub from 1936. (also a fine example, as I recalled the intro date as 1935)

I would not be at all surprised that that border type was much older than 1920's.

There's so much that says these are real, I have to think one of the options where the memory of the dealer involves other cards, or that the dealer was mistaken seem to be very likely.

And a very appropriate card.
Old 11-28-2023, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggames View Post
It was my post, and you keep bringing it up, so I guess I'll chime in again. It dispels your argument that the disco border was from 1970s.

"It doesn't look like a pattern from the 1920s, but an imitation for the 1970s."

It wasn't, it was from at least the 30s or 40s. It's why I put that paragraph in the post.
The dealer in May 1999 indicated they were printed in the 1970's. They still look like disco dance floors. Disco dance floors were designed in part after the dance floors of the 1930s and 1940s. Last time I checked discos were from the 1970s and thank goodness died out shortly after. Yes, they held out until past 1980. I remember "We are Family" from the 1979 Pirates. Couldn't stand their theme song or their loud uniforms, but I was a fan of the team despite the disco overload. Better dressed since, but no World Series.
Old 11-28-2023, 09:37 AM
Michael

Quote:
Please click the link and read the paragraph in the white below the book page:

The last time I checked late 1930s or early 1940s eliminates 1921 in origin.
The binder was from the late 1930's or early 1940's. That does not mean that every pattern in the book was new to that binder. In fact, some patterns, such as the 1921 Holsum Bread pattern, were around since at least 1921.

Are you also saying 1921 Holsum Bread cards are fake? Because that pattern is in the book, which using your logic means it eliminates 1921 in origin.

Last edited by molenick; 11-28-2023 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11-28-2023, 09:43 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Jeffrey,

I apologize, but if ruining my rep saves people from getting ripped off so be the matter. Just a reminder to you about your accusations about Bill Mastro, the criticism you received by the masses on this board and the fact you were correct.
Except I had clear anecdotal evidence which was immediately corroborated by the FBI who contacted me. In your case you have laughably weak, decades-old hearsay “evidence” from an unknown source — which has convinced no one. To suggest these two sets of circumstances are even remotely similar suggests to me that you’re having some kind of break from reality. And at this point you are not concerned about saving anyone from fraud, as I was as I had no prior axe to grind with Mastro. You’re just being George Constanta driving Susan’s parents out to his fake Montauk house. You always struck me as a decent and honest guy. This thread clearly is eroding that perception. Your choice I guess.
Old 11-28-2023, 09:57 AM

Quote:
The binder was from the late 1930's or early 1940's. That does not mean that every pattern in the book was new to that binder. In fact, some patterns, such as the 1921 Holsum Bread pattern, were around since at least 1921.

Are you also saying 1921 Holsum Bread cards are fake? Because that pattern is in the book, which using your logic means it eliminates 1921 origin.
I have been waiting for this response from you. You have the Holsum which has been known for years. That eliminates it from your argument.

Now, as for the Herpolsheimer "back" similarity on the website link:

So:

1.) An honest dealer waiving his hand over the case in May 1999 indicating the cards are fake.

2.) The pattern on the back that looked and still does like a disco floor or coffee table (also from the 1970s) pattern.

3.) Reference to above:

It is undated, but based on internal evidence elsewhere in the binder it is from the late 1930s or early 1940s.

4.) First fakes of pre-WWII ever. No.

5.) Possibility of a person who works as a printer who has knowledge of cards including a love of Pre-WWII back in the 1970s. What a concept. A printer who collects cards and the thought of producing a group of the cards with a pattern which he may have seen on a disco floor which inspired him. The guy would have access to paper from the 1920's. Still, paper from the 1920's and pattern from the late 1930's or 1940's. Oh, we have the basis of a movie here. Alan Alda, however, is too old and Mr. Mint can no longer sue him. Oh, but I digress. My accurate memory despite a cold and Stage 2 Astrocytoma (Brain Cancer) doesn't get in the way.
Old 11-28-2023, 09:59 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
The dealer in May 1999 indicated they were printed in the 1970's. They still look like disco dance floors. Disco dance floors were designed in part after the dance floors of the 1930s and 1940s. Last time I checked discos were from the 1970s and thank goodness died out shortly after. Yes, they held out until past 1980. I remember "We are Family" from the 1979 Pirates. Couldn't stand their theme song or their loud uniforms, but I was a fan of the team despite the disco overload. Better dressed since, but no World Series.
Brian, perhaps you are suffering from "Saturday Night Fever."
Old 11-28-2023, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Brian, perhaps you are suffering from "Saturday Night Fever."
Saturday Night Fever on a Tuesday morning. Oh, now that is not illness, but a horror movie.

For those from Pittsburgh, this would have scared Chilly Bill Cardille. For the rest of you look him up. I miss him as well from 1250 am.
Old 11-28-2023, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Except I had clear anecdotal evidence which was immediately corroborated by the FBI who contacted me. In your case you have laughably weak, decades-old hearsay “evidence” from an unknown source — which has convinced no one. To suggest these two sets of circumstances are even remotely similar suggests to me that you’re having some kind of break from reality. And at this point you are not concerned about saving anyone from fraud, as I was as I had no prior axe to grind with Mastro. You’re just being George Constanta driving Susan’s parents out to his fake Montauk house. You always struck me as a decent and honest guy. This thread clearly is eroding that perception. Your choice I guess.
Hiccup.

The cards are fake. My apologies about your Cobb.

Happy Holidays
Old 11-28-2023, 10:20 AM
Michael

Quote:
I have been waiting for this response from you. You have the Holsum which has been known for years. That eliminates it from your argument.

Now, as for the Herpolsheimer "back" similarity on the website link:

So:

1.) An honest dealer waiving his hand over the case in May 1999 indicating the cards are fake.

2.) The pattern on the back that looked and still does like a disco floor or coffee table (also from the 1970s) pattern.

3.) Reference to above:

It is undated, but based on internal evidence elsewhere in the binder it is from the late 1930s or early 1940s.

4.) First fakes of pre-WWII ever. No.

5.) Possibility of a person who works as a printer who has knowledge of cards including a love of Pre-WWII back in the 1970s. What a concept. A printer who collects cards and the thought of producing a group of the cards with a pattern which he may have seen on a disco floor which inspired him. The guy would have access to paper from the 1920's. Still, paper from the 1920's and pattern from the late 1930's or 1940's. Oh, we have the basis of a movie here. Alan Alda, however, is too old and Mr. Mint can no longer sue him. Oh, but I digress. My accurate memory despite a cold and Stage 2 Astrocytoma (Brain Cancer) doesn't get in the way.

So, to be clear, the Holsum Bread cards are real even though the pattern was found in a binder from the 1930's-40's because they have been known for years (I guess longer than the 24 years the Herpolsheimer's cards have been known).

The Herpolsheimer's cards are fake because someone in the 1970's decided the best way to make fake 1921 cards was to use a pattern from the same binder which looks (to you) like a disco floor.

Plus the dealer said they were fake (you said "waiving" again, so I guess I will stop asking you to stop). Plus it is possible for a printer to make fakes. Plus fakes exist of other sets.

I guess we are back at an impasse.

And I hope you were kidding about having brain cancer (that would be in bad taste, but at least you wouldn't have it). But if it is true, I only wish the best for you.

Last edited by molenick; 11-28-2023 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-28-2023, 10:44 AM

Quote:
So, to be clear, the Holsum Bread cards are real even though the pattern was found in a binder from the 1930's-40's because they have been known for years (I guess longer than the 24 years the Herpolsheimer's cards have been known).

The Herpolsheimer's cards are fake because someone in the 1970's decided the best way to make fake 1921 cards was to use a pattern from the same binder which looks (to you) like a disco floor.

Plus the dealer said they were fake (you said "waiving" again, so I guess I will stop asking you to stop). Plus it is possible for a printer to make fakes. Plus fakes exist of other sets.

I guess we are back at an impasse.

And I hope you were kidding about having brain cancer (that would be in bad taste, but at least you wouldn't have it). But if it is true, I only wish the best for you.
Brian,
You seem to have been a bit tongue-in-cheek with some of your posts, so I also hope that you are only kidding about brain cancer. I don't know you outside of this board, so I can't really gauge if this is your sense of humor or not. If you are serious, then I sincerely also wish you the best with beating it and recovery.
Old 11-28-2023, 10:46 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Hiccup.

The cards are fake. My apologies about your Cobb.

Happy Holidays
No need to offer up any apologies — I can sell it in 5 minutes for at least 50K. If anyone believed you, it would be worthless, much like your reputation now.
Old 11-28-2023, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Oh, we have the basis of a movie here. Alan Alda, however, is too old and Mr. Mint can no longer sue him. Oh, but I digress. My accurate memory despite a cold and Stage 2 Astrocytoma (Brain Cancer) doesn't get in the way.
I meant to quote this above ↑↑

"Brian,
You seem to have been a bit tongue-in-cheek with some of your posts, so I also hope that you are only kidding about brain cancer. I don't know you outside of this board, so I can't really gauge if this is your sense of humor or not. If you are serious, then I sincerely also wish you the best with beating it and recovery." -me, two mins ago
Old 11-28-2023, 10:51 AM

Cold habit. Still waving hi.

The Holsum's were known to exist. The Herpolsheimer's outside of the 1916 set, were not, until the dealer in my case in May 1999 shook his hand over them and said they weren't authentic/real or just plain fake. Your choice.

"The Herpolsheimer's cards are fake because someone in the 1970's decided the best way to make fake 1921 cards was to use a pattern from the same binder which looks (to you) like a disco floor."

You're making an assumption. The person may have seen the dance floor and the pattern or saw the pattern before going to press. Oh, did I give my uncle's background away again? Oh, so sorry. LOL.

"Plus the dealer said they were fake (you said "waiving" again, so I guess I will stop asking you to stop). Plus it is possible for a printer to make fakes. Plus fakes exist of other sets."

Got it as long as printer is in reference to a person and not something next to a desktop or laptop.

"I guess we are back at an impasse."

Hallelujah! This from an Agnostic. When weren't we at an impasse?

"And I hope you were kidding about having brain cancer (that would be in bad taste, but at least you wouldn't have it). But if it is true, I only wish the best for you."

No, I announced that on Net54 on December 25, 2020 and feel free to e-mail me for a fascinating attempted effort to vote for Alfred E. Neuman on November 3, 2020 followed by brain surgery on December 1, 2020 at UPMC Presbyterian Hospital for a 2 cm+ by 1 cm + by 3 cm + brain tumor. I asked the doctors to wake me for the Tuesday afternoon game that day. Yes, December 1, 2020 was a Tuesday and because of Covid the game was rescheduled to 4:00 p.m. My brother said he was leaving because I wasn't waking up and I told him that I was awake and as I spoke the words JuJu Smith-Schuster caught a touchdown pass. Not a bad way to awaken.

Other members on this board now of this story.

Waving goodbye here and look forward to your next post.

The guy in the photo is not me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Right handed wave.jpg (41.4 KB, 196 views)
Old 11-28-2023, 10:53 AM
Derek Granger

The earth is flat (as I wave my hand over my phone).

In 20 years, I hope someone puts as much effort defending my statement as Brian has put into the statement from “the unnamed dealer” from 20 years ago…

This thread feels like an “argument” with a flat-Earther. No amount of evidence will dissuade them. Brian is exhibiting a deep distrust of many knowledgeable experts (akin to scientists) on this forum. How can we rebuild this trust, Brian? I am truly worried about you.

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)

Last edited by h2oya311; 11-28-2023 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11-28-2023, 10:56 AM

Quote:
No need to offer up any apologies — I can sell it in 5 minutes for at least 50K. If anyone believed you, it would be worthless, much like your reputation now.

Wow! November 28, 2023 at 12:52 p.m. I have a ringing job endorsement by Jeffrey. Oh, that's right. I've found a way to not to have to work a job since November 1, 2013 and I am on no government aid or disability.

Sorry, Jeffrey, but I'll have to pleasantly turn down your ringing endorsement. That would have really stood out.

No offense.

Happy Holidays!
Old 11-28-2023, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
The earth is flat (as I wave my hand over my phone).

In 20 years, I hope someone puts as much effort defending my statement as Brian has put into the statement from “the unnamed dealer” from 20 years ago…

This thread feels like an “argument” with a flat-Earther. No amount of evidence will dissuade them. Brian is exhibiting a deep distrust of every expert on this forum. How can we rebuild this trust, Brian? I am truly worried about you.
Please don't sprain your wrist.
Old 11-28-2023, 11:06 AM
Don

Moderated debate at the Net54 dinner in Cleveland
Old 11-28-2023, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horzverti View Post
I meant to quote this above ↑↑

"Brian,
You seem to have been a bit tongue-in-cheek with some of your posts, so I also hope that you are only kidding about brain cancer. I don't know you outside of this board, so I can't really gauge if this is your sense of humor or not. If you are serious, then I sincerely also wish you the best with beating it and recovery." -me, two mins ago

Thank you, Curt. No change since the surgeon got 91-95% of the tumor in the left side of my brain during surgery at UPMC Presbyterian on December 1, 2020. Went through six months of radiation every weekday and a chemo capsule in my apartment each evening. Originally on November 3, 2020 in the emergency room at St Clair Hospital I asked the doctor the prognosis and at 11:43 (this is my time memory which drives my sister-in=law up a wall) I was told 5-7 median. I turned my head to the right to my brother and told him immediately I was going to be around 30 years.

I approach this battle like a barroom brawl. Everything is legal and if I have this SOB down, I am not allowing time for it to get back up. The tests over the past three have backed my statement to my brother.

The only thing in the six months that annoyed me is that I was restricted from driving which is completely understandable. It, however, nearly interrupted a tradition I have held since 2004. My father died January 8, 2002. He was cremated. We interred him after his birthday in 2003.

Every May 11 from 2004-2020 I traveled from Pittsburgh to Fremont/Ballville, Ohio to pay respects. Because of the cautionary period I was at risk of missing it, but a friend volunteered and drove to and from. I will always be appreciative. Next year would have been my dad's 99th birthday and 2025 of course is a date I am missing at no cost, so to the Stage 2 Astrocytoma the barroom brawl is on.
Old 11-28-2023, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshowandme View Post
Moderated debate at the Net54 dinner in Cleveland
Nope. I have a habit. No matter where the show is whether it be Chicago, Cleveland, Atlantic City and going back for this one......Baltimore in 2012, when I travel to the show, whether by plane (Chicago once) or by car (all the rest but did not go to Chicago this year) I go to the National and come back to sleep in my own bed the same evening.

Sorry to cost the lawyers cross-examination.

Still, feel free to look back on my posts here and in 2004 and try to find a contradiction. Good luck. There is better money betting on the Pirates winning a world series under Bob Nutting's ownership.
Old 11-28-2023, 11:31 AM

Quote:
I'm not saying you don't have one so don't interpret this in a negative way. I have a clear conscience to go with the experience. I'll take the conscience over the reputation. Now, this is coming from an Agnostic, but there was somebody in some book who had the same approach. Oh, my. Imagine an Agnostic with a conscience. No, I'm not Catholic so the holy water and exorcisms won't clear me of a clear and clean conscience.

Last edited by Brian Van Horn; 11-28-2023 at 11:37 AM.
Old 11-28-2023, 12:18 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Brian,

In all sincerity, and as someone who has had positive dealings with Brian in the past, this is where I am now as well. Just as a matter of epistemic humility, I would hope that anyone could acknowledge that any particular one of their beliefs has some non-zero probability of being incorrect, regardless of whether there is mounting evidence on the other side of the scale. As trivial a matter as baseball cards are in the grand scheme of things, this has been genuinely upsetting to behold.
Old 11-28-2023, 12:32 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Default I think I understand now

Can’t speak for the rest of the group, but the posts from this morning have helped to eliminate a lot of my confusion.

1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 11-28-2023, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
In all sincerity, and as someone who has had positive dealings with Brian in the past, this is where I am now as well. Just as a matter of epistemic humility, I would hope that anyone could acknowledge that any particular one of their beliefs has some non-zero probability of being incorrect, regardless of whether there is mounting evidence on the other side of the scale. As trivial a matter as baseball cards are in the grand scheme of things, this has been genuinely upsetting to behold.
Glenn,

First, Happy Holidays. I am sorry you feel that way, but from what i have experienced with the cards, although brief, they are fake, and I stand by that assertion.
Old 11-28-2023, 12:36 PM

Folks,

Feel free to pull this up in 2004 in addition to now. Nothing in my opinion or accounting of matters has changed. 19 years. No changes. Just additional fraudulent cards.
Old 11-28-2023, 12:41 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Glenn,

First, Happy Holidays. I am sorry you feel that way, but from what i have experienced with the cards, although brief, they are fake, and I stand by that assertion.
I appreciate that. Happy holidays to you as well.
Old 11-28-2023, 03:24 PM
Rhett Yeakley

This “debate” has become hilarious in its absurdity.

The only part I feel bad for is the next person that finds some REAL 1921 Herpolsheimer cards. They will potentially have to wade through this mess of a thread and read Brian’s comments that are not based on any actual evidence.

It is just bad for card scholarship to have this amount of misinformation and confirmation bias (by Brian) out there.

I echo Jeff’s thoughts on this being a painful thing to watch.

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 11-28-2023, 03:28 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Would someone please just threaten to sue Archive and bring this full circle?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-28-2023, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
This “debate” has become hilarious in its absurdity.

The only part I feel bad for is the next person that finds some REAL 1921 Herpolsheimer cards. They will potentially have to wade through this mess of a thread and read Brian’s comments that are not based on any actual evidence.

It is just bad for card scholarship to have this amount of misinformation and confirmation bias (by Brian) out there.

I echo Jeff’s thoughts on this being a painful thing to watch.
Rhett,

Still referring you back to post 240 which you haven't answered.

So, buying Herpolsheimer cards supposedly from 1921 with backs from the late 1930s or early 1940s is a good investment?
Old 11-28-2023, 03:40 PM
Michael

Quote:
Rhett,

Still referring you back to post 240 which you haven't answered.

So, buying Herpolsheimer cards supposedly from 1921 with backs from the late 1930s or early 1940s is a good investment?

The backs are not from 1930's-1940's. The binder is from 1930's-1940's. There is no way to know how old the back designs are just using the binder as evidence.

The binder also has a border that we all agree was used on legitimate 1921 Holsum Bread cards.

So if a border from this binder was used on 1921 Holsum Bread cards, why is it impossible that a border from the same binder was used on legitimate 1921 Herpolsheimer's cards?

No one is saying that this proves the Herpolsheimer's are real. But the binder also does not prove they are fake. It just proves that the border existed before the 1970's.

Last edited by molenick; 11-28-2023 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11-28-2023, 03:43 PM

Quote:
The backs are not from 1930's-1940's. The binder is from 1930's-1940's. There is no way to know how old the back designs are just using the binder as evidence.

The binder also has a border that we all agree was used on legitimate 1921 Holsum Bread cards.

So if a border from the book was used on a 1921 Holsum Bread card, why is it impossible that a border from the same book was used on a legitimate 1921 Herpolsheimer's card?

No one is saying that this proves the Herpolsheimer's are real. But the binder also does not prove they are fake. It just proves that the border existed before the 1970's.
I'll wave at the bold print.
Old 11-28-2023, 03:45 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
I wonder how long this thread will go before someone threatens to sue themself.

(it has happened before)
I was thinking that very same thought the other day...

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (190/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 11-28-2023, 03:48 PM
Michael

Quote:
I'll wave at the bold print.
In other words, you are admitting that you cannot explain how a border from the late 1930's can appear on a 1921 Holsum Bread card. Because according to the bold print, this is impossible.

Last edited by molenick; 11-28-2023 at 03:51 PM.
Old 11-28-2023, 03:56 PM

Quote:
In other words, you are admitting that you cannot explain why a border from the 1930's can appear on a 1921 Holsum Bread card. Because according to the bold print, this is impossible.
LOL! Hiccups! Oh, thank you.

"In other words, you are admitting that you cannot explain why a border from the 1930's can appear on a 1921 Holsum (actually the Herpolsheimer is fake) Bread card."

Not in other words. Those are the perfect words. Yes, I'm stealing a Hollywood punchline.

A border from the 1930's can appear on a 1921 Holsum Bread (actually the Herpolsheimer is fake) card when it is actually not from 1921, but a much later date and to go even further when the printer found the back design for his print.

Thank you. Out of all of the over 300 posts in this thread, yours was the best setup line of any.

Updated at 6:07 p.m. and altered from Michael's original post.

Thank you so much.

Waving you the best

Last edited by Brian Van Horn; 11-28-2023 at 04:09 PM.
Old 11-28-2023, 03:57 PM
Michael

Quote:
LOL! Hiccups! Oh, thank you.

"In other words, you are admitting that you cannot explain why a border from the 1930's can appear on a 1921 Holsum Bread card."

Not in other words. Those are the perfect words. Yes, I'm stealing a Hollywood punchline.

A border from the 1930's can appear on a 1921 Holsum Bread card when it is actually not from 1921, but a much later date and to go even further when the printer found the back design for his print.

Thank you. Out of all of the over 300 posts in this thread, yours was the best setup line of any.

Thank you so much.

Waving you the best
So you are saying the 1921 Holsum Bread cards are from a later date?
Old 11-28-2023, 04:04 PM

Oops. My cold. So, sorry. Graduated from waive to wave to misreading with a cataract in my left eye. So sorry. Holsum good. Herpolsheimer fraud.

Still, waving you a good day.

Look forward to reading from you.
Old 11-28-2023, 04:09 PM
Michael

Quote:
Oops. My cold. So, sorry. Graduated from waive to wave to misreading with a cataract in my left eye. So sorry. Holsum good. Herpolsheimer fraud.

Still, waving you a good day.

Look forward to reading from you.
But how can Holsum be good? According to the bold print, it has a back design from the 1930's.

Last edited by molenick; 11-28-2023 at 04:10 PM.
Old 11-28-2023, 04:19 PM

For, oh, about the fourth time I have covered this with you, but it's entertaining. The Holsum has been known before the 1930s. The Herpolsheimer? Fraud after the creation of the back pattern associated with it and please feel free to note I stated previously in a post that the pattern was close, but I was curious about the other pattern noted by number under the first in the book online. That pattern was not shown. Go to post #240 and scroll down.

Waving you on.

Best with your follow up. Notice how i haven't contradicted myself outside of one cold/cataract moment that just passed.

Another wave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Right handed wave.jpg (41.4 KB, 128 views)
Old 11-28-2023, 04:26 PM

Heads up. Going out shopping. So, if it's a slow response.
Old 11-28-2023, 04:27 PM
Michael

No, no more follow-ups. We are going round in circles, so I hereby waive my right to continue to participate in this thread.

Last edited by molenick; 11-28-2023 at 04:39 PM.
Old 11-28-2023, 04:30 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Quote:
For, oh, about the fourth time I have covered this with you, but it's entertaining.
Welcome to our world Brian…but I assure you it is far less entertaining for us.

Dipping out of the discussion (again)

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 11-28-2023, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
We won't entertain that notion. However, whilst everyone has been debating the veracity of the 1921 Herpolshimers, we have acquired several cards off our World's Toughest Want List.
Closed Thread