NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2023, 11:58 AM
Michael

I don't know what "nope" means in this case. Please elaborate.
My avatar is a drawing of a 1958 Topps Hank Aaron by my daughter. If you are interested in one in a similar style based on the card of your choice, details can be found by searching threads with the title phrase Custom Baseball Card Artwork or by PMing me.
Old 11-27-2023, 11:58 AM
Joh.n Spen.cer

And the beat goes on. Cher.
Old 11-27-2023, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molenick View Post
I don't know what "nope" means in this case. Please elaborate.
1. We disagree.
2. The "Herpolsheimer's" brand, not the 1916 one, but the one we have been discussing, is not from 1921, but from a later date. Have an older looking design makes the fakes easier to sell.
Old 11-27-2023, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
It certainly is.

I was going to post that the e121 cards were typographed.

As far as faking offset transfers, it's not easy. If you were newly typographing a set of cards, making offset transfers while the cards were still wet would be very easy.

There are exceptions, some inks may never completely dry. And some are more susceptible to chemical alteration.
Like the vegetable oil based inks many magazines are printed with today. They've improved, but SI from around the time they switched were easily damaged by handling them.

And at least one formulation of ink used in the 1870's-80's can leave a transfer from weight placed on it during shipping.

Generally though, the inks were well formulated to dry well and quickly, and don't leave transfers post factory.
Steve,

Thank you for this post.
Old 11-27-2023, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
And the beat goes on. Cher.
Well, Cher was big in the 1970's and the design on the back of the "1921" Herpolsheimer's would have fit in well as a floor design for her performances.
Old 11-27-2023, 01:46 PM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Van Horn View Post
1. We disagree.
2. The "Herpolsheimer's" brand, not the 1916 one, but the one we have been discussing, is not from 1921, but from a later date. Have an older looking design makes the fakes easier to sell.
Before you said (many times) that you didn't like the 1921 border because it looked like a 1970s design.

Now that someone has shown that the design existed well before 1970, you seem to be saying you don't like them because having "an older looking design makes the fakes easier to sell".

As far as I can tell, your only basis for calling the cards fake is that a dealer in 1999 said they were.

When you mention there is no address on the back, others point out that that is in keeping with earlier Herpolsheimer's cards, printed Herpolsheimer's ads, and other 1921 cards (like Holsum Bread Standard Biscuit).

When you question why no ads were placed in 1921 newspapers for the cards, someone finds an ad.

When you say the borders are from the 1970s, someone finds proof that they are not. Which somehow you use to support that the cards are fake.

Your argument is essentially they are fake because I know they are counterfeit because someone told me they are not real. I do not count "LOL" and "I will not be bidding" as arguments. Nor do I see the relevance of AI being used in the future to counterfeit cards, speculation that the next batch is due in 2034, or the fact that it is possible to counterfeit cards.

I am curious if the dealer from 1999 has looked at every card in your collection. Otherwise, how do you know they are not all fakes?
My avatar is a drawing of a 1958 Topps Hank Aaron by my daughter. If you are interested in one in a similar style based on the card of your choice, details can be found by searching threads with the title phrase Custom Baseball Card Artwork or by PMing me.

Last edited by molenick; 11-27-2023 at 04:54 PM. Reason: It was pointed out that I incorrectly referred to Holsum Bread as having no address....I should have said Standard Biscuit. I apologize for this error.
Old 11-27-2023, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Before you said (many times) that you didn't like the 1921 border because it looked like a 1970s design.

Now that someone has shown that the design existed well before 1970, you seem to be saying you don't like them because having "an older looking design makes the fakes easier to sell".

As far as I can tell, your only basis for calling the cards fake is that a dealer in 1999 said they were.

When you mention there is no address on the back, others point out that that is in keeping with earlier Herpolsheimer's cards, printed Herpolsheimer's ads, and other 1921 cards (like Holsum Bread).

When you question why no ads were placed in 1921 newspapers for the cards, someone finds an ad.

When you say the borders are from the 1970s, someone finds proof that they are not. Which somehow you use to support that the cards are fake.

Your argument is essentially they are fake because I know they are counterfeit because someone told me they are not real. I do not count "LOL" and "I will not be bidding" as arguments. Nor do I see the relevance of AI being used in the future to counterfeit cards, speculation that the next batch is due in 2034, or the fact that it is possible to counterfeit cards.

I am curious if the dealer from 1999 has looked at every card in your collection. Otherwise, how do you know they are not all fakes?
Before 1970, but the dealer indicated the cards were made in the 1970's and it still looks like a 1970's disco floor design but keep me in mind some 1970's disco floor designs harked back to the 1930's and 1940's and the link in the previous post placed the design in those years.

"When you mention there is no address on the back, others point out that that is in keeping with earlier Herpolsheimer's cards, printed Herpolsheimer's ads, and other 1921 cards (like Holsum Bread)."

There was only one other Herpolsheimer's set of cards which was the real group from 1916. No address. 1921 Holsum Bread? Please see the attachments. Showing front just so you know who is on the card and back for the address.

"Your argument is essentially they are fake because I know they are counterfeit because someone told me they are not real. I do not count "LOL" and "I will not be bidding" as arguments. Nor do I see the relevance of AI being used in the future to counterfeit cards, speculation that the next batch is due in 2034, or the fact that it is possible to counterfeit cards."

I saw the cards, I discussed with the dealer, I handled the cards and I looked at the back design and he mentioned that they were made in the 1970's. It is incredibly possible to counterfeit cards. Feel free to do a Google search. AI will simply make this a higher tech accomplishment in the future.

"I am curious if the dealer from 1999 has looked at every card in your collection. Otherwise, how do you know they are not all fakes?[/QUOTE]"

LOL with all due respect and Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1921 Holsum Bread Davenport [Front].jpg (106.8 KB, 266 views)
File Type: jpg 1921 Holsum Bread Davenport [Back].jpg (117.3 KB, 265 views)
Old 11-27-2023, 04:42 PM
Michael

My mistake on the Holsum Bread...they do have the address....there are so many sets to keep track of...I meant Standard Biscuit.

Otherwise, we are just back to agree to disagree.

You will not be persuaded the cards are real and everyone else on the board will not be persuaded they are fake, so I guess I will just drop it.

Last edited by molenick; 11-27-2023 at 04:44 PM.
Old 11-27-2023, 05:21 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Seriously, this is starting to feel more and more like an episode of “Punk’d” than a serious discussion of whether the cards are real or fake.

Absent an anecdotal testimony Brian heard 2 decades ago he is full of it and he knows it. He doesn’t have to accept the consensus of this board, but to keep on digging in his heels when everything he had questioned has been debunked is asinine. He doesn’t want to be wrong but… YOU, BRIAN, are wrong and are making a poor showing of yourself here by not being able to accept that fact.

I said I was done with the thread earlier and apologize for even chiming back in but these E121-like cards are kinda special to me and I have dedicated more time to studying them than perhaps anyone else in the world. The idea that someone could conjure up fakes that would fool me or any of the others testifying to their legitimacy is actually rather insulting.

Imagine this scenario…a fake set is made in the 1970’s that was previously unknown to exist…then coincidentally the company that the person decided to fake as the maker of the fraud set DID in fact have an actual promotion distributing baseball cards in the same style, format and year as the “fake” cards(which was unknown to the fraudster) and then several advertisements are found to confirm the promotion (which would have been unknown to the fraudster)… THiS IS INSANELY COINCIDENTAL!!!

Or…The cards are real and Brian is full of Shit!

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 11-27-2023 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11-27-2023, 05:33 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

You can only win with facts and evidence and reason with a person who also accepts those as the grounds of battle and the rules of engagement. You can’t reason with an idiot who rejects them in favor of an appeal to authority to an anonymous dealer’s claim they may even be making up too.

Nobody should change their mind because of the credentials of people who say otherwise or because of peer pressure; they should because their claim is absurdist and illogical and all of the evidence is against it and points to the exact opposite.

This is the stupidest thread in a long time. I love it.
Old 11-27-2023, 07:13 PM

Michael,

Thank you for the response.
Old 11-27-2023, 07:29 PM

Now, now, now Rhett.

I am still waiting for response to my post to your #218 yesterday. Here is what you stated:

"The weird part about your theory of fake cards Brian is...

the subjects included in the "fake" Herpolsheimer cards line up perfectly with the D350 Standard Biscuit and Holsum Bread (Type 2) set perfectly as VERY early 1921 sets and pre-date the earliest version of the E121 Series 80 set because by the time the E121-80 set was printed many of the "dropped" cards had been eliminated from the lineup.

WHAT MAKES THIS INTERESTING?

This knowledge is only known by me and a handful of other people in the entire world and was known by nobody in the 1970's.

And, when I say they line up perfectly...I mean there are 0 outliers! There is not a single mistake made in the Herpolsheimer's checklist and includes copies of cards that were not known to exist in the "E121 family of sets" in the 1970's...like the Davenport card (which is only included in the sets listed above and 1-2 copies in the world as a W575-1)

With all due respect you are being ridiculous about this subject and you seem to really have a hard time with admitting when you are wrong.

I am done with this conversation at this point and would advise everyone to stop "feeding the troll" as Brian is obviously not looking at anything here objectively and is (I can only imagine at this point) is somehow getting pleasure from his troll behavior."

No errors, but no answer so far to Peckinpaugh/Peckinbaugh in existence in the Herpolsheimer knock off in my response and that is just one example.

Also, here is another one.

Post #240 today which states

Wow, this is an all-time thread. Like others I enjoy printmaking so, FWIW, with a fairly quick search I was able to find both borders available in the 1930s and 40s, so the border in question was definitely available before the 1970s.

https://archive.org/details/LanstonM...e/n23/mode/2up

Go to the link and below the images?

A typographical specimen booklet containing borders and ornaments for casting on the Lanston Monotype Composition Caster, Lanston Monotype Type-Caster, Lanston Monotype Giant Caster and Monotype-Thompson Type-Caster. This booklet is from a Lanston Monotype specimen book (binder) bearing the general title "Monotype Type Faces." It is undated, but based on internal evidence elsewhere in the binder it is from the late 1930s or early 1940s.

Oh, we're just off by the early 1920's (not) to the late 1930's or 1940's. Still, let's go with the lesser number of years and be off by under twenty years. Yeah, that's the ticket. Refund! LOL!

Last edited by Brian Van Horn; 11-27-2023 at 07:45 PM.
Old 11-27-2023, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
You can only win with facts and evidence and reason with a person who also accepts those as the grounds of battle and the rules of engagement. You can’t reason with an idiot who rejects them in favor of an appeal to authority to an anonymous dealer’s claim they may even be making up too.

Nobody should change their mind because of the credentials of people who say otherwise or because of peer pressure; they should because their claim is absurdist and illogical and all of the evidence is against it and points to the exact opposite.

This is the stupidest thread in a long time. I love it.
Greg,

Well, we have something in common.
Old 11-27-2023, 07:39 PM

By the way gentlemen,

I have to give credit where it is deserved. From last Wednesday morning until today I have had a cold. It caused me to back out of not one or two, but three Thanksgiving dinners. I thank you seriously for your responses in this thread for making me recover.

Sincerely,

Brian Van Horn

P.S.

Keep the responses coming. The "1921" Herpolsheimer cards are fakes.
Old 11-27-2023, 07:45 PM

The brilliant irony of this terribly annoying thread that won’t die (and I just bumped it) is that the Herpolsheimers (and many LOTG lots) probably went for more because of Brian’s (incorrect) claims, which lead to a runaway thread of publicity and produced what, I think, is previously unknown and lock-solid proof of authenticity. Classic
Old 11-27-2023, 07:50 PM
Rhett Yeakley

In the Holsum Bread set the Peckinpaugh card in Type 1 (1920) has him correctly identified as “PeckinPaugh” while the Type 2 (1921) has his name mistakenly listed as “ PeckinBaugh”

The incorrect spelling was continued into the next round of production (which included the E121 Series of 80 cards (Type 1) cards

The last round of production of the cards with their various backs included E121-80 Type 2 & 3 backs, Gasslers’s and Koester’s Bread has the company RE-correcting the card to “PeckinPaugh”

What exactly do you think you are proving with that?

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 11-27-2023 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-27-2023, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
In the Holsum Bread set the Peckinpaugh card in Type 1 (1920) has him correctly identified as “PeckinPaugh” while the Type 2 (1921) has his name mistakenly listed as “ PeckinBaugh”

The mistaken spelled was continued into the next round of production (which included the E121 Series of 80 cards (Type 1) cards

The last round of production of the cards with their various backs included E121-80 Type 2 & 3 backs, Gasslers’s and Koester’s Bread has the comoany RE-correcting the card to “PeckinPaugh”

What exactly do you think you are proving with that?
Rhett,

Please review your previous post, not your response you just made. You stated:

"And, when I say they line up perfectly...I mean there are 0 outliers! There is not a single mistake made in the Herpolsheimer's checklist and includes copies of cards that were not known to exist in the "E121 family of sets" in the 1970's...like the Davenport card (which is only included in the sets listed above and 1-2 copies in the world as a W575-1)"

Well mistake could be interpreted as a mistake in the name or in the nameplate of a player, thus the question involving Peckinpaugh/Peckinbaugh.

Now, as for the link:

Just under 20 to 20 years off. Uh, hmmm.

Go to the link and below the images?

A typographical specimen booklet containing borders and ornaments for casting on the Lanston Monotype Composition Caster, Lanston Monotype Type-Caster, Lanston Monotype Giant Caster and Monotype-Thompson Type-Caster. This booklet is from a Lanston Monotype specimen book (binder) bearing the general title "Monotype Type Faces." It is undated, but based on internal evidence elsewhere in the binder it is from the late 1930s or early 1940s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1921-22 W575-1 Peckinpaugh [Front].jpg (136.2 KB, 209 views)

Last edited by Brian Van Horn; 11-27-2023 at 08:13 PM.
Old 11-27-2023, 08:15 PM
Rhett Yeakley

It lines up with the timeline of Peckinpaugh cards perfectly.

Something that would not be done by a fraudster with no knowledge of the sets.

Old 11-27-2023, 08:16 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Your peckinpaugh blank back lines up with the Koester’s printing at the end of the 1921 season (at the same time as E121 Series of 80 Type 2 & 3, Gassler’s Bread as well) when they had recorrected his name.

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 11-27-2023 at 08:19 PM.
Old 11-27-2023, 08:17 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

424. Scorched Mirth
A welcome and unexpected post in the middle of a very contentious thread which suddenly provides comic relief and brings smiles to people’s faces.

See also: Laftereffects - when other people follow suit and keep the light-hearted vibe going to ease the tension.

Since every thread is more enjoyable with 'Collectorisms,' I will shamelessly (Herpolshamelessly??) ride my pun horse out of the barn and quickly (way too quickly...definitely shoulda spent some more time on inventing this garbage) try a little 'Scorched Mirth' in this one (obviously not taking sides in the matter, just reporting what I see)...

Herpolshaman
Someone who stands up, sticks to his guns and preaches his truth to collectors that the 1921 Herpolsheimer’s cards are fakes.

Herpolshammer
Someone who knowingly pushes the false narrative that 1921 Herpolsheimer’s cards are fakes.

Herpol Rain
The torrents of on-line abuse pouring down on anyone daring to suggest the 1921 Herpolsheimer’s cards are fakes.

Herpolshamers
Members who angrily go after anyone making the claim that the 1921 Herpolsheimer’s cards are fakes.

Herpolshimsham
The act of tap dancing around all of the abuse flying your way in a thread about 1921 Herpolsheimer’s cards.

Addrest Assured
The belief that the lack of an address on back either proves 100% that the 1921 Herpolsheimer’s cards are fakes OR proves 100% that they are real.

Cher Cropper
Anyone who is able to somehow slyly sneak Cherilyn Sarkisian’s moniker into the middle of a baseball card debate thread.

Border Blather
The back and forth from each side of the debate arguing over whether or not the advertisement border and ornament design is the proof that wins the case for their side.

‘16 Scandals (slang)
Relying on the known facts about the Herpolsheimer’s cards issued five years earlier to prove that any claims purporting the 1921 cards to be fake are a wanton deception.

Boysfashionistas
General fans of the Herpolsheimer’s cards.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 11-27-2023, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
It lines up with the timeline of Peckinpaugh cards perfectly.

Something that would not be done by a fraudster with no knowledge of the sets.
OK. Now, for the late 1930's, early 1940's on the back. Still looking forward in about ten years to the Peckinpaugh sample.

My apologies.
Old 11-27-2023, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
424. Scorched Mirth
A welcome and unexpected post in the middle of a very contentious thread which suddenly provides comic relief and brings smiles to people’s faces.

See also: Laftereffects - when other people follow suit and keep the light-hearted vibe going to ease the tension.

Since every thread is more enjoyable with 'Collectorisms,' I will shamelessly (Herpolshamelessly??) ride my pun horse out of the barn and quickly (way too quickly...definitely shoulda spent some more time on inventing this garbage) try a little 'Scorched Mirth' in this one (obviously not taking sides in the matter, just reporting what I see)...

Herpolshaman
Someone who stands up, sticks to his guns and preaches his truth to collectors that the 1921 Herpolsheimer’s cards are fakes.

Herpolshammer
Someone who knowingly pushes the false narrative that 1921 Herpolsheimer’s cards are fakes.

Herpol Rain
The torrents of on-line abuse pouring down on anyone daring to suggest the 1921 Herpolsheimer’s cards are fakes.

Herpolshamers
Members who angrily go after anyone making the claim that the 1921 Herpolsheimer’s cards are fakes.

Herpolshimsham
The act of tap dancing around all of the abuse flying your way in a thread about 1921 Herpolsheimer’s cards.

Addrest Assured
The belief that the lack of an address on back either proves 100% that the 1921 Herpolsheimer’s cards are fakes OR proves 100% that they are real.

Cher Cropper
Anyone who is able to somehow slyly sneak Cherilyn Sarkisian’s moniker into the middle of a baseball card debate thread.

Border Blather
The back and forth from each side of the debate arguing over whether or not the advertisement border and ornament design is the proof that wins the case for their side.

‘16 Scandals (slang)
Relying on the known facts about the Herpolsheimer’s cards issued five years earlier to prove that any claims purporting the 1921 cards to be fake are a wanton deception.

Boysfashionistas
General fans of the Herpolsheimer’s cards.
Thank you. Also, during this post this evening I have been listening to the song "The Eggplant that Ate Chicago" which is by Norman Greenbaum and puts him one beyond the one hit wonder number. Remember "Spirit in the Sky". No, I did not hear this song ever on Dr. Demento:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfZ1ZHDAq08

Last edited by Brian Van Horn; 11-27-2023 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-27-2023, 08:42 PM
Don

If I read 272 posts, am I going to be convinced that these cards are real or fake?
Old 11-27-2023, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshowandme View Post
If I read 272 posts, am I going to be convinced that these cards are real or fake?
Save your time. Both sides will be holding their ground.
Old 11-27-2023, 08:53 PM
Michael

Quote:
OK. Now, for the late 1930's, early 1940's on the back. Still looking forward in about ten years to the Peckinpaugh sample.

My apologies.
The designs found were from the late 1930's-early 1940's.

That clearly disproves your idea that this was a disco-inspired design from the 1970's as you stated several times:
  • Post 217 "I also handled the cards with concern about the design which looked like, in my opinion, something influenced by the disco era"
  • Post 245 "and the one on the back of the "1921" still looks like the design of a disco floor or even some coffee tables from the 1970's"
  • Post 255 "Well, Cher was big in the 1970's and the design on the back of the "1921" Herpolsheimer's would have fit in well as a floor design for her performances".

It does not disprove the idea the design could have existed in 1921.

The sample book of borders has a design used by Holsum Bread in 1921. That does not mean the Holsum Bread cards are fake.

Let me put it this way. Say I discovered a magazine article from 1940 about airplanes. That would disprove that airplanes originated in the 1970's. But it would not mean airplanes did not exist in 1921.

Last edited by molenick; 11-27-2023 at 08:55 PM.
Old 11-27-2023, 08:59 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshowandme View Post
They were conclusively proven real through new genuine search as a result of a complete moron making shit up and lying.
Old 11-27-2023, 09:10 PM

Quote:
The designs found were from the late 1930's-early 1940's.

That clearly disproves your idea that this was a disco-inspired design from the 1970's as you stated several times:
  • Post 217 "I also handled the cards with concern about the design which looked like, in my opinion, something influenced by the disco era"
  • Post 245 "and the one on the back of the "1921" still looks like the design of a disco floor or even some coffee tables from the 1970's"
  • Post 255 "Well, Cher was big in the 1970's and the design on the back of the "1921" Herpolsheimer's would have fit in well as a floor design for her performances".

It does not disprove the idea the design could have existed in 1921.

The sample book of borders has a design used by Holsum Bread in 1921. That does not mean the Holsum Bread cards are fake.

Let me put it this way. Say I discovered a magazine article from 1940 about airplanes. That would disprove that airplanes originated in the 1970's. But it would not mean airplanes did not exist in 1921.
Michael,

"It does not disprove the idea the design could have existed in 1921."

The Herpolsheimer cards are not proof the design existed in 1921.

From my post earlier today (#257):

"I saw the cards, I discussed with the dealer, I handled the cards and I looked at the back design and he mentioned that they were made in the 1970's. It is incredibly possible to counterfeit cards. Feel free to do a Google search. AI will simply make this a higher tech accomplishment in the future."

Wow. 1930's, 1940's and 1970's similarities. The Big Band music, however, was by far the better music. Oops! Another discussion but has to be on another board.

Now, let me refresh you on a post (#240 earlier today):

My response in post 246 earlier today:

Can I direct your attention to the synopsis in the white of the website below the page you offered in your information?

"A typographical specimen booklet containing borders and ornaments for casting on the Lanston Monotype Composition Caster, Lanston Monotype Type-Caster, Lanston Monotype Giant Caster and Monotype-Thompson Type-Caster. This booklet is from a Lanston Monotype specimen book (binder) bearing the general title "Monotype Type Faces." It is undated, but based on internal evidence elsewhere in the binder it is from the late 1930s or early 1940s."

I apologize, but this paragraph eliminates the design.

Ah, revitalized design from the 1930's or 1940's in the 1970's on a 1921 card. Forget the math here. What's under or over 20 years difference? Uh, hum. Cough, cough. They must have planning for a bumper crop with this "set". Man, the aroma.
Old 11-27-2023, 09:39 PM
Michael

I agree that "The Herpolsheimer cards are not proof the design existed in 1921."

I never said it was proof.

I just said that, like the Holsum Bread design found in the same book, the design could have existed in 1921 but could not have originated in the 1970's.

The problem with saying "Ah, revitalized design from the 1930's or 1940's in the 1970's on a 1921 card" is that you are starting by assuming they are 1970's cards (or at least assuming that this particular design was used because it was revitalized in the 1970's). Why would a counterfeiter use a 1970's style design if they were trying to forge a 1921 card?

It still comes down to two things: the dealer said they were from the 1970's and it is possible to counterfeit cards. I am not disputing that these things are true. I (and I think most of us) are just saying the dealer was incorrect.

And if "this paragraph eliminates the design" how did another design from the book get on a 1921 Holsum Bread card?

Last edited by molenick; 11-27-2023 at 09:49 PM.
Old 11-27-2023, 09:49 PM

Quote:
I agree that "The Herpolsheimer cards are not proof the design existed in 1921."

I never said it was proof.

I just said that, like the Holsum Bread design found in the same book, the design could have existed in 1921 but could not have originated in the 1970's.

The problem with saying "Ah, revitalized design from the 1930's or 1940's in the 1970's on a 1921 card" is that you are starting by assuming they are 1970's cards.

It still comes down to two things: the dealer said they were from the 1970's and it is possible to counterfeit cards. I am not disputing that these things are true. I (and I think most of us) are just saying the dealer was incorrect.
"I never said it was proof.

I just said that, like the Holsum Bread design found in the same book, the design could have existed in 1921 but could not have originated in the 1970s."

My apologies.

"The problem with saying "Ah, revitalized design from the 1930's or 1940's in the 1970's on a 1921 card" is that you are starting by assuming they are 1970's cards."

Please review:

I have stated the dealer in May 1999 told me at the table the cards were printed in the 1970's.

"And if "this paragraph eliminates the design" how did another design from the book get on a 1921 Holsum Bread card."

I've been waiting for this one all day. THANK YOU!!!!
The Holsums have been known for a very long time. The "1921" Herpolsheimer plus a design from either the late 1930's or 1940's plus a dealer at the table in May 1999 waiving his hand over the cards in the case and stating they were printed in the 1970's equals not original. Those three outweigh, but the Holsum design was also the late 1930's or 1940's from reading the link and interpreting.

Summary: The "1921" Herpolsheimer cards are fakes, but will probably have more findings in the future. Wow, the possibilities. I'll leave out the incentives for the possibilities because they are obvious.

Last edited by Brian Van Horn; 11-27-2023 at 09:52 PM.
Old 11-27-2023, 09:51 PM
Michael

Quote:
"I never said it was proof.

I just said that, like the Holsum Bread design found in the same book, the design could have existed in 1921 but could not have originated in the 1970s."

My apologies.

"The problem with saying "Ah, revitalized design from the 1930's or 1940's in the 1970's on a 1921 card" is that you are starting by assuming they are 1970's cards."

Please review:

I have stated the dealer in May 1999 told me at the table the cards were printed in the 1970's.

"And if "this paragraph eliminates the design" how did another design from the book get on a 1921 Holsum Bread card."

I've been waiting for this one all day. THANK YOU!!!!
The Holsums have been known for a very long time. The "1921" Herpolsheimer plus a design from either the late 1930's or 1940's plus a dealer at the table in May 1999 waiving his hand over the cards in the case and stating they were printed in the 1970's equals not original. Those three outweigh, but the Holsum was also the late 1930's or 1940's.
Well, it is too late to continue arguing. But can you do me one favor and please stop saying "waiving"? That means putting a player on waivers (among other definitions). I think we can all agree that "waving" is the correct word.

Last edited by molenick; 11-27-2023 at 09:54 PM.
Old 11-27-2023, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Well, it is too late to continue arguing. But can you do me one favor and please stop saying "waiving"? That means putting a player on waivers (among other definitions). I think we can all agree that "waving" is the correct word.
Waving goodnight and my cold obviously has had one side effect.

Another one was naming the attachment Waving High. I know. That one's open for interpretation with the photo. Oh, the effects of a cold.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Waving hi.jpg (69.1 KB, 191 views)

Last edited by Brian Van Horn; 11-27-2023 at 10:32 PM.
Old 11-28-2023, 03:46 AM
Andy Wa.lko

I apologize in advance, I try to mostly lurk on this forum because just about everyone else on here is so much more knowledgeable than me, and I know you all have known each other for years and no one has a clue who I am, but an aspect of this discussion has really stuck in my craw. Brian you said the design looks like something from the 70s, "inspired by disco". Someone posted evidence the design existed several decades earlier, so clearly NOT inspired by disco. Now you're trying to use that as evidence the cards couldn't have been made in 1921? What? Talk about moving the goalposts. Even if the designs posted were from the 30s or 40s it doesn't mean they were all brand new, some could have been around for years before that, correct? The point of that being posted (I believe) was to establish the design existed well before the 70s. NOT that the design hadn't been around for even longer. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Last edited by hammertime; 11-28-2023 at 03:47 AM.
Old 11-28-2023, 05:48 AM
qualitycards

Quote:
Save your time. Both sides will be holding their ground.
Brian it seems that you have your stance & the rest of the world thinks otherwise
Old 11-28-2023, 06:03 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I have a feeling I will be reading updates to this thread in 30 years in a senior care facility somewhere. Nurse yelling at me to put the phone down.
Old 11-28-2023, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I have a feeling I will be reading updates to this thread in 30 years in a senior care facility somewhere. Nurse yelling at me to put the phone down.
Thank you for covering the next batches.
Old 11-28-2023, 06:08 AM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

Reader's Digest Version: Brian asserts that the cards are fake, because someone long ago told him they were fake. Brian believes the person was in a position to know and had no obvious reason to lie about it.

Meanwhile, numerous hobby stalwarts have analyzed the cards and concluded that they are real, including PSA. As such the preponderance of people (including myself) have concluded that the probability is very high that they are real, and Brian's account is flawed in some unknowable way.

Despite the over-heated use of phrases like "lock-solid proof", "conclusively proven real", and ". . . that fact (that Brian is wrong)", there will never be complete certainty because there is no practical way to definitively prove the cards are real. Expert opinion is occasionally wrong.
Old 11-28-2023, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime View Post
I apologize in advance, I try to mostly lurk on this forum because just about everyone else on here is so much more knowledgeable than me, and I know you all have known each other for years and no one has a clue who I am, but an aspect of this discussion has really stuck in my craw. Brian you said the design looks like something from the 70s, "inspired by disco". Someone posted evidence the design existed several decades earlier, so clearly NOT inspired by disco. Now you're trying to use that as evidence the cards couldn't have been made in 1921? What? Talk about moving the goalposts. Even if the designs posted were from the 30s or 40s it doesn't mean they were all brand new, some could have been around for years before that, correct? The point of that being posted (I believe) was to establish the design existed well before the 70s. NOT that the design hadn't been around for even longer. The two are not mutually exclusive.
Andy,

I was told by the dealer that had these cards in his case at the Robert Morris Show in May 1999 that the cards were fake as he waived his hand over the case. He also said they were made in the 1970's. I looked at them, handled them and observed the backs which I thought look like they were made in the 1970's because they looked like disco dance floors.

Now, another member here trying to provide evidence the backs were real, provided the following link in post #240 yesterday at #921 a.m.

Just one little problem with the evidence:

So, let's review:

1.) The dealer at the Robert Morris Show said the cards were fake when we met in May 1999 and made in the 1970's. I reviewed the cards and I had a problem with the back design.

2.) From the link provided in post #240 yesterday:

It is undated, but based on internal evidence elsewhere in the binder it is from the late 1930s or early 1940s.

Now, these basic points and I have pointed out other ones are that the cards are fake. They were in 1999 and 2004 with the first batch and 2019 and this year with the second. Waiting on three times the charm, but that will not result in them being real.
Old 11-28-2023, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPoto View Post

Reader's Digest Version: Brian asserts that the cards are fake, because someone long ago told him they were fake. Brian believes the person was in a position to know and had no obvious reason to lie about it.

Meanwhile, numerous hobby stalwarts have analyzed the cards and concluded that they are real, including PSA. As such the preponderance of people (including myself) have concluded that the probability is very high that they are real, and Brian's account is flawed in some unknowable way.

Despite the over-heated use of phrases like "lock-solid proof", "conclusively proven real", and ". . . that fact (that Brian is wrong)", there will never be complete certainty because there is no practical way to definitively prove the cards are real. Expert opinion is occasionally wrong.
George,

Well put. Just not heated from my side. Amused.
Old 11-28-2023, 06:35 AM
Mike Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPoto View Post

Your overall point stands, but I have a minor quibble. The issue is not the "Brian's account is flawed in some unknowable way." The issue is that, even accepting everything he claims as 100% true, his conclusion that the cards are fake is built on several logical fallacies.

Even if everyone could agree that nothing is truly certain, the anecdotal evidence that these are fake is laughably weak. It reminded me of Thanksgiving this year, when my dad quoted the My Pillow guy as gospel and assured me that all the evidence I needed was that the My Pillow guy knows his stuff.
Old 11-28-2023, 06:36 AM
Michael

Quote:
Andy,

I was told by the dealer that had these cards in his case at the Robert Morris Show in May 1999 that the cards were fake as he waived his hand over
I asked you nicely to stop saying "waived" (although technically I asked you to stop saying "waiving" so maybe that is why you said "waived" this time).

Last edited by molenick; 11-28-2023 at 06:38 AM.
Old 11-28-2023, 06:45 AM

Quote:
I asked you nicely to stop saying "waived" (although technically I asked you to stop saying "waiving" so maybe that is why you said "waived" this time).
Michael,

Which post? You stated that in your last post last night. By the way waving you good morning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Right handed wave.jpg (41.4 KB, 140 views)

Last edited by Brian Van Horn; 11-28-2023 at 06:45 AM.
Old 11-28-2023, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunboat82 View Post
your overall point stands, but i have a minor quibble. The issue is not the "brian's account is flawed in some unknowable way." the issue is that, even accepting everything he claims as 100% true, his conclusion that the cards are fake is built on several logical fallacies.

Even if everyone could agree that nothing is truly certain, the anecdotal evidence that these are fake is laughably weak. It reminded me of thanksgiving this year, when my dad quoted the my pillow guy as gospel and assured me that all the evidence i needed was that the my pillow guy knows his stuff.
lol!
Old 11-28-2023, 06:54 AM
Michael

Quote:
Michael,

Which post? You stated that in your last post last night. By the way waving you good morning.
In post 280 I said "Well, it is too late to continue arguing. But can you do me one favor and please stop saying "waiving"? That means putting a player on waivers (among other definitions). I think we can all agree that "waving" is the correct word."

In post 281 you seemed to agree with me and blamed it on a cold. You said "Waving goodnight and my cold obviously has had one side effect."

Then in post 287 (which I quoted in my post 290) you said "as he waived his hand over the case".

In order to find at least one thing we can all agree on, can we agree that any form of the word "waive" is not correct for describing someone waving his hand at the cards?

Last edited by molenick; 11-28-2023 at 06:58 AM.
Old 11-28-2023, 06:59 AM

Sorry, but still have the cold. Let's wave on.
Old 11-28-2023, 07:24 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Herpolsheimer's Impact on Climate Change should be explored further. Carbon 14 dating to establish the age of the paper/cardboard used in the creation of all the real and faux Herpolsheimer exemplars is needed information. Who among you is certain of the value of Herpolsheimer carbon credits? Isn't everyone who deals in Herpolsheimers breaking the law including auction houses? Aren't more federal agents needed to monitor the Herpolsheimer card market? These are all relevant questions that need to be answered. You can't make this up, but I can.

Furthermore the gentlemen in 1999 and 2004 who espoused the Fabricated Herpolsheimer Hypothesis (FHH) need to be identified and subpoenaed for questioning. Was he/she/they really a dealer(s)? Where was he/she/they born? Were he/she/they an interplanetary refugee transported to earth via asteroid? Is this all part of an intergalactic conspiracy? My friends on this forum, I fear, are merely scratching the surface of the FHH.

My advice is to forget the cards and invest in the Herpolsheimer short pants market, or should you "short" the Herpolsheimer long pants market. My advice to Leon is to be wary of Herpolsheimer pants flippers. Where there's a flipper, there's a scammer.

Carry on.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 11-28-2023 at 07:46 AM.
Old 11-28-2023, 07:40 AM
Scott S

Despite trailing right now by 28,000, another week of this thread and Brian will surpass Leon for most lifetime N54 posts!
Old 11-28-2023, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Herpolsheimer's Impact on Climate Change should be explored further. Carbon 14 dating to establish the age of the paper/cardboard used in the creation of all the real and faux Herpolsheimer exemplars is needed information. Who among you is certain of the value of Herpolsheimer carbon credits? Isn't everyone who deals in Herpolsheimers breaking the law including auction houses? Aren't more federal agents needed to monitor the Herpolsheimer card market? These are all relevant questions that need to be answered. You can't make this up, but I can.

Furthermore the gentleman in 1999 or 2004 who espoused the Fabricated Herpolsheimer Hypothesis (FHH) needs to be identified and subpoenaed for questioning. Was he/she really a dealer? Where was he/she born? Was he/she an interplanetary refugee transported to earth via asteroid? Is this all part of an intergalactic conspiracy? My friends on this forum, I fear, are merely scratching the surface of the FHH.

My advice is to forget the cards and invest in the Herpolsheimer short pants market, or should you "short" the Herpolsheimer long pants market. My advice to Leon is to be wary of Herpolsheimer pants flippers. Where there's a flipper, there's a scammer.

Carry on.
Frank for president except one clarification. The gentleman in 1999 and the one who sold the cards on eBay in 2004 were two different gents.
Old 11-28-2023, 07:51 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Brian, Post #295 has been edited to reflect your critique. However the 1999 gentleman could have been morphed into the 2004 gentleman, so I have left the pronouns ambivalent.

Do we have a Net 54 pronoun authority? I would respectfully decline such a position.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 11-28-2023, 08:03 AM
R@ndy Hart.soe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunboat82 View Post
Your overall point stands, but I have a minor quibble. The issue is not the "Brian's account is flawed in some unknowable way." The issue is that, even accepting everything he claims as 100% true, his conclusion that the cards are fake is built on several logical fallacies.

Even if everyone could agree that nothing is truly certain, the anecdotal evidence that these are fake is laughably weak. It reminded me of Thanksgiving this year, when my dad quoted the My Pillow guy as gospel and assured me that all the evidence I needed was that the My Pillow guy knows his stuff.
Reading this one post makes the former several hundred worth it!!!
Old 11-28-2023, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Brian, Post #295 has been edited to reflect your critique. However the 1999 gentleman could have been morphed into the 2004 gentleman, so I have left the pronouns ambivalent.

Do we have a Net 54 pronoun authority? I would respectfully decline such a position.
Frank,

I agree. The guy in 2004 could have been a "fake" of the 1999 version. Oh, I am so sorry. I may have to put one version of the gentleman on waivers and wave him goodbye. Oh, the humanity!

It's between you and Alfred E. Neuman for president next November.
Closed Thread