NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-16-2022, 07:25 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
Don't do that. He will do a 180 on you and take you on a 40 post rabbit hole into his vortex of the absurd. Consummate contrarian and his sole purpose here is to argue and insult to get attention. Not necessarily in that order though.
Uh oh, that would make him a …. wait for it … TROLL.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 03-16-2022 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-16-2022, 07:38 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Thanks for responding.

And it sounds like your terms specifically let the consignor know the decision is yours in deciding what to do if a bidder doesn't pay.

Obviously this Brady football case is one that no one likely ever thought of, but now it has happened. And the fact that attorneys could argue that the AH description was a significant part of why an auction winner could just walk away from a transaction, puts the AH in the crosshairs. Leland's may be between a rock and a hard place on this.

So Scott, you don't have to answer this if don't want to, I'll understand, but if you're in Leland's place, what do you do? For $500K you aren't going to use Option #1, at least I'd think not. The buyer and seller are okay and there's no court activity and expenses, but you're probably facing a huge loss when you go to resell the football. Option #2 would still leave the buyer happy, but the seller would be pissed as you've transferred the potential loss to them. And if your auction description was at least partly at fault, chances are the consignor sues you for either not going after the winning bidder, or for the loss in value via the subsequent sale. Either way, you end up making the seller whole, AND incurring a ton of legal expenses. And Option #3 pretty much has the same results as Option #2, except the seller takes the football and sells it through someone else, you still probably get sued by the seller to make them whole, incur a ton of legal expenses, but now you don't even get to offset what would have been your sales commission against what you may now owe the seller. And in this particular case I guess there could also be an Option #4, where you initially go after and sue the auction winner. But failing to win that case, you're still stuck having to face Option #1, #2, or #3, on top of the additional legal expenses you incurred from first rying to win the Option #4 suit. It seems like if you can afford it, and you don't expect to win in court, you actually might best off taking Option #1 right out of the gate.

What do you think?
I have to follow my conscience and return the money. If my consignor wants to litigate that decision then all the arguments that have been advanced in this thread come into play, but between me and my consignor instead of me and my buyer. How was the item listed on the consignment contract? If it was listed as Tom Brady's final TD ball then I think I have a chance. If it was listed in some more nebulous fashion I feel like I'm at risk.

I will say if my company had the $500k (we don't) and it wouldn't cripple us, I would likely pay the consignor. On my scale I have done things like that in the past, it's just my scale is much smaller. Doesn't mean I haven't had to suck up a few that hurt, just that pain is relative. I would think one of the HUGE auction houses shelling out $500k isn't all that different than me shelling out a few grand. That being said I really don't know enough about Leland's to know if they could absorb that kind of hit, and would never presume to say everyone should do things the way I would.

I'd be curious to see if this would be covered by errors and omissions insurance. At the very least my insurance company would likely get involved in the litigation if it came to that, to prove this wasn't an error or omission but an unforeseeable event and back to the arguments we've all been having. I know I'd sure as hell file the claim to get them involved if it came down to it.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 03-16-2022, 07:42 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I see what you mean, and obviously not well proof read either. For example, page 2 of 5 it says payment due within 30 days, or they can charge your credit card. On page 5 of 5 it says payments due within 14 days, and they don't take credit cards. Clear as mud. And no mention or referral of a binding contract or when it is deemed effective. Eek!
Old 03-16-2022, 08:38 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
I have to follow my conscience and return the money. If my consignor wants to litigate that decision then all the arguments that have been advanced in this thread come into play, but between me and my consignor instead of me and my buyer. How was the item listed on the consignment contract? If it was listed as Tom Brady's final TD ball then I think I have a chance. If it was listed in some more nebulous fashion I feel like I'm at risk.

I will say if my company had the $500k (we don't) and it wouldn't cripple us, I would likely pay the consignor. On my scale I have done things like that in the past, it's just my scale is much smaller. Doesn't mean I haven't had to suck up a few that hurt, just that pain is relative. I would think one of the HUGE auction houses shelling out $500k isn't all that different than me shelling out a few grand. That being said I really don't know enough about Leland's to know if they could absorb that kind of hit, and would never presume to say everyone should do things the way I would.

I'd be curious to see if this would be covered by errors and omissions insurance. At the very least my insurance company would likely get involved in the litigation if it came to that, to prove this wasn't an error or omission but an unforeseeable event and back to the arguments we've all been having. I know I'd sure as hell file the claim to get them involved if it came down to it.
Thank you for the very interesting and straightforward answer, and I'd probably agree and do what you did. I guess one major question can be who comes up with and is responsible for the actual auction description. I assume the consignor tells the AH what the item is, but that is probably embellished a bit by the AH then, so responsibility may be a bit murky.

And thanks for bringing up the insurance aspect. I totally forgot about that. It is another reason to go with your Option #1 if your insurer is on board. You watch, if this Brady football case ends up costing some insurance company big money, don't be shocked if down the road you see something about policy changes or new requirements from your insurer because of this.

Tell you what, I hope you personally never have to face an issue like this one yourself.

And from what I was just reading in Steve's link to Leland's auction terms, I think they may be in a worse position than I ever would have expected. Can only imagine what their consignment agreement and terms look like.
Old 03-16-2022, 08:58 PM
Frank Wakefield

The 30 day and 14 day differing due dates... that's a mess.

As to when it's binding, I'd say that's when a bidder bids.

When is the consignor bound, when he sends the lots to the auction house AND they agree to terms. After all, why do auction folks want you to send stuff to them up front... so the house can be sure of what it is and that the consignor actually has (read had) it.

It is a mess.

ONLY thing that comes to mind that could have compounded it... just imagine that PSA graded NFL footballs...
Old 03-16-2022, 09:18 PM

Has someone already asked what happens if it turns out the ball was deflated?
Old 03-16-2022, 09:45 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
The 30 day and 14 day differing due dates... that's a mess.

As to when it's binding, I'd say that's when a bidder bids.

When is the consignor bound, when he sends the lots to the auction house AND they agree to terms. After all, why do auction folks want you to send stuff to them up front... so the house can be sure of what it is and that the consignor actually has (read had) it.

It is a mess.

ONLY thing that comes to mind that could have compounded it... just imagine that PSA graded NFL footballs...
Good lord Frank, all we need now is a graded football, you're right, what a mess.

I still can't believe those auction terms include no mention of a bid being a binding contract. As I mentioned to Scott Russell, this Brady football debacle could get some AHs to maybe review and do a little updating to their terms and rules. LOL
Old 03-16-2022, 10:26 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Has someone already asked what happens if it turns out the ball was deflated?
Why would it be?
Old 03-16-2022, 11:11 PM
Greg C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyruscobb View Post
I would argue that the sale price ($518k) reflected the risk Brady would return. That is - the risk was already baked into the cake, and is the reason the ball "only" went for $518k and not more.

Over a decade ago, Barry Bond's final homerun ball sold for $750k. Adjusted for inflation, in today's value, the $750k is worth over $832k. Thus, Brady's "final" TD ball sold for just 63% what the Bond's ball would fetch today.

In 1999, twenty-three years ago, a bidder paid $650k for Hank Aaron's final homerun ball (#755). Adjusted for inflation, in today's value, the $650k is worth over $1.1M. Thus, Brady's "final" TD ball only sold for less than half what Aaron's final ball would fetch today.

Like Aaron and Bonds, Brady is a legend and among the greatest to ever play. I know baseball's number are more sacred, but I would expect the true final Brady TD ball to sell close to par with Aaron and Bond's final balls.

The sports collectible market has only increased since the Bond's ball sale. Brady is the greatest QB, and perhaps the greatest football player. The fact his final ball only sold for fractions, when compared with Aaron and Bond's final balls, tells me that the bidding reflected the risk that Brady would come back. If bidder truly thought Brady would stay retired, the ball should've fetched near $1M.

If Brady stayed retired then $518k could have been an absolute bargain. The winning bidder took a gamble that didn't pay out. If Brady stayed retired, the bidder got a tremendous deal. If Brady came back, the bidder could back out and cancel? Where is the bidder's risk? Letting the bidder off the hook gives the bidder all the upside with absolutely no downside.
All this is valid but the final HR ball from a
current HR King just seems to carry more weight
Old 03-17-2022, 01:23 AM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
Why would it be?

Well, Brady did deflate its value (at least temporarily) with his un-retirement. Further proving that he does like deflated balls.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 03-18-2022, 10:49 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
Why would it be?
To fit a medium flat rate box instead of a large one.
Old 03-19-2022, 07:31 AM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Don’t know if this is new information

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...n-charity.html
Old 03-19-2022, 12:40 PM
octavio ranzola

Has Leland’s commented on this at all?
Old 03-19-2022, 08:16 PM
Frank Wakefield

A thought, and in no way does this change my mind that the high bidder should pay for this ball...

But what if he doesn't buy it, they offer it down to the next underbidder, and the next, and the next, until someone finally buys it and the consigner is good with it...

And then, Brady gets hurt in a preseason game and retires. No subsequent touchdowns thrown. Now, that original high bidder DOES want to honor that bid, and claims he is now entitled to get the ball because at the time the AH and consignor allowed him to withdraw that high bid it was not foreseeable to him that the ball may well be the Last Touchdown Ball??? So now he does get the ball and that willing underbidder has to give up the ball??
Old 03-19-2022, 08:20 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
A thought, and in no way does this change my mind that the high bidder should pay for this ball...

But what if he doesn't buy it, they offer it down to the next underbidder, and the next, and the next, until someone finally buys it and the consigner is good with it...

And then, Brady gets hurt in a preseason game and retires. No subsequent touchdowns thrown. Now, that original high bidder DOES want to honor that bid, and claims he is now entitled to get the ball because at the time the AH and consignor allowed him to withdraw that high bid it was not foreseeable to him that the ball may well be the Last Touchdown Ball??? So now he does get the ball and that willing underbidder has to give up the ball??
That would be a clear waiver once he tells them he isn't buying it. He's out. The AH likely would make him sign something anyway relinquishing his rights.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 03-19-2022 at 08:21 PM.
Old 03-20-2022, 03:30 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch-Hitter View Post
Don’t know if this is new information

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...n-charity.html
That is interesting Greg, and clearly shows Brady was well aware of the football being sold. It also brings into question Brady's motives and doing what he did in announcing his unretirement right after the auction closed. I had heard rumors there was speculation in some corners that Brady may have intentionally done the unretirement announcement to get back at the seller because he wouldn't return the football Mike Evans unfortunately threw into the stands. Have no proof or basis, just repeating rumors heard.

Such a seemingly generous offer to donate a Bitcoin in someone's name may not be what it seems, and could easily be a stunt to throw people off from looking at this retirement announcement as a form of retribution that was supposed to impact the seller, not the buyer. Just look at this thread, can easily see someone initially thinking that the timing of the announcement would give the buyer reason to cancel and back out of the purchase, to the seller's detriment. But the person doing so may not have realized that the buyer may legally still have to go through with the transaction. So possibly as a PR move they offer to donate a Bitcoin in the buyer's name to the charity of their choice.

So what, that doesn't do crap for the buyer, he's potentially still out close to $500K. The donation is only made in the buyer's name, so want to bet who's going to actually get credit on their tax return for the charitable donation? It just makes you wonder a little more if there was something else going on.

Last edited by BobC; 03-20-2022 at 03:34 AM.
Old 03-20-2022, 05:09 AM
Jamie

Brady in some way has a relationship with Lelands as a few months ago he auctioned off a meet and greet experience for charity “This too shall pass” via WHIP Fundraising. That meet and greet is to occur in April. It is a fundraiser to benefit victims of the pandemic.

Last edited by Schlesinj; 03-20-2022 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-20-2022, 09:09 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlesinj View Post
Brady in some way has a relationship with Leland’s as a few months ago he auctioned off a meet and greet experience for charity “This too shall pass” via WHIP Fundraising. That meet and greet us to occur in April. It is a fundraiser to benefit victims of the pandemic.
In that instance, if he is working with Leland's you'd think he wouldn't want to do anything that could be detrimental to the AH. This whole situation with the timing and all is crazy. We'll just have to sit back and see how it all plays out.
Old 04-14-2022, 07:17 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

It looks like the sale was voided. https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ase-at-auction
Old 04-14-2022, 07:26 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by egri View Post
But a few posters were adamant it was cut and dry and said the buyer is stuck to the purchase despite the changed circumstances.
Old 04-14-2022, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter08 View Post
But a few posters were adamant it was cut and dry and said the buyer is stuck to the purchase despite the changed circumstances.
Since these adamant posters were wrong, they should be forced to pony up and buy this football at the runner-up bid amount.

Brian
Old 04-14-2022, 07:46 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Well in fairness to the people who expressed that view of the law, this was an agreed upon resolution, the issue was not litigated.

Old 04-14-2022, 07:49 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

I don’t doubt that this was a sticky issue, close call, and it begged for a settled resolution.
Old 04-14-2022, 08:04 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Reasonable solutions are always the best outcomes.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 04-14-2022, 08:34 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
BobC agree with your post mostly except this would probably be decided on a motion by a judge based on the listing and not get to a jury. I think it could go either way and will come down to who tells the best story and appears to be wearing the whiter hat so to speak.
I was re-reading the last page of this thread and found this amusing. Judges do not make motions, they issue rulings. It is attorneys that file motions. I have looked at thousand of dockets and have never seen a motion by a judge. Remember they are the arbiter.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 04-14-2022, 08:36 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
I was re-reading the last page of this thread and found this amusing. Judges do not make motions, they issue rulings. It is attorneys that file motions. I have looked at thousand of dockets and have never seen a motion by a judge. Remember they are the arbiter.
What Carter said is perfectly consistent with that. He didn't say a judge would make the motion, he said the case would be decided BY a judge ON a motion. That's perfectly understandable legal parlance.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-14-2022 at 08:38 PM.
Old 04-14-2022, 08:41 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
What Carter said is perfectly consistent with that. He didn't say a judge would make the motion, he said the case would be decided BY a judge ON a motion. That's perfectly understandable legal parlance.
Thanks Peter. Nearly 20 years of practice. Sigh.
Old 04-14-2022, 08:43 PM
Chris Kim
Banned

so Jeffrey Lichtman was involved, i guess one side of the parties wasn't too happy about it. It was a mutual agreement to void the auction.
Old 04-14-2022, 08:46 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter08 View Post
thanks peter. Nearly 20 years of practice. Sigh.
smh.

Old 04-14-2022, 09:40 PM
Joe M.

Quote:
But the posters are not always right. Right? I knew Josh and he was a standup guy. Set up at shows were he had tables. Consigned and bought from his auctions. Correct decision, a big hit for the auction company, but he left the auction site with his values. RIP Josh.

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13

Last edited by jcmtiger; 04-14-2022 at 09:53 PM.
Old 04-15-2022, 03:08 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
I see what you are saying. From my view the wording is a little awkward. Thirty seven years reading legalese. I still write simply despite the attorneys.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 04-15-2022, 05:41 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Reasonable solutions are always the best outcomes.
Agreed it was the right thing to do and it saved on the potential litigation.

Feel sorry for the seller. What a big pay day he misses out on

Would have been interesting if Tom Brady Un Retired a few weeks later after it was paid how it would have played out or been settled

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1917-20 Felix Mendelssohn Babe Ruth
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 04-15-2022, 06:59 AM
Al Stein

Quote:
That's what he meant to say, yes.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 04-15-2022, 07:05 AM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
That's what he meant to say, yes.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Internet warriors. Bravo.
Old 04-15-2022, 07:25 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Thanks Peter. Nearly 20 years of practice. Sigh.

You might get a chance to try it for real!

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 04-15-2022, 09:08 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Internet warriors. Bravo.
Seemed perfectly clear to me.

Old 04-15-2022, 03:19 PM
Jeff Carlson

If I was the buyer, I would consider declaring force majeure. Although, as a Bills fan, I would be loath to consider anything Brady did as an "act of God."

And, now, before the lawyers tell me what a doofus I am:

Last edited by carlsonjok; 04-15-2022 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-20-2022, 07:12 AM
Jay Shumsky

https://www.nj.com/giants/2022/04/me...-it-again.html
Old 08-25-2022, 06:52 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

It’s being relisted in Leland’s upcoming auction.
Old 09-18-2022, 06:36 AM
Chris Kim
Banned

Oh well.... the same ball only SOLD FOR $129,657.60 last nite even Lelands was trying to hyped up that ball in the past 3 months as the most discussed football in the history. I feel like this is the same case as "buy the card, not the holder" kind of thing.

https://auction.lelands.com/bids/bidplace?itemid=110677