NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-14-2012, 09:02 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyseymour View Post
Ah ok thanks.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:05 PM
Kenny Cole

Peter,

In my estimation, that's a good thing. I would be happy if the press never said anything about the shooter, he got no publicity whatsoever, and his name was buried for all time.

I really think the pub these guys get is part of what spurs the next guy with dreams of going down in history as a notorious mass murderer. If their names don't go down in history at all, I think that part of the impetus to go kill a bunch of people may be lost. That's my amateur psychological discussion for the evening.

I also understand that irrespective of whether or not I am correct, anonymity will never be granted mass murderers. News sells, and really bad news sells really well. How sad is that.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:08 PM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
Lol, I hunt pretrty frequently. What you're saying is you can't shoot, are a pussy, and need the extra firepower to make sure you don't get hurt. That is truly sporting. I can see why you need an assault weapon. Maybe you should try a bazooka. Think that will get it done?

Guys, I know this issue has a lot of us pissed off and rightfully so when we hear about things like this happening. However, not everyone is going to be on the same side of the fence when discussing issues such as politics, religion, gun contol, etc... Its a big reason theyre not encouraged on this forum. When topics like these do come up, we need to keep any discussion respectful and free from personal attacks. Nothing personal, just keeping the peace. Much appreciated.....
Old 12-14-2012, 09:10 PM
Kenny Cole

Brian,

Read the post I responded to. I meant every word I said.

Kenny
Old 12-14-2012, 09:12 PM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

And I meant every word I said. No personal attacks allowed on the board.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:15 PM
Kenny Cole

I put my name by it and stand by it. I understand your postion but do not regret for an instant what I said.

Kenny
Old 12-14-2012, 09:20 PM
Brian McQueen
Administrator

I understand you feel strongly about where you side in this issue. I also don't fault you for wanting to make that point known. But I need you and everyone to keep the discussion clean from this point moving forward. You can get your point across without attacking someone in the process. It's all I ask.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:24 PM
Steve K@mmɘyɘr

Sorry everybody ........ I'm going to make an on topic post.

What a horrible tragedy. Truly. I feel for the parents and families of all the victims. I feel for all the first responders/police/fireman that will live the rest of their lives with the images of what they have seen. Rooms full of dead children. I feel for the entire community.

So close to Christmas. Plans have been made, presents have been bought.

Sad.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:29 PM
Matt Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlighter View Post
There is not a system like this that I am aware of, but there are protocols in place. In schools in Palm Beach county there is whats is known as code red. All doors are locked, blinds are drawn and there has to be absolute silence, meaning no instruction during this period. It is tested monthly. In my experience it has only been used twice. Once when a student called the police saying that two armed men were coming to the school in a car, he was lying to avoid a test, special operations units were dispatched to the campus as well as a helicopter. The second time was when an armed robbery of a 711 had happened in the neighborhood. The protocol was utilized for half an hour, and everything was fine.

I attended two types of high schools one very large and one very small. At the large one with a enrollment of 2500 three armed police officers were on campus at all times. At the very small one with an enrollment of 250 one armed police officer was always on campus.

I found out just now that my son's school has this system in place. My mother-in-law is a retired teacher from there, she said each teacher has a button that alerts the entire school, with a bell, that it's time to lock the doors.

Every school, no matter how rural, should have this system in place.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:35 PM
Jeff

"There were 310 million nonmilitary firearms in the United States as of 2009, according to federal figures"

This figure sure stood out to me when I was surfing around the net today. With that many firearms out there, no wonder these horrific events occur. In my opinion, all guns should be banned. Police or military I can understand the need, but I never could understand why regular citizens need them, or are allowed to acquire them. I don't need one, and never will. Ban hunting too. Should have been banned when grocery stores were invented.

Prayers go out to all of the families affected by this, I have a little one in kindergarten too.

Always looking for interesting pre-war baseball & hockey postcards!
Old 12-14-2012, 10:18 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeefan51 View Post
As a country, we are trained to imagine the unimaginable.

We are so worried about due process and the rights of the sub-humans that
commit horrific crimes, we almost encourage violence.

Our recommendation is the death penalty by hanging or lethal injection for anyone convicted of murder. We should have a national gun ban. And to enforce the law, anyone who sells gun illegally is liable for the consequences.

E Bay should step up to the plate and ban the sale guns and weapons after January 1, 2013.

Drugs are another source of our culture of depravity. We should ban all illegal drugs- federally. Anyone selling drugs should receive a minimum 25 year sentence of hard labor. Anyone using drugs should lose any Federal Aid and lose their scholarship and student loan if if they have one.

We would be far better off if we banned the sale of liquor on college campuses and fined the owners of pubs, restaurants and clubs a minimum of $10,000 each time they sold liquor to a minor.

It is time for America to deal with reality. The only way to stop these crimes
murders, accidents and deaths is making the punishment so severe that it
will force everyone to think twice before breaking the law.

One additional way to enforce the drug and liquor laws is to hire students to turn those who violate the law into the police. For every student convicted
let's reward the student who identified the criminal with $1000 tax free.

Let's do what is Right For America

Bruce
I used to be for the death penalty, but it really doesn't work as a deterrent, costs more, and as someone else pointed out our system isn't always accurate. I do think it should be available, but used sparingly and only in cases where there's 100% certainty of guilt.

Ebay already disallows the sale of guns. It's been that way since I think 1999?

Illegal drugs are in fact already banned that's why they're illegal.

Mass is already close to that. Fine up to 2000 or/and up to a year in jail. Bars and restauraunts usually get a 3-6 day suspension of license for a first offense which means probably close to that 10K for a busy place. (And yet a person 18 and over can sell or serve alcohol- yes, we're kinda strange here)

Paid informants? Please lets not go down that road.

Steve B
Old 12-14-2012, 10:51 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
So what's the difference between us and Western Europe where this doesn't seem to happen? If it's not the accessibility or pervasiveness of guns, then what is it?
That's the big question.

Western europe has a range of gun laws.

I worked for a machinist from Switzerland. One day we were talking about the differences between here and there.

One thing that amazed me was that all men able to serve a brief time in the military. I think 1-2 years. Followed by a long period of being considered a reserve. The guys on reserve, and remember this is nearly everyone is required to have their issued weapon available. That means a fully automatic machine gun in nearly every home. They don't have much in the way of problems, and I'm convinced it's a matter of training and attitude with the attitude aspect being more important.

Steve B
Old 12-14-2012, 11:21 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
You need a special license for a fully automatic rifle. These people are using those type of guns, they are using single shot guns and maybe three-round burst but im not sure if you need a license for three-round burst.
Yes, you do need the special license for anything beyond semi automatic (More than 1 shot for each trigger pull)
The background check to get that license is very detailed. I've heard it's equivalent to the background check done for FBI applicants.
The permit is also expensive, and the transfer tax at purchase is $200 on top of all other fees and taxes.
It's been that way since 1934.
And since then precisely 0 crimes have been comitted with legally owned machine guns.

"Assault weapons" are simply a class of semi automatic firearms defined by the government when they were banned between 1994 and 2004.
Most of the things that defined a weapon as an assault weapon were cosmetic.
Semi-automatic rifles able to accept detachable magazines and two or more of the following:
Folding or telescoping stock
Pistol grip
Bayonet mount
Flash suppressor, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate one
Grenade launcher (more precisely, a muzzle device that enables launching or firing rifle grenades, though this applies only to muzzle mounted grenade launchers and not those mounted externally).

Semi-automatic pistols with detachable magazines and two or more of the following:
Magazine that attaches outside the pistol grip
Threaded barrel to attach barrel extender, flash suppressor, handgrip, or suppressor
Barrel shroud that can be used as a hand-hold
Unloaded weight of 50 oz (1.4 kg) or more
A semi-automatic version of a fully automatic firearm.

Semi-automatic shotguns with two or more of the following: Folding or telescoping stock
Pistol grip
Fixed capacity of more than 5 rounds
Detachable magazine.

Many guns used for legitimate purposes would also qualify.
I'm pretty sure the old shotgun my friend let me use to try trap shooting has more than a 5 round magazine. I'm not sure because the rules of the sport require loading only one at a time so I've never used it any other way.

As far as being designed for military use goes, the M1 a rifle designed for the military in the 30's and used extensively into the 50's and even 60's by the US and still in service elsewhere is one of the most popular for marksmanship. They can be made very accurate.
They're also popular for hunting and look like any other rifle.

I don't own any guns, and likely never will. ADD and guns are not a great combination and I refuse to become the guy who forgets the gun in the couch and shoots himself in the backside(or worse)

But the good ones are impressive bits of mechanical design and machining. I wouldn't mind having one based on that alone even if I never used it.

Steve B
Old 12-14-2012, 11:59 PM
James Wymer

I would ask that everyone says a little prayer for the families of these babies as well as the families of all the other victims. This story has broke the heart of a nation.
Always accepting quality consignments
Old 12-15-2012, 12:17 AM
Greg Ecklund

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb217676 View Post

This figure sure stood out to me when I was surfing around the net today. With that many firearms out there, no wonder these horrific events occur. In my opinion, all guns should be banned. Police or military I can understand the need, but I never could understand why regular citizens need them, or are allowed to acquire them. I don't need one, and never will. Ban hunting too. Should have been banned when grocery stores were invented.
That is so naive as to be childlike. Let us assume that you get your wish and guns are "banned" - what do you do with the ones already out there? Would you go door to door and round up the guns of those who have lawfully registered? That would be a wonderful way to instantly create an armed criminal class that is in possession of the many unregistered guns floating around the streets.

I do share your antipathy for hunting, but do not share your wish to ban it simply because you dislike it. Frankly, I find that kind of attitude disturbing at best - simply because you "feel" something is bad is not a legitimate reason to call for the imposition of your will on every other person in the country.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:28 AM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecklund311 View Post
That is so naive as to be childlike. Let us assume that you get your wish and guns are "banned" - what do you do with the ones already out there? Would you go door to door and round up the guns of those who have lawfully registered? That would be a wonderful way to instantly create an armed criminal class that is in possession of the many unregistered guns floating around the streets.

I do share your antipathy for hunting, but do not share your wish to ban it simply because you dislike it. Frankly, I find that kind of attitude disturbing at best - simply because you "feel" something is bad is not a legitimate reason to call for the imposition of your will on every other person in the country.
Your answer?
Old 12-15-2012, 12:32 AM
Greg Ecklund

What specifically would you like my answer to?
Old 12-15-2012, 12:36 AM
Ken McMillan

I find it disturbing that a 20 year old has a glock, a high powered rifle, and another kind of pistol legally! Or they were legal guns! Where was the background check for this person done? The latest I had heard is there may have been a history of mentor illness. Authorities need to really crack down on weapons background checks!
Old 12-15-2012, 12:38 AM
Dean

[QUOTE=sdkammeyer;1062924...
So close to Christmas. Plans have been made, presents have been bought.

Sad.[/QUOTE]

I've been through this, though in a very different way, with presents being purchased and never opened. One of the saddest things I've ever experienced. Somehow those prettily wrapped boxes just symbolize the potential lost with that life. A piece of that sadness never goes away. I can't imagine what the circumstances of these deaths add to that. Beyond what I can comprehend.

Leon, I give you great credit for letting this thread run the way you have. I'm not here much, but clearly to me it is a good thing for a close knit bunch like you have to be able to "let it fly" when something like this occurs. I imagine it has helped some folks deal with it in some small way, me included. Thank you for that.

my eBay auctions
Old 12-15-2012, 12:39 AM
Greg Ecklund

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac32 View Post
I find it disturbing that a 20 year old has a glock, a high powered rifle, and another kind of pistol legally! Or they were legal guns! Where was the background check for this person done? The latest I had heard is there may have been a history of mentor illness. Authorities need to really crack down on weapons background checks!
From what I understand, the guns were owned by the mother and not the 20 year old, unless reports have changed in recent hours. What the mother was doing with guns in the same house as a kid with mental problems is certainly a good question.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:43 AM
Ken McMillan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecklund311 View Post
From what I understand, the guns were owned by the mother and not the 20 year old, unless reports have changed in recent hours. What the mother was doing with guns in the same house as a kid with mental problems is certainly a good question.
You have a point there. And if they were mom's, she should have known better. Very scary. Why would mom need those kind of weapons? Guess they ended up being her demise.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:51 AM
Kenny Cole

Oh, you know, how to fix that ugly massacre problem that seems to pop up now and then, what to do about big clips that haven't yet been sold, but will be, how to make sure that semi-automatic rifles (which can actually be made automatic in about 5 minutes with a paperclip) are used only when the bear you dont hit good the first time (from your armchair) or the boar with big tusks is coming at you, stuff like that.

You seem to have a real good idea about what won't work, so I'm just curious to know what the fix is. On this issue, I'm just like a dry sponge waiting to be drenched with your knowledge. Please enlighten me. Thank you in advance.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:13 AM
Greg Ecklund

Quote:
Oh, you know, how to fix that ugly massacre problem that seems to pop up now and then, what to do about big clips that haven't yet been sold, but will be, how to make sure that semi-automatic rifles (which can actually be made automatic in about 5 minutes with a paperclip) are used only when the bear you dont hit good the first time (from your armchair) or the boar with big tusks is coming at you, stuff like that.

You seem to have a real good idea about what won't work, so I'm just curious to know what the fix is. On this issue, I'm just like a dry sponge waiting to be drenched with your knowledge. Please enlighten me. Thank you in advance.
So dismissing the "Ban all guns!" opinion (which, given the number of guns out there, IS naive) somehow puts me on the side of no limits on guns whatsoever? Go ahead and argue with the giant straw man you just put up, because you certainly didn't address any of my points.

If you want to have a civil discussion without being a jerk, I'd welcome it, but there's no point in responding if you're just going to be a derisive a-hole.

Last edited by Gecklund311; 12-15-2012 at 01:14 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:36 AM
Clayton

My condolences and prayers go out to all of the families of the victims of this horrible tragedy, and everyone affected by it. It is a sad day for sure.

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 12-15-2012, 03:14 AM
Rich Klein

as the Net 54 family we need to process and vent and say what we need to say. I do not want to talk about gun lawa or anything but my only question, if the gunman were still able to answer the question, is why pick on little truly innocent children. what did those children ever do to you?

Rich
Old 12-15-2012, 05:45 AM
Brock

Also why was the kid allowed into the school, don't they lock the doors and people have to get buzzed in.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:03 AM
nels0n aud.et

This thing is terrible...yesterday everybody in the garage where i work stopped working too see the news at tv...yesterday was a verry sad day...

I think everyone one condoleance on the planet goes for all these familly...anyway for my part in quebec my condoleance is with all familly involved in this tragedy.

Last edited by g_vezina_c55; 12-15-2012 at 06:05 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:49 AM
Bruce C@rter

I will respect everyone that does not want to own a gun because they think they are bad. That is there right as a citizen of this country. I do have a problem when people want to stomp on my rights and other people rights!

As far as people that say that these type of killings are a US problem and Western Europe does not seem to have this problem then here you go.

Ryan, Michael Robert 1987 UK Killed 16
Borel, Eric 1995 France Killed 15
Leibacher, Friedrich 2001 Switzerland Killed 14
Dornier, Christian 1989 France Killed 14
Bird, Derrick 2010 UK Killed 12
Izquierdo, Antonio 1990 Spain Killed 9
Palić, Vinko 1993 Croatia Killed 9
Hamilton, Thomas Watt 1996 UK Killed 17
Steinhäuser, Robert 2002 Germany Killed 16
Kretschmer, Tim 2009 Germany Killed 15
Saari, Matti Juhani 2008 Finland Killed 10
Breivik, Anders Behring 2011 Norway Killed 75
Merah, Mohammed 2012 France Killed 7
Tates, Karst Roeland 2009 Netherlands Killed 7

And the list goes on.

Last edited by Texxxx; 12-15-2012 at 06:50 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:21 AM
Mike L.
Mi.ke Leid.erm.an

I'd glady be in favor of legal guns if they were muskets. As it is, it's a system and industry that needs to be reformed and I'd be first in line for an all-out ban. "Responsible gun owner" is an oxymoron as even those supposed legal guns can still get in the hands of the deranged.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:23 AM
Ja,mie B.

Impressive post by texxxx. There is no easy solution. Doesn't mean assault weapons shouldn't be banned. One thing I did notice is that these spate of killings in the US really started in 2009, after the economy went sour. Yes, we did have Vtech in 2007, but since 2009 began we have had nine or ten different shootings.

Most of the time, it is the same theme; the shooter is male, a loner, and socially isolated or disturbed. This suggests that the problem is technology is making us more and more isolated as human beings and that some people, particularly quiet, sensitive males, are having trouble managing the level of tension that comes with a struggling economy.

I just think that overall, the vibe has been more tense in this country the last few years. America and its communities need to come together in a warmer way and make sure that everyone feels included and valued as members of our society. And get the economy going again with government support that creates jobs and makes people feel hopeful in their future.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:34 AM
Pete Sycks

Being an elementary teacher it's going to be tough explaining how my students should feel safe after that horrible tragedy. Kids shouldn't have to worry about violence at school now.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:46 AM
Ke.n K0hen

I obviously have no answers. However, I am disheartened by the knee-jerk reaction of some to punish law-abiding citizens by depriving them of their Constitutional rights due to the actions, however heinous, of a few.

My prayers go out to those parents that they can somehow get beyond this and recover to the extent possible from what is, as any parent knows, the ultimate nightmare - the loss of a child.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:01 AM
Steve K@mmɘyɘr

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdrx View Post
I've been through this, though in a very different way, with presents being purchased and never opened. One of the saddest things I've ever experienced. Somehow those prettily wrapped boxes just symbolize the potential lost with that life. A piece of that sadness never goes away. I can't imagine what the circumstances of these deaths add to that. Beyond what I can comprehend.
I am sorry for your loss and your experience.

As far as the hunting thing goes..... I have never touched a gun in my life. I have no desire to. Call me ignorant, but I am VERY thankful for those who do hunt. Without population control on animals such as deer, the human death toll would be astronomical.

I live in a rural part of Northwest Ohio. Farmland and forest around here. I can walk out my back door on any given morning and see numerous deer frolicking in the fields around my house. As pretty and naturalistic as it is..... the simple fact is that without a hunting season every year the United States would be overrun by deer. There are a few human deaths around here every year stemming from a car hitting a deer on the highway. I'm a numbers guy, and I feel safe in saying that 10 times more deer around here would mean 10 times more traffic fatalities.

Don't get me wrong, I am an animal lover ..... but I am also a people lover.

Furthermore, I am a firm believer that "guns don't kill people... people kill people". If this psycho kid was hell-bent on breaking into a school and killing 30 people I'm with the belief that it would have happened with or without a gun. Using a sword probably would have taken longer, but the carnage probably would have been much more ugly ...... either way the death toll would be the same.

Ignorance is bliss. In this society of instant information sharing I am forced to think about the way of life 50-100 years ago. Although the media doesn't "glorify" these horrible tragedies, they sure spend enough time covering them. The days and days that the media spends covering these stories is bait for the sick-minded people who perceive this as glorifying. These deranged shooters MUST be thinking "If I am going to go out, I am going to go out in a blaze of glory with guns flaring and tons of media coverage". I am only in my late 30's so I can't speak much about life pre 1970's but how often did these things happen before then?

It seems that since the Columbine shooting, and the weeks of media coverage that followed, this crap has become commonplace.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:21 AM
Ke.n K0hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyseymour View Post
Impressive post by texxxx. There is no easy solution. Doesn't mean assault weapons shouldn't be banned. One thing I did notice is that these spate of killings in the US really started in 2009, after the economy went sour. Yes, we did have Vtech in 2007, but since 2009 began we have had nine or ten different shootings.

Most of the time, it is the same theme; the shooter is male, a loner, and socially isolated or disturbed. This suggests that the problem is technology is making us more and more isolated as human beings and that some people, particularly quiet, sensitive males, are having trouble managing the level of tension that comes with a struggling economy.

I just think that overall, the vibe has been more tense in this country the last few years. America and its communities need to come together in a warmer way and make sure that everyone feels included and valued as members of our society. And get the economy going again with government support that creates jobs and makes people feel hopeful in their future.
CySeymour's second paragraph evokes a thought, not original, I have had for some time. I cannot prove it, but I cannot help but feel that an increase in the frequency of these horrid events stems somehow from a correlation between our mushrooming rate of digital connectivity and the isolation, paradoxically, it engenders in certain personality types. Social media makes it so much easier for extreme fringe elements to find each other.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:23 AM
Bill Gregory

There will be time later to debate the merits of finally making some real changes to gun laws and banning of certain weapons. Now is not the appropriate time.

All I know is that my heart broke last night when I talked to my father, and he told me what happened. I've been crying on and off ever since. And I know as bad as I feel right now, I know I'm going to just lose it when the names and pictures of the children that were killed are released. Knowing that these innocent little ones were just starting their lives just tears me up inside. And those wonderful teachers that were killed. These were good people. Teachers are heroes. They are underpaid and work long hours, but their impact in stimulating the minds of our young ones is immeasurable.

My heart goes out to the families who lost loved ones, and I pray that real changes are made so this doesn't happen again.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:30 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcohen View Post
CySeymour's second paragraph evokes a thought, not original, I have had for some time. I cannot prove it, but I cannot help but feel that an increase in the frequency of these horrid events stems somehow from a correlation between our mushrooming rate of digital connectivity and the isolation, paradoxically, it engenders in certain personality types. Social media makes it so much easier for extreme fringe elements to find each other.
This is what I told my wife yesterday. I think a contributing factor to this, and these types of tragedy, might be the new age of lightening fast information transfer around the world.

As for this discussion, there won't be anything solved on this board, and it's almost like a political debate. We'll let it go a little longer but please keep the "privacy" board rules in mind. If you want to get into a heated argument you need to be well known or have your name by your posts. Since the debate is sort of generic that rule isn't being as strictly enforced but it's still there. Also, after a while longer I can see this thread potentially being locked, so we can get back to what the focus of the board is. We are all an internet family and I don't see some debate like this being the demise of civilization as we know it. I am still very sad for the families and friends involved in CT. It almost takes my breath away when I really think about it.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:37 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
semi-automatic rifles (which can actually be made automatic in about 5 minutes with a paperclip)
It's nowhere near that easy.

There used to be kits to replace parts, but those required the same license as the actual full auto. And at some point I don;t recall what year all the ones with relativley easy modifications were required to be reenginered so it wasn't easy.

Steve B
Old 12-15-2012, 09:00 AM
Dan Lundrigan

Ok one thing is certain this nation will never be in agreement on gun control this is a fact! So to argue over it is pointless to me.
In my opinion what resposible gun owners can and should do is always keep their firearms locked and secured. I know some will say they keep a gun unsecured and at the ready for home defense. I can actually understand that reason though I don`t necessarilly agree with it, but ask yourself do I need "all" my guns readilly accesible?
The details of this tragedy are starting to emerge and it sounds as if the weapons were the gunmans mothers, I am wondering how were they secured? Were they really his and in her name to keep it legal?
If it were me guns and ammo are locked and stored separatly and not easy to gain access to. If someone lives in your home who has mental issues remove the guns from your home why give someone who is not thinking clearly access to guns?If it was too difficult to get at the guns maybe this tragedy never happens! I feel gun owners can never be too carefull when it comes to securing weapons in the home it wont stop all of these psycopaths such as the killer in Aurora but it may have prevented this one!
I own one .22 rifle that I inherited from my father it`s old as the hills and I rarely have shot it. I keep it in my home with the bolt action removed,any bullitts are kept at one end of the house in a locked box the bolt acton in another location and the rifle itself in another only I know where they are located not my kids! Since it is my only firearm and I am not really into guns I do not have a gun cabinet to store it in but to actually use it will take a bit of doing in it`s current state it is about as deadly as a baseball bat which by the way is my preferred weapon of home protection!
Old 12-15-2012, 09:07 AM
Arnie

My wife was a teacher then a little higher up in the school system for 37 years, and I am really glad she is now retired.

As to my feelings on guns:

You cant have a total ban on guns, but to me nobody needs an automatic anything. Guns for the public should be limited to 6-shots non-automatic. Maybe that would give some people time to escape while maniacs are trying to shoot them, if the maniacs dont have a ton of guns on them, they will have to keep reloading, and reloading should have to be one bullet at a time, not a clip. The guns we have a constitutional right to have was because back in those days you needed a civilian militia plus most people had to hunt for foods. Those are basically not valid reasons anymore except for the few who hunt for food. I also think that the founding fathers wouldnt want the whole population to have the incredible weapons we have developed. So have your guns, but have a 6-shooter that has to loaded one bullet at a time.

Last edited by dabigyankeeman; 12-15-2012 at 09:07 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:36 AM
Dan Lundrigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabigyankeeman View Post
My wife was a teacher then a little higher up in the school system for 37 years, and I am really glad she is now retired.

As to my feelings on guns:

You cant have a total ban on guns, but to me nobody needs an automatic anything. Guns for the public should be limited to 6-shots non-automatic. Maybe that would give some people time to escape while maniacs are trying to shoot them, if the maniacs dont have a ton of guns on them, they will have to keep reloading, and reloading should have to be one bullet at a time, not a clip. The guns we have a constitutional right to have was because back in those days you needed a civilian militia plus most people had to hunt for foods. Those are basically not valid reasons anymore except for the few who hunt for food. I also think that the founding fathers wouldnt want the whole population to have the incredible weapons we have developed. So have your guns, but have a 6-shooter that has to loaded one bullet at a time.

I share your feelings on this but they are not realistic. How do you remove all the guns out there already that do not fit your 6 shot limit? Maybe we should make all guns fire gumdrops? Thats not gonna happen either.
We really need to focus on keeping guns out of the hands of mentally unstable individuals when the courts identify someone as unstable or violent any weopons they have registered need to be taken away! Gun owners need to stay proactive and keep guns and ammo under separate lock and key,if you can`t load it you can`t shoot it.
Gun owners need to ask themselves how would they feel if one of their guns were used and someone was killed with it! Take a look at how you keep your collections stored and see if security needs improving.We read about it all the time, a child plays with a gun shoots a friend or sibling,a stolen gun kills an innocent person ect ect ect there are too many different scenarios to list. I wouldnt want it on my conscience that I could have done something more to make sure my gun collection was as safe as it could be.

As most responsible gun owners know already gun education and safety with your children is very important as well!

Last edited by bbcarddan; 12-15-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:41 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

For the most part everyone's ideas on how to solve the gun problem is based on personal feelings about what they believe is right. Unfortunately, this is not how the process works. And sometimes it helps to be objective and imagine what the other side on the issue is thinking.

Politics play a big part in this which is obviously a shame. President Obama never made gun control an issue during his first term because he was terrified of losing votes because of it; now that he's a lame duck I suspect this will change. It's sad that politics have such a huge impact on what is right and wrong on issues such as this -- the safety of our children; however, BHO is hardly the first president to be influenced by political concerns and I can't rightly blame him solely because of that. On the flip side, the Republicans are beholden to the NRA (and, of course, more non-NRA gun owners are Republicans as well) and God forbid the issue of gun control is even discussed for fear of losing votes or having that lobby after you.

No matter what is said on this or any other chat board, guns are not going away as they have in parts of Europe and Asia. Our country was built on guns -- they're not going away. However, I don't think it's so crazy for both sides to get together and recognize that there is a problem in this country with guns and the maniacs who are getting access to them and that something should be done. Getting rid of assault rifles is the usual first idea but assault rifles were not to blame in yesterday's massacre in CT. I still have yet to hear a cogent explanation on why such guns are permitted to be sold to private citizens but, again, making them unavailable to the average American will not end the recent spate of shootings. Until both sides of the issue sit down and discuss the matter honestly, without politics being in play, nothing will ever truly get accomplished.

Of course, more people are killed each year due to obesity and we're not clamoring for the removal of fast food chains from the landscape.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:12 AM
Peter Spaeth

Jeff, assault rifles are very useful in hunting wild boar, your response is typical of an elitist New Yorker.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:51 AM
Mike L.
Mi.ke Leid.erm.an

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Jeff, assault rifles are very useful in hunting wild boar, your response is typical of an elitist New Yorker.
Think this proves the answer is banning hunting of wild boar. No assault rifles needed then. Problem solved.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:52 AM
Matt Hall

Great post Jeff.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:42 PM

My only comment is I think the NRA is like the press (yes, I'm comparing the two) in that they put their emphasis on their rights over their responsibilities. And responsibilities go beyond what is covered by law.

Last edited by drc; 12-15-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:48 PM
Bruce C@rter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwinnerx View Post
Think this proves the answer is banning hunting of wild boar. No assault rifles needed then. Problem solved.
What most people here don't realize is that wild hogs have become a huge problem in the south. They have caused more damage than Sandy did. Money speaking. The problem is so large that states don't even require hunting license to shoot them. You can actually kill them anyway you want to. Day or night. The prefered gun of choice is a AR because of the mods you can put on them. Nightvision,lazer pointers,etc. People also prefer the AR for the high number of rounds in the clips. More rounds more dead hogs. The hogs run in packs so killing as many as you can before they run off is the object.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:20 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

wild hogs, really? Ban the nutjobs, not guns
Old 12-15-2012, 01:43 PM
Matt Hall

Absolutely Steve, I'm with you. They should ban mass murder.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:08 PM
Peter Spaeth

The news reports are now suggesting one of the weapons may have indeed been an assault rifle.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:36 PM
Barry Sloate

I'm on the side that believes there are far too many guns in circulation, and not enough gun laws in place. But I also realize even strict gun laws will not prevent some lunatic from getting a gun anyway and going on one of these rampages.

Nobody will get hurt by having stricter gun laws, you certainly won't have more shootings if it's tougher to buy a gun. And you might stop a few of these killers in their tracks.

But here is what pisses me off to no end: the intractable positions taken by that group of idiots known as the NRA. These are people who will never ever listen to others who might disagree with their rigid positions on gun ownership. These are people whose goal is to break any politician who dares to take them on and says there needs to be some changes in America. These are people who are deaf to everybody except their own.

Maybe it's time for President Obama, who no longer has to worry about reelection, to start challenging these guys. There is no room for any organization of any kind who refuses to make any changes whatsoever, even in the face of these mounting tragedies. There needs to be dialogue, and there needs to be some changes made on how gun sales are transacted.

No, it will not end gun violence. But it's a start and a step in the right direction. And responsible people will still be allowed to purchase and keep guns. There needs to be a much more rigorous background check on so many of these people who have a history of mental instability. Doing nothing and refusing to change will no longer work.

Last edited by barrysloate; 12-15-2012 at 02:38 PM.