NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-10-2015, 11:55 AM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvster View Post

Sean...we have true "no namers" here
Actually, it turns out that I don't. The Tinker has significant paper loss at the bottom. That is why the name is missing.

But still a really cool overprint.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:58 AM
Rob.ert Bal.ke

What is your problem
Old 04-10-2015, 01:41 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigb13 View Post
It that is 9k then what do you think Poland is worth?
What's my problem? Well, since you asked:

Your original premise is flawed. The card on ebay is not worth $9,000. If it was, someone would have bought it. In fact it belongs to Dan M., a board member and serious collector. But Dan likes to put his best cards on ebay with unrealistic BINs. I think he does it to show the cards, but if someone wants to pay way more than they're worth, then Dan will take it.

The other board members know this. That's why Rob said $25k. He was joking. If I'm wrong Rob will come here and correct me.

Remember on your Cobb/ Lenox thread when you said people told you it was a $25k card, and Jeff asked if any of those people actually offered to buy it at that price? Jeff isn't serious when he says $25-35k. Again, if I'm wrong Jeff can smack me down.

Or maybe I'm way off. Just prove me wrong. List your card on ebay or with an AH. If you get $25k I will gladly apologize. It won't be my first apology on Net54. But actually sell it for that price. Heck, sell it for half that and I'll admit I was wrong.
Old 04-10-2015, 02:42 PM
Rob.ert Bal.ke

Boy someone asks me to post a card and all of a sudden I am in the middle of drama you like fooling around with people do it with someone else.
Old 04-10-2015, 03:50 PM

Default First of all.....

Rob D -

you never has anything truly positive to say when it comes to this subject......everytime a value comes up, you have to revert to the "broadleaf 460 comparison in rarity"...comments I have made..at first, I thought you were just joking....... wtf??? dude, that is EXTREMELY LAME of you.............don't understand your beef....

I have never claimed to be anything more than a regular guy who loves T206 ...

I could give a rats ass what you think about my observations.....get over it!

scrap i have been collecting them since the late 90's.....doesn't matter if 206 scrap value is 1 k, or 100 k, I still love them....so Rob D, sorry you missed the boat, don't be a sore LOSER

Jeff- your comments I LOVE you are great people, and never poke fun at my scrap enthusiasm like some other collectors who become jealous...your sarcastic humor I enjoy, unlike someone else

Rob (BIGB)- your Poland I passed on for $750.00 in early 2000.....I am kicking myself ever since....!! so let me actually try to explain rarity pricing on scrap(may apply to other 206 rarities or other rarities similar in the hobby

EXTREMELY hard to assign a value to any of these scraps....each one is like a tiny piece of ART....

ok- here comes my business degree talking/engineering background:

some scraps appeal greatly to some , especially subject matter or "error type" on the card...

do we really need a formula here

uh.hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.i say NO

things to take into consideration-

variables:

1) market size???? -

growing greatly due to the exposure of scrap and education/understanding of them now......within last 15 years, the learning curve has been exponential!
before collectors thought they were "beaters"....they were "garbage"...well, now, it comes to fruition , the truth.....they were never meant to be!!!!..these mistakes became a "chase type card"..and turned out tiny pieces of "freaky" art.....almost "folkish" litho art.....hidden within these "freaks" are the key to the print process......some are even spooky and creepy THOSE I LOVE!

2) supply vs. demand-

how many over print ghost player scraps have you seen over the years???

well, I know, they aren't many......extremely rare, and each one unique onto themselves......

my Bender I wouldn't dream of less than 20 K....matter of fact, I have been offered close to that from other collectors, but I don't really sell my cards.....maybe some smaller ones....one day, they will be going toward wagz

The merritt/Crawford in Goodwin recently went past 15 k if I remember correctly????

these front overprint ghosts are too rare to assign a value....

I bet the Poland goes past 15 k that in a good venue, but I HATE to assign any price to these, they are too rare

but alas, I shot myself in the foot, because I can't afford it

3) subject matter- self explanatory

4) back - blank back scraps with an error/ rarer back( have seen almost no rare back scraps....nothing past a sov or epdg......I would love to see like a lenox scrap ect

5) card condition - I actually like my scrap a little beat up! adds more character....truly get the sense of it being "scrap" but some may prefer a cleaner example....which is almost "oxymoronic" considering these were actually little pieces of garbage

6) type of scrap- upside down ghost?? multi strike back??HOW DRAMATIC IS IT?? a big factor

these are some factors to consider when trying to estimate a value of these scrap...

but, inmho, they are priceless
Old 04-10-2015, 04:04 PM
Rob.ert Bal.ke

image.jpg
Old 04-10-2015, 04:04 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

I haven't read the entire thread and may be repeating what has already been said, but 'scraps' refers to two different antique card stock things.

1) The beat up, hand cut 'scrapped' cards-- ala T206s

and

2) the little Victorian era factory die cut pieces that were commonly pasted into album pages:

Pertaining to #2, a scrapbook filled with Victorian scraps and die cuts.

The below well known baseball card is a #2

Last edited by drcy; 04-10-2015 at 04:13 PM.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:54 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

John, I like the scraps as well but I have to control myself -- otherwise I'll have a whole new area of collecting I'll become obsessed with.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:05 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Amazing proof Jeff!
Old 04-10-2015, 07:15 PM
Sean Costello

Hey Jeff, do you know why PSA wrote trimmed on the flip? Do they consider hand cut and trimmed to be the same thing? With a missing color scrap, I just assume it to be hand cut.

Last edited by Sean; 04-10-2015 at 11:08 PM.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:21 PM

Default drcy....

thanks for throwing that in!

for our purposes here......we are referring to the "printer's scrap", especially t206

thanks always for your great input...

JEFF
I truly feel you have one of the best "eyes" in the hobby.....your collection is RIDICULOUS!

truly one of the best collections out there! btw....these scraps are like potato chips, tough to get just one or two

Sean...

one word- CLUELESS!!

psa didn't even know how to grade these back then......all scrap got the label "trimmed" or at least most of them.....back in the day, they didn't even holder blank backs

submit blank backs to psa, they would come back "no holder" or "no voucher" or "factory misprint" and not come back holdered
Old 04-10-2015, 09:23 PM

Default Jeff....

btw , the proof is incredible!!!!!

they were originally found in the same collection as the t206 proofs...

I talked to Rob Lifson about the find last year....

was a pleasure....you have a true piece of history there....very impressive sir!
Old 04-10-2015, 09:25 PM

Default who is

the ghost image catcher on the back??????????????????????????? of the proof????????????

holy cow! am I seeing things??
Old 04-10-2015, 11:52 PM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvster View Post
the ghost image catcher on the back??????????????????????????? of the proof????????????

holy cow! am I seeing things??
Johnny...you're a MONSTER when it comes to this stuff

I think the ghost image on the back of the T3 was discussed in a thread a while ago. I believe the catcher is Kleinow...
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 04-11-2015, 01:47 AM
John Mavroudis

I know it's not T206... but still excited that I just picked up this one...

1951 Bowman strip of two cards... overprint... front and back...

T206s are often out of my price range... but I'll keep looking!

www.zenpop.com
Old 04-11-2015, 05:42 AM

Default Mike..........

Your the Man!

Zen,

if you search hard enough, some times you'll find a 206 scrap "hidden" in a lot for cheap

it's like a treasure hunt

btw.......GREAT CARDS!
Old 04-11-2015, 06:38 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakhappy View Post
Johnny...you're a MONSTER when it comes to this stuff

I think the ghost image on the back of the T3 was discussed in a thread a while ago. I believe the catcher is Kleinow...
Yes, that is Red Kleinow's ghost image on the back of the Chase proof.

And Sean, what John said -- the grading companies have been all over the place when slabbing these cards with no rhyme or reason on which got an A designation.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:37 PM

This part of collecting, I know little of. What is opinion on this card?
Worn as it is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img087.jpg (73.5 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg img088.jpg (74.4 KB, 74 views)
Old 04-11-2015, 08:47 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Frank, I'm pretty sure that's just a damaged card.

You must have a real scrap tucked away somewhere
Old 04-11-2015, 08:50 PM

Chris

Thanks for being the first to answer.
Your wisdom has no bounds..........
Old 04-12-2015, 08:41 AM

Default Joe and Chris...

+1~

if even one border was "large" and "wavy" would be a lock as scrap even in that cond!